Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew - Kiuchi Brewery

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 07-13-2005

4.69/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The folks at Save On (carry out) had not tried this one but the brewery came highly recommended. It was a nice risk and a great treat - not a novelty.

The taste is not nearly the overly ginger brew I thought it might be. It is a well balanced (beer? ale?) with some spice, but not a bunch of different ones.

It looks quite good in the glass - a partly cloudy light brown. The aroma is fantastic. Beautiful beer, a little hops, and ginger. The aftertaste is very pleasant.

I really enjoyed this. I wish it weren't so expensive.

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a smooth mug.

Appearance: It has a dark amber brown body with orange highlights. On top sits tall foamy off white head with very good retention and makes good lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma has heavy hit of ginger in sweet fruity and bready malt with some funky yeast and spices.

Taste/Mouth Feel: The flavor is true to its aroma. It has a solid medium body with a strong spicy ginger presence with a touch of allspice. This is layered over a sweet bready and fruity malt with a note of apple juice, citrus and a touch of funky yeast. The spice and mild alcohol presence warms the palate and the finish shows a light touch of hops. The texture is slick and lively with nice active carbonation.

Notes: Overall this beer is very interesting with many layers of complexity. This is not a beer you can drink a lot of but I did enjoy it and would highly recommend this beer to someone who is looking for something different maybe odd and defiantly special.

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

Purchased from Key Food for $3.99. This is pretty pricey but I have wanted to try it for awhile as i love ginger.

A-Pours a very cloudy brownish red with a light brown/off white pillowy head. This dissipates a bit quickly and leaves a thin wisp of a cap. the lacing though is very impressive as it almost completely clings to the side of the glass.

S-A lovely ginger dominates the nose but is not in any way overpowering. Slilght sweet malt as well. The ginger is more like a carribean ginger beer rather than canada dry.

T-Ginger hits you at first followed up by a sweet roasted/toasted malt. There is a lsight ginger burn at the end, like a mild version of ginger beer. There is also a great interplay of hops throughout which brings everything into a perfect balance. There is also a nice yeast in here as well which provides a bit of red apple in there as well. This is a lovely beer. The balance between the sweet malt, ginger and hops is damned near perfect.

M-Creamy, slightly chewy with a nice mild carbonation. The ginger also provides a nice zing at the end which works perfectly with the mouthfeel. Really great body.

D-I have had other Hitachino prodcuts and defnitely was underwhelmed. They seem to be a bit overrated to me. However with this one, they really knocked it out of the park. While this maybe pricey, it will be an occasional treat in my fridge. i would love to have this on cask if it were available. Highly recommended to anyone who likes ginger.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

A-Beer came in a squat brown bottle whose label was completely different than the image displayed on BA; nevertheless, this is it.
I poured it into a fluted glass - it poured an opaque ruby-brown with a dense tan head
S-Smell is surprisingly sour - raisins and cranberries and a little apple. Also yeasty. Smells delightfully like a belgian gueze or flemish red, which is wierd because I was expecting a sharp ginger scent, not just that of pickled ginger. (i know i'm going to get totally hazed for using the word delightful, but I don't care - I love it!)
T- Tastes very sour - like a combination of cider, flemish red ale, and a belgian lambic. Lots of sour cherry and apple jumping out at you. Carbonation is very sharp on the tip of the tongue, and that sour apple taste lingers on the back. I really like this.
M- Light; leaves a bit of the bitter/sourness with you, but it's appley and nice.
D- Great - I could have a few of these pricey - Very surprised by this in a good way

This beer definitely seems to be more of a fruit beer than a ginger beer, so I'm not sure how true to it's "style" it is. Nevertheless I'm a huge fan. If it weren't for the high price point, I might be tempted to always keep a few of these on hand!
This is my second beer from this producer and I haven't been disappointed yet - only surprised in both cases.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a cloudy, fresh apple cider brown, with a one finger off-white head that receded to a nice ring of lacing. Very good looking. Scents of overripe fruit, earthy, musty and funky aromas, ginger, and some faint honey and malt sweetness. A very nice, earthy, fruity and sweet aroma with some unexpected funk. Far more complex than I was expecting, very nice. Flavor begins with sweet malt and caramel, moves into some white grape, raisin and dried fruit, apricot and apricot pit with some slight spiciness, some earthy and musty yeast flavors, coming out on the finish and aftertaste, slight sour funkiness and some slight hints of ginger in the background in the middle, finish and aftertaste. Very good, the ginger is not as big in the flavor as I expected, but it has a good, Belgian quality to the flavor, with some wild notes and the spiciness, malty sweetness, stone fruit and dried fruit flavors of tripels and quads. Quite unique and very good. The flavor hides the 8% ABV entirely. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied, with moderate carbonation that barely pricks the tongue, yet enough to give the beer a sipping quality. There is also a slight creaminess in the feel. Very nice to drink and swish, excellently crafted. Overall this is an amazing beer. I went in expecting a ginger heavy gimmick, but got a good, Belgian-like beer with a surprising complexity in aroma and flavor, with just a bit of ginger. Its a well crafted beer, showing the brewer's care for the final product. Highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

