Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest White AleHitachino Nest White Ale

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001)
View: Beers (24) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest White Ale Alström Bros
pwoody11

Delaware

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

from notes...

Nice head, rather thick but dissapates quickly leaving a slippery lace.

The aroma consists of coriander, cinnamon, ginger, orange peel and some green apple.

The taste is a little sour. I'm getting lemon and lime with some orange towards the end.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and found it to be very quaff-able. I think it would be great for a nice summer day on the patio or while working the grill. I'll definitely seek this one out again.

03-29-2010 22:03:28 | More by pwoody11
sje2

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 1 Pint 9 oz bottle into a single pint glass.
The instant smell of lemon and coriander overwhelm you instantly. A solid 1 finger head fills my pint glass. A japanese wheat beer is quite the conundrum, but very surprising. It has a light yellow hazy appearance. The lemon draw is sharp as you swallow, but very pleasant. An extremely tasty brew.

03-26-2010 01:50:45 | More by sje2
ADZA

Australia

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

This brew pours a pale straw hue with decent carbonation that leaves a two finger bubbly head and nice lacing all around the glass,wow what an aroma its full on citrus,orange peel,lemon zest and the feintest bit of corriander which i rather like and to be honest this has to be one of the nicest,strongest smelling witbiers ive smelt really inviting,it has a nice easy mouthfeel which slides down with tastes of citrus,orange peel,lemon & lime bitters and lemon barley,i dont usually give too many 5's for any beer but i only bought one of these brews and as soon as i finished it i wanted another one so bad its not funny,overall a really tasty brew that will buy more of.

03-19-2010 12:24:15 | More by ADZA
whtguitarguy

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle, this one was a real treat. (Almost better than a European). A thick yellow translucent color with a one finger head that coats rather well. Smells of citrus and orange peel fill the nose followed with a touch of coriander. Sweet taste in the beginning going down to a slight spiciness. Excellent

03-17-2010 17:00:19 | More by whtguitarguy
HeroicDoses

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich yellow haze with a spectacular head. Smell is a deep mix of subtle lemon and wheat. Consistency is truly inspirational. The carbonation literally hangs in the glass, creating a suspended cloud of headyness. If you like white ale (and it's my favorite), this is a homerun. Has a tasty lemon flavor with a distant accent of slight tartness. The combination of the two gives it a truly unique appeal. I'll give it Japan here, this is a mindblower. Picked up a pint of it at ShopRite Liquors in Oakland (AMAZING selection btw). The description they used on the display was simply "Some say it's the best beer", and I think they might be right. Oh, and the drinkibility is off the charts.

03-12-2010 01:59:25 | More by HeroicDoses
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Wow! What a pleasant surprise! I tried this beer on-tap at a new restaurant near my apartment called "Kushi." I was in the mood for a light, white ale - and this beer definitely delivered. It was crisp and refreshing. Nice deep yellow color, with a minimal foam head. Smell was of apples and jasmine. Taste was tart and light, a little sour, but well balanced. I'd have this beer again, and again, and again..

03-10-2010 02:45:34 | More by alysmith4
GilGarp

Colorado

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Stubby 12oz. brown bottle with a cute label and an owl on the cap. Stamped H.08.11.

Served cold and poured into my St. B. Watou glass, it has a hazy yellow color with floaty yeast pieces despite sitting about a week and a careful transfer. The head is non-existent.

Aroma is lemon-tart but with some sweetness. It's faint though and even worse because I can't even swirl a little bit of head out of it.

Flavor is fresh and crisp, sweet and sour, lots of lemon. It's not at all what I would think of as a witbier. It's pretty tasty but definately not as crowd-friendly as most other of the style.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body, a little creamy because of the suspended yeast, but a surprisingly carbonated beer considering the appearances.

Drinkability is good and I can imagine this would be perfect on a sunny summer day. I just probably wouldn't share with the casual beer drinker. Too tart/sour for most.

03-09-2010 23:34:52 | More by GilGarp
IRONRakkasan

Mmmm, tangy.

Best way I could describe this beer is that I thought I was drinking a souped up lemonade hef. I wasn't sure what to expect, certainly not that, but it was a pleasant surprise non-the least!

The head was initially huge (despite a careful opening and pour). It was a typical hazy gold, and along with the lemony scent, yeast was up there saying hello. The aftertaste was even really nice.

This I could enjoy especially after working a long day in the sun. Now, If I could only find it in bigger bottles!

Recommended.

