Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 516 | Hads: 1,372
3.27/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

11.2 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass at approximately 45 degrees F.

A: Pours a cloudy deep golden straw, and forms roughly two fingers of white head that dies swiftly to a ring. Carbonation flows continuously from the bottom of the glass.

S: Funk swirls out of the aroma first, almost leading me to wonder if this is actually a saison rather than a wit. Citrus and spices follow, wreathed in the mustiness, and a very faint touch of wheat brings up the rear.

T: Wow, that's citrus - this beer is extremely heavy on the orange notes. The musty funk from the scent carries through to the taste as well, as if one is drinking orange juice that is just past it's "drink by" date and is starting to turn sour. Some spice swims far off in the distance of the flavor profile, though I'd be hard-pressed to pull individual spice notes out from the blanket of sour orange juice. At the finish, there's a distinct carbonation sharpness and bite.

M: Light and highly carbonated, this is a sharp, dry beer.

O: Were this beer classified as some form of saison, I'd be all about the sourness that's present. It seems a bit out of place for a witbier, though. I can appreciate why this is rated as highly as it is, given the tendency towards appreciation for sours/wilds and intense flavors. I find this to be a very simple, club-you-over-the-head-with-a-single-flavor beer, which is not what I'm looking for in any Belgian style. Not my favorite wit. (1,446 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Undated (and unsized unless I read Japaneese) bottle

A - Pours a hazy gold color, a littl edark, with lots of visible carbonation. The 1 cm head is retained for some time.

S - Spices are the dominant nose on this one. My guess is that it is mostly clove and secondarily coriander. I think there i some what of a orange zest background to it.

T - It starts with some bitterness, with some of the malt coming through. Not much connection with the smell. The aftertaste on this one is not my favorite. There is nothing there, but perhaps some orange peel backdrop. All and all not strong in any aspect.

M - This feels dry to me - its got a bite to it. It has alot of carbonation as well that goes along with it.

D - An okay drinker - although the carbonation is a bit strong which would slow me down.

I really wanted to like this beer. I think drinking a Belgian White from Japan is pretty cool. But, like my first unreviewed time I had it, I was underwhelmed. Perhaps this thing is just to bitter and dry to get it done. And, this baby being so pricy doesn't help. (1,068 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18%

My experience with Japanese beers has been Asahi and Sopporo, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I suppose those are just Japan's macros. Much better than I expected.

Poured a little cloudy, a ale yellow color with white head that disappeared fast.

The yeast was very powerful on the nose, wheat and a little funk... I think the beer might have been a little old, I don't know there's no date on it.

The wheat was a little thick, usually white ales tend to be very 'refreshing' to drink; this was not the case with Hitachino Nest. Sweet on the tongue and finished quite dry.

Best Japanese beer I've had yet. I'm more open to trying more from the land of the rising sun in the future. (689 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%

My first review, so here goes:

A: Poured from a uniquely-shaped 8.3 fl. oz. (1 pint) bottle into the largest mug I could find in my cabinet. Body is opaque orange-yellow with a cloud-white head. Tiny bubbles dance upwards thru the body, I applaud the presentation.

S: Whoa! Before I even brought the mug to my nose, I received a blast of spicy aroma. Taking two whiffs, it was almost overbearingly spicy with layers of coriander and something clove-like. Recovering from the initial blast, I now sense the wheaty-goodness and a faint smell of yeast. Decent but too pungent.

T: An instantly refreshing first few sips complete with classic style characteristics dominated by orange and, is that a lemon zest? A bit flowery and sweet throughout, plus there's the mild unbalance as the spice dominates the aftertaste.

M: Medium-thin, slippery, blissful mouthfeel that is the highlight of the experience. Slightly high carbonation is my only semi-complaint.

D: As I'm a bit more than halfway thru the pint, I've enjoyed most of what this Wit has to offer. But I don't see myself getting over the spicy zing that takes over from nose to finish, which crowds out the lovely citrus and wheat notes.

