Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest White AleHitachino Nest White Ale

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest White Ale Alström Bros
WeezyBoPeep

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Not digging the small sized bottle.

A: Milky, creamy tan with a yellow hue. Head all but disappeared after a few sips, but the carbonation was great throughout.

S: Extremely fragrant beer. I get lilies, rice, flowers, spices, black licorice, tea leaves and sweet soap.

T: Complex, creamy body with a spicy, citrus tanginess that refreshes. Traces of spices and cinnamon on the lingering finish. No unpleasant flavors at all going on here.

D: I could probably drink these all night. The 5% ABV is very, very, very very well hidden.

Value: Pricey, but you get what you pay for. I'm hard-pressed to think of a witbier I've enjoyed this much.

05-06-2010 00:32:03 | More by WeezyBoPeep
snpub540

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a hazy light yellow hue with an all white head. Moderate lacing left on the glass.

I was smacked in the nose with a very intense floral and tart aroma.

Flavor was very interesting and not what I was expecting out of a white. It was a nice mix of sweet and tangy. Lemon, banana, and yogurt like flavors made up most of my experience.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and the drinkability was good.

05-05-2010 00:27:45 | More by snpub540
chaz01

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

Pint glass at South Park Tavern.

A: Cloudy pale yellow-gold color, with a thin head. Very cloudy.

S: A little bit of a musky smell.

T: lemony bitter taste with wheat, hay and grass notes.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated with a lemony bitter finish.

D: Light summer beer, that goes down relatively easy. The tart lemony flavor is a bit strong and might prevent me from having more than one of these.

05-03-2010 02:11:32 | More by chaz01
Westsidebuddha

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at 38 Degrees Alhambra, Calif.

Poured a cloudy yellow color into tulip glass. Smell of citrus is definite. Taste of grapefruit and orange on first sip. Mouthfeel is light with a Belgian beer flavor. Drinkability is very good. Good backend and a refreshing taste. A very good Witbier that I could drink a few more of. Definitely very good since I got the first pour from the fresh tap.

05-02-2010 15:47:30 | More by Westsidebuddha
SiepJones

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass

A: Pours a murky straw color with a quarter inch of fluffy head. The head is puffy and doesn't leave much lacing.
S: Scents of lemony citrus, sugar, and a little coriander rise from my glass.
T: I taste a vanilla flavor, some sugar, and banana bread on the finish.
M: the mouth is very light, if there was no carbonation feel to it you might not even notice the beer in your mouth.
D: Extremely drinkable beer with a very refreshing flavor. This beer is flavorful but subtle.

05-01-2010 02:39:09 | More by SiepJones
Aenema

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

4/8
Appearance - Pours a cloudy, pale yellow with a thin, bone-white head.
Smell - Citrus, slight wheat/grain note; not very aromatic.
Taste - Lots of lemon and tartness followed by some sweet malts. Refreshing but still surprisingly, even distractingly, tart.
Mouthfeel - Light, refreshing.
Drinkability - Very easy drinking with an interesting profile.
Overall - I have a hard time figuring out how much I like this one. Although I enjoy sourness, I prefer sweet, bready wits with some spice. So although I think the tart lemon aspect of the beer is enjoyable, I find it difficult to say it would be a better alternative than a traditional wit.
The previous time I had this beer with some Japanese food I remember enjoying it more.

04-15-2010 03:05:46 | More by Aenema
cwc

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

This is the winner from Hitachino! I am slowly being converted to Belgian and Belgian style beers, and this beer is one of those that's spearheading that conversion.

A: Well, I picked this up at the MUJI in Yurakucho and brought it over to Hibiya park in central Tokyo. It was dark out, so I can't report on the appearance, but well, I love the label.

S: Fantastic smell of both freshness and spices.

T: A winner: refreshing and complex.

D: Very much so - I enjoyed two myself. Can't wait to drink this more frequently when the weather warms up!

04-10-2010 03:24:34 | More by cwc
BrewsCrewSA

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Left overs from our Weisses/Wits tasting.

A - Poured into an Abbey de Leffe chalice; pours a very light, almost brassy yellow color; head dissipated quickly, leaving only about a millimeter's worth of thin lacing on the top. Almost no head to speak of remaining, highly carbonated.

S - Smells of faint fruit, not much to it at all in this category. Come to think of it, it's a little off-putting, whatever smell it does have.

T - Here's where it gets interesting. I think what this beer does on the palate is extremely unique by witbier standards. The liquid strikes the tongue extremely tangy and bitter - you can't help ignore the citrusy tang that fills and dances on the tastebuds. It commands a green leafy presence before eventually mellowing out to a bready characteristic. The tang reminds me of biting into a ripe granny smith apple - almost has the same pucker as an under-ripe mango (green skin, yellow meat). I'd have to classify this as the most unique witbier I've tried yet - not in terms of substantive quality but rather, of individuality.

