Follow our progress ...

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 533 | Ratings: 1,469
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a beer my brother raved about for a while after he discovered it last year. I came across some bottles and decided to put aside my prejudices that something of decent quality can't come in such an adorably twee little package. Though that said, I do kinda want to hug this bottle. Super-kawaii.

I'm either too indie or not nearly indie enough, having recently acquired some completely unbranded pint glasses, so I'll be using them until I figure out which. Opened the 12 oz. bottle carefully, as my girlfriend has requested that I save the bottlecaps so she can make more earrings. Poured a cloudy, sickly yellow color. Maybe half a finger of head, dissipated rapidly and left no real lacing to speak of.

What's lacking in the visual aspect is more than made up for in the smell. Tons of lemon, ginger, yeast, the hopes and desires of a nation struggling to return to their daily lives after a tremendous metaphorical and literal upheaval.

This beer tastes exactly like an awesomely fucked-up glass of orange juice. Citric and plenty hoppy for my personal tastes. Some nice spices, too; nutmeg and maybe a little bit of cardamom. Light and airy. I wasn't expecting the carbonation to be this nice, given the poor head retention. Tremendously refreshing on a warm day.

Tasteless jokes aside, this brewery has done a tremendously good thing by temporarily shifting over their bottling capacity to supply water to the earthquake victims. Not only do they make great beer, but they're great people as well. Though that does mean I'll be hoarding any bottles of this nectar I come across until Japan achieves normality.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

A - The beer pours a light yellow body, almost a lemon color. You will note the strong carbonation and abundance of bubbles. The head retains very well.

S - The smell of lemon is definitely there, but without being too sour. The aroma is simple in my estimation, which for this style of beer isn't so much of a problem.

T - You almost get a subtle taste of bubblegum in this beer. This is not to suggest that the beer tastes like a mixed drink but rather that the taste is quite pronounced for a witbier. I didn't get a lot of bitterness in this beer.

M - The beer has a thin consistency, but I think it really works. It is quite refreshing and goes down smoothly.

D - This is a very smooth beer, in fact one of the smoothest I've ever had. It is very easy to put down and you learn something new every time you drink it.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Delicate and nuanced in every aspect.
I get hints of orange juice and some coriander in the nose.
I feel like I can taste the orange juice on the finish and a bit of the spices. Light and smooth with a crisp finish.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

I love these people. This is one of my top breweries-- where they seem to get every style correct. They are WAY expensive though !! $4 + for a 12oz beer is a joke but I like this brand so much and it is fairly difficult to find --esp. around these parts, so I buy it. Had the Weizen last night and I think this one is much better. The taste on this with the beef jerky I am having is just perfect. You pick up every subtlety of the beer--from the nice yeasty wheat dryness to the spicy coriander, orange peel and pepper--everything-- really cuz there is a lot more going on here than those flavors I named.

A-not so hot. boring gold-honey murk-no head no lace. Does this mean its not gonna be good??
S-is freshly fermented apple orchard--but mild. there is some wheatiness present but overall just fabulous. You can pick up some of the spicy elements too.
T-I don't know if I have ever had a better one for this style than this. I don't know how fresh the bottle I am having is, but at the BBF (where it was definitely fresh) they had it from a 750ml bomber
and i remember it being equally good. I bet this beer on-tap would be close to the king of white ales. I am already giving it a 5 on taste and i hate to give these out w/o major consideration first. My taste descriptions are in the 1st paragraph but I will add that it has some sourness on the back but not enough to take away from the 5 score.

MF-nice fuzzy one typical of this style.
D-Way drinkable-probably desrves a 4.75 but I am moving my score from 4 to 4.5 anyway.

Edit--there is no edit--I earlier submitted the review w/o finishing it first.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

Hitachino Nest White Ale pours a darker straw color with a huge white head and chunks floating in it from a brown eleven point two ounce bottle. The aroma is downright amazing. Citrus seems to dominate, but there is also some spice, coriander perhaps, that is noticeable. Sparkly carbonation. Taste is also very interesting. I would have to say that up to now, I have not been the biggest fan of Witbiers. This one is quickly changing my mind. Citrus is not overbearing, but is definitely dominant. Coriander is present but not in too assertive of a fashion. Very well balanced. Excellent beer, highly recommended. Who would have expected an excellent witbier from a Japanese brewery? I think I need to try some of their other beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hitachino Nest White Ale: Konichiwa! Excellent white Belgian style ale, with a weird owl on the label to boot. Creamy white sticky head over a fluorescent orange/yellow beer. Very cloudy, with an aroma of citrus cut only with faint yeast aroma. Well bodied, with a very easy drinking creamy mouth feel. The taste initially hits with a flood of citrus flavors, with a noticeable sensation of hops. The aftertaste reminds me of fresh pine, with a hint of hops. Very very nice, expensive beer from Japan.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Pour cloudy golden with a half a fingers worth of head, light carbonation. very floral with the sent of a peach. Taste of a clementine with a lingering sweet peach then orange peel finish. This is a soft beer and easy to drink, on a hot summer day would go down fast. Overall I would like to see more head but this was a great beer with great flavours and smooth finish.