Comments: As a variation of the Wit style, Hitachino Nest White is undoubtedly original. I like that the brewer takes risks, many of them paying off - its mouthfeel is fresh and smooth plus the appearance is delightful - but the intense spice profile is a couple notches too high. Overall, it is a pleasant ale with one noticeable flaw. (1,533 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance – Light yellow and wonderfully hazy in color with a pretty good head.

Smell – This one had a monster coriander aroma that took control of the nose. I could also pick up some orange and maybe a bit of yeast.

Taste – A good portion of the coriander from the nose found its way into the taste. There was also a bit of orangish sourness and a light yeast backbone.

Mouthfeel – I thought the mouthfeel was a little clumsy. There was some significant carbonation but the body itself was thin-feeling.

Drinkability – This was OK, but I probably wouldn’t look for another. (593 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Pint glass at South Park Tavern.

A: Cloudy pale yellow-gold color, with a thin head. Very cloudy.

S: A little bit of a musky smell.

T: lemony bitter taste with wheat, hay and grass notes.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated with a lemony bitter finish.

D: Light summer beer, that goes down relatively easy. The tart lemony flavor is a bit strong and might prevent me from having more than one of these. (405 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17%

This beer pours a straight, glowing, yellow straw that is plenty foggy with a few suspended particulates. The head consists of a collar of white. Looks good.

Smells of dried pears, lemon zest and a slight wheat yeast. There’s also a little salt in there. It also smells like… dirty urinal? WTF!? How did that get in there. That’s not a good smell.

Tastes very much not like a urinal with pear, lemon and a pinch of ginger, a sour musky yeast, wheat and a big citrus sting along the edges of my tongue.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a tiny bubbled carbonation that seemed to be a bit much.

The smell was a big turn off along with the distracting carbonation. (688 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17%

Appearance- Pale yellow color with zero head.
Smell- Not much going on.. faint citrus and maybe some banana
Taste- Slight citrus, wheat, coriander
Feel- Good carbonation.
Overall this beer isn't anything special.. a step up from blue moon... would go well with some sushi. (272 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle dated H.14.02 and served in pint glass. Beer is pale yellow in color, with big soda bubbles rising towards a white head. Actually it looks like cloudy mountain dew. And as cloudy as it is, there's a significant layer of trub still left in the bottle. Pleasant lemon-citrus peel aroma, though.

Flavor is neutral in the grain department, thanks to a healthy load of wheat in the mash, with a coriander flavor front and center, taste profile wise. Orange peel comes out as well. Except for the heavy dose of carbonation is quite drinkable and enjoyable. But as a witbier I think the gimmick of high-quality craft brews from Japan that aren't adjunct lager has kind of worn off by now. I'm certainly less excited about this now than I was when I first tasted it years ago. (784 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It was a nice warm Sunday, so I tried a big 750 ml bottle of this poured into a shaker style pint glass..

A- It poured orange-gold, very cloudy, with a snow-white head, which dissipated quickly.

S- Coriander and citrus very prevalent, some banana and clove.

T- Powerful coriander and orange peel taste. Very powerful flavor.

M- Medium body, but very light drinking, since it was bottle conditioned it was smooth.

D- Very refreshing, a good summertime beer. (471 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance - Hazy pale yellow, 1.5 finger head, low carbonation. Head fades quickly.

Aroma - Big on the coriander and nutmeg. Light citrus character along with the tangy wheat malt and adjuncts.

Taste - Sour citrus notes, like a mix of sour lemonade and orange juice up front. Although they don't use any I'm getting some ginger notes as well. Definitely get a mix of nutmeg and coriander in the end with some tartness. Medium body. Almost a completely dry finish though.

