Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew - Kiuchi Brewery

good

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 07-13-2005)
3.63/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a spicy, fresh ginger aroma that blends well with the pale and crystal malt scent. The taste is average. It has a thick, malty flavor that goes down slow and finishes sweet with a spicy, ginger character. There is a mild tartness in there as well. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a full bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is decent ginger brew. It's quite prevelant in the aroma and the taste. A good example of the style. I'm just not sure that I like the style that much.

WesWes, Jun 21, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

A 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass. This beer pours a cloudy amber/orange/copper color. The slightly tan, off-white head was about an inch thick when poured. Settles to a nice surface coating and a thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Nice lacing. Has a malty, yeasty aromas along with ginger, clove, and a bit of citrus and maybe a hint of coriander too. Has a sweet rich caramel malt flavor along with strong hints of ginger, clove, and I also detect a bit of banana and maybe a slight touch of a dark fruit such as raisin, apple, or plum. Rounded out with a hint of citrus hops. Has a crisp but also very frothy and creamy, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink. Pretty good, but not something I think I'd go out of my way to drink all the time.

Eric

neenerzig, May 14, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -11%

pours a brown with an orange tint and lots of sediment, small light beige head that goes away quickly, and some lacing.

smell is of ginger, spice, orange peel, and a few hops.

taste is tangy, lots of ginger, tangerine, tart on the tongue, and some hops, ends a little bitter and tart.

froghop, May 09, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Cloudy, deep reddish-brown color with 1/4" pillowy-soft head. Nice retention and lots of lacing. Attractive pour.

Nicely balanced ginger aroma, with cirtus and light malts.

Lots of ginger, some orange fruit, black-pepper. and allspice. There does seem to be a slightly unpleasant medicinal bitterness. The ginger provides a nice slow warm-up in the back of your throat. Alcohol is tempered well. Carbonation is moderate-high, and feels right for this style.

The ginger and spice are crisp and refreshing. But, it is hard to ignore the bitterness that seems a little unablanced, and at times, overpowering.

DigitalHype, Apr 18, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

A - Label has a red owl. Quite nice looking brew with a huge foamy cap that has a yellow-orange color to it; no lacing. The beer is a cloudy, stained amber/oak look.

S - Candies ginger, similar to ginger ale - but with alcohol. :)

T - Has an odd sour thing going on; obvious ginger and not as sweet as the smell implies. Slight medicinal quality . . . band aid?

M - Nice carbonation and quite creamy and refreshing.

D - I don't know if this is really something to be consumed all that often, but it's worth a shot. It's probably food friendly.

pinotboy007, Apr 03, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -30.3%

well aged bottle.

looks striking amber with haze and an off white head forming. really strong carbonation even off of the age.

punch in the nose with ginger and some sweetness.

strong ginger ale likeness over powers any ale in the beer. it tastes like boiled down vernons with carbonation.

i can't get over the "syrup" i get in the nose and on the tongue.

skrib09, Mar 26, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Light reddish brown color, semi-cloudy, thin white head that faded slowly, tiny bit of sediment floating throughout

S- Ginger, candy sugar, sweet, malty, light fruity auroma

T- Mostly ginger, toasted malts, herbal, light spiciness, fairly sweet

M- Light/medium body, medium carbonation, simple, crisp, oily finish

D- Worth trying

This brew has a bit too much ginger flavor in my opinion (and I really like ginger). It's also a bit too sweet for my taste. I just wish it was slightly more complex with other flavors.

iceball585, Mar 24, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy consistency. Lots of sediment floating around. Had a fairly large, creamy, long-lasting head and average lacing.

S: The aroma of ginger is evident the second you pop open the bottle. This is mixed with malt and a sweet, almost fruity smell.

T: The ginger wasn't as dominant as I thought it would be, but was still very evident. Combined with malt and maybe some citrus, this beer has a sharp flavor.

M: A lively amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. Light- medium-bodied.

D: This is an interesting brew, but not one I'd come back to time and again. Still, like most Hitachino products, it's a well made beer.

avalon07, Mar 23, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -46.3%

Very cloudy apple-cider brown with plenty of sediment floaters. Nicely fluffy buttery head. Decent retention with good stick.

Smells sweet and gingery. Almost like a Canada Dry. If I was blindfolded and someone held this under my nose, I'm not sure I would be able to tell that it's beer.

Flavor isn't quite so dominated. A good rounded malt presence is there, and even a little hops that show up in the finish with a mild bitterness, but mostly sweet sugary ginger and fruit (maybe apricot). Not sure I'm digging this, but it is interesting.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Medium body.

I want to give this beer a better grade for the effort, but the fact of the matter is that I had trouble finishing it. It's just too damn sweet. I'm glad for having tried it, but wouldn't buy it again.

Hoagie1973, Feb 25, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

330ml brown owl bottle into S. Smith pint glass.

A - pours a cloudy burnt orange, with a bunch of particles in the body, the head is an off white, that is influenced by the color of the beer. the head forms well, and dissipates just as fast. I have never had a spiced beer, so I do not know how exceptional or not this is; it looks fine, but I do not know if it is superb, so I shall give it a bit above average since I find the color appealing for a ginger beer.