appearance: pours a cloudy, reddish-brown copper, moderately carbonated with a moderate amount of flakey sediment suspended throughout; head is off-white and foamy, dissipating into a light ring of lacing.

smell: pleasantly and equally balanced in hops, yeast, and ginger, while obvious that each individually would stimulate the smell, collectively the effect yields the nose of a cross between a Belgian and a spiced harvest ale.

taste: begins dry and yeasty, but seamlessly progresses with floral hop notes complemented by an essence of ginger, finishing similar to the start, with a notable ginger taste in the lingering.

mouthfeel: above-average body, hops help to give a syrupy-like sensation.

overall: unique infusion of ingredients, well complemented, very drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Besides being delicious, this beer also has some of the coolest packaging, although the not as cool as the label shown on the profile.

A – Copper-amber with a fizzy soda head.

S – Shockingly complex, and not overwhelmingly gingery; it is more akin to a Geuze or Belgian Pale / Sour. Apples, straw and Band-Aids are in the nose.

T – Awesome taste, tart, much like the nose with the addition of a ginger zest that attaches to and transforms the Band-Aid smell into a delicious flavor. The fruitiness is there too, but it is mostly in vague impressions of sour light fruits: white grape, apple, pear and peach. Very complex overall.

M – Dry Champagne-like finish, light bodied, although it has too little carbonation.

D – This is a ridiculously good beer. I think if it were brewed by monks in Belgium it would probably be exalted.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a nice, frothy head. Color is a clouded darker amber.

Smell is a bit spicy, although from a ginger beer, I'm not really sure what to expect.

First sip is a bit more citrus-like than I expected it would be. In terms of mouthfeel, I would agree that it's pretty rewarding. Overall flavor and consistency mirror that of some beers made with wild yeasts. And as those are some of my favorite, I would contest that this might end up on the top of your list.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours out a slightly hazed copper body with some slow moving bubbles and a thinnish head that manages to maintain itself. Smells of some soft bready and caramel malts with a fresh ginger crispness that is rather strong yet melds well with everything. Flavor starts off with a touch of sweetness and maltiness that I would best describe as a mix between breadiness and crackeriness. The bright ginger introduces itself in the middle. The finish is very dry with a touch of bitterness and a lovely lingering ginger spiciness. Mouthfeel is one of the creamiest I've come across in a long while. Moderate in weight. Really drinkable. I could drink this all night. This went amazingly well with a cracked black pepper encrusted goat cheese.

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

I've been searching for a great, ginger-flavored beer, and I think I might have found it.

Poured from a bottle into a sour glass.

A - Brick red color, with substantial khaki head, 2-3 fingers. Leaving a lovely, thick lacing.

S - The ginger is pretty bold already, but mostly just a malt profile. Nothing outstanding, just clean.

T - As it should, the crisp, clean taste of ginger just rolls onto the tongue. Backed by a honey and caramel malt profile, the ginger tugs at the tip of your tongue, and passes into a dry finish. There's a bit of a citrusy flavor, but it's very mellow. just enough to compliment the ginger, not overwhelm it.

M - Moderately light and bubbly, with a bit of weight in the end. Carbonation is pretty high, but the malts are definitely present. Finish is both dry and sweet, making for an interesting aftertaste. The ginger remains with you, making your whole mouth tingle.

O - Really happy with this beer! A perfect tribute to TRUE ginger flavor while still having some backbone and character. I hope I can find a US brewery that can rival, cause $6 for a 12 oz bottle is pretty steep for this style of beer.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky copper with a few fine trails of carbonation rising through the middle. A small oatmeal colored head forms, but doesn't hold out very long. Smells like a malty pale ale, but with a dash of ginger. Actually it reminds me of spiced pumpkin smell for some reason. Solid, caramel maltyness holds up against the modest ginger. The finish is only slightly bitter, and there's a mild bite to the ginger. The hops are hard to pick out, but I think there's some piney hops in the mix. Almost chewy body does well to carry the sweet flavors and keep the ginger in check. Wow, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm impressed. Not as hot as I thought it would be, but that is good. Well balanced, flavorful, and I'm a ginger fan so I could drink a few of these.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%

Had this one on-tap at Spuyten Duyvil. Damn, Joe has some esoteric beers ! Booya!