Tangy and refreshing, great for a hot day. (517 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours gold/pale amber with a small fading head.
Nose shows doughy wheat with coriander, nutmeg and very faint citrus.
Similar flavours, although the nutmeg is more powerful. A bit too much spice. And too sweet.
Body seems a bit thick. I would have like it to be more spritzy and refreshing. (290 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

From notes 12-21-08

Done horizontally with St. Bernardus Wit

Eye: While pouring it is obvious to see why this style of beer is called wit, the beer as a stream into the glass is much more white than yellow. As a collective in the glass the color is a very hazy whitish straw gold. The head is very large with excellent retention and great head formation. In texture I'd say that the head is part cloudy/pillowy part rocky. Lacing is thin rings with gaps between each subsequent ring. 4

Nose: When poured into the glass the aroma of orange and other like citrus aromas fill the room. To the nose much more the same, strong orange aroma and some definite notes of coriander in here. Some minty aromas come into play as well, herbal and fairly green, wintergreen aromas too. Very classic wit aroma, smells great. The only beef I've with it is a small tin-like/metallic aroma I'm picking up.

edit: another beef...the more I keep smelling this the more that I get trough urinals filled with urinal cakes, specifically the pink ones. Each time I take a smell of this beer the aroma changes on me and something else comes to mind. Sometimes it smells good to me, at others well urinal cakes...weird.

Tongue: The spice coriander is very forward in this brew, so much so that I could tell someone who didn't know what coriander was like in beer, and tell them that this is it. Lemon notes are here as well as some orange tones, curacao specifically. I find an off taste as well, something more metallic, or tinny. Hops are citrusy with hints at evergreen and piney flavors, mint as well. Overall a nice wit, but nothing to really brag about. Good, but I've had better.

Feel and Drinkability: Light in body with higher levels of carbonation as is appropriate. Finish is just right, I can see this being very refreshing on a hot day. Curacao tones in the finish with a twist of mint. This one is easy to drink, though I doubt I'll be buying it again anytime soon or at all for that matter, especially considering the price at about $8 a bomber. It was nice to try but I'd rather go for Wittekerke, or even better Southampton Double Wit...better beers, more volume less money. (2,172 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Flew the coop with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Milky yellow to straw coloring, almost to the point of light green, with gently ascending carbonation throughout. A film of head, but really nothing to write home about – the nest was a little bare. Fruity lemon/lime esters on nose with a huge hit of mixed sunshine composed of equal parts sweet and sour from a perceived grapefruit aroma. That same grapefruit was the first thing noted to taste, with a nice juiciness which left a lingering note on the tongue. Some light clover aspects were noted as well. On the whole, this was entirely refreshing on a muggy 85-degree day in the heart of Davis Square.

If this offering is made with rice, bring on the Kokuho! (754 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Tasted from bottle at Lush Roscoe. Pours pale orange with a thin white head that recedes quickly leaving minimal lace around the glass. Nose of yeast, orange, and spices, including coriander, cinnamon, and a hint of nutmeg. The orange flavors come through nicely with the spices mostly subdued until the back where nutmeg, coriander, and a hint of cardamom come through. The body is light with average carbonation, an oily texture, and a medium spiced finish. (459 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle marked H.13.07 at 45 degrees into standard pint
Faint aroma of orange
Head average (3 cm), white, fizzy, completely and quickly diminishing to a 1 – 2 mm ring
Body medium yellow, murky
Flavor begins with a subdued orange sweetness, and ends sweet, with no flavor; no alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl
Palate medium, somewhat creamy, lively carbonation

The fizzy head that totally disappears coupled with the murky body detract from the visual appeal of this beer, but the light orange taste and aroma help redeem this. The price point is high, and makes this a questionable candidate for multiple drinks. (610 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from bottle to snifter.

Appearance - Straw hazy yellow with lots of sediment and poured with a 1 finger foamy head that dissapears quickly. Leaves a small amount of lacing.

Smell - Peppery, grassy and smells of coriander and other spices. Very spicy smell. A small amount of wheat malt detectable but not much else, very spicy grassy smell overall.

Taste - Peppery with coriander and ginger finish. The beer has a bit of sweet wheatness to it but not much else. Very exotic tasting and unlike anything I have ever had. A bit of a funky end on the finish, no bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Very light and effervescent, not too heavy at all, good on the tongue for the style.

