Hitachino Nest Weizen - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest WeizenHitachino Nest Weizen

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest Weizen Alström Bros
4.52/5  rDev +20.5%

Orange-golden in color with a nice size head that slowly disappears. Aroma is citrus and bannana with some strong yeast. Tangerine in the taste, sweet and slightly tart. Finishes with a nice yeasty bite. Who would have guessed that one of my favorite wheat beers is from Japan?

2.87/5  rDev -23.5%

A- Lively carbonation as I pour from a 330 ml bottle. Just like my last beer from Kiuchi the head fizzled out and left no lace behind. Color is a cloudy dirty yellow.

S- Smell mainly consists of wheat & lemons. There's a hint of spice as well.

T- It's fairly tart throughout and the finish is rather sweet and sticks with you for awhile. The label says "Enjoy the banana like flavor", well I'm still trying to find it.

M- Light bodied probably to thin actually, but the carbonation helps it a bit and makes it somewhat refreshing.

D- Meh, I'll pass next time.

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a good size head. It's a very light, pale color at first. And very clear. Once the last of the bottle makes it in the glass, it turns a richer orange color and appropriately hazy. Smells lemony and crisp. Tastes light and bubbly in the mouth at first. Then the wholeness of the wheat kicks in. Still relatively light. Very refreshing and extremely drinkable.

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

330mL squat brown stubbie bottle, past its freshness date of 11/11/2008 by nearly three months, but in a land where cerevisial delights are few and far between, I'll take what I can get. Purchased at Muji, Canal City, Fukuoka (if that's of interest to anyone).

No true Weizengläser handy, just a standard reasonably tall Japanese beer mug. Poured with much less carbonation and head formation than I would have expected; disappointing. Bottle shape isn't appropriate for a Weißbier, especially since this has been sitting undisturbed for a while. When sediment was poured, it was an appropriate cloudy dark gold colour with little carbonation evident. Wonder if there was a slight leak in the cap - probably just the beer.

Smell is pretty authentic: banana more than anything else. It's been a while since I've had a decent Weizen, or indeed a decent beer of any kind, so my senses are rusty, but there was a surfeit of banana in the nose. Other typical Weizen aromas were there though; grainy wheatiness, cloves, bitter hops etc.

Taste is pretty unbalanced: a little sour, not as sweet on the tongue as anticipated and certainly more than a little rough on the palate. Disappointing, but it still resembles the style, it's nice and buttery and is definitely still drinkable, so it doesn't rank below 'average'. Perhaps I am a little overcritical since I am such a fan of this style, but this beer's heart is in the right place and I can't fault that.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard but there is a slight aftereffect in my mouth right now that is making my palate a little dry and unpleasant. Despite that though I'd definitely have a few more of these if I could - only I'm not in Fukuoka any more!

Overall: I'll have it again, preferably fresher, preferably at the brewery, and I'm sure my experience with this beer will improve a lot. Above average, but my tasting of this bottle wasn't anything better than the "average" Weizenbier out there.

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Really light, crisp and clean looking beer. Lots of bubbles, but only about 1 finger of quickly fading head.

S: Nice wheat and slightly cirtrusy or lemony sweet aroma. Some clove. Just slightly musky. Nicely balanced.

T: Very nice signature Hitachino bite. I haven't met a Hitachino I haven't loved, and this is no exception. Wonderfully deep and complex without being overpowering. One of their lighter offerings, but still worth checking out. Delicious beer.

M: Great carbonation, a bit of an alcohol scrape on the swallow, but nothing too bad. Mild alcohol and clove aftertaste.

O: Another great beer from Kiuchi Brewery. Not their best work, but certainly better than most.

3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured a hazy golden orange with a nice, off-white head that fell to a thin ring with little islands floating on top.
Aromas of green apple, some cloves, hints of ginger, wheat, and sour lemon.
Wheaty flavors dominate with some lemon coming next. Hints of the spices, not as strong as in the aroma.
Kind of thick mouthfeel. Good carbonation, and the lemon flavor lingers for a bit.
Fairly drinkable. Maybe a little heavy for a hot day, maybe better for early/mid fall before things get too cold outside.
Not bad beer. There are definitely better hefes out there, but this is still a good one to try.

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

Hitachino has been impressing at a fast rate, with few misses and some unique hits. This one pours a cloudy, murky, orangey light lemon with a thin head that dissapates and a light lacing ring. Sure looks like a heffe. Aroma of citrus and brett. Am I the only one that picks up Hitachino's resident funk...found in several across the board including the reining champ, XH?The body is spritzy, carrying a lemon zest, light citrus peel and the barnyard I love. Horse hair and confectionary sugar take this one above the rest. The sweet, powdered sugar is light and rides the palate to a soft end. I have been consistently grinning after my lips retreat from the nest. Kumpei!

4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

I know what you’re thinking: A weizen? From Japan?

Asahi, Kirin and Sapporo are all good beers in their own right, but if that’s all that comes to mind when you think of Japanese beer, think – and then drink - again!

