Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest White AleHitachino Nest White Ale

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001)
View: Beers (24) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest White Ale Alström Bros
shaburnke

GibbonsTheBeerGuy

07-20-2013 20:39:43 | More by GibbonsTheBeerGuy
icetraxx

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit, which I feel is much too warm for this beer/style, I placed my beer in my homemade blast chiller to cool it 10 degrees (so what if its made from aluminum foil and attached to the air duct in my freezer!).

A: Pours a light straw color into my Weizen glass with little suspended yeast and powerful orange highlights. I had to agitate the bottle to get some yeast suspended, which worked quite well. The giant 1 pint 8.3oz bottle poured a two-three finger head that is slowly dissipating, very sightly creamy, and sticks around for 3/4 of my pint. Has the potential to lace well, but I take small sips and splash the beer around too much to produce lacing while writing reviews. Carbonation looks crazy. Actually a good appearance for the style, but lacks the creamy Allagash White head.
Edit: The second pour revealed a lot of lacing as well as a creaminess to the head; raised score .5.

S: Wow, I am not sure where to start here. This is the second Hitachino beer I have had, and I can only describe their beers are intensely aromatic. The aroma has strong hints of fresh ginger, nutmeg, oak, earth, dried pineapple, orange, and as with my last Hitachino beer, many other aromas that I can not describe. Coriander is in there somewhere. Ginger, citrus fruity and earthy are the dominate aromas. I can detect a hint of grapefruit with the citrus. New aromas keep forming, what an amazing experience.

T: Very interesting. Sour, not Jolly Pumpkin sour, but the most sour I've ever had in a Wit. The malt seems overwhelmed until the finish, where a crisp un-malted wheat backbone tickles your tongue. Ginger, nutmeg, orange, and lemon are upfront. A hint of coriander tantalizes your taste buds on the rather dry finish. There is some sweetness that is balanced by the sour and dry finish. Bitterness is very low, hops seem lost, which is ok for this style as the coriander takes their place. The earthy aroma builds while tasting, eventually turning itself into another flavor dimension.

As I pay less attention while drinking my pint, the fruity flavors seem to come together to form a grapefruit like hoppy flavor (a Witbier with Hops!), and then a rangpur-lime like flavor forms. Overtime while drinking, new flavors are discovered and old ones fade away, what a complex Witbier; scratch that, what a complex beer in general. Near the end of my pint, the fruityness of the hops finally reveal themselves full force and transform.

-After-taste thought: The aftertaste of this beer is reminiscent of honey, orange, and grapes; what a fabulous combination. The best aftertaste I've witnessed in a beer to date (1-18-10). Sometimes the aftertaste reveals a lot of malted wheat. This is the most dynamic beer I've ever had. This beer takes the Witbier style and rewrites the rule book as far as taste goes.

M: Carbonation isn't as nearly as overpowering as I expected it to be, I am actually looking for a bit more carbonation than I am getting here. Sort of chewy and creamy when you roll the beer around in your mouth, unlike other beers, this one isn't doing it via carbonation. This is the thickest wit I have had to date.

D: Attempting to savor this beer whilst following the complex flavor changes over time is no easy challenge, I find myself drinking it rather quickly due to the pure joy and beer nirvana this beer provides. Another? $9? Here is my credit card, yes please.

O: Price and adherence to the style be damned, this is as good as Witbiers get, sorry Belgium and Allagash. This is the most interesting *beer* I've had yet, and from Japan, color me shocked. If you love regular Wits, watch out, this one may be an acquired taste. This beer is downright funky, and takes me the closest to beer nirvana I have ever been.

01-19-2010 01:20:32 | More by icetraxx
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

Hitachino Nest White Ale was served from an 11 oz. bottle. In a Duvel tulip, the beer was a soft and glowing hazy yellow-orange hue, and was topped by a small white head. The nose was just wonderful, with notes of coriander, orange juice, mango, and a lightly acidic grapefruit-like citrus. The taste was simply fantastic as well. It began with a orange-citrusy coriander-tinged firm and dry malt base that exuded a refreshing acidity. This acidity increased in strength through the finish, which left lingering robust flavors of bitter orange, ginger, black peppercorn, nutmeg, grapefruit, and coriander. I loved the interplay of acidity with the spicey accents. The body was excellently composed for the flavors, as was the vigorous carbonation. I really loved this refreshing and tasty white from Japan...beautifully done!

03-22-2004 05:05:04 | More by HiroProtagonist
TheGarvenator

Maryland

4.93/5  rDev +20%

A - pours into a hazy golden color with a limited foam head that dissolves gradually..

S - smells of citrus and orange peel

T - very citrus rich taste thats really crisp and refreshing

M - not really acidic nor does it hit you with an alcoholic punch....with a moderate body to it...

I LOVE this white ale....tastes waaaay better than Hoeegarden and Im standing by that accusation. It has so much flavor and the right amount of hops and cloves. Brilliant beer....I really recommend this beer to anyone trying white ales for the first time or fans of it...truly a delicious drink...