The beer poured a strange, almost pink? color that resembled pickled ginger. Wow! Not really sharp pink, but it definitely had some pink hues to it. Also, poured with a nice, pillowy 1.5" head on top. Nice.

The aroma was of spicy hops, ginger, and lemons. Very nice...

The taste was very well-balanced... not too assertively hopped, but much contribution from the ginger in the way of spiciness. You don't get much of the ginger until the end, where it leaves a tingling on the tongue.

The body was medium, and the carbonation was full. This seemed to also work well with the ginger... sort of a digestif.

Overall, a very drinkable brew. I definitely recommend this one.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a rich mahogany with a finger of white head that leaves some lace spots on the glass. Ginger cookie nose has an awesome gingersnap aspect that begs to be drank. Some sweet malts and alcohol in behind. Great candied ginger flavour, which combines with the alcohol to give a wonderful peppery, warming feel. This all plays off a strong sweet, bready background. Medium body feels bulkier than it is because of a pillowy carbonation.

Japanese beer provides me with happy memories of vacations past, and its easy for me to look at them with rose-tinted glasses, but I believe this is the real deal. An ode to one of the world's greatest tuberous roots.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

i'm a fan of hazy, murky, muddy looking beers. this one was all that. nice and muddy. like swamp water. reddish brown with dark pumpkin colored feet. almost seemed to glow. maybe it was like magic radioactive voodoo swamp water. big, thick, light tan head that held really well. only reason i don't give it a 5 is because there was barely any lace left behind. nose was great, but not as powerful as i was hoping for. sweet caramel malt was the first thing i noticed. sweet, spicy caramel malt as a matter of fact. ginger was the highlight, but the hops and yeast also added another faint dimension. to me, it tasted wonderful. ginger came out more and more as it warmed. taste was almost like liquid candied ginger for adults. well balanced with a long lasting gingery finish in the bottom of my throat. a pleasant warming caused by the ginger was a cool change of pace from a hop or alcohol type burn. the sweet malt really was the perfect vehicle to ride that ginger down as well. soft, silky and medium full bodied. easy and fun to drink and enjoy the complexities, but not something i'd want all day everyday. best ginger ale (w/alcohol) i've ever had.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

Fiery jack-o'-lantern orange with abundant (stationary) yeast and abundant (rising) bubbles. The beer is pretty impressive in that it looks like it contains its own light source. The head was huge and Belgian-like immediately after the pour and filled almost the entire glass. I'll ignore the fact that there's very little lace because this is one fantastic looking beer.

The nose smells like... wait for it... ginger. I happen to love ginger, so I like the nose just fine. The best part about it is that there's a pale malty sweetness underneath the spice. At least it smells like there is.

Real Ginger Ale is real fabulous beer. I don't need to check my reviews to know that this is the best ginger beer that I've ever had. I'm overjoyed that Kiuchi decided to brew what tastes and feels like a bigger beer rather than a light, refreshing one. I wouldn't want the bold, rich flavor to be scaled back one little bit.

I love the sugar cookie soaked in honey sweetness. It's obvious that there's a fantastic beer beneath the perfectly calibrated, freshly grated ginger. I can also appreciate a tart, apricot and peach fruitiness. The rear label says that Ginger Ale has an 'intriguing balance of ginger-spicy, sweet-malty and hoppy-dry' flavor. Other than the dry part, I couldn't agree more. This is a fascinating, multi-faceted and delightfully delicious ale.

I'm a sucker for lush, silky mouthfeels, so it's no great surprise that I love this one. Who knew that all those bubbles would expend most of their energy in head creation and that the mouthfeel would be so poised? Quality brewers brew beer with quality mouthfeels.

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Ale (along with Celebration Ale and White Ale) is the cream of the Kiuchi crop. One probably has to like ginger to like it, so it won't appeal to everyone. It sure as hell appeals to me though. I just wish I could remember where I bought the bottle since I'd love to lay my hands on a few more.

4.27/5  rDev +17%

I tried this at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. 330ml brown bottle for $5. No freshness date, but the owl is cool.

The beer poured out a hazed copper color with a nice 1½-finger fluffy white head that lasted a few minutes before receding to just a rim. Moderate lacing.

The ginger smell is definitely there along with a significant amout of sweet malts.

Sweet, spicy, and delicious. Seems like there's more than just one kind of malt in here. I'm getting caramel, brown sugar, and even a kiss of honey. The ginger adds spiciness, and in my opinion they added just the right amount to make this a really tasty brew. Low bitterness, but enough hops to cut into the sweetness. This is good stuff.