S - well, it certainly does not have the same kick in the nose that a Reed's Jamaican ginger brew does. instead of ginger it smells like really pungent generic fruit sweetness, which isnt bad at all; Though I am unable to discern any real particular fruit; may be artificial fruit punch or some sort of peach/nectarine.

T - the ginger hits the middle tongue most prominently when first sipping, the light flavours then fades out pretty quickly during the finish; the after taste has a revival of the flavour, a nice wide encompassing taste of the ginger, nothing to pungent. the ginger is hardly overwhelming, and is a very delicate taste. the spiciness is most clearly found in the finish, while the slight floral bitterness is found in the initial tasting. the after taste also has some sweetness, most likely from the malts.

MF&D the feel is a bit thin, though I agree with the brewer I wouldnt want to be drinking a ginger slurpee, I think a bit more carbonation or viscosity would have done well to make the beer pack a bigger concentrated ginger punch. the drink ability, however, is great as it is. For if it were to get a heavier body then it wouldnt be quite as light and refreshing. thus we have a paradox.

erz316, Feb 06, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

A: poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a white wine glass. Smoky amber color, opaque, small head quickly gone.

S: very malty and yeasty, clear Ginger spice, some clove, citrus

T: slightly sweet, caramel, rich malty brew.

M: little carbonation, thick feel, warming, clean finish.

D: refreshing and tasty beverage all around, ABV well hidden. Almost like a soda.

Richardberg, Feb 05, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a nice red-tinged coppor color with very good initial, though quickly fading, head, and almost no lacing. Very sweet and malty scent, almost barley winish, almost no hint of the ginger in the aroma. Interesting taste, very deep and malty, it has a sweet (think rice or corn) hit, with a slight spice hint in the middle (maybe ginger, it's not strong enough to tell), with a more balanced malt/hop finish. A fairly thick beer, but still goes down well.

NOTE: five minutes after trying, the ginger is starting to come through with a slight burn, much like after having ginger with sushi.

JamesS, Jan 06, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

As soon as I spotted this brew at the local Wegmans I knew I had to buy it. I am a big fan of ginger, and am always looking for interesting beers to try. Different label than the one pictured above, and an improvement. I like the cute owl on the label and the cap (I collect caps, so I was happy about this). Served in a pint glass.

Pours an orangy red with lots of sediment floating around. Head is cream colored with mostly small bubbles. Not much head, but it sticks around the whole time. Also leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell isn't very strong. There is definitely a ginger smell to it though, and maybe a little malt.

This tastes good too. Good amount of ginger, and its real ginger, not a chemically flavoring. I also pick up a little pine after the initial ginger hits me. It could be the ginger itself though, its not a lot of pine.

As far as drinkability goes, I wouldn't sit down and finish off a six pack of these, unless I was eating sushi or some kind of Asian dish. Actually, I think this would be a perfect beer for Asian cuisine. I would like to see this appear at the local sushi restaurant. It is a bit more potent than a BMC however, glancing at the label I was surprised to see that this brew is 7% abv. I was expecting lower.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this beer. It would be great for an Asian night or any night you are feeling adventurous. If you see it, grab it.

Chuud0ku, Jan 03, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

wowee.
so, i've rather enjoyed every other hitachino product i've sampled in the past. every single one. this, unfortunately, is the exception.
i've been on a bit of a ginger kick recently, thanks to a lingering cold from a month or so back. so when i saw this at QFC, i figured i'd give it a shot.
poured into a troubadour chalice with a blossoming orangey head. i had to slurp it down because the foam rose up like a mushroom cloud.
the smell was unidentifiably spicy and earthy. i suppose i could smell ginger.
first sip was very gingery. then all i could taste was sweet vermouth. that flavor got stronger the more the beer warmed. all i could think was that i was drinking a huge glass of sweet vermouth. herbs and spices and faint sweetness with a puckering bitterness in the finish. not my thing, exactly. i guess if you like sweet vermouth - i mean REALLY like sweet vermouth - , you'll dig this.

homohabilis, Dec 23, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

aged for over a year in a cellar.

A- caramel, smokey amber come to mind for the color of this beer.Not much in the way of head, just slight lacing clinging to the edge of the glass.

S- sweet malts with a nice backing of ginger, but very well balanced

T- This beer really reminds me of a nice Belgian style ale. The ginger and malts balance out really well and there is a nice yeast profile at the end.

M- medium to low carbonation which works really well for this beer. Medium body and some slight residual sugar at the end leaves a nice subtle after taste.

D- I could have a couple but I don't think all night long and certainly not at $5.00 a bottle. but for someone who loves ginger this was a really nice brew.

israel, Dec 05, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured a nice cloudy golden brown with a thin off white head. As for the smell, yep, it's made with ginger. It's noticeable in the taste as well. A little too noticeable for me. It's intense. Then I realize the beer is cloudy with pieces of ginger. Lots of em. I tried hard but just couldn't finish this one and had to send it seaward. This one is for the true ginger lover, not necessarily the true beer lover.

PretzelCity, Dec 03, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

A: A cloudy brown brew with light tan head - rather frothy but minimal lacing.