08-04-2011 01:06:59 | More by TheGarvenator
asabreed

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%

21 oz. very cool and oddly shaped bottle. Great artwork and not your average faux-bomber. Also looks way better than the shorter, stubby bottle version too.

Screw the pint glass, this is going into a tulip, otherwise I know I'll drink it too fast.

Appearance: A hazy golden and pale yellow, mostly due to some yeast kicking around I imagine. About a 1" head that dissipates quickly, and doesn't leave as much lacing as I would've liked. Great bubbles floating to the top though in a weird, curved pattern.

Smell: Holy good God man, this ain't no Wit I've ever had before. This is easily the best and also most unconventional nose of a Wit I've ever had the pleasure of trying to figure out. A spiced and dense field of herbs and flowers. But the thing is, even though there are so many spices, it's somehow deliciously balanced and aromatic: clove, ginger, coriander, lemon and orange zest, yeastiness, slight maltiness, but there's not much sweetness to be had in the nose. It almost smells to good to be true initially, but it's not. Easily a perfect score for me.

Taste: What I love about the taste is it has the dryness of a great champagne, with only the slight amount of perfect dextrin sweetness. A long finish occurs that fills the palate with the herbs and spices and yeast. I feel like this is more of a disease-curing elixir than a beer at this point, though it's certainly a beer too. All I can say is wow, because this is incredible, and even though it's in a category of its own, it's certainly a Wit, and it's certainly beyond remarkable.

Mouthfeel: Once again, spritzy initially like champagne, then settles into a slightly creamy body at the swallow. Thin to maybe-medium body, but not slick or watery at all really, due to the excellent carbonation levels.

Drinkability: Yes, super high, try this, try this, try this. AT 5% it's crazy not to indulge, but I did, however, pay about $8 for the bottle. And then again, now I see why. I'd recommend this to anyone. I hope it elicits the same surprising response in you as it did for me.

12-05-2005 23:28:44 | More by asabreed
cskysbread

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

decanted from a bottle into a wine glass.

A: a calm, powerful yellow, like sunshine reflecting off an aged oak floor in the a.m. the head, fluffy and titanium white, stuck to the rim and had a even distribution of bubble size which gave an almost uniform appearance. i am almost crashed my bentley.

S: wildly fragrant and perhaps the most fragrant white ale i've ever experienced. lots of florals and hits of solvent-like aromas. spicy in terms of herb flavors almost as if there was .01% clove and .1% cinnamon.

T: deep, well rounded body, yet simple enough to remind me of simple, sugarless lemonade. quite citrus-like in terms of a mild bite on the initial splash which yielded to a truly delicate spice profile. highly floral too. perhaps, lily-like. i think this beer is going to make me give up on wine.

D: if i had it my way, by usher raymond, it would keep running back to see me, like 'er day. this is the kind of beer i want to start drinking at 12 p.m. and stop only when my evacuated metabolites turns that beautiful, hazy and creamy yellow, incidentally, this would happen much sooner than you would expect because the 5% abv is well masked.

$4.89 for 11.2 oz is fucking expensive but if you've ever chiefed the good pots you'd know that you get what you pay for, at least in most cases.

05-26-2010 15:08:49 | More by cskysbread
brendan12

4.85/5  rDev +18%

I have always been a fan of Japanese beer and Belgian whites. Little did I know that I could have both in the same beer. I would highly recommend trying this beer if you have the chance and enjoy mild to medium flavored full bodied beers or are a fan of either style.

02-08-2013 04:01:59 | More by brendan12
51mmz0rz

4.85/5  rDev +18%

AC is broken.
I need something refreshing.
I reach for this beer.

A: Good head on first pour. White, fluffy, loose, and fading quickly. The body is dark yellow and cloudy, with bits floating around. No lacing to be found here though.

S: Heavy spiciness and definite citrus, mostly orange. I love it.

T: Quick yeast spiciness followed sour bite, with citrus aftertaste. Slight hoppyness and bitterness. Complex, interesting, and refreshing.

M: Pretty heavy on the carbonation, but good overall mouthfeel with mouthwatering finish.

D: Nice and refreshing, nothing overpowers or lingers for too long.

I was surprised and delighted that this beer was so good. I would get it again, if only it was cheaper. Still, on a special hot summer day, what a beer.

07-13-2006 18:53:09 | More by 51mmz0rz
WeezyBoPeep

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Not digging the small sized bottle.

A: Milky, creamy tan with a yellow hue. Head all but disappeared after a few sips, but the carbonation was great throughout.

S: Extremely fragrant beer. I get lilies, rice, flowers, spices, black licorice, tea leaves and sweet soap.

T: Complex, creamy body with a spicy, citrus tanginess that refreshes. Traces of spices and cinnamon on the lingering finish. No unpleasant flavors at all going on here.

D: I could probably drink these all night. The 5% ABV is very, very, very very well hidden.

Value: Pricey, but you get what you pay for. I'm hard-pressed to think of a witbier I've enjoyed this much.

05-06-2010 00:32:03 | More by WeezyBoPeep
TheLongBeachBum

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Presentation: 11 fluid ounce Japanese stubby just like the one in the BA picture.