Creamy smooth mouthfeel, yet light and refreshing despite the low carbonation.

This may be the best ginger beer on the market.

4.27/5  rDev +17%

Strong ginger aroma. A little bit of malt underneath it but mostly ginger. I like ginger a lot so that might skew my opinion.

Color is reddish, almost brown. Thin tan head but it has staying power and is fed by good rising carbonation on the sides of the glass.

Big malty flavor along the lines of a winter warmer with lots of caramel and crystal malt flavors. The ginger is a strong component of the flavor but isn't dominant. The ginger is more in the aftertaste. I get brown sugar flavors and a lot of fruity ale character. I'm really digging this.

Full bodied and extremely creamy going down. Just a little bit of alcohol warmth in the stomach.

I really like this but it's a subjective thing with a lot of spice ales. I can see how people would think this is spicy and nasty but I really enjoy this beer.

4.26/5  rDev +16.7%

I love Hitachino Nest. There's just something different about their brews. Poured this into a chilled Hitachino Nest Beer glass.

A: Very foggy orange in color. Pours with a huge 4-5 finger thick head. Perfect lacing. Looks amazing.

S: Tangy, ginger, sweet fruits, allspice, caramel, a little wood.

T: Fast, strong floral hops, light citrus that quickly fades into a strong ginger character. Light bitter back, but nothing unpleasant here at all.

M: Dry, smooth and creamy, fluffy carbonation.

O: Kiuchi is by far my favorite brewery. Even though I didn't think I'd care much for a "ginger" beer, once again the Hitachino Nest series pulls through and puts forth a winner. Absolutely great.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Hazy, caramely-bronze coloration, dull yellow at the bottom...large head, puffy white, lace leaving, quite attractive.

Aroma: sweet, spicy, tangy ginger, and nothing but...but, I like that! It's all over the nose, and it's invigorating and inviting. Nicey, nice.

Let's taste it...big presence in the malt, full flavor, big malt, and delicious ginger flavor. Dang it, I like it. Zingy, zesty, spicy...oh, so tasty.

Full bodied, with a long, delicious finish...ginger lingers on the palate.

Yum, I like. If you hate ginger, you won't. But then, who can resist the smiling ginger root mascot on the label?

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Ginger is a sweet, tangy, heaty, spicy and potent root. So what is it doing in a beer? The better question is why not put it in a beer? Exactly. Why not, thats the beauty of craft beer. We can design and brew practically anything we want with anything we want! Hitachino Nest, an award winning brewery from Japan has created a Real Ginger Beer for the Japanese and North American Market.

This beer starts off in the usual manner brewed with marris otter, munich, crystal and chocolate malt. Hops added are chinook, perle, and styrian golding. But then raw ginger is added into the mix adding rich aromas and flavor to a beer that ends up at 7% abv with just 18 IBUs. I have had a few ginger beers before, and most of them have been light, pale yellow beers with very little character and a somewhat forced ginger flavor that does not meld well with the beer, or enhance its flavors. But I can tell you now that this ginger ale made it all the way over here from Japan for good reason.

The Ginger Brew comes in a short 33oml bottle and is available at the LCBO and much of the United States. I wans't quite sure at what temperature to serve this beer at, but at 7% I knew it wasn't going to be just another light and fizzy ginger beer. I have also had other beers from Hitachino Nest before, so I had faith in the craftsmanship.

I opened it up cool around 8C (45F) and poured it into a tulip glass. The pour was smooth and clean with a slight oil like consistency. It build a gorgeous deep amber brown beer with rich copper reds and golden shades of brunt orange and brown sugar glowing out from it. A sturdy and densely packed one and half inch head build up an egg shell, creamy white foam with a frothy cap. A slight haze and deep rich color prevented much light from getting though proving a richly focused beer. This was really a striking beer that so far and had me very excited.

The nose was warming and malty sweet with a perfect blend of rich caramel and brown sugar malts and the distinct smooth heat of ginger. Warming spices come in off the back end of the beer and hints at herbs, soft fruits, and a touch of yeast. Whats most prominent is the melted caramel scent that has been invigorated by the power of the ginger, and the blend is just perfect.

Like the nose, the taste is perfectly paired. Warm malts wash smoothly over your palate with an oil like creaminess and a big round mouthfeel. The malt is widely complex and shows flavors of fresh grains, brown sugar, dark toffee and consistently a heat and spice from sweet ginger. Go grab some ginger, and peel off the skin with a spoon, then just smell the oils that are present in the raw golden white and yellow flesh. That is the fresh, mellow sweet, slightly spicy, and warming sensation that the ginger contributes to this beer.