03-09-2010 05:22:40 | More by IRONRakkasan
brewbasterd

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a bright golden color until the settled yeast is shaken up and added to make a hazy pale yelloow hue. The nose is that of sour lemons and wheat,there is definately some tartness on the nose also. Lemons and orange peels, along with corriander on the palate, wheat is present and a sour yeasty taste, almost like a lemon sweet tart. Light bodied and extremely refreshing, great beer for the summer or anytime of the year.

02-27-2010 05:04:28 | More by brewbasterd
apbarwood

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Beautiful appearance for the style. Light gold and hazy with a thick white head. Great retention and lacing. The aroma is complex with a strong floral/spicy element mingling with a nice citrus quality. Loads of orange peel flavors blended with a strong spiciness. Ginger seems pretty dominant in my opinion but there's a lot going on here. A strong carbonation makes this one nice and refreshing. A great/unique representation of the style that I think is a love it or hate it kind of beer. Personally I don't care for the flavors but I think somebody who likes the spicy/perfumy wits will definitely love this one. A must try for wit beer fans and something I'd recommend to anyone in general to try just once. My first beer from this brewery and I look forward to trying the other beers they have to offer.

02-11-2010 01:44:51 | More by apbarwood
icetraxx

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit, which I feel is much too warm for this beer/style, I placed my beer in my homemade blast chiller to cool it 10 degrees (so what if its made from aluminum foil and attached to the air duct in my freezer!).

A: Pours a light straw color into my Weizen glass with little suspended yeast and powerful orange highlights. I had to agitate the bottle to get some yeast suspended, which worked quite well. The giant 1 pint 8.3oz bottle poured a two-three finger head that is slowly dissipating, very sightly creamy, and sticks around for 3/4 of my pint. Has the potential to lace well, but I take small sips and splash the beer around too much to produce lacing while writing reviews. Carbonation looks crazy. Actually a good appearance for the style, but lacks the creamy Allagash White head.
Edit: The second pour revealed a lot of lacing as well as a creaminess to the head; raised score .5.

S: Wow, I am not sure where to start here. This is the second Hitachino beer I have had, and I can only describe their beers are intensely aromatic. The aroma has strong hints of fresh ginger, nutmeg, oak, earth, dried pineapple, orange, and as with my last Hitachino beer, many other aromas that I can not describe. Coriander is in there somewhere. Ginger, citrus fruity and earthy are the dominate aromas. I can detect a hint of grapefruit with the citrus. New aromas keep forming, what an amazing experience.

T: Very interesting. Sour, not Jolly Pumpkin sour, but the most sour I've ever had in a Wit. The malt seems overwhelmed until the finish, where a crisp un-malted wheat backbone tickles your tongue. Ginger, nutmeg, orange, and lemon are upfront. A hint of coriander tantalizes your taste buds on the rather dry finish. There is some sweetness that is balanced by the sour and dry finish. Bitterness is very low, hops seem lost, which is ok for this style as the coriander takes their place. The earthy aroma builds while tasting, eventually turning itself into another flavor dimension.

As I pay less attention while drinking my pint, the fruity flavors seem to come together to form a grapefruit like hoppy flavor (a Witbier with Hops!), and then a rangpur-lime like flavor forms. Overtime while drinking, new flavors are discovered and old ones fade away, what a complex Witbier; scratch that, what a complex beer in general. Near the end of my pint, the fruityness of the hops finally reveal themselves full force and transform.

-After-taste thought: The aftertaste of this beer is reminiscent of honey, orange, and grapes; what a fabulous combination. The best aftertaste I've witnessed in a beer to date (1-18-10). Sometimes the aftertaste reveals a lot of malted wheat. This is the most dynamic beer I've ever had. This beer takes the Witbier style and rewrites the rule book as far as taste goes.

M: Carbonation isn't as nearly as overpowering as I expected it to be, I am actually looking for a bit more carbonation than I am getting here. Sort of chewy and creamy when you roll the beer around in your mouth, unlike other beers, this one isn't doing it via carbonation. This is the thickest wit I have had to date.

D: Attempting to savor this beer whilst following the complex flavor changes over time is no easy challenge, I find myself drinking it rather quickly due to the pure joy and beer nirvana this beer provides. Another? $9? Here is my credit card, yes please.

O: Price and adherence to the style be damned, this is as good as Witbiers get, sorry Belgium and Allagash. This is the most interesting *beer* I've had yet, and from Japan, color me shocked. If you love regular Wits, watch out, this one may be an acquired taste. This beer is downright funky, and takes me the closest to beer nirvana I have ever been.

01-19-2010 01:20:32 | More by icetraxx
HeyItsChili

China

Had this on tap at Closed for Business on King St in Charleston.

A - Hazy golenrod with a foamy one finger head that sticks around a while and rings the pint glass.

S - Floral hops, yeastiness, spices.

T - Really interesting take on the witbier formula. Above the lightly citrusy hops is a really powerful nutmeg spice flavor with some other spices thrown in for good measure.

M - Nice, medium bodied. Serves the flavor profile well.

01-14-2010 15:16:27 | More by HeyItsChili
obywan59

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz. bottle

Cloudy yellow with a 3 finger white head that quickly dissipates from a hard pour. Vixible particles suspended in the beer, some almost lumpy. Next to no lacing at all.

Fabulous aroma of orange and spiciness from coriander.

Barely sweet with a lemony twang followed by an amazing explosion of orange and clove/coriander in the back of the mouth.

Thin, light body. Drying on the tongue.

Superb drinker. Several of these would be great for a hot muggy summer night. But it's still warming, from the spiciness, for this cold winters night. I wish I could get it by the six-pack.

01-12-2010 04:46:30 | More by obywan59
farrago

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Whipped up froth gets to about one finger of pure white, then rapidly fizzles down to the surface, very little lacing left behind. Fuzzy light orange to yellow liquid, easy to see the particulate floating inside, given lighter hue it's just about entirely opaque. Clove, coriander, cinnamon stick and orange zest do most of the work in the nose, straw, meadow grasses and garden herbs right there, close to earthy at moments, apricot and peach pit all for fruit scents. Medium-bodied, the carbonation doesn't lift as much as paste the liquid to the roof of your mouth. Sour orange, grapefruit citrus an eye opener, coriander, ginger spice, white pepper, wheatgerm, develops just the right amount of rougher texture to extend the finish. More tart than many witbiers but none the less enjoyable for it.

01-12-2010 02:30:48 | More by farrago
biboergosum

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

720ml bottle. I remember this brewery from a mini pub crawl I was part of in Chicago a few years ago, where we wound up at this Japanese/techno fusion place. The locals suggested the Hitachino beers, because I guess they were new at the time, and appropriate for the occasion. Well, my current occasion isn't very Japanese, unless you count the bags of mandarin Christmas oranges I've consumed over the past month.

This beer pours a foggy pale golden yellow hue, with two lofty fingers of puffy, loosely foamy off-white head, which leaves some random paint splatter lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells of softly grainy wheat malt, a bit of dank citrus, and a somewhat funky clove and nutmeg spiciness. The taste is mildly edgy wheat grain, a tart citrus creaminess, some additional drupe fruitiness, hints of ginger and nutmeg holiday goodness, and earthy, leafy noble hops.

The carbonation is somewhat frothy, but generally agreeable, the body a medium-light weight, and quite smooth, nothing worthy enough to mess with that. It finishes off-dry, the semi-sweet wheatiness playing nice with the lingering citrus and earthy spices.

While maybe a tad reserved on the spice quotient, this is still one pleasantly slavish ode to the Belgian style - wheaty, fruity, and spicy, all in a manner that deserves quiet contemplation, i.e. my friend's Chicago backyard before a Lollapalooza show, instead of the pithy, way too trendy club afterwards.

12-29-2009 06:32:46 | More by biboergosum
IronDjinn

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

From a 720 ml brown bottle. Tall shock white loose spongy head on the pour that slowly recedes at a steady rate. Cloudy yet bright straw colour in appearance.

Sweet, slightly tart citrusy aroma, with some earthy, funky notes from the nutmeg, almost a bit cheesy.

Tart wheat and citrus in the flavour, the nutmeg continues to provide that funky, earthy character, especially in light of the contrasting notes of the style. In a way it works, yet it doesn't quite work for my palate though.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, spritzy carbonation, a bit sticky on the palate.

This holds its own as a wit for sure, the nutmeg is a curious extra touch. I can't stand behind it 100% though, for me it doesn't quite work for the style, it adds an interesting contrast, but puts a huge cramp in the overall harmony.

12-25-2009 22:41:22 | More by IronDjinn
cvaypai

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from bottle to snifter.

Appearance - Straw hazy yellow with lots of sediment and poured with a 1 finger foamy head that dissapears quickly. Leaves a small amount of lacing.

Smell - Peppery, grassy and smells of coriander and other spices. Very spicy smell. A small amount of wheat malt detectable but not much else, very spicy grassy smell overall.

Taste - Peppery with coriander and ginger finish. The beer has a bit of sweet wheatness to it but not much else. Very exotic tasting and unlike anything I have ever had. A bit of a funky end on the finish, no bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Very light and effervescent, not too heavy at all, good on the tongue for the style.

