Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest White AleHitachino Nest White Ale

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest White Ale Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev 0%

A - Cloudy, milky yellow with a small head and no lacing.

S - Orange rind, coriander, touch of gumball, touch of lemon rind and faint herbal hops.

T - A touch of faint wheaty malt. Orange peel, coriander and dry grassy hops that stay on to the finish. Overall a mild and very pleasant flavor.

M - A tad harsh from carbonation, thin, very refreshing.

D - Very good. This is definitely the best beer from Japan that I have ever had. Actually worth seeking out, but not woth a flight to Japan. Sessionable, pleasant for the whole family.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a slight hazy lemon yellow body with a very strong carbonation of micro bubbles. There was a perfectly smooth creamy snow-white head that lasted a good long time.

S- The soft smooth smell of lemon frosting was not as sweet as frosting but had a hint of powdered sugar to it. There was a subtle yet complex aroma with hints of cherry blossoms in the background with a light yeasty note. The smell made me want to keep sniffing as deep as I could but it was a bit mysterious.

T- The taste of smooth mellow wheat has a light tartness to it with a soft bubblegum hint to it. The tartness was a supporting flavor and not over the top. There was a nice hint of bitterness in the finish that balanced the wheat malt notes.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a light fizz in the finish and a very light hint of chewiness to the texture.

D-This beer has a lot of nice depth but it is very soft. That makes this beer a nice session beer, which lets you understand a little more about it with every new glass. Very nice wit without the over powering bubblegum and clove characteristics.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

This is a beer that I could drink with anything and at anytime. Nice crisp taste with little to no after taste. This is a little hard to find in my area but it's not difficult if you know where to look as with most beers. I would recommend trying this beer sooner than later.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

The Hitachino Nest White Ale is mostly true to the wit bier style, but the appearance and smell definitely come up short. For most beer drinkers it won’t really matter, since what it lacks in complexity it makes up for in drinkability.

The Hitachino Wit poured with almost no head, and what was there quickly disappeared leaving a pale gold hazy beer with lots of sediment floating around.

The smell was sweet with herbal and wheat aromatics, but didn't really have the spiciness that I have come to expect from the style.

The taste is where this beer excels. It's mildly sweet with a pleasant orange citrus fruitiness. The body is medium light with a gentle effervescence. It is refreshing and crisp with a semi dry finish that makes this beer very drinkable.

Overall, an enjoyable easy drinking, refreshing beer.

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A cloudy, hazy yellow and a small white head that left a ring.

Smell: Not a very strong smell for a Wit, somewhat citrus and lemon.

Taste: It was very smooth and almost creamy with flavor of citrus and lemon and finishing with some spice flavors. Very good and the best Wit I have enjoyed.

Mouthfeel: Very light and nothing lingering.

Drinkability: A good brew, but just personally I would rather enjoy one good Wit every few months then make it a regular thing.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Cloudy straw color.
S: Smell is good, lemon and hops come through nicely.
T: Taste is a tad sweet but the after taste is somewhat bitter.
M: Beer feels very light and smooth.
D: I would have given the drinkability a higher score but at $4 a beer it is hardly "drinkable"

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Foggy, straw collor with a small fizzy-ish white head.

Smells like what you expect in a witbier, sweet malts, coriander, orange peel and lemon. Add it all up and it is every inviting.

Sweetly tangy, lemon, wheat malts and coriander, juicy and clean and very refreshing.

Lively carbonation makes it featherlight in the mouth.

Great beer. One you could drink all day long but I only bought one bottle of the stuff. I will be buying more. One of the best beers I have had in a while now.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Tried this Japanese white ale and was almost tricked into thinking it was a good Belgian. Tasted like a mild Celis white or Blue Moon. Had a strange wet bitterness but was pretty good. Color is murky like a yeast laden brew sort of a dark, cloudy yellow. No real head or lacing to speak of. Smell is light and airy of citrus, spice, and a little sweet. Has a nice taste of sweetness with some sour, wheat, and citrus notes. I liked this one on the whole, but it is a bit pricey.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz. bottle costing $3.59. Poured into a pint glass which produces a hazy yellowish orange color with a small fizzy head that quickly dissapears into a thin white ring around the glass. The aroma is without a doubt one of the strongest assets to this beer. The aroma explodes with a lot of clove, ginger and orange. The taste is domintated with a lot of the same clove and orange flavors that are present in the nose. Overall, this is a fine wit that I am having a hard time convincing my brain that it is made in Japan and not Belgium. Good, not great but recommended despite the price.

1.95/5  rDev -52.4%

12 ounce bottle, purchased mid November at BevMo in Sacramento (Arden Way). I forget the price: maybe high $2 range? No bottle dating (see below why this is important.)

Big chunks of floating sediment in the bottom despite having sat for days at cellar temp. The bottle fill looks a little low: in a stubby bottle, it was just up into the neck.

Pours a fairly vigorous white foamy head, which dies out quickly into bright, deep yellow with almost zero head. Serious appearance problems here.