S: Rather subdued aroma, but what is there smells like sweet apples, pineapple, and spice.

T: Rather fruity and sweet upfront, just like the aroma, and finishes with a distinct dry ginger taste and an oh so subtle hop bitterness. Spice and some residual pineapple linger on.

M: A little watery and yet still a little undercarbonated for my liking. Finishes dry

D: Very drinkable indeed. Hard to compare with other beers of its type but I rather enjoyed it. I could certainly have more, but couldn't see myself enjoying this all night.

leif86, Dec 02, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

Never was expecting a trip tp Mexico, complete margaritas spiked with excess salt. The head was so soft, floating like soap atop the ocean. Hit tangy at first, definite salt, rasberry tart ride. An earthy base supporting gueze. Reminds of the exotic, live culture potential with a hint of lime spritzer.

SeanRedd, Nov 24, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

OMG what a funky tasting beer!
Seriously when they say Nest beer they mean it.
I tasted what only can be described as NEST flavor not ginger.
Imagine straw mixed with owl spit and shit and you have the idea.
They say ginger, but this wasn't ginger, it was OWL. LOL

The smell honestly smelled like an Asian market. So overwhelming. Each time I dove in for a sip I had to smell it over and over again.

That beer haunts my tongue an my nose.

But, here's the deal, I could tell that it was a well crafted beer. Behind all the OWL there was a good beer in there. This beer is very pretty. Nice head that sticks for the entire beer and the color is inspiring. Not to mention the mouth feel. It just felt right; nice and viscous. Imagine the mouth feel on a 90 minute and you have the idea. Malty backbone too.

I've had another beer from them and I don't doubt that they are a decent brewery, but WOW that was toooo much!

devils3cups, Nov 04, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

The beer poured very nice and looked great. The brownish orange opaque color was thick and was perfectly complemented with a chunky looking head. It was pretty and it looked delicious.

However, I was extremely grossed out by the smell. The earthy aromas and unknown spices tingled my nose. Additionally, although I can't specify by name, I could smell scents that I could find only in an Asian supermarket. Forget about the ginger smell, I couldn't bare trying to look for it.

It tasted slightly dirty with a mix of ginger and apricots. With all the other weird earthy tones, my guess is that this is what a bird's nest tasted like. On a positive note, the mouth feel was creamy and thick, just as it looked.

I had to chug the rest of this down just for the sake of finishing it, but found that to be a regrettable move; just...disgusting.

I really tried to be open-minded with this one. Oh well, at least now I know this is not my kind of beer.

Finkel, Nov 04, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from the bottle a cloudy orange-amber color with a thin off-white head.

Aroma of fruit cocktail, apricot, ginger, and booze.

The taste is much like the aroma with a slight sourness along with the fruit cocktail, apricot and ginger. The alcohol from the aroma is not present in the taste.

Medium bodied, drying, and lightly carbonated.

A fine little ginger beer from Hitachino Nest. Quite drinkable and worth a try when you have the chance.

Monkeyknife, Oct 15, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

A: poured an opaque light copper color.

S: not a strong aroma, light ginger overtones notable.

T: had a very subtle ginger taste, enjoyed the fact that it wasn't over-flavored, good flavor.

M: medium body, pretty smooth.

D: i enjoyed the beer itself, would probably get it again.

ploobs, Aug 27, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Hitachino Ginger Brew pours an orange-amber color with a medium-dense head. The head quickly dissipated, with no lacing (although I suspect there may have been some soap on the inside of the glass). Initial note of ginger predominates and lasts throughout the drinking. Tastes initially of ginger, with a malt undertone, and finishes with a nice ginger-malt combination. Mouthfeel is nice, light to medium. Overall a refreshing summer beer, with a very good drinkability. My only qualm was a weird aftertaste at the bottom of the glass, but I suspect that there was some soap residue (which also may have caused the head to disappear so fast).

kb199, Aug 05, 2008
3.63/5  rDev 0%

A - One finger of tan head that settles quickly to a film of large bubbles. The body is a hazy, dark amber color.

S - Pine/ citrus hops, malty note with some caramel, and a minor hint of ginger.

T - Spicy, citrus hops up front with a kick of ginger. Other spice flavors seem to be present as well, cinnamon and perhaps some anise. The finish is sweet and malty, lots of caramel, and balanced by mild hop bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderately thick body, and a sweet finish.

D - A rich and spicy beer, a bit thick for my taste, but fairly drinkable. The ginger character is weaker than I expected, but the malt is quite nice and what ginger is present plays off of the malt in a nice way.

nickfl, Jun 17, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +15.2%

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew pours a georgious dark orangish amber, with a nice stiff medium lasting head. The smell is moderate and pleasantly spiced with ginger. Ginger is also the backbone of the taste coming out very nicely with a slight tartness at the end. Mouthfeel is great. It sports a smooth, moderately dense feel with a medium to low amount of carbonation. For a ginger beer this is right on. It really has everything that I could possibly want from a specialty brew of this kind. Overall this is really pleasant and enjoyable, a good benchmark for what a ginger brew should try to be.

AMo, Jun 12, 2008