This is some good stuff. And I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.

More amber than golden, this weizen is smooth, cloudy and slightly sweet smelling. All of the traditional essences - apple, banana, clove and fresh baked bread – are there contributing to a mild and pleasing aroma.

As I took my first sip, I was caught a little off guard by the carbonation, but the brew rolled off my tongue nicely with a delightful finish. There’s a hint of syrupy sweetness that I’ve not encountered in a weizen before, but it doesn’t take away from the experience.

I can see why this beer won Gold Medals at the 2000 ABT Competition in England and the 2000 DLG Guarantee of Quality contest in Germany.

By the way – I’ve read “Hitachino” translates to “abundant forest.”

All in all a quaffable brew and one I will definitely have again.

4.44/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

There's some light bubblegum in the aroma along with some clove, vanilla, and a faint twang of lemon and yeasty sourness. The dull yellow body is very cloudy; the eggshell-white head is foamy with good retention; lots of lacing sticks around. There is some rather pronounced bitterness in the initial taste. Also present is some banana, vanilla, and grainy malt. The clove spiciness is restrained but well balanced with the sweeter qualities. Surprisingly not much yeasty sourness. A grainy texture lingers upon swallowing. The body is medium-light with crisp, spritzy carbonation.

This is a very delicious, refreshing, and well-structured weizen. The bitterness was a little surprising at first, but it helps to balance out the sweeter flavors in place of the thankfully absent yeasty sourness. The carbonation is a bit intense but not bad.

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

This weizen had a golden color, with a decent, small bubbled head. There was not too much lace. The aroma was not too bad - clovey, spicey (nutmeg?), and citrusy. The taste had many of the same elements as the aroma - cloves, spices, citrus. It was also a bit grassy with some maltiness. It had a spicey and dry finish that was verging on sour. Definately not an awful beer, but one I probably won't buy again.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice yellow gold color with a small to medium size head. Nice clean smelling and tasting beer. Not a whole lot of body. You can smell and taste the citrus and other spices. Somewhat sweet flavor. Nice and creamy. The thing that really stands out for me was the spiciness at the finish. It's a good clean beer that is very refreshing.

This weizen from Kiuchi was a good beer but not completely what you'd expect from a weizen.

Overall I've enjoyed the Hitachino Nest line of beers but I can't help wondering why they are priced so high. They're good but at $4.99 a bottle they should be great.

For less than half the price you could get an excellent German weizen. For a third the price you can get a decent American weizen.

Again, it's a good beer but I think for what it is it is a bit on the expensive side.

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

1 pt. 5 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A: Poured a cloudy lemony-golden with 1-inch head. Lacing all around the glass. Awesome carbonation. No complaints here.

S: Tons of yeast. Some crazy sweet/sour clove thing going on with some mild funky citrus. Could have sworn this was a Saison by the smell instead of a Hefeweizen.

T: Huge wave of tartness followed by yeast and lemon-citrus notes. Semi-dry finish.

M: Great carbonation. Tartness does some crazy stuff to your tongue.

D: Had this one a long time ago. Tastes a lot different than I remember. I've had a bunch of different kinds of Hitachino Nests and they always seem to push the boundaries of the beer category listed on the bottle. Either that means they're that good, or they need to re-label their beers, but regardless I find myself picking up more bottles for a second-try.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

Pours a cloudy orangey colour with a small white head.

Smell is yeasty with a strong clove and faint fruity banana. A decent carbonation and fruity malt taste is immediately refreshing. A light to medium body and slightly lemony tartness give way to a lingering sweet and spicy finish.

In my opinion, this is a very good example of the style. It's also very refreshing.

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured into pint glass

Color: Vibrant orange with golden notes at the core. No head or vi sable lacing is left on the glass. Little carbonation also.

Nose: Coriander, lemon zest and other citrus hit the nose with potency. Hints of grass and orange peel.

Palate: The tartness is the first thing your tongue gets. It is followed by a semi sweet orange and some light sourness from the lemon. This is light bodied beer and its soft and refreshing too.

Finish: Long and tart. goes down clean with waves of lemon zest and grassy notes, but not very complex. Lacks texture and a bit of presence at the back end.

4.23/5  rDev +12.8%

Starting with a light, thin pour, the immediate impression you get from this beer comes from one of its biggest highlights: the carbonation. A solid one-finger head quickly froths up, fluffy as a cupcake with an intense column of fizz bubbling underneath.

The smell's a telltale lightly sweet scent of yeast with just a hint of berry, bitter/tangy spice, and citrus zest.

Taking a drink, it's tart, almost like a green apple. This is quickly followed by the smooth wheat, finishing with the citric hit of lemon/lime. Not being a fan of sweet beers myself, this one tackles the idea with a tartness that can stand for bitterness. It has the quality of a fruity beer, particularly the light/refreshing factor, but it's not at all syrupy or sucrotic.