Appearance: Large voluminous white head at first that builds upwards as you pour. Slowly settles to a solid uniform ½” white head that leaves no lacing whatsoever. The body of the beer is a lovely golden color that has a light haze, with some continual streamers. High levels of carbonation assist the head, almost perfect looks but the head tends to break a little early.

Nose: Zesty aroma with a strong orange odor. Some spices and coriander in the back end. Incredible nose on this White Ale! Beautiful – one of the best noses on any White Ale that I have ever inhaled.

Taste: Wow, this is incredibly spicy with a strong orange peel feel. This has everything in perfect balance. A Wheat Ale with orange zest, sharp lemon flavors (that sooo reminded me my Mums Lemon Meringue Pies that she made), ginger, coriander and a light cinnamon feel. Incredibly refreshing and very lively, yet the finish on the mouth has a long lingering citric bite that seems to go on forever. Very impressive.

Mouthfeel: Immense carbonation on the tongue that is far from spritzy but smooth and perfectly balances the acidic orange and spices in the Wheat Ale.

Drinkability: Well, I cannot find fault with this beauty at all. Maybe the citric acidity will become overwhelming, well perhaps after the 20th bottle!!!

Overall: After the good impression I had once I tried the Celebration Ale 2004, when I spied the White Ale I figured I would give this one a whirl also. Not exactly inexpensive, but well worth splashing the extra coin on this one.

01-03-2004 02:09:19 | More by TheLongBeachBum
theboozecruise

Louisiana

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

By far one of the best beers I've had, and also one of the harder beers to find in my area.

I had this beer straight from the bottle at a local bar known for a strong beer selection.
The aroma hit right away, very strong, full of spices that made me think immediately of Belgium, but also some different flavors evoking a thought of the far East.

The taste is no different, a cornucopia of flavors on the tongue that will not fail to disappoint.

Definitely try this one if you get a chance!

09-16-2008 18:30:57 | More by theboozecruise
corey0212

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours an incredibly hazy/murky orange-yellow color, head fades really fast, no lacing to speak of. There's so much going on in the nose on this beer...orange, ginger, coriander, clove...wow! Taste is an amazing citric blast, some wheat flavors, some lemon zest, and a hint of pepper. Crazy-active carbonation, really refreshing tiny bubbles, and just a hint of bitterness at the end. A little sticky, yet somewhat drying. I picked this up on a whim from The Wine Gallery near Fenway Park, but if this was something I could get more easily, I'd be drinking this all summer. Incredibly tasty, and very refreshing. Awesome beer!!

06-25-2008 00:08:07 | More by corey0212
queenboadicea

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

After revisiting this beer (possibly for the last time for a while, since our local distributor has decided to stop carrying it) I remember why it is one of my all-time favorites. The nose hits you with a burst of freshly ground cardamom and a slight hint of lemon and citrus. The color is a very light gold, with little to no head, but fine, tight bubbles. The flavor can only be described as exotic. You get some of the cardamom and citrus that you find on the nose, but there is also a slightly fruity character similar to star fruit, or perhaps papaya. Very clean finish, with little to no bite. It is one of those rare beers where you get a slightly different flavor every time you take a sip, so it doesn't get boring. It also pairs exceptionally well with food (especially- go figure- sushi!).

Since wine usually doesn’t pair well with spicy food I recommend this beer to people frequently when they come into the store where I work and ask for something to go with hotter fare. It will take the sting out of the fieriest Asian and Indian foods.

A small word of warning- When first opened, this beer can sometimes give off a skunky, cheap-pilsner smell, but it usually dissipates quickly. A great summer beer, if you are looking for something other than a pilsner or a weiss beer. I will miss it dearly!

04-03-2003 19:07:55 | More by queenboadicea
JaredKent

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Bottle, Poured into a Tulip Glass

Appearance: A thin, white head, no bigger than half a finger, forms on the immediate pour. This quickly dissipates into a nice foam over the top of the beer. Hazy and golden in color, this is a perfect looking white ale. About a 6 SRM.

Scent: Coriander is the first thing that hits my nose. Definitely has the spiciness of a traditional Belgian Wit. There is a bit of citrus towards the end, no doubt from some orange peel. The aroma carries a fantastic wheat scent that doesn't overwhelm the nose and works perfectly with the spice.

Taste: This beer is unmistakably a wheat ale. Definitely some wheat flavors on the front followed by hint of citrus. As the beer sits in your mouth there is a very slight acidity. On the finish you get the spiciness followed by a hint of bitterness, both from the hops and the orange peel.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth on the mouth with a light body. Upon hitting the tongue you immediately feel the high levels of carbonation dancing in your mouth. The effervescence complements the spices perfectly.

Overall: I've had a few White Ales cross my palate and I've become disappointed by anything outside of Belgium. American White Ales are lacking the warm, spicy flavors that are typically associated with a Belgian Wit. Most American Whites I try are very light in body and taste. This Japanese White Ale has reassured me that I don't need to stick with the Belgians to get a quality White Ale.

12-28-2011 02:39:26 | More by JaredKent