Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,319 | Reviews: 517
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a light golden-amber color with a frothy white head into my fluted glass.

Aroma is full of citrus, coriander and spice. A nice hint of wheat malt peeks out as well.

Taste is full of citrus and spice upfront. It's kind of mild with also a good hint of wheat.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering citrus, spice and wheat. It feels a bit thin towards the end with a bit of acid as well.

Not bad. A good example of the style from the Japanese that is quite quenchable on a hot day.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a darker golden than you might expect for the style, and with a nice white head. I've always really liked this beer as a very bold interpretation of a wit. It's loaded with orange peel and has a quite bold, rounded flavor for the style. This is more serious than so many light quaffable summer versions. More boddy than most, but still refreshing with hints of lemon and lots of zingy orange with a bitter finish. Complex but nicely drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Not a big Wit guy, but it is summer in San Diego and I just got done playing some b ball and was thirsty. I always see it at places and not big on most japanese breweries. Thought I'd give it a chance. And I am glad I did.

Looks cloudy and straw colored with some nice foamy head.
The smell is a complex mind bender of guesses ( read other reviews)
The taste is just as equall to the smell. Very refreshing and complex at the same time.
Over all I am glad I tried it and I am actually going to buy a pack down the street right now.

I did not care for this beer the first time I tried it, but it would seem to have changed some over the years... this time it was very good. Maybe some lactobacillus got into this batch or something. I digress...

Pours a light straw color and has a nice frothy head on it. Tight bubbles. It is not as hazy as a normal Belgian style white.

This beer has a huge ginger bouquet, amongst other spices. I also pick up on some sour notes. I can smell cinnamon and nutmeg as well as the typical orange peel.

Ginger is on the forefront for me as far as taste goes. Very refreshing and actually tastes a little spicy. This could even be Thai ginger, the stuff has bite. But is well balanced and very pleasant to drink.

Drinkability is good, but might be better if the spice did not overwhelm the palate. Great unique white!

3.72/5  rDev -9%

Pours a light golden, slightly hazy from the yeast. Has a thin white head. Smell is VERY aromatic. Smells like coriander and fresh flowers. Quite nice. Taste is light and wheaty, very flowery, crisp finish. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, medium carbonation. Drinkability is not as good though, I suspect the flavors would get cloying after awhile. Still at 12oz at a time, its quite good.

3.51/5  rDev -14.2%

this beer pours a light straw color. Fizzy pure white head blankets the surface. Bubbles bloom throughout the session. I smell fine pilsner malts in the beginning but the aroma takes on what appears to be a strange BO type smell to me. I have heard others descibe a barnyard scent in beers maybe this is it. There is a certain floral grassy like smell that I have never encountered. It may be strange but it is bold and assertive which I like. The taste is not like your typical wit. It is very spicey kind of like a light tripel. There is some pepper, a strong taste of turmeric powder, cinnamon. And nutmeg flavors throughout and just enough hops to make it slightly bitter. There seems to be a lot of carbonation to this beer from the looks but it does not overtake your mouth. I would say it is a typical Mouthfeel for the style. I will not buy this again but it is very interesting. Not your typical wit.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured cloudy gold in color with a small head, and then topped off with the sediment swirling around. Smells like fruit, orange peel and yeast. It's crisp with high carbonation, but it flowed easy like water and went down fast. Nice zesty / spicy taste with a complex combo of citrus, lemon, yeast, orange peel, malt and wheat.

Refreshing with a sweet malty finish on the dry side. Good and easy to drink. It went well with sushi today and I would have this again.

2.73/5  rDev -33.3%

12oz Bottle poured in a snifter.

Light golden color with a small head that hangs around for a bit. Very odd nose to it, there's some sort of a spicy note to it or something that seems a bit off.

Taste is like a light wheat beer, nothing too special, no hop taste. Overall I'd say it's one of the best Japanese beers I've had, but that's not saying too much.

3.82/5  rDev -6.6%

a: hazy yellow color, small disappears quickly, thin lace ring
s: mix of sweet and tart aromas, strong orange peel, spices
t: consistent with witbiers (sweet/tart mix with orange peels) but with more spiciness coming through along with fresh lemonade aftertaste
m: medium body with mild carbonation throughout with a refreshing lemonade-like finish
d: very drinkable, nice variation from normal witbiers and refreshing

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

It's been a few years since I saw this brewer on the local shelves. Poured cloudy copper-yellow with an aggressively bubbly almost bleached-white head that faded in a few breaths. Citrus and honey on the nose, a bit of malt, and a tiny hint of some spice. Tastes like tart frozen yogurt on the tongue, almsot exactly... thing original tart hagaan daaz frozen yogurt. Then a bit of malt at the end. Heavily carbonated which I'm guessing compensates for the very thin consistency. This isn't a bad beer, it's not a great beer, but it's still a brewer I have a keen interest in trying as often as I can.