The big star here, though, is still the carbonation for me. It almost feels like a shandy, all on its own. With high acidity and a consistently tingly mouthfeel, this is a great summer brew, as well as a good spacer for those long sessions.

Overall - if it wasn’t for the yeasty tartness, I’d barely call it a weizen. I agree with those I’m finding that call it a wit, and more on the belgian side at that. Good for those that want a summer, lawnmower beer but don’t want to abandon the sour notes of bigger beers.

3.28/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It pours a nice, hazy orange-golden body with a small off-white head. Slightly yeasty nose with some banana and lemon, sweetness and a little bit of cloves. Almost syrupy sweet in the mouth, with some fruity sourness, cloves and banana. Strange, but quite nice, even though it’s far from the regular hefeweizen. Effervescent. Lemony, acidic finish. For a hefeweizen, it’s both very sweet and very sour.

3.89/5  rDev +3.7%

1pt 5oz bottle to Weizen Glass
Cool logo but no freshness date.

A: Pours straw yellow with a 3.5-finger bubbly white head. This quickly reduced to a small white crown in the first part of the session. Some yeasty haze and patchy lace initially.

S: Sweet and spicy phenolic character. Orange and lemon honey. A lot of what I expect to smell in a German Weizen..not a Japanese Weizen ha.

T: A lemony sweetness that was at times cloying. Wheaty with clove and hop spice on the finish.

M: A chewy beer that is well-carbed. Creamy and crisp finish that is semi-dry.

D: Low body but the sweetness could limit the session length...at least for me.

No banana character that traditionally have been present in a German Weissbier. A similar yeast character to the German style but different enough that you know its not from Germany. Not bad.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

I'd read some reviews here at B.A. and some newspaper articles about this beer before trying it so I think I was expecting too much. It delivered all of the expected characteristics of a weiss beer but nothing, in my view, that was out of the ordinary or special in any sense. A little clove/banana. A little cloudy. A little yeasty in the nose. Certainly a refreshing beer, more suited to summer rather than the cold winter day that I tried it. I'll probably have another go at it sometime in the future but my view at this time is that it's good but unexeptional.

4.09/5  rDev +9.1%

As with the White Ale, when I poured this, very large bits of sediment were on the bottom. Not bad, just odd. Beautiful head on this beer, stayed fluffy all the way down. Hazy orange-yellow color, off-white head. The smell is strong and wonderful as soon as I opened the bottle. It tastes much of yeast, but it is predominantly spicy. No fruit flavors are really strong enough to come through. Mainly cloves and yeast. An interesting brew. The head is still hanging around as I finish my last sips, but be careful of that sediment, I can imagine it would be very intense.

2.3/5  rDev -38.7%

OK, I had big hopes for this beer. I love their witbier and the large bottles kick ass. Maybe it sat on the shelves too long where I bought it. Maybe it's just not that good.

Straw colored with a big white head (sounds like a hefe weizen so far!). The head quickly disolved to leave room for my nose to detect some serious sourness. This is not your typical banana tasting hefe, rather I though it tasted more like a bad attempt at a tripel. Too much sourness and not much of the sweet refreshingness of most Hefes.

I would only buy again if I knew it was fresh and stored correctly. Not on a dusty shelf under neon lights off of RT 47 in NJ.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%

Goes down lighter than it looks. Very thick head at first which quickly dissipates. This beer is starting to be served at most sushi bars in Manhattan now. The only Japanese wheat beer i've ever had, and it wasn't bad. Nothing special about this beer but the expensive price,

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Hefeweizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold with a large, billowing ecru head. Very minimal lacing. Active carbonation.

Smell: Tangy citrus and green apple, with a musty, spicy aroma from the yeast

Taste: Very big on citrus. Pleasantly tart.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing and full, the carbonation comes to life as you sip the beer.

Overall: Big on flavor and very refreshing, this is a very enjoyable beer. However, it really isn't a Hefeweizen: it tastes and is built more like a Wit, and really can't get full marks for the style. I haven't been able to find their White Ale, but if it's similar to this one, I'll really enjoy drinking it.

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drank it from a tulip glass. I don't remember the specifics as I drank it yesterday afternoon. It had a very dry Japanese, Sapporo-esque dryness that I didn't prefer at first. After a few sips it really grew on me. An interesting Beer with a very light smell.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Picked this one up at the foodery as well in a small version bottle.

Poured fairly murky with a darker than most straw/rust, good head and fluffy lacing.

Sweetness came off the top rather strongly with a lot of fruity vibes. almost a phenol smell that one would expect off an IPA.

The taste was troubling at first because it was too intense for a weizen. It was almost sour upfront but the finish is unbelievable, very smooth and flavorful with a sort of hppy finish, cant explain.

As a fan of IPAs and weizen this feels like a cross. Not as smooth and subtle as the best weizen but this one sticks out. Like most Hitchinos I could buy more if they were a little cheaper.

Hitachino Nest Weizen from Kiuchi Brewery