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass

A: Pours a murky straw color with a quarter inch of fluffy head. The head is puffy and doesn't leave much lacing.
S: Scents of lemony citrus, sugar, and a little coriander rise from my glass.
T: I taste a vanilla flavor, some sugar, and banana bread on the finish.
M: the mouth is very light, if there was no carbonation feel to it you might not even notice the beer in your mouth.
D: Extremely drinkable beer with a very refreshing flavor. This beer is flavorful but subtle.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pale gold, cloudy, big rocky head that dies very quickly. This is spot on with what I would expect a wit to look like.

S - Lemon, hay, a mix of citrus. The lemony coriander aroma really dominates.

T/M - Wow... A rush of lightly sweet citrus, followed by lemony pepper and a very crisp, spritzer like finish.

D - A truly exceptional wit. Spot on to style and incredibly drinkable. Due to the cost I may not be buying too many more of these, but I have to pick up a few to let some friends give this a taste.

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%

I'm always happy to try a Hitachino Nest ale I haven't had before. I'm pouring this into a frosted Hitachino Nest glass.

A: Looks light. Very little carbonation, considering I've had Hitachino Nests that bubbled over before it was even poured. Airy carbonation that sticks to the side of the glass, but little to no head on top.

S: Fresh, flowers, white wine aroma. Really a very nice smell.

T: Nostalgic flowery spices. Soothing, calming aftertaste. Difficult to place exactly, but it is excellent - flavors I've never had in a beer before.

M: Light, but with just the right amount of carbonation to really make the flavor work.

O: Once again, Hitachino Nest creates another masterpiece of an ale. I've never had anything quite like this - it's like they've been creating ale in a whole different universe without any input from ours. Just obscenely good stuff.

Source/serving: 11.2oz bottle

Smell: Crisp tropical fruits (apple/pineapple), light spiciness (coriander), and a healthy dose of fresh wheat integrated well together and has moderate depth. You can find different threads and dig deep into them which is awesome. Lightly herbal undertones which I sometimes detect when coriander is abundant. Quite vinous and has a richness (for this style) that is pleasant, while remaining crisp and light too. Some clove as it warms.

Taste: Apple and citrus fruitiness up front with a touch of sweetness and pleasant crispness. Lightly tangy reminiscent of a lemon drop. Dances lightly on the tongue and exudes an upbeat vibe in a disco club sort of way. Has significant white wine-like qualities. Pleasantly dry, light bitterness, nice citrusy hop flavor, and a wheat graininess that isn't subdued by all that's going on. Tickly carbonation. Incredible body for how crisp it remains. Coriander is fairly strong but smooth and mellow at the same time with good complexity and not overwhelming. Finish which has a nice dry crispness and light herbal /clove character.

Notes: Goes amazing with food.... Crisp, refreshing, tangy, and tons of palette scrubbing bubbles. And, incredibly drinkable. Goes down easy!

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from the very cool 24.3oz bottle a hazy orange/yellow with a thick white head.

Smell is very up front orange peel and spice. I couldn't get my nose out the glass, I just had to keep sniffing, there are so many cool layers of smell here. Taste is of orange peel, heavy spice and an earthy yeast. Mouthfeel is very creamy, malty and light, but at the same time, it coats your mouth in creaminess. The spicing is very appetizing. It finishes with a hop snap, and leaves you wanting another sip. Yeast is heavy in the beer, and at the end of the glass, there is a nice pile at the bottom.

This is one of my favourite styles, and this is a great example. I will definitely be buying more.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Dark, hazy gold. Small white head. It's small, yes, but good lord is it a stubborn little guy. It simply will not die.