M - Puckery at first, mellows on the way down, dissolves into a solid bready aftertaste. Good for fans of sour jacks!

D - Extremely smooth, crisp, refreshing. Leaves a little thirst in the mouth and sitting at 750mLs, probably just one would do nicely among partners.

A very interesting take on the style!

04-10-2010 00:36:02 | More by BrewsCrewSA
callmescraps

2.8/5  rDev -31.9%

Grabbed this for the lady friend. She didn't end up drinking it. I did.

Appearance- Not starting well. A pale light gold. More yellow. Looks more like an adjunct lager, with a couple floaties as well. Full inch of big soapy head disappears in a moment. Looks like a Bud with floaters. Ugh.

Smell- Lots of wheat. Lemon peel and citrus as well. A nice yeast. Wet hay. There is a touch of lemon Pledge.

Taste- Starts with lemon and citrus. It then gets quite sweet and grainy. There is a cotton-candy like sweetness. Lots of grain and artificial lemon. A hint of pepper and spice on the end. Definitely some nutmeg.

Mouthfeel- A nice light carbonation.

Drinkability- Too sweet and artificial. Like a Lemonhead beer. Followed by plenty of spice. No thanks.

Ugh. Very disappointing. I hated their Red Rice, and don't think highly of this one. I probably spared the lady friend from a lousy experience. Didn't seem to be a bad bottle, just not my style. No thanks, I'll just grab a Blue Moon next time. (Ouch). I do, however, love their bottles.

04-08-2010 22:52:16 | More by callmescraps
BeerNemesis

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Hitachino Nest White Ale. 1PINT 8.3 FL.OZ.

Appearance:
Poured into an Ommegang Rare Vos glass -- It's a cloudy straw-yellow that eventually settles into a clearer beverage rife with carbonation. The 1.5" head quickly recedes into a thin snow-white film of micro bubbles on the top.

Aroma:
Spritzy on the intake, there's ginger, ginger and more ginger. Cloves pop up in droves as well. There may be a slight malty background, but ginger and cloves dominate the nose.

Taste:
Grainy malt may be first to the party, but the dazzling duo of citrusy hops and coriander/ginger/clove spices dash in with style and panache and wow the crowd that is my mouth. The hops are so vibrant and juicy, with a hint of orange, fresh, succulent oranges at that, that it's hard to keep my mind off of them. But in come the spices backed by a subtler puff of ground pepper that give nuance and charismatic vigor to the already titillating taste. I cannot stress enough how much flavor I'm experiencing all of a sudden. This is amazing, and disorienting for my palate at the same time. Sourness dominates here, and the finish is dry, bitter, and tinged with lemon peel.

Mouthfeel:
Oh so creamy! It may be light bodied and refreshing, but it rushes in in a disarmingly smooth and even fashion.

Drinkability:
Well this one's a bit interesting. The flavor is so overpowering, it's bound to polarize. If you don't like it, there's little room for refuge. If you do, you can drink this 'till the cows come home (or whatever the trite expression is you like).

Notes:
Wow, I will say it again: The flavor is vibrant, juicy, and unique. Like boozy sunshine in a bottle.

04-03-2010 22:14:38 | More by BeerNemesis
brendan13

Australia

A - Pours a cloudy straw with a couple of centimetres of white head that falls away fairly fast.
S - Spicy clove and ginger with some citrus touch.
T - Fairly much the same as the smell but with some wheat maltiness coming through as well.
M - Light bodied, high carbonation with a slight tartness.
D - A very nice, sessionable witbier. Would drink again without hesitation.

04-01-2010 10:38:38 | More by brendan13
unHipHopHead

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

A: pours a light straw color with a nice fluffy bright white head. The yeast strands get caught at the bottom and continue to pump carbonation into this baby keeping the head at a steady half inch. Also, the label and logo are adorable.

S: Coriander and bitter orange peel.

T: Wow, the taste is much more creamy and well rounded than i anticipated from the smell. Lots of puckering lemon and orange citrus flavor followed by some spiciness, mostly ginger.

M: Tons of carbonation and sour citrus but also a little creamy and super refreshing. Perhaps just a touch too much carbonation IMO.

D: Could certainly knock back a few of these on a nice warm sunny day, especially along with some spicy food.

03-30-2010 18:52:07 | More by unHipHopHead
pwoody11

Delaware

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

from notes...

Nice head, rather thick but dissapates quickly leaving a slippery lace.

The aroma consists of coriander, cinnamon, ginger, orange peel and some green apple.

The taste is a little sour. I'm getting lemon and lime with some orange towards the end.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and found it to be very quaff-able. I think it would be great for a nice summer day on the patio or while working the grill. I'll definitely seek this one out again.