Rather than trying to go it on its own, the ginger is worked masterfully into the deep flavors of this beer and has actually created a remarkable brew. Hop flavors are restrained but do add some herbal and floral aromas, and the touch of bitter balanced out sweet malts and a honey like sugar. Biscuit and slightly tart dried fruits make their way in the back of this beer as well adding further layers of flavor and depth.

Thats the key to this beer. It is not a one sided ginger beer - it has depth and complexity showing ginger essence on every level. The mouthfeel fits the beer perfectly too with a light carbonation but overall a creamy smooth, and lightly thick texture that coats your palate and sooths your tongue. A touch of earthy dry hops help the beer quench rather than stick, finishing off with hints of spice, heat and sweet ginger.

This was very well done, and is easily the best ginger beer I have ever had. I will be very excited to try it with Asian dishes made with ginger, but also burgers, steak, roast beef, and sharp cheeses will work fabulously with this fascinating and enjoyable beer.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured this into a Stella goblet. Lot of carbonation, very persistent head indeed. The beer has the color of a penny, and has good clarity.

Ginger....wow, I now realize that I've smelled this in many other beers, mostly Belgians, and never identified it as such. Also has a root/birch beer aroma. I like it.

Wow! This is not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting a plain golden ale as the base beer, with some ginger flavoring. Although I guess I should have known better considering the other very interesting beers I've had from this brewer. It's malty, with a little hop kiss. Spicy ginger integrated throughout...and Brett? There's a rustic, leathery, earthy, woody flavor going on in here that makes me think Brett. Complexities abound in this mostly dry beer, giving me *a lot more* to think about than I expected. Quite good.

Spiky mouthfeel, but not too much of a carbonic bite.

Not the simplistic beer I thought it could be, this will demand a bit of your time and attention. Overall, I really like this. Why am I always surprised that I like a Hitachino Nest beer? I should know better by now.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

This is an amazing beer. I was surprised from the start, as a big foamy head greeted me before I could even start pouring. Once poured, the head stays bubbly and lacy. The body of the beer is a rusty orange color, and you can see big chunks of sediment resting on the bottom. The smell is unsurprisingly of ginger, with some citrusy notes that actually remind me of a weizen or Belgian blonde. The taste is where things really get interesting. The ginger is predominant, but acidic, sweet, fruity malts and hops follow after. Again, I'm amazed how much this tastes like other styles: lambics, bdsas, weizens, and wittes are all represented. The mouthfeel is smooth and effortless, which is good because there's a lot of flavor to process. If you had handed me a glass of this stuff without telling me where it came from, I would have immediately guessed that it was Belgian or a north-eastern American micro. I'm absolutely floored that it came from Japan (aka Beer Hell), and I can't wait to go back and try another brew from Hitachino.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Hitachino Ginger Brew pours an orange-amber color with a medium-dense head. The head quickly dissipated, with no lacing (although I suspect there may have been some soap on the inside of the glass). Initial note of ginger predominates and lasts throughout the drinking. Tastes initially of ginger, with a malt undertone, and finishes with a nice ginger-malt combination. Mouthfeel is nice, light to medium. Overall a refreshing summer beer, with a very good drinkability. My only qualm was a weird aftertaste at the bottom of the glass, but I suspect that there was some soap residue (which also may have caused the head to disappear so fast).

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Smells like medicine ginger. They make that, right? Cus my mom always said that when my stummy starts aching, like from a flu, it's good to drink a glass of Vernors. This is like that, only instead of sugar backing up the ginger spice you get, like, a rootiness.

It's like black licorice only without the sugar.

Only this ginger instead of anis/licorice flavor , so that's not a good literal paralell, but the affect is very much the same. It's like an old timey flavor that you're used to having sugared up--all processed and corn-syrupy--only this hits you without any sugaring.

And yet it's still a beer. Rice and thick, bitter barley dominate the back end, along with zippy yeast and pleasant alcohol burn. This is maybe a bit too thick, seeing as the opening end is more like a nice old timey cough drop.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

What a surprise! Used as I am to generic and flaccid ginger brews, I was not expecting much... but imagine my surprise to find a ginger brew that actually tastes like fresh ginger!

The highlight of this beer is that there is a great spicy ginger core on the nose and especially on the palate. There is a lot of other flavor coming through and it definitely proves that it is a beer of quality, even if the ginger were not present.

Overall a great beer and one of the best ginger brews that I have tasted. (Though if you want that sweet, candied ginger character this is NOT the beer for you! This tastes like the ginger you get at sushi restaurants. YUM!)

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew from Kiuchi Brewery