Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew - Kiuchi Brewery

good

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 07-13-2005)
4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Fiery jack-o'-lantern orange with abundant (stationary) yeast and abundant (rising) bubbles. The beer is pretty impressive in that it looks like it contains its own light source. The head was huge and Belgian-like immediately after the pour and filled almost the entire glass. I'll ignore the fact that there's very little lace because this is one fantastic looking beer.

The nose smells like... wait for it... ginger. I happen to love ginger, so I like the nose just fine. The best part about it is that there's a pale malty sweetness underneath the spice. At least it smells like there is.

Real Ginger Ale is real fabulous beer. I don't need to check my reviews to know that this is the best ginger beer that I've ever had. I'm overjoyed that Kiuchi decided to brew what tastes and feels like a bigger beer rather than a light, refreshing one. I wouldn't want the bold, rich flavor to be scaled back one little bit.

I love the sugar cookie soaked in honey sweetness. It's obvious that there's a fantastic beer beneath the perfectly calibrated, freshly grated ginger. I can also appreciate a tart, apricot and peach fruitiness. The rear label says that Ginger Ale has an 'intriguing balance of ginger-spicy, sweet-malty and hoppy-dry' flavor. Other than the dry part, I couldn't agree more. This is a fascinating, multi-faceted and delightfully delicious ale.

I'm a sucker for lush, silky mouthfeels, so it's no great surprise that I love this one. Who knew that all those bubbles would expend most of their energy in head creation and that the mouthfeel would be so poised? Quality brewers brew beer with quality mouthfeels.

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Ale (along with Celebration Ale and White Ale) is the cream of the Kiuchi crop. One probably has to like ginger to like it, so it won't appeal to everyone. It sure as hell appeals to me though. I just wish I could remember where I bought the bottle since I'd love to lay my hands on a few more.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 10, 2006

Gasc0igne, Oct 27, 2014

Captain_Komamura, Oct 09, 2014

DaftPatrick, Oct 05, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Served at room temp, it's a clear copper colour with a 2 finger head of foam.

Ginger and honey in the nose. There's another spice here, I reckon it's nutmeg. Nice aromas going on.

Ginger first, honey sweet flavours second, nutmeg brings up the rear. Sight hop bitterness here but that isn't really needed for me to like this brew.

Smooth smooth mouthfeel. Very creamy. Oh and the foam is long lasting and there's awesome lacing.

In plain words, this is very good.

Bitterbill, Oct 04, 2014