03-29-2010 22:03:28 | More by pwoody11
sje2

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 1 Pint 9 oz bottle into a single pint glass.
The instant smell of lemon and coriander overwhelm you instantly. A solid 1 finger head fills my pint glass. A japanese wheat beer is quite the conundrum, but very surprising. It has a light yellow hazy appearance. The lemon draw is sharp as you swallow, but very pleasant. An extremely tasty brew.

03-26-2010 01:50:45 | More by sje2
ADZA

Australia

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

This brew pours a pale straw hue with decent carbonation that leaves a two finger bubbly head and nice lacing all around the glass,wow what an aroma its full on citrus,orange peel,lemon zest and the feintest bit of corriander which i rather like and to be honest this has to be one of the nicest,strongest smelling witbiers ive smelt really inviting,it has a nice easy mouthfeel which slides down with tastes of citrus,orange peel,lemon & lime bitters and lemon barley,i dont usually give too many 5's for any beer but i only bought one of these brews and as soon as i finished it i wanted another one so bad its not funny,overall a really tasty brew that will buy more of.

03-19-2010 12:24:15 | More by ADZA
whtguitarguy

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle, this one was a real treat. (Almost better than a European). A thick yellow translucent color with a one finger head that coats rather well. Smells of citrus and orange peel fill the nose followed with a touch of coriander. Sweet taste in the beginning going down to a slight spiciness. Excellent

03-17-2010 17:00:19 | More by whtguitarguy
HeroicDoses

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich yellow haze with a spectacular head. Smell is a deep mix of subtle lemon and wheat. Consistency is truly inspirational. The carbonation literally hangs in the glass, creating a suspended cloud of headyness. If you like white ale (and it's my favorite), this is a homerun. Has a tasty lemon flavor with a distant accent of slight tartness. The combination of the two gives it a truly unique appeal. I'll give it Japan here, this is a mindblower. Picked up a pint of it at ShopRite Liquors in Oakland (AMAZING selection btw). The description they used on the display was simply "Some say it's the best beer", and I think they might be right. Oh, and the drinkibility is off the charts.

03-12-2010 01:59:25 | More by HeroicDoses
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Wow! What a pleasant surprise! I tried this beer on-tap at a new restaurant near my apartment called "Kushi." I was in the mood for a light, white ale - and this beer definitely delivered. It was crisp and refreshing. Nice deep yellow color, with a minimal foam head. Smell was of apples and jasmine. Taste was tart and light, a little sour, but well balanced. I'd have this beer again, and again, and again..

03-10-2010 02:45:34 | More by alysmith4
GilGarp

Colorado

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Stubby 12oz. brown bottle with a cute label and an owl on the cap. Stamped H.08.11.

Served cold and poured into my St. B. Watou glass, it has a hazy yellow color with floaty yeast pieces despite sitting about a week and a careful transfer. The head is non-existent.

Aroma is lemon-tart but with some sweetness. It's faint though and even worse because I can't even swirl a little bit of head out of it.

Flavor is fresh and crisp, sweet and sour, lots of lemon. It's not at all what I would think of as a witbier. It's pretty tasty but definately not as crowd-friendly as most other of the style.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body, a little creamy because of the suspended yeast, but a surprisingly carbonated beer considering the appearances.

Drinkability is good and I can imagine this would be perfect on a sunny summer day. I just probably wouldn't share with the casual beer drinker. Too tart/sour for most.

03-09-2010 23:34:52 | More by GilGarp
IRONRakkasan

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Mmmm, tangy.

Best way I could describe this beer is that I thought I was drinking a souped up lemonade hef. I wasn't sure what to expect, certainly not that, but it was a pleasant surprise non-the least!

The head was initially huge (despite a careful opening and pour). It was a typical hazy gold, and along with the lemony scent, yeast was up there saying hello. The aftertaste was even really nice.

This I could enjoy especially after working a long day in the sun. Now, If I could only find it in bigger bottles!

Recommended.

03-09-2010 05:22:40 | More by IRONRakkasan
brewbasterd

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a bright golden color until the settled yeast is shaken up and added to make a hazy pale yelloow hue. The nose is that of sour lemons and wheat,there is definately some tartness on the nose also. Lemons and orange peels, along with corriander on the palate, wheat is present and a sour yeasty taste, almost like a lemon sweet tart. Light bodied and extremely refreshing, great beer for the summer or anytime of the year.

02-27-2010 05:04:28 | More by brewbasterd
apbarwood

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Beautiful appearance for the style. Light gold and hazy with a thick white head. Great retention and lacing. The aroma is complex with a strong floral/spicy element mingling with a nice citrus quality. Loads of orange peel flavors blended with a strong spiciness. Ginger seems pretty dominant in my opinion but there's a lot going on here. A strong carbonation makes this one nice and refreshing. A great/unique representation of the style that I think is a love it or hate it kind of beer. Personally I don't care for the flavors but I think somebody who likes the spicy/perfumy wits will definitely love this one. A must try for wit beer fans and something I'd recommend to anyone in general to try just once. My first beer from this brewery and I look forward to trying the other beers they have to offer.