Intense smell. Real intense. Fridge cold I can smell it as it sits on my desk, a good two and half feet away from my nose, all spicy and fruity. Upon closer inspection, literally, it smells remarkable, like no other wittbier I've ever come across. The big wheatmalt spices are still there, all whitepepper corriander, but the fruit backing them isn't the usual dull, grainy bananas and the such. There's apples--like, harsh, cider apples, ripe peaches, and bright green grapes. All are sour and sugary. Really, a wonderful smell.

The fine odor doesn't translate entirely over to the mouth, I'm sorry to say. The first taste is that of sweet white wine, which is backed up by a blend of apples and alcohol, and an end of whitepepper. Not as complex or as sapid as I had hoped.

An excellent white, and the first Japanese beer that I've ever really, really enjoyed.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Hitachino Nest White pours a hazy pale straw color with a sticky white head that leaves plenty of lace on the glass. The aroma is a pleasant mix of orange and ginger with some background floral notes. Taste starts with a good dose of orange and cherimoya fruitiness and quickly moves on to a crisp and light maltiness. Flavors of malt and wheat blend with citrus and spice as it moves around in your mouth. The finish is dry and mellow with spice flavors of coriander, ginger, fagara, clove, and cassia coming to the fore front supported by a soft malt in the background. Aftertaste is a smooth and spicy lingering of spice and lightly sweet malt flavors. Mouthfeel is a light body that starts crisp and fruity and finishes with a dry spiciness.
Overall a great white ale from Japan that can stand with the best Belgium has to offer. Very complex and unique. Sweet, sour, spicy, malty, smooth, acidic, fruity, and tasty. An enjoyable experience on the palette and the mind.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into my Hoegaarden glass.

A: A really nice color. A unfiltered golden that poured pretty flat without much carbonation. Stills looks pretty darn good though. Suspended yeast towards the bottom of the glass.

S: Wonderful aromas of orange peel & spice. Much more aromatic then most Wit's I've come across.

T: A slightly tangy taste. The spices (coriander, clove) definately come through. The citrus flavor is also quite detectable.

M: A refreshing mouthfeel! The wheat flavor is really nice & dies off a bit toward the end to finish with a thinner feel.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Pours an almost radiant golden with a touch of orange. The head never really massed to anything besides a slight white fizz. No apparent lacing.

S: The aroma is very complex. Orange/apricot tones hit me strong up front with a nutmeg lemon twist following it up. There is some other spice in there but I can quite put my finger on it.
T: The taste is just as complex but somehow nicely balanced. It follows the nose closely. Orange, nutmeg, pepper, and... coriander. That's the other spice.

M: The carbonation dances on the tongue and plays well with the acidity of the citrus.

D: I haven't had many white ales but this one seems to set the bar high up there. This was very enjoyable to drink and I encourage others to give it a try.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I suck at giving reviews so I will keep this brief, Kiuchi Brewery has been one of my favorite breweries since discovered them many years ago and I am blessed to have a place 5 minutes from where I live that carry quite a few varieties. The White Ale is my absolute favorite ale. Thank GOD no one else buys them from the store I frequent!! Serve cold in a pint glass and enjoy!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a very hazed orange yellow color with a thick fizzy white head and a really good amount of lacing. Smells of oranges, yeast, spice and wheat. Tastes of oranges, spice -- coriander and maybe black pepper, wheat and a little hops. Mouthfeel is medium with good body and substantial carbonation. Drinkability is high.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours very pale orange with a clean white head that fades away after a few minutes. Noticeable yeast particles stay suspended while drinking.

Smells of coriander and grapefruit/sour orange are dominant

Love the taste of this beer! It has the common tastes of a white ale but I don't know if it's because it's brewed in Japan but I get a taste of the pickled ginger. Just a slight bit of it at the end which gives me a refreshing sip every time.

I really enjoyed this beer. Thumbs up for a good Japanese brewery!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Been wanting to try this for a while, as a well hyped wit bier made in none other than *Japan* is quite intriguing. Poured into a wiezen glass from a 11.2oz bottle.

Appearance is a lightly tinged straw, golden color, and poured the way I did into the weizen glass (bottleneck down all the way), it produced an enormous jet of carbonation that kept itself under control for the most part. The brownish yeast slipped in quite well, producing a cloudy haze that materialized in the glass gracefully. I would've given this a perfect 5 here if it weren't for the fact that the head so quickly vanishing over time, leaving a tiny, clear ring at the top.

