Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest White Ale Alström Bros
4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

1.45/5  rDev -64.5%

Okay, I know I'm in the minority here, but I found this beer to be highly disgusting. This was literally one of the worse beers I have ever had. I really wanted to like this beer, but honestly it was just not that good. This is one of the few times I disagree with the Bros. I had this beer at the Westin Inn in Napa, CA at a nice restaurant, so I figured lets give this a try! The beer started off very promising with a white color, almost the color of toothpaste. It had a very light aroma, but when I sipped it thats when it all went downhill. The beer tasted like dirty dishwater, so bad I asked the waiter to bring me another. I did not pour this one in hopes that maybe the soapy taste was a dirty glass, it was not. I drank the next one straight from the bottle. It was terrible. I don't know what spice they use in this but the spices simply do not work. This is probably the worst beer I have ever had, which sucks because I paid $10 for it and I really wanted to like it. I normally don't slam a beer like this, but this is putrid.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Peach, light yellow with a slight pink tinge. Unfiltered, not quite opaque, no head, cloudy, some apparent carbonation.

S: Cinamon toast, allspice, cloves, poplar tree sap, pepper.

T: Light, watery, with spices in the background like allspice, cloves, poplar tree sap and pepper.

M: Light and watery, medium carbonation. Like soda water.

O: Refreshing, light and spritzy like a soda, spices are present. Would go well on a hot day or with salads, light foods and cold cuts.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.84/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Almost yellow with a creamy white head which disipates at moderate speed. Leaves a little bit of lacing, but this works it's way down the glass back into the beer.

S - Lots of Coriander and Nutmeg to begin with, with a little bit of Citrussy orange and slight wheat following.

T - Sweet orange, followed by the Nutmeg and Coriander, with some bready wheat in the middle. Finishes with bitter Orange.

M - This has a lot more body than a classic Wit and is almost creamy. Feels big in the mouth and finishes medium dry.

4.34/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.41/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.27/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

11.2 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass at approximately 45 degrees F.

A: Pours a cloudy deep golden straw, and forms roughly two fingers of white head that dies swiftly to a ring. Carbonation flows continuously from the bottom of the glass.

S: Funk swirls out of the aroma first, almost leading me to wonder if this is actually a saison rather than a wit. Citrus and spices follow, wreathed in the mustiness, and a very faint touch of wheat brings up the rear.

T: Wow, that's citrus - this beer is extremely heavy on the orange notes. The musty funk from the scent carries through to the taste as well, as if one is drinking orange juice that is just past it's "drink by" date and is starting to turn sour. Some spice swims far off in the distance of the flavor profile, though I'd be hard-pressed to pull individual spice notes out from the blanket of sour orange juice. At the finish, there's a distinct carbonation sharpness and bite.

M: Light and highly carbonated, this is a sharp, dry beer.

O: Were this beer classified as some form of saison, I'd be all about the sourness that's present. It seems a bit out of place for a witbier, though. I can appreciate why this is rated as highly as it is, given the tendency towards appreciation for sours/wilds and intense flavors. I find this to be a very simple, club-you-over-the-head-with-a-single-flavor beer, which is not what I'm looking for in any Belgian style. Not my favorite wit.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.91/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%

Hitachino’s best, I’m told, is their White Ale - a Japanese craft take on a Belgian Witbier, replete with added: Flaked Wheat, Flaked Barley, Coriander, Nutmeg, Orange peel, and oddest of all; Orange Juice... I wonder what Belgian Wit brewers would think of that? Regardless I am always happy to crack open a Hitachino Nest brew - I am yet to try one that I haven’t enjoyed on multiple levels, kampai!

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: One of, if not the, whitest Wits ever - a cloudy pale straw body with a thin wispy sharply white (I’m talking titanium dioxide white) head on top. I’ve seen Belgian Wits that struggle to look this good. 9/10.

S: Spice forward with coriander and nutmeg, the aroma is quite acrid with spice actually, following this is a distinctive (probably because they put it in there) orange juice note, some woody dry notes and bready yeast. Overall not the greatest Wit fragrance, but I suspect - as with their Lacto Stout - that the flavour will be top-notch. 6/10.

T: My suspicions have been allayed... no wait - the opposite to allayed: Established! This is an excellent Wit. It starts out with some sweet orange notes, progresses on to those coriander and nutmeg notes (a bit more muted from the aroma), and finishes with an even-keeled sour/bitter/dry orange finish. There is a bold bread yeast middle, making it a little chunkier than a classic Belgian Wit. Damn this is tasty! 9/10.

M: Mid to light bodied, a touch watery (not bad enough to detract points) carbonation is a little excitable - as it can often be with Witbiers. 7/10.

D: Another exceptional Hitachino Nest brew then, aside from being on the higher side pricewise this is a Wit I would highly recommend, despite the odd ingredient list that includes OJ. If however you do like your Witbiers airy and light in flavour you should probably stick with Blue Moon or Hoegaarden - the fool’s Wits*. Oh yeah, I love the weird psychedelic label art on the bottle. 8/10.

Food match: I reckon some tempura vegetables/seafood would ace it with this Wit.

*Double entendre, set and match.

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Inoffensive, but slightly bland and dry.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%