Aroma is sharp, pungent Brettanomyces: enough to make the back of my mouth pucker and salivate. Rut-roh.

Taste: yep: classic brett. Not hugely pronounced like La Folie or Orval, but obviously present, and overwhelms the rest of the flavor characteristics. Nothing of a witbier here.

Well, folks, I'm torn: I've feel like I got a spoiled bottle here, since I can't taste anything of a wit bier, and the brett sticks around forever. (Note that I *like* brett beers: I'm a big fan of Orval, La Folie, Duchesse De Bourgogne, etc.) I generally don't read other reviews before I review a beer, but this time, to try to give this beer a fair shake, I did, searching for references to 'brett' and 'sour' and 'flanders'. After doing this, I'm actually not sure I did get an (unintentionally) spoiled with Brettanomyces beer: a number of reviewers hinted at an excessively sour aroma and taste. To try to be as fair as possible, I gave it a 2.5 in taste and 2.0 in drinkability, since it's not classically awful beer (in that I like brett beers), it's just an awful wit/white.

So I don't know: on the one hand, I'm just barely tempted to buy this beer again in the future from another store (and so hopefully another batch) to re-review it. On the other hand, I'm really, really happy I only bought a single bottle. Pretty icky stuff for what it's supposed to be, and not nearly enough body to back up an intentional brett or Flanders style ale.

This beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy straw yellow with a moderate amount of sediment. The head was a white and two fingers high.

Smell: The beer is loaded with citrus zest, corriander, lemon and malty sweetness.

Taste: This beer is a combination of lemon and orange zest, peppery corriander with a brief flash of sweetness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is light bodied with gentle carbonation. The beer is easy to drink. This beer is a nice sessionable beer.

11.2oz bottle and very fresh.
Interesting Beer. At first it started to go down like a Flat mello-yellow
a little lemon-limon but as I started to drink the beer it became
much more complex. Every sip revealed a different spice
First ginger, then some pepper and it's all mixed in with an underlying
fruity zest. I can drink a few of these in a sitting, but don't expect a buzz

It a nice little break from the normal if that's what u are looking for
and I enjoyed it.

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pale gold, cloudy, big rocky head that dies very quickly. This is spot on with what I would expect a wit to look like.

S - Lemon, hay, a mix of citrus. The lemony coriander aroma really dominates.

T/M - Wow... A rush of lightly sweet citrus, followed by lemony pepper and a very crisp, spritzer like finish.

D - A truly exceptional wit. Spot on to style and incredibly drinkable. Due to the cost I may not be buying too many more of these, but I have to pick up a few to let some friends give this a taste.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

$3.49
11.2 oz bottle
Holiday Market
Canton, MI

Ah- Danyo Sun...you wax poetic about Jowry Pumkin...but you know moo shoo poke? Wrong gastronomical culture there G. I. Joe. Hell, this wit soda reminds me of Calabaza Blanca minus the sweetness but with all the overt white foam at the top, orange-citrus, mild spice and zing. I prefer that there not be pellet sized yeast particles floating about but I think I can trust my semi-inebriated coordination to hold them off from getting past the toofuses. Still there is a strange curiosity to eat them, but knowing the bathroom casualty I'll likely face makes that unlikely. I suggest that you bow down to Moloch now before the enlightened ones take your profane head off and puts it up on a stick.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Bought a bottle at the local wine cellar.
I heard it was good so even at $3.15 a bottle. I decided to try it.

Pours nice golden orange color with a crisp white head.
Small amount of sediment.

Very pungent but good smell right away.
Immediate spicy taste, then a bit of citrus flavor, with a peppery carbonated aftertaste. Some ginger taste.
Very good beer.
Near the end of the glass I think I stirred up some sediment, because something hit the tip of my tongue and I got an intense sensation of spices.
As I got to the bottom I noticed a good amount of sediment.

Overall, a really good beer. But the price is high where I live so I probably wont be drinking it often.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had this beer a couple times previously, both on-tap. Once was at Portland International Beerfest 2005 and more recently at Concordia Ale House, where the keg disappeared far too quickly. First time from a bottle...poured to a couple tall pilsner glasses & shared with my wife (who loves this stuff, I should add)...

A: Cloudy/milky golden with a gargantuan rocky white head. The majority of the head fizzles away pretty quickly but there's very nice lacing as a trade off...

S: Herbal & grassy with ripe citrus fruit. Delicious sourdough wheat (rather heavy on the "sour", but not in a bad way). Wild yeast with plentiful spices.

T/M: The immediate reaction we both had was "ripe peaches!". Upon further review, apricots are the better descriptor. Crisp, slightly sour/tart flavors of cherries and apples. Wheat/bread is tucked under a zesty, spritzy mouthfeel. That effervescence mellows a bit and turns to a mostly clean dryness, just slightly burdened with a hint of starch in the finish.

