Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew - Kiuchi Brewery

good

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 07-13-2005)
4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Fiery jack-o'-lantern orange with abundant (stationary) yeast and abundant (rising) bubbles. The beer is pretty impressive in that it looks like it contains its own light source. The head was huge and Belgian-like immediately after the pour and filled almost the entire glass. I'll ignore the fact that there's very little lace because this is one fantastic looking beer.

The nose smells like... wait for it... ginger. I happen to love ginger, so I like the nose just fine. The best part about it is that there's a pale malty sweetness underneath the spice. At least it smells like there is.

Real Ginger Ale is real fabulous beer. I don't need to check my reviews to know that this is the best ginger beer that I've ever had. I'm overjoyed that Kiuchi decided to brew what tastes and feels like a bigger beer rather than a light, refreshing one. I wouldn't want the bold, rich flavor to be scaled back one little bit.

I love the sugar cookie soaked in honey sweetness. It's obvious that there's a fantastic beer beneath the perfectly calibrated, freshly grated ginger. I can also appreciate a tart, apricot and peach fruitiness. The rear label says that Ginger Ale has an 'intriguing balance of ginger-spicy, sweet-malty and hoppy-dry' flavor. Other than the dry part, I couldn't agree more. This is a fascinating, multi-faceted and delightfully delicious ale.

I'm a sucker for lush, silky mouthfeels, so it's no great surprise that I love this one. Who knew that all those bubbles would expend most of their energy in head creation and that the mouthfeel would be so poised? Quality brewers brew beer with quality mouthfeels.

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Ale (along with Celebration Ale and White Ale) is the cream of the Kiuchi crop. One probably has to like ginger to like it, so it won't appeal to everyone. It sure as hell appeals to me though. I just wish I could remember where I bought the bottle since I'd love to lay my hands on a few more.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 10, 2006

RHB33, Jul 30, 2014

Tom_Servo, Jul 29, 2014

Rocketman2013, Jul 28, 2014
3.54/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from a 720 ml. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. Dark amber in color with a ½ off white head. Spotty lacing that disappears quickly.

Smell: Make no mistake; the ginger aroma is prominent and distinct. An aggressive swirl of the glass brings out even more of the ginger aroma, followed by a hint of sweet candy-like booziness. Not the same ginger ale smell from a soda, as this was sweeter and spicier with a citrus undertone.

Taste: Exactly as I thought it was be. Ginger, ginger, ginger all the way through with the same hint of sweet booziness at the finish. I catch a glimpse of nutmeg and all-spice with each sip. Dessert-like sweetness is prominent.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and slick, with a mildly bitter and warming finish. There is no doubt this beer dabbles in the 8% ABV range.

Overall: You have to love ginger to truly appreciate this beer. I happen to be a big fan of ginger, which is why I enjoyed this beer so much. It gets better as it warmed. If you like ginger then give it a try. This is my first beer from Kiuchi Brewery. I’m looking forward to trying more of them. Enjoy…

cmq103, Jul 27, 2014