Smell is, in summary, unbelievably pleasant. First a slight maltiness overcomes the nose, then it quickly shifts to a warm yeastiness that resembles the fruitiness of cider. There are strong phenolic traces of the yeast that lingers behind, only to catch up with a combination of fresh wheat and tartiness that is readily present. At the end, there are tons of spiced herbs - coriander is obvious, but rosemary is surprisingly present - that make this a rather fascinating but ultimately pleasant aroma.

Wow, the flavor is probably the exact opposite experience in the beer. Rather than remain mild and pleasant, it's utterly explosive and takes on various different directions during the consumption process. The primary flavor is slightly bready, then spiced and hopped up to the point where it produces a tingling sensation on the tongue. Afterwards, the spiciness wears off and the yeast takes over to the point where it engulfs the taste buds, and I mean this in the best way possible. Apple tart, tangerines, cinnamon, and even vanilla seem to come and go in the aftertaste. The body is far thinner than expected, but the initial wheat/hop combo makes it almost a relative nuisance as opposed to a factor that degrades the beer's drinking experience. Easy to drink, but amazingly complex.

Truly fantastic. The bizarre part about this beer is despite it blowing me away in its category, it's not by any means a perfect beer. And you know what? Any sloppiness it may have only makes the drinking experience more fun! This is really worth checking out for the flavorful yeast alone... you can just taste the vitamins and nutrients they carry in the aftertaste, and the vivid tartiness is unlike any wit bier I've ever had. Despite the price tag (over $6), I'd say it's a beer that I'd revisit again. Welcoming in every way, it's guaranteed to improve your day with every sip, just as it did for me!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased 12 ounce bottle from the Liquor Cabinet in St. Joseph, Michigan. I heard this was one of the best Japanese beers and I wasn't disappointed.

Poured in a tall pilsner glass. Medium-hard pour resulted in a single finger head. Beer was a light golden color and was infused with tiny carbonation bubbles.

This beer has a wonderful citrousy smell. I found myself sniffing this beer over and over again, because it smelled so good.

I knew this was a highly rated Japanese beer when I bought it, but "Wow!" was all I could say when I tasted it. That awesome smell came through in the taste. Near perfect white beer!!!! I'm going to be buying this beer again and again. It will now be my ideal summer white beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer had a very unique flavor.
It poured a nice pale cloudy color, and had a great smell.
This beer had a nice citrusy taste and a spicy taste, however, was not really like hoegaarten or blue moon. This beer was nice and crisp. I really suggest it to anybody who likes white ales.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 330ml stubby bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A - Great artwork on the bottle and the cap. Poured a cloudy golden yellow; difficult to see the carbonation; pours a nice white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Very inviting citrus and coriander smell.

T - Spicy, citrus taste with a strong wheat front.

M - Very smooth, with somewhat high carbonation.

D - Very drinkable and tasty, goes well with most food; almost too drinkable for $4 a bottle.

A very good witbier and probably my favorite beer in general.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a bottle at Goebels in Wichita

Pours an effervescent straw color with a sliver of beige head. Hazes a bit as it warms, no head retention & lacing

S: White pepper & coriander & grassyness & barnyard

T: Grassy, slightlty funky, & lemons up front. Grassyness, lemon zest & funk dominate as this warms, plus much tartness. Puckery tartness in the finish, along with some dryness & funky grass

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation & puckery tartness

Through the roof drikability, easily the best Japanese beer & or Wit I've had, period

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer is a joy to drink, truly a great beer from Japan. The appearance is pale blond, it is not see thru at all. Great white head but no lacing to speak of. The smell i got from this beer when i first opened it was smoked Gouda, i kid you not. Then i get a hint of corriander and a bit of hops. I like the smell of this beer because the coriander is not at all over powering (which is what i find in most beers that use coriander as a flavoring. I usually am not a fan of coriander in the first place so the fact that i like the use of coriander in this beer is just a testament to how well balanced this one is.
This beer is very refreshing and i could honestly drink this one all night with out my taste buds getting killed. The taste is this delicious subtle tangerine thing with high acidic tones at first then mellowing out. A tasty beer to say the least, its a bit hard to describe the taste accurately because i cant find the right words to convey how it really taste.Just believe me when i say its a Great beer and if your a fan of whites then you will probably fiend this beer after you try it.
The drink-ability of this beer is scary. Although its not a boozy beer its still incredibly smooth.This beer lingers though. The taste will stay with you for a while, which is not a bad thing at all.
Over all i highly recommend this beer to any lover of beer regardless of preference of style

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery