Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew - Kiuchi Brewery

good

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 07-13-2005)
1.5/5  rDev -58.4%

1.68/5  rDev -53.5%

1.83/5  rDev -49.3%

330ml bottle poured into a mug.

A - Poured a cloudy copper with a 1cm creamy head that quickly reduced to a thin bubbly cap.

S - Sweet malts, ginger and savoury herbs. It's interesting and different. Not what I was expecting but it wasn't offensive.

T - Sweet, spicy, gingery, a bit salty and an unpleasant bitter finish. Similar to the aroma but it didn't taste too good.

M - Flat, bland & rustic. It could use more carbonation.

D - I love ginger. I love cooking with it. I love eating it. I love drinking it. Just really not loving drinking this one. Halfway through the drink down the drain it went.

1.95/5  rDev -46%

Very cloudy apple-cider brown with plenty of sediment floaters. Nicely fluffy buttery head. Decent retention with good stick.

Smells sweet and gingery. Almost like a Canada Dry. If I was blindfolded and someone held this under my nose, I'm not sure I would be able to tell that it's beer.

Flavor isn't quite so dominated. A good rounded malt presence is there, and even a little hops that show up in the finish with a mild bitterness, but mostly sweet sugary ginger and fruit (maybe apricot). Not sure I'm digging this, but it is interesting.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Medium body.

I want to give this beer a better grade for the effort, but the fact of the matter is that I had trouble finishing it. It's just too damn sweet. I'm glad for having tried it, but wouldn't buy it again.

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours a nice dark red color with a one-finger head into my fluted glass. Not sure what to expect for color but it's good looking.

Aroma is sweet with a hint of mild spice, possibly ginger in the nose. Too hard to tell by aroma. Need to taste it.

Taste is both sweet and and a bit spicy to a point where it's nearly overwhelming, possibly cloying. Has a feel reminiscent of soy sauce.

Mouthfeel is full of a mix of ginger and soy sauce. Still quite cloying. Undesirable taste. Dry and tangy at the back of the throat.

Avoid. It tries but certainly fails.

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%

The beer poured very nice and looked great. The brownish orange opaque color was thick and was perfectly complemented with a chunky looking head. It was pretty and it looked delicious.

However, I was extremely grossed out by the smell. The earthy aromas and unknown spices tingled my nose. Additionally, although I can't specify by name, I could smell scents that I could find only in an Asian supermarket. Forget about the ginger smell, I couldn't bare trying to look for it.

It tasted slightly dirty with a mix of ginger and apricots. With all the other weird earthy tones, my guess is that this is what a bird's nest tasted like. On a positive note, the mouth feel was creamy and thick, just as it looked.

I had to chug the rest of this down just for the sake of finishing it, but found that to be a regrettable move; just...disgusting.

I really tried to be open-minded with this one. Oh well, at least now I know this is not my kind of beer.

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%

wowee.
so, i've rather enjoyed every other hitachino product i've sampled in the past. every single one. this, unfortunately, is the exception.
i've been on a bit of a ginger kick recently, thanks to a lingering cold from a month or so back. so when i saw this at QFC, i figured i'd give it a shot.
poured into a troubadour chalice with a blossoming orangey head. i had to slurp it down because the foam rose up like a mushroom cloud.
the smell was unidentifiably spicy and earthy. i suppose i could smell ginger.
first sip was very gingery. then all i could taste was sweet vermouth. that flavor got stronger the more the beer warmed. all i could think was that i was drinking a huge glass of sweet vermouth. herbs and spices and faint sweetness with a puckering bitterness in the finish. not my thing, exactly. i guess if you like sweet vermouth - i mean REALLY like sweet vermouth - , you'll dig this.

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

Was expecting much much more from this one. The aroma was of sugars and syrup. Just a bit too sweet for me as far as a beer goes. Great color and nice head, which settled down so a nice thin ring around the surface. I can't think of anything to pair with it, so it'll probably be a drain pour. Will think about trying this one again if I know it's a fresher batch (which may not be for a while), the shop I purchased this from often has outdated brews on the shelves.

eyes...
head retreats quickly, forms an o-ring with an island in the middle, lacing is very spotty, murky brown/orange hue. nothing special.

nose...
ginger and spice, sweetness (almost too much). while interesting this isn't that appetizing to me, some caramel tones can be found as well

taste etc...
the ginger is so overpowering I almost lurched on the first sip, jarring, it tastes like flat soda, the sickly sweet/ginger flavor is pretty hard to take. It is semi-light in the mouth in terms of pallet presence. This is WAY too sweet for me....

verdict?
I couldn't finish this one... it really goes against me.

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

11.2oz brown glass pry-top bottle. G.09.12 printed on the label.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber with some golden hues around the rim. Almost no head.

Nose: Just ginger. Ginger and more ginger. Period.

Palate: Crisp with lots of spicy ginger surprising enough. Somewhat floral and earthy. Simple.

Notes: Meh. Ginger beer. Wish it was carbonated...

2.38/5  rDev -34.1%

11.2oz bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a hazy amber tone; about a finger of white head with mediocre retention, lacing.

who woulda thunk it: ginger leads the way in the nose... notes of caramel malts and a bit of spice, yeast round out the aroma. an intruiging (in a good way) smelling brew.

taste takes a step back. two steps, maybe three. the ginger pulls through, of course, along with some caramel malt, but i find the beer to be overly sweet, almost cloyingly so, with an accompanying tartness that IMO just doesn't jibe with the flavor profile. a bitter, pucker-inducing finish. not a drainpour, but a disappointment. somewhat creamy, medium-bodied mouthfeel.

while i'd be open to sampling other offerings from the brewery, this particular beer just isn't for me. i may have to retract my earlier drainpour comment.

original review on: 09-21-2010

2.48/5  rDev -31.3%

11.2oz bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

taste takes a step back. two steps. maybe three. the ginger pulls through, of course, but i find the beer to be overly sweet, almost cloyingly so, with an accompanying tartness that IMO just doesn't jibe with the flavor profile. a bitter, pucker-inducing finish. not a drain pour, but a bit of a disappointment.

somewhat creamy, medium-bodied mouthfeel. obviously i'm not going to find this one very drinkable. i'd be open to sampling other offerings from the brewery, but this particular beer just isn't for me.

2.48/5  rDev -31.3%

OMG what a funky tasting beer!
Seriously when they say Nest beer they mean it.
I tasted what only can be described as NEST flavor not ginger.
Imagine straw mixed with owl spit and shit and you have the idea.
They say ginger, but this wasn't ginger, it was OWL. LOL

The smell honestly smelled like an Asian market. So overwhelming. Each time I dove in for a sip I had to smell it over and over again.

That beer haunts my tongue an my nose.

But, here's the deal, I could tell that it was a well crafted beer. Behind all the OWL there was a good beer in there. This beer is very pretty. Nice head that sticks for the entire beer and the color is inspiring. Not to mention the mouth feel. It just felt right; nice and viscous. Imagine the mouth feel on a 90 minute and you have the idea. Malty backbone too.

I've had another beer from them and I don't doubt that they are a decent brewery, but WOW that was toooo much!

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%

well aged bottle.

looks striking amber with haze and an off white head forming. really strong carbonation even off of the age.

punch in the nose with ginger and some sweetness.

strong ginger ale likeness over powers any ale in the beer. it tastes like boiled down vernons with carbonation.

i can't get over the "syrup" i get in the nose and on the tongue.

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew from Kiuchi Brewery