D: A wonderful, unique take on the witbier style. Highly enjoyable and very highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

on tap at Maduro during happy hour

appearance: served in a very odd hitachino glass (maybe 10oz?). It kind of looks like a kids drinking cup, but whatever. body is clean and cloudy golden colour, frothy white head

smell: very nice...exotic spice, apple, pear, pineapple and other tropical aromas, white pepper, orange/lemon. Very quality

taste: easily one of the best wit's i have had, and certainly one of the more original. zesty, yeasty, lots of tropical fruit and strong spicing, white pepper, pear, green apple, white grape. Very interesting, spritzy, active, tasty

mouthfeel: active carbonation, nice body

drinkability: high

3.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours out a pale, yellow. Very cloudy and highly carbonated with a two-finger head.

S - It smelled of corn, citrus and yeast.

T - It tasted very sweet and fruity. The corn and yeast flavors were much more subtle.

M - It was very crisp and light-bodied.

D - A very nice witbier. I really liked the sweet, fruity flavors.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Highly hazed and golden-toned, a thin layer of bone white foam above, eventually narrowing down.

Lovely aromatics, a twist of lemon, hint of orange, and beautiful spices. I'd always assumed coriander, but recent research revealed to me they also use nutmeg in here. It works well.

Taste: light bodied, but sublime drinkability. Just enough flavor to keep the tongue happy. Zesty and refreshing. Minor hops, slight bitterness, a touch of sour, and a dash of sweet.
Moderate carbonation, not too spritzy, just mellow enough.

Never dreamed I'd have a Japanese Belgian wit on tap, but, hey, crazier stuff has happened.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

720 ml bottle

Straw yellow... appears to be generously carbonated. Nice head. In fact, the head is the only thing that makes this beer appear any different than your typical macro. The color is too dark in my opinion to be a wit.

Very interesting aroma.... strong scent of coriander, creating a very perfumey presence. Now this is what I expect from japanese beer... delicate and complex... in contrast to the Sapporos and Kirins I have had.

Once again... tremendous amount of coriander, this time mixed with a hearty citric flavour...peaches and orange. Delicious, if perhaps a bit heavy handed.

Crisp, yet not so carbonated as to ruin the flavour... actually has a pretty decent body to it. Not too shabby at all.

Would be more drinkable if not for the overwhelming spice.... still a pretty damn tasty beer... were the price a little lower, I'd make this a frequent purchase. As is, however, I will stick with Southampton's Double Wit when given the choice.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Wit is what started me on this hobby, so having one on draft is always a treat. This Japanese version is very interesting. Adheres to style for the most part--banana, clove, and coriander taste is there but with other spices as well--I couldn't indentify, but the description said nutmeg. Aroma is strong in the nose, moslty yeast, to go with a sour taste. If you like Belgians and specificy lambics, wits, Flanders red, and other sour beers, you'll like this one. I wouldn't try a new person on it, or even go from Blue Moon to this strong interpretation that is light on sweet/fruit and heavy on yeast/tartness. The head disappeared quickly after a sip or two of the light golden ale that was hazy enough to be opaque. Overall, a very enjoyable beer that I wouldn't hesitate to have another but maybe not two.

2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

A Witbier from Japan? Hmmmm...let's see.
Pours a cloudy pale lemony-orange color with a white head that disappears almost immediately. Lots of little floaties in this pour.
Aroma is mild orange or corriander.
Taste lightly corriander and orange with some very dry biscuit malt in there and only a hint of spiciness on the tail end.
Mouthfeel is WAY too much carbonation...even for this style. My mouth almost feels like it is foaming rather than merely a nice sharp carbonated tingle.
Aftertaste is very drying with a touch of lemon pepper.

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

This is an interesting beer... I guess. It at least looks as good as Hoegaarden! It smells very herby, like ginger and pepper. Are any of you aware that coriander is British for cilantro? Neither this nor any other beer smells like cilantro, the herb that I make Laab gai with so I don't know what you guys are talking about. Ginger and pine it does. Well that's the best part of this beer anyway as it tastes just ok. Medicinal and lemony with a watery mouthfeel. A greater hop presence is needed as well as some other things. The weird flavor combined with the thin mouthfeel and excessive carbonation make for a mediocre beer. This is not as good as the rest rice ale offered by the same brewer, that was dynamite.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Hazy orange, with a nice white head. Smell is massive ginger and coriander, with some estery yeast in the background. I was nearly knocked over by the spice in this beer on the first sip. I almost wonder if the used ginger. Huge fresh ginger flavor balanced out by the malts. Additionally the hitachino beers i've had so far all seem to have an acidic component to them which i very much like. Mouthfeel is very light and airy. The tremendous spice hurts the drinkability a bit, but this is very interesting and a good tradeoff.

bought a 12 oz bottle at gourmet galley on drummond island michigan.
drank it out of the bottle, while i was camping, bottle has a cool design on the label.
the aroma is wheat and citrus.
the flavor is wheaty, yeastie, citrus, hint of spice, lemon.
great beer to sit on the beach in the sun and drink. very good wit.

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery