Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew - Kiuchi Brewery

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 07-13-2005

Ratings: 436 | Reviews: 217
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

330ml bottle. Ah, the SuperHappyFunTime owl returns.

This beer pours a murky, dark burnt orange amber hue, with three fingers of tightly foamy, almost creamy light beige head, which settles slowly, leaving a low-ebbing coral reef ring of lace around the glass.

It smells of spicy ginger root, and bready malt, so...gingerbread, yes, but I also get a nice subtle citrus twang and soft earthy yeastiness in there too. The taste is bready, biscuity malt, sweet and tangy ginger, some black pepper, a touch of lost in translation yeast, and a musty, floral leafiness that is somehow hard to ascribe to hops.

The carbonation is average, and a little frothy, the body a decent medium weight, and mildly astringent from the ginger, but generally smooth. It finishes off-dry, the malt more-or-less ducking and covering, as the dirty, earthy ginger notes carry the day, amongst a soft undercurrent of nascent booze warming.

Well, ginger, in many, if not most, of its forms pervades this offering, and despite its inconsistencies (which seem sort of endearing at times) this would kick ass on the usual Sapporo or Kirin lager options at each and every sushi joint on the planet. More drinkable and enjoyable than I would have initially imagined.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle poured into tulip 22/10/11

A very hazy brownish amber with a plenty of bubbles swirling off the bottom feed a large three finger head that falls fast stopping at a thick film leaving a couple partial rings of lace

S ginger is noticeable but not sweet or pickled, OK maybe a little sweet but its the root on display here with a little brown sugar, booze and white pepper

T no connection here, moldy wood and bitter root, I understand its a ginger beer but its like chewing on a wet stick

M slight heat and a little grit with a lingering woody flavor and a bitter bite, well carbonated but that's a highlight

O went down easy enough but it may have been out of curiosity and I never really did figure it out

for once the taste didn't mimic the smell, interesting stuff and I feel I should powering back Unagi, and Ebi with a California Roll on the side

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Great spicy fall beer.

Pours a thick, murky copper color with yellowish tinted head which dissipates quickly.

Great biting, yet sweet ginger scent.

Taste is malty and sugar sweet, the ginger taste hits strongly at the front yet mellows out when swallowed. Feel is a bit syrupy.

This beer almost has shandy qualities to it, could almost be good with a wedge of lemon in the summer or straight up on a cool fall day.

Overall a good beer, but a full bomber bottle is tough to manage single-handedly.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

What a surprise! Used as I am to generic and flaccid ginger brews, I was not expecting much... but imagine my surprise to find a ginger brew that actually tastes like fresh ginger!

The highlight of this beer is that there is a great spicy ginger core on the nose and especially on the palate. There is a lot of other flavor coming through and it definitely proves that it is a beer of quality, even if the ginger were not present.

Overall a great beer and one of the best ginger brews that I have tasted. (Though if you want that sweet, candied ginger character this is NOT the beer for you! This tastes like the ginger you get at sushi restaurants. YUM!)

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out as a nice looking copper gold color with a foamy white head on top. The smell of the beer was pretty good, it had some subtle malts with a touch of ginger in there. The taste of the beer had a slightly sweet herbal spice flavor to it. The mouthfeel was pretty good, lighter bodied with a decent carbonation to it. Overall this beer is pretty good, I enjoyed it but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to have it again.

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Picked up a bottle at Binny's and wish I had picked up more. The nose is a lot of candied sugar, but the taste picks up considerably. Woody ginger and spicy clove, toasty malts, some pear/apricot fruitiness and candied sugar, but overall this is a big spicy beer rather than a sweet one. Full coating mouthfeel.

My boyfriend and I both really enjoyed it--not what we were expecting from a ginger beer, surprised us and knocked it out of the park. Will be buying again.

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz bottle put in pint glass.

a nice hazy brown body with a thin head that has ok retention and minimum lacing. nose is spicy ginger cinnamon and bread malts. taste is big spicy ginger crackers and a nice hop bite with a dry finish. carbonation is moderate to low. overall this is a fine beer. its interesting and definitely worth the try as a one off.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Picked up while in Chicago last week. Poured into a standard pint glass, this is a murky brown beer with only a thin layer of foam across the top. Aroma mixes light ginger with abundant sweet malt. Flavor is rather sweet, and ginger is present but doesn't make a substantial part of the flavor. What this really tastes like is a sweet, underhopped amber beer. Body is a bit thin from lack of carbonation.

I suspect I've gotten an old bottle. Looking at other reviews, this just doesn't match up. I love ginger, use a lot of ginger when I cook, and what I have here is not a very good ginger beer.

If I can get another bottle, I'll re-review.

Not bad looking but not quite what I expected either. Heck, I'm not sure what I DID expect. What I got was a cloudy amber colored brew that made a decent head that had some staying power and dissipated slowly into a nice thick sheen. Thick lacing sheets slowly rejoined the beer over time.

Smelled and tasted quite similar, and very gingery at that. No shortage of ginger!! Did I mention the ginger yet? Some spices follow through nicely, especially a touch of pepper. I'd say there's a little bit of maltiness there too. It's fairly sweet and leaves a slightly slick feel in your mouth. Tangy too. Very nice.

Now body wise its medium and well carbonated, leaving a lightly sweet and gingery flavor residue behind. Very easy to drink. overall I gotta say I really like this beer.

A well done ginger beer, albeit a bit over the top, but not out of the ballpark. This would make an excellent on tap offering at an upscale Chinese bistro, Japanese sushi bar, or basically any really good Asian restaurant.

The one drawback is that it's a tad expensive at >10 a bomber.

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a snifter.

I'll keep this short as I don't think this beer was so complex as to break it down. Ginger is written on the bottle and ginger it is. Smell is pretty straight up ginger, and the taste is a sweet ginger, almost like a candied ginger/ginger candy with maybe a little dates and figs underneath the taste. If you love ginger, you'll likely enjoy this beer. But, even with a love of ginger I couldn't rate this one too highly. Close to no complexity, very straight forward and simple. I probably could've imagined this beer by description before I had it.

Nothing terrible though, and if they really just wanted to make a very ginger tasting beer I'd say their execution was flawless. If you're in the mood for ginger and a beer and want to knock out two birds with one stone this is your beer.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Mmm, better than I anticipated. Poured with a large, foamy, thick, cream colored head that slowly settled and a little lace. Color is a brownish amber with lots of flecks of stuff and no bubble trails. Aroma is malt and spice. Flavor is like nose with a little sweetness and ginger showing up more. The carbonic tang perfectly offsets the sweetness and ginger. Body and carb are decent. Finish is like flavor and about medium in length. I could see having several of these.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass. The bottle does not have a freshness date.

A: Dark reddish brown (almost rust) with a fingernail deep head that is slightly brown. It really has a striking color; though, it does not leave much lacing.

S: Nice scents of malt and bread, but, and to no surprise, sweet ginger dominates the aroma.

T: Malt quickly changes into sweet and spicy ginger (it reminds me of ginger dressing that always comes on salads at a sushi or hibachi place). The finish has more spice, warming alcohol, and some bread.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: Herbed or spiced beers are frequently considered novelty beers. It is true that this beer has a very unique flavor (and color), but it is not brewed for kicks and giggles. The sweetness and spice of the ginger work together to create a beer that has balance. The beer can feel a little heavy (slight syrup); I wish it has higher carbonation.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a deep orange with a thick dark tan head that reduced into a thin film that left a few soapy spots of lace.
S: Big notes of candied ginger. Very strong and interesting smelling.
T: Good dose of ginger but it’s not overwhelming. The spiciness of the root really shows up in the finish. This beer is actually pretty sweet though, and has a good underlying flavor of sweet fruits, candied sugar and caramel. I pick up some orange zest in the finish as well.
M: There is a good amount of heft to the mouth with a touch of heavy slickness. Body is medium to heavy, and the carbonation is tingly but low.
O: Tastes a lot like a heavier, sweeter ginger ale. Not bad really. I was expecting a lighter, crisper beer, but this did just fine.