Drinkability - One of these is plenty for me, I am sure if I was more used to it I could handle much more, its probably not the beer here, its me. (837 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Straw-colored with a lovely towering head, smells like wheat, orange peel and a sugary clove. The taste is the same, floral hops, wheat malt, a bit of coriander, orange--a nice wit? But it's muddled in the finish. My boyfriend and I both agreed there was something odd in the last bit of the taste but weren't sure what it was--now he's suggesting mushroom? I'm willing to go on record with that.

I also found the mouthfeel a little heavy, even kind of soapy, without a crispness I wanted, and ultimately don't know if I would buy the beer again--there are much better wits out there. (585 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Best before date of Sept 2011.

owl on the bottle cap

pours a hazy yellow with thin head.

very aromatic. spices, fruit, marmalade comes out right away. a bit soapy smelling, floral. nutmeg and ginger lots of ginger aroma.

sharp acidity. ginger comes through in the taste. slightly watery mouthfeel despite the sharpness.

leaves a clean freshness on the palate, inviting you back for more.

the beer is balanced to the point that i dont recognize much malt or hops in the flavor.

the sharp carbonation and acidity reminds of drinking an orangina pop with booze.

solid and interesting but probably better on a hot day not a rainy damp one. (643 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured a hazy light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a lemon zest and coriander.

The taste was upfront bitter lemon with some softer yeast esters and spice.

The mouthfeel was toward the thinner side of the style.

Overall a decent wit. Say too sour for my taste. (340 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

The Owl is staring right at me.

Best before date 2011.09

Pours a cloudy straw colored body with light and bubbly white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Spots of lacing like white owls flying above a frothy gold and white sea below..

As soon as I poured it there were hints of sulfur..but they faded..perhaps the batch was brewed in haste.

Aroma and flavours of wheat, yeast, spices, coriander, sweet orange..

Nice carbonation typical of the style. Dry and overall a very nice Japanese White Ale. To be honest, I drank two in a row but I really don't see why it get's all this praise. Not sure if I'm just not getting it or if this was a bad batch..it probably could have been fresher. The LCBO seemed to have held onto it for quite some time..I'll have to give it another try some other time. (803 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice yellow with two finger head, which soon disperses.

Hoppy aroma with some woody notes. Taste is consistent with the smell, but with a bit of apple or dark citrus at first, a jolt of coriander, and something sort of flowery at the end as the taste evaporates.

Feel is thick enough for a white ale, but still rather thin. Wouldn't bathe my kid in it. Good beer, but nothing special, and definitely not worth the $6 sticker. (436 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Hazy pale golden-yellow color, spicy, peppery and earthy citrus aromas, huge white foamy head that sticks to the sides of my glass. Spicy pepper, coriander and citrus flavors, crisp and spicy carbonated mouthfeel, finishes clean and dry, has a funny aftertaste, very refreshing and tasty. (288 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

this beer pours a light straw color. Fizzy pure white head blankets the surface. Bubbles bloom throughout the session. I smell fine pilsner malts in the beginning but the aroma takes on what appears to be a strange BO type smell to me. I have heard others descibe a barnyard scent in beers maybe this is it. There is a certain floral grassy like smell that I have never encountered. It may be strange but it is bold and assertive which I like. The taste is not like your typical wit. It is very spicey kind of like a light tripel. There is some pepper, a strong taste of turmeric powder, cinnamon. And nutmeg flavors throughout and just enough hops to make it slightly bitter. There seems to be a lot of carbonation to this beer from the looks but it does not overtake your mouth. I would say it is a typical Mouthfeel for the style. I will not buy this again but it is very interesting. Not your typical wit. (909 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -13.3%

Purchased from Whole Foods, Chicago. After reading in "All About Beer" about their cedar-aged IPA, I had to try this, even though it’s not the same beer. It has a very pale and cloudy color. Kind of lemony like a hefeweisen, but then I picked up a big nutmeg taste (before I knew there was nutmeg in it). Coriander makes an appearance, too. And I do get a cedary taste with this beer after all. It’s good to see some craft beers coming over from Japan and discovering brews beyond Sapporo and Kirin. (501 characters)

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery