Hitachino Nest White Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest White AleHitachino Nest White Ale

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest White Ale Alström Bros

Mikkiicky, Feb 21, 2014

JCFritt, Apr 27, 2013

GarthT, May 17, 2014

Perilousleigh, Jan 20, 2013

Undated (and unsized unless I read Japaneese) bottle

A - Pours a hazy gold color, a littl edark, with lots of visible carbonation. The 1 cm head is retained for some time.

S - Spices are the dominant nose on this one. My guess is that it is mostly clove and secondarily coriander. I think there i some what of a orange zest background to it.

T - It starts with some bitterness, with some of the malt coming through. Not much connection with the smell. The aftertaste on this one is not my favorite. There is nothing there, but perhaps some orange peel backdrop. All and all not strong in any aspect.

M - This feels dry to me - its got a bite to it. It has alot of carbonation as well that goes along with it.

D - An okay drinker - although the carbonation is a bit strong which would slow me down.

I really wanted to like this beer. I think drinking a Belgian White from Japan is pretty cool. But, like my first unreviewed time I had it, I was underwhelmed. Perhaps this thing is just to bitter and dry to get it done. And, this baby being so pricy doesn't help.

katan, Nov 12, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance – Light yellow and wonderfully hazy in color with a pretty good head.

Smell – This one had a monster coriander aroma that took control of the nose. I could also pick up some orange and maybe a bit of yeast.

Taste – A good portion of the coriander from the nose found its way into the taste. There was also a bit of orangish sourness and a light yeast backbone.

Mouthfeel – I thought the mouthfeel was a little clumsy. There was some significant carbonation but the body itself was thin-feeling.

Drinkability – This was OK, but I probably wouldn’t look for another.

RoyalT, Apr 24, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance - Hazy pale yellow, 1.5 finger head, low carbonation. Head fades quickly.

Aroma - Big on the coriander and nutmeg. Light citrus character along with the tangy wheat malt and adjuncts.

Taste - Sour citrus notes, like a mix of sour lemonade and orange juice up front. Although they don't use any I'm getting some ginger notes as well. Definitely get a mix of nutmeg and coriander in the end with some tartness. Medium body. Almost a completely dry finish though.

Tangy and refreshing, great for a hot day.

ryno09, Jul 18, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

My experience with Japanese beers has been Asahi and Sopporo, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I suppose those are just Japan's macros. Much better than I expected.

Poured a little cloudy, a ale yellow color with white head that disappeared fast.

The yeast was very powerful on the nose, wheat and a little funk... I think the beer might have been a little old, I don't know there's no date on it.

The wheat was a little thick, usually white ales tend to be very 'refreshing' to drink; this was not the case with Hitachino Nest. Sweet on the tongue and finished quite dry.

Best Japanese beer I've had yet. I'm more open to trying more from the land of the rising sun in the future.

donteatpoop, Apr 01, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Pint glass at South Park Tavern.

A: Cloudy pale yellow-gold color, with a thin head. Very cloudy.

S: A little bit of a musky smell.

T: lemony bitter taste with wheat, hay and grass notes.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated with a lemony bitter finish.

D: Light summer beer, that goes down relatively easy. The tart lemony flavor is a bit strong and might prevent me from having more than one of these.

chaz01, May 03, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

My first review, so here goes:

A: Poured from a uniquely-shaped 8.3 fl. oz. (1 pint) bottle into the largest mug I could find in my cabinet. Body is opaque orange-yellow with a cloud-white head. Tiny bubbles dance upwards thru the body, I applaud the presentation.

S: Whoa! Before I even brought the mug to my nose, I received a blast of spicy aroma. Taking two whiffs, it was almost overbearingly spicy with layers of coriander and something clove-like. Recovering from the initial blast, I now sense the wheaty-goodness and a faint smell of yeast. Decent but too pungent.

T: An instantly refreshing first few sips complete with classic style characteristics dominated by orange and, is that a lemon zest? A bit flowery and sweet throughout, plus there's the mild unbalance as the spice dominates the aftertaste.

M: Medium-thin, slippery, blissful mouthfeel that is the highlight of the experience. Slightly high carbonation is my only semi-complaint.

D: As I'm a bit more than halfway thru the pint, I've enjoyed most of what this Wit has to offer. But I don't see myself getting over the spicy zing that takes over from nose to finish, which crowds out the lovely citrus and wheat notes.

Comments: As a variation of the Wit style, Hitachino Nest White is undoubtedly original. I like that the brewer takes risks, many of them paying off - its mouthfeel is fresh and smooth plus the appearance is delightful - but the intense spice profile is a couple notches too high. Overall, it is a pleasant ale with one noticeable flaw.

dc0322, Feb 04, 2011
3.39/5  rDev -17.3%

11.2 oz bottle dated H.14.02 and served in pint glass. Beer is pale yellow in color, with big soda bubbles rising towards a white head. Actually it looks like cloudy mountain dew. And as cloudy as it is, there's a significant layer of trub still left in the bottle. Pleasant lemon-citrus peel aroma, though.

Flavor is neutral in the grain department, thanks to a healthy load of wheat in the mash, with a coriander flavor front and center, taste profile wise. Orange peel comes out as well. Except for the heavy dose of carbonation is quite drinkable and enjoyable. But as a witbier I think the gimmick of high-quality craft brews from Japan that aren't adjunct lager has kind of worn off by now. I'm certainly less excited about this now than I was when I first tasted it years ago.

hreb, May 11, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance- Pale yellow color with zero head.
Smell- Not much going on.. faint citrus and maybe some banana
Taste- Slight citrus, wheat, coriander
Feel- Good carbonation.
Overall this beer isn't anything special.. a step up from blue moon... would go well with some sushi.

hoppyweasel311, Nov 17, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

It was a nice warm Sunday, so I tried a big 750 ml bottle of this poured into a shaker style pint glass..

A- It poured orange-gold, very cloudy, with a snow-white head, which dissipated quickly.

S- Coriander and citrus very prevalent, some banana and clove.

T- Powerful coriander and orange peel taste. Very powerful flavor.

M- Medium body, but very light drinking, since it was bottle conditioned it was smooth.

D- Very refreshing, a good summertime beer.

cichief, Apr 23, 2007