02-11-2010 01:44:51 | More by apbarwood
icetraxx

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit, which I feel is much too warm for this beer/style, I placed my beer in my homemade blast chiller to cool it 10 degrees (so what if its made from aluminum foil and attached to the air duct in my freezer!).

A: Pours a light straw color into my Weizen glass with little suspended yeast and powerful orange highlights. I had to agitate the bottle to get some yeast suspended, which worked quite well. The giant 1 pint 8.3oz bottle poured a two-three finger head that is slowly dissipating, very sightly creamy, and sticks around for 3/4 of my pint. Has the potential to lace well, but I take small sips and splash the beer around too much to produce lacing while writing reviews. Carbonation looks crazy. Actually a good appearance for the style, but lacks the creamy Allagash White head.
Edit: The second pour revealed a lot of lacing as well as a creaminess to the head; raised score .5.

S: Wow, I am not sure where to start here. This is the second Hitachino beer I have had, and I can only describe their beers are intensely aromatic. The aroma has strong hints of fresh ginger, nutmeg, oak, earth, dried pineapple, orange, and as with my last Hitachino beer, many other aromas that I can not describe. Coriander is in there somewhere. Ginger, citrus fruity and earthy are the dominate aromas. I can detect a hint of grapefruit with the citrus. New aromas keep forming, what an amazing experience.

T: Very interesting. Sour, not Jolly Pumpkin sour, but the most sour I've ever had in a Wit. The malt seems overwhelmed until the finish, where a crisp un-malted wheat backbone tickles your tongue. Ginger, nutmeg, orange, and lemon are upfront. A hint of coriander tantalizes your taste buds on the rather dry finish. There is some sweetness that is balanced by the sour and dry finish. Bitterness is very low, hops seem lost, which is ok for this style as the coriander takes their place. The earthy aroma builds while tasting, eventually turning itself into another flavor dimension.

As I pay less attention while drinking my pint, the fruity flavors seem to come together to form a grapefruit like hoppy flavor (a Witbier with Hops!), and then a rangpur-lime like flavor forms. Overtime while drinking, new flavors are discovered and old ones fade away, what a complex Witbier; scratch that, what a complex beer in general. Near the end of my pint, the fruityness of the hops finally reveal themselves full force and transform.

-After-taste thought: The aftertaste of this beer is reminiscent of honey, orange, and grapes; what a fabulous combination. The best aftertaste I've witnessed in a beer to date (1-18-10). Sometimes the aftertaste reveals a lot of malted wheat. This is the most dynamic beer I've ever had. This beer takes the Witbier style and rewrites the rule book as far as taste goes.

M: Carbonation isn't as nearly as overpowering as I expected it to be, I am actually looking for a bit more carbonation than I am getting here. Sort of chewy and creamy when you roll the beer around in your mouth, unlike other beers, this one isn't doing it via carbonation. This is the thickest wit I have had to date.

D: Attempting to savor this beer whilst following the complex flavor changes over time is no easy challenge, I find myself drinking it rather quickly due to the pure joy and beer nirvana this beer provides. Another? $9? Here is my credit card, yes please.

O: Price and adherence to the style be damned, this is as good as Witbiers get, sorry Belgium and Allagash. This is the most interesting *beer* I've had yet, and from Japan, color me shocked. If you love regular Wits, watch out, this one may be an acquired taste. This beer is downright funky, and takes me the closest to beer nirvana I have ever been.

01-19-2010 01:20:32 | More by icetraxx
HeyItsChili

China

Had this on tap at Closed for Business on King St in Charleston.

A - Hazy golenrod with a foamy one finger head that sticks around a while and rings the pint glass.

S - Floral hops, yeastiness, spices.

T - Really interesting take on the witbier formula. Above the lightly citrusy hops is a really powerful nutmeg spice flavor with some other spices thrown in for good measure.

M - Nice, medium bodied. Serves the flavor profile well.

01-14-2010 15:16:27 | More by HeyItsChili
obywan59

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz. bottle

Cloudy yellow with a 3 finger white head that quickly dissipates from a hard pour. Vixible particles suspended in the beer, some almost lumpy. Next to no lacing at all.

Fabulous aroma of orange and spiciness from coriander.

Barely sweet with a lemony twang followed by an amazing explosion of orange and clove/coriander in the back of the mouth.

Thin, light body. Drying on the tongue.

Superb drinker. Several of these would be great for a hot muggy summer night. But it's still warming, from the spiciness, for this cold winters night. I wish I could get it by the six-pack.

01-12-2010 04:46:30 | More by obywan59