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Reviewed from notes.
Pours a deeper brown color than I had expected, with an exceptionally creamy 2 finger head that stands up to swirling abuse for quite some time. Smells of gingersnap cookies and the malt profile is like a Wee Heavy in both the nose and in the mouth, only with lots of nice hot ginger, and an oddball flavor which is difficult to describe, the flavor of a rice malt. Honestly, I can't figure out a good way to describe rice malts. But its there, and noticeable underneath the malts that are rather reminiscent of O'so Dank. Has a heavier-medium body and chewy texture. The ginger in this one acts like a hops amplifier, complimenting the hops already in there while at the same time boosting them. This is just what I was looking for, a ginger brew with a substantial Ginger presence rather than a fleeting one. The spicy ginger will stick with you for a while.
Worth trying and I'll get it again if I can find it.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at World of Beer Coconut Creek, FL

A- Appears like a hazy brown ale with some light penetration. Head is ~1/4 and bubbly off white dissipates to ring of bubbles and leaves no lacing.
S- Mmmm gingery brew, ginger smell takes over hoppy citrus aromas. Not spicy, some malty sweetness in smell.
T- Very gingery but not overpowering (for my taste) malty undertones give a fullness to the taste with ginger acting as the spicy/pungent beer character.
M- on the thin side of a medium body. hazy body comes across smooth over the tongue while not tasting too dry w/ 7.0% ABV. carbonation stays thru the beer.
D- I could absolutely drink this beer all night, if you enjoy a hoppy beer this would be enjoyable because ginger adds spicy hop-esque kick

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from bottle into a Tulip glass.

Poured a cloudy orange-brown in color.
1 finger head that receeded within 30 seconds to a light lacing.
Nice aroma of fresh ginger, citrus fruits (mainly lemon)
taste: spicy fresh ginger, caramely malts
ample carbonation.
Most people might be overwhelmed with the flavor of ginger and spice, but I really enjoyed it.
I have to review this in 2 parts, though.
Those are my initial opinions at first couple tastes. But, after attempting the whole bottle, the ginger was a bit too much and overpowering. Hard to finish. Not something to drink more of a glass of.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a murky dark burnt amber color, soapy white head, gone quickly. First whiff prongs some spicy ginger notes, but quickly covered up by a stong malt sweetness - quite corn syrupy. Taste comes through with stong notes of spicy ginger, the sweetness cuts through at the end and takes over - a touch less ginger and more then a touch less sweetness would improve this beer. Medium bodied, slightly chewy, lingering spicyness. I liked this, but 10oz should be enough. A beer with the strongest ginger profile i have had, but the 7% ABV gives hint to the amount of malts used in this, all while residual sweetness takes over the palate.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a cloudy/hazy, almost mud puddle brown color with a touch of amber mixed in. A thick finger of dense off white, creamy foam sits atop the beer for a minute or two, slowly dropping to the surface. Loose spiderwebs of lacing are left on the glass.

S - As one would expect, ginger is a major aroma component, but not as spicy as I expected. Sweet, caramelly malt seems to smooth out the ginger aromas. Not really grabbing any hops in the nose, really just the ginger on top of the malt is what gives this any character at all.

T - Again, gingery really is the best descriptor. Sweet caramel candies, sugar, some medicinal bitterness and a bit of yeast add a bit, but fairly low flavor profile overall. I think I was expecting more of a true ginger beer like experience and the lack of flavor intensity is a bit of a letdown.

M - Foamy and firm carbonation. Mildly spicy ginger gives the slightest of warm tingles. Body is just on the thin side of medium.