Drinkability - One of these is plenty for me, I am sure if I was more used to it I could handle much more, its probably not the beer here, its me.

12-19-2009 05:12:14 | More by cvaypai
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

Picked up a bottle at Goebels in Wichita

Pours an effervescent straw color with a sliver of beige head. Hazes a bit as it warms, no head retention & lacing

S: White pepper & coriander & grassyness & barnyard

T: Grassy, slightlty funky, & lemons up front. Grassyness, lemon zest & funk dominate as this warms, plus much tartness. Puckery tartness in the finish, along with some dryness & funky grass

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation & puckery tartness

Through the roof drikability, easily the best Japanese beer & or Wit I've had, period

12-13-2009 04:02:31 | More by russpowell
wordemupg

720ml bottle poured into pint glass nov28 2009

A a cloudy golden yellow with lots of carbonation and a fingers worth of bone white head with decent retention falling to a thin film that leaves a few patches of lace

S like cereal with a fair bit of coriander and a little bit of lemon

T a decent wit from Japan? believe it! this has all the usual flavors clove,citrus,spice and wheat but it's blended so well I'm just stoked by this one a very nice surprise

M thin but good carbonation gives it a very light feel on par for the style

D this might get a 5 had I drank it on a hot sunny day, but even with snow on the ground it's sinking like a ship

not what I expect from a Japanese white ale, keeping that in mind I didn't know what to expect from Japanese micro's. this is the second beer I've had from this brewer and I must admit I'm looking forward to my third

11-29-2009 02:26:19 | More by wordemupg
Lldeegan

Louisiana

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

This brightly labeled 11.2 ounce bottle poured a lively pale straw colored beer with a nice light wheat haze. It produced a nice finger of a snow white soapy head, which leaves a finely bubbled lacing all over. This is a very nice looking witbier, a little lighter than I expected it to be, and looks very refreshing and drinkable.
Spices hit the nose first, followed by orange peel, some lemon, ginger and that linger.
Same as the smell, the taste is first of clove mostly, and coriander, with a nice lemony zest on the back, with some smooth, clean grainy malt with a quick dry spiced/herb finish.
This is a very refreshing beer, very effervescent and tasty.
The 11.2 oz disappeared quite fast.

11-05-2009 00:59:39 | More by Lldeegan
woodychandler

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

I got a finger of bone-white head with low retention off of my pour. Nose had a great citrus-y zestiness: lemon peel, orange peel, lime. It was like air freshener in a glass, but not in a bad, cloying way. Color was a cloudy honey-yellow. Mouthfeel was medium with an attention-getting bite of ginger (?), no wait, nutmeg (!), cutting right through all of the citrus. The nutmeg really carried the flavor, but it also set up a very dry finish. This would be great on a hot, humid summer day or with sushi. Ah, sushi! Pass the salmon!

11-01-2009 14:06:20 | More by woodychandler
Minkybut

2.58/5  rDev -37.2%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was very light /white colored for sure. The smell of this beer was kinda sour and fruity. Very effervescent looking at first but then the head decayed really fast and was gone. The taste was fruity and slightly sour also. I guess it is an okay beer for a wheat, but not my cup of beer, I will not buy again.

10-30-2009 13:31:17 | More by Minkybut
berley31

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Poured with a small, white head that diminished to a thin froth on the beer. Body is a nice, dark-yellow color, and very cloudy.

S: Wow, there's a lot going on in here. Lots of spices, especially coriander, coming through, as well as lemon, lime, and pepper.

T: Equally as much going on in the taste... not quite like any other wit I've had before. Slightly milder taste than the smell, but still lots of coriander, orange, and pepper, but nicely balanced overall.

M: Light-bodied, but creamy, with lively carbonation.

D: Fairly easy to drink, but all of those spices may make it hard to have more than a couple. Still, a very interesting wit that should be tried by any fan of the class.

10-22-2009 20:39:30 | More by berley31
tone77

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Smell is sweet, citrus with spices. Taste is a good mixture of fruit and spices, quite tasty. Feels great in the mouth and I could drink these all night. Overall this is a high quality beer that is worth checking out.

10-20-2009 23:29:45 | More by tone77
DrJay

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

Gold with a bit of haze and a constant stream of bubbles supporting a soapy, bright white head. The cap thinned quickly to a fine skim. Aromas of citrus zest, cloves, bread, grain and straw. The flavour was milder than the aroma with notes of lemon and clove, bread and malt sweetness. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly soapy texture. Refreshing with a nice aroma.

09-19-2009 20:01:54 | More by DrJay