2.72/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance: Dirty yellow...not tremendously attractive.

Smell: Pronounced orange peel with a somewhat spicy undertone.

Taste: Hits the tongue with a sweetly carbonated orange tanginess, followed by an almost peppery afternote that turns the orange-nes to a near grapefruit-like taste. Smooth taste with a rather dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Dry and smooth.

Drinkability: Not entirely distasteful, this goes down smooth and light...I could see myself drinking this again under the right circumstances (coupled with the right cuisine) but I won't be rushing out to buy a case anytime soon.

Serving type:720ml bottle

I was so happy when my local grocery store started carrying this line!

Pours a cloudy light orange with a bit less than a finger of fluffed white head. Head retention is weak, but lacing is fairly sticky.

Smells of orange and spice, light malt.

Taste is smooth. Dried orange is most dominant, however not overpowering. Sharp spice in the back with a light wheat-malt finish.

Mouthfeel is very lightbodied and smooth. One of the smoothest Witbier's I've had.

Drinkability is good. If this continues to be available I'll be drinking it all the time.

4.14/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazed, yellowish body with a full finger of white foam.

Smell: Soft wheat aroma with a particularly pungent, juicy note of wet orange peelings and lesser hints of coriander spiciness.

Taste: Initial delicate taste of wheat, a tad tangy and sweet along with, as with the aroma, a very distinct kick of juicy, oily orange peels (like having a splash of triple sec added to a witbier). Zip of spices. Minimal hop character with only the lightest touch of bitterness present. Final touches of orange citrus, spice, and tanginess on the dry, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: A nicely refreshing and nicely orange-y wit! Pass the Spider Maki and Rainbow Maki, please.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 720ml bottle with "Imported by" sticker on back into a glass

A- Liight golden straw. Clear at first and opaque once the whole beer was poured. Aggressive carbonation and a thick 1.5/2" white head which held for a while before falling and leaving almost no lace. Trace foam remained the entire drink.

S- Lemon and orange rind. Zesty and full of spice. Coriander and perhaps cardamom. Ginger root is also hiding in the mix. Familiar Belgian yeast. Very complex and powerful aroma.

T- Spicy. White pepper, coriander and citrus zest. Full of citrus flavor. Lemon, bitter orange and grapefruit. Mild sweet wheat malt flavor. Finishes with a dry ginger bite with almost no noticeable hop flavor.

M- Alive! Tickles the mouth and awakens the senses. Aggressive carbonation.

D- Such a drinkable beer. Light, complex and refreshing. This beer is by far the best beer I have had out of Japan and one of the best beers I have had period! Does true justice to the Belgian Wit style. This beer is doing wonders to the Indian food I am currently eating. Wonderful beer!!

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

720ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Paler than most wits. Head fades quickly.

S: Oranges, ginger, perfumey spices.

T: Similar to the nose. Oranges, perfume-like notes, some breadiness.

M: Smooth. Pretty good carbonation.

D: It's better than bad, it's good.

3.14/5  rDev -23.2%

pours a cloudy yellow with a small white head that goes away quickly, lots of sediment, and no lacing.

smell of wheat, lemon, tangerine, and a touch of banana.

taste is light, semi-tart, lots of citrus, and wheat, ends a little dry.

overall just an average wit that tastes better than it looks.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a bomber bottle into my dimpled mug. After stirring up the yummies on the bottom of the bottle, appears a rather cloudy, muted yellow color with a solid two fingers of fluffy, dense white foam. Smells and tastes of coriander, spicy, peppery yeast, lightly toasted grains / wheat, orange peel and lemon oil, and a touch of ginger. Really nice! This wit is just about full bodied and there is no question that it is amply carbonated. A fantastic example of the witbier style.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a pale lemon yellow. Two fingers of rich white foam. Decent retention, not much lacing. Lots of little yeasties floating around.

Nose is entirely citrus and spice. I'm picking up some orange peel and ginger. Mostly ginger. There might be some lemon zest, but I may be reaching.

Luckily, for my tastes, the citrus is the dominant flavor, while the spice (which I'm still only picking up ginger) takes the background. Very light body with fine carbonation. Very tasty witbier.

4.09/5  rDev 0%

Wow, what a beer. Pours a cloudy, dull yellow color. Looks like thick lemonade. A soapy head forms then dies quickly. Vigorous swirls do not reproduce it. Pity, cuz this beer has it all afterward.