O - Nothing special here...ginger is lacking the punch I was looking for and the base beer really is pretty non-descript for me. A bit malty, not much for hops, ginger is a let down...just ok overall. Pretty expensive 12oz experience at $6+...don't think I will be revisiting. Having my doubts about the other bottle of Hitachino Nest beer I bought...

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Reviewed from notes of 4/2/11

I received this bottle from my friend JT in a 6 pack grab.

A = Cloudy nut brown to beautiful amber red color. Stiff 2 finger froth. Creamy lace. Good carbonation.

S = Ginger, plum, malt, and minor hop.

T = Candied plum and malt. Corriander and cardomon spice. Semi synthetic tasting because of the sweetness.

M = Good body, drinks like a nut brown ale. Bubbly carb on the front end. Malty sweet cream on the back end.

O = I liked this because of the creamy malt factor. Kudos to Kiuchi Brewery for always trying to do something interesting. But the sweet notes seemed slightly unnatural. But I think I can get past that. This would pair well with wagu beef or bulgoki.

3.52/5  rDev -2.8%

no notes, from memory
snifter
a- a green gold, with good brown head retention

n- malt. not really ginger, very very faint

m- full bodied ale, not the best acitity

t-really malty and light on the ginger. the spice is there after about 30 secs. but its super soft. its fairly lopsided.

d- i was expecting a little more. worth a try but once.

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Hazy, amber liquid fills the cup. Thin off-white foam formed but dissipated very quickly. Toast malts and gingerbread cookies tingle the nose. Hops might be present but having difficulty locating them. Cup yields very mild spicy notes with heavier emphasis on the bready, sweet croissant-like flavor. Low floral hop presence. Ginger spice notes more prevalent as the beer warms. Medium-light bodied with a moderate carbonation.

For a beer labeled "Real Ginger" I'd expect more of a spicy presence. Hard to pick it out although it did assert itself more as the beer warmed.

2.41/5  rDev -33.4%

Was expecting much much more from this one. The aroma was of sugars and syrup. Just a bit too sweet for me as far as a beer goes. Great color and nice head, which settled down so a nice thin ring around the surface. I can't think of anything to pair with it, so it'll probably be a drain pour. Will think about trying this one again if I know it's a fresher batch (which may not be for a while), the shop I purchased this from often has outdated brews on the shelves.

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%

Kind of a murky orange color with lots of bits floating about. Thin sandy head with some nice lacing.

A whiskey/sour mixed drink smell with apple cider. I'm guessing it's the ginger, but the cider is sweet smelling.

A bit confusing on the palate. Sour and moderately spicy tasting from the ginger, warm and noticeable alcohol, apple cider notes with a moderate sweetness. Very unique, but the flavor is not meshing real well.

Medium bodied, soft and smooth with a very dry finish.

I like the attempt here, but the flavor is kind of all over as mentioned before. Unique for sure, but I won't need to have this one again personally.

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

This beer pours ruby red with some hanging sediment, a thin head that dies down to nothing, and no lace. On the nose the ginger hits hardest and first, but underneath that are some subtle fruit aromas. In the mouth the ginger is less assertive that I thought, a good thing, and there are some fruit notes. I think one reviewer mentioned watermelon, and that doesn't sound outrageous to me. I had a hard time picking out the individual flavors underneath the ginger, which kind of covered everything for me. The body is pretty light but the ginger sticks around on the front of the tongue for some time. I guess I just don't like ginger, or at least in beers. For someone who does, this may be a better brew.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a nice, frothy head. Color is a clouded darker amber.

Smell is a bit spicy, although from a ginger beer, I'm not really sure what to expect.

First sip is a bit more citrus-like than I expected it would be. In terms of mouthfeel, I would agree that it's pretty rewarding. Overall flavor and consistency mirror that of some beers made with wild yeasts. And as those are some of my favorite, I would contest that this might end up on the top of your list.

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew from Kiuchi Brewery