Nice aroma of coriander, mild lemon zest, orange, ginger and malt. complex yet simple and manageable. Flavor contains the same. Coriander on the tip of the tongue and a good malt smoothness on the back. The ginger provides the foundation for more citric flavors like lemon, kumquat, and orange. Very subtle hints of banana linger in the background.
Crisp and smooth, very refreshing and drinkable.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

My experience with Japanese beers has been Asahi and Sopporo, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I suppose those are just Japan's macros. Much better than I expected.

Poured a little cloudy, a ale yellow color with white head that disappeared fast.

The yeast was very powerful on the nose, wheat and a little funk... I think the beer might have been a little old, I don't know there's no date on it.

The wheat was a little thick, usually white ales tend to be very 'refreshing' to drink; this was not the case with Hitachino Nest. Sweet on the tongue and finished quite dry.

Best Japanese beer I've had yet. I'm more open to trying more from the land of the rising sun in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a cloudy, blurred yellow with a thin white head and very little lacing.

Lemon zest, spice, grassy, and slightly catty.

Wow, what a citrus pop in the flavor, lemon, perhaps orange with a coriander and pepper spice and just a hint of some funkiness.

Very thin, refreshing, medium carbonation, and a light body, very fluid-like.

Refreshing is the best word to summarize this, lots of flavor though and put together well as not to be astringent. Definitely one to re-visit on a hot day with some shellfish or other seafood.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

I had this brew at Samurai Restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Very cloudy, mostly opaque yellowish with a foamy three-finger head. Ginger/wheat scent to it.

This had a pleasant hoppyness to it with a good blend of citrus. Creamy, smooth, yet bold. Relatively dry and very refreshing. There's a real burst of flavor right off the bat. Exceptional brew.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

12 ounce bottle

Light golden hue, translucent with a head that disapears fast. From appearance alone it appears light, limited lacing.

The corriander nose is easily present, as well as evergreen. It comes off as dirty/earthier than other whites that I've sampled. The citrus is light in that nose.

Pepper and nutmeg are on the first taste, citrus like sour finish. The hops are more present in this flavor than many whites, that could explain the dirtier, more earthy nose.

The carbonation was light in my opinion. The mouthfeel was light, which is perfect for a white.

I enjoyed this beer. Couple this with their Espresso Stout and their Sake Beer, they offer some solid beer. Easily drinkable, it would be great for a hot day.

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

From notes 12-21-08

Done horizontally with St. Bernardus Wit

Eye: While pouring it is obvious to see why this style of beer is called wit, the beer as a stream into the glass is much more white than yellow. As a collective in the glass the color is a very hazy whitish straw gold. The head is very large with excellent retention and great head formation. In texture I'd say that the head is part cloudy/pillowy part rocky. Lacing is thin rings with gaps between each subsequent ring. 4

Nose: When poured into the glass the aroma of orange and other like citrus aromas fill the room. To the nose much more the same, strong orange aroma and some definite notes of coriander in here. Some minty aromas come into play as well, herbal and fairly green, wintergreen aromas too. Very classic wit aroma, smells great. The only beef I've with it is a small tin-like/metallic aroma I'm picking up.

edit: another beef...the more I keep smelling this the more that I get trough urinals filled with urinal cakes, specifically the pink ones. Each time I take a smell of this beer the aroma changes on me and something else comes to mind. Sometimes it smells good to me, at others well urinal cakes...weird.

Tongue: The spice coriander is very forward in this brew, so much so that I could tell someone who didn't know what coriander was like in beer, and tell them that this is it. Lemon notes are here as well as some orange tones, curacao specifically. I find an off taste as well, something more metallic, or tinny. Hops are citrusy with hints at evergreen and piney flavors, mint as well. Overall a nice wit, but nothing to really brag about. Good, but I've had better.

Feel and Drinkability: Light in body with higher levels of carbonation as is appropriate. Finish is just right, I can see this being very refreshing on a hot day. Curacao tones in the finish with a twist of mint. This one is easy to drink, though I doubt I'll be buying it again anytime soon or at all for that matter, especially considering the price at about $8 a bomber. It was nice to try but I'd rather go for Wittekerke, or even better Southampton Double Wit...better beers, more volume less money.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked up a 21 ounce bottle at Trader Joe's in Cambridge, MA.

A: Slightly cloudy golden color with a seafoam head that reduces to 1/4 inch quickly. No lacing.

S: Nicely spiced with a hint of citrus.

T: Dry with pepper and citrus. Tastes refreshing.

M: Lots of carbonation - almost has a hard cider feel too it.

D: Very easy to drink but I could see the spices, especially the pepper, stopping you from drinking a lot of this.

Overall a suprisingly good brew. I'd love to see this offered at my favorite Japanese restaurants instead of the usual Kirin or Sapporo.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery