Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)
Eric1017

grahamboudreaux

Tennessee

12-21-2012 04:31:13 | More by grahamboudreaux
corby112

Pours a dark black with a dark brown head. This beer has one of the most beautiful aromas I've ever experienced. Very strong coffee bean/espresso presence as well as a burnt dark chocolate scent. The coffee/espresso theme again is dominant in the taste but a nice dark chocolate taste balances it out perfectly not making it too bitter. A nice combination of caffeine kick and alcohol strength. One of the best infusion of coffee and alcohol that I have tasted and Hitachino's best beer.

12-01-2008 08:18:02 | More by corby112

12-03-2011 01:22:36 | More by jcanddr
BlueHammer

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

This beer was served to me in the bottle which I poured myself into the glass. It is a deep brown-black opaque color with a tan head. The smell is of (naturally!) espresso, coffee and chocolate and the taste is the same. And yet, even though it tasted exactly as it should, it was still unique! The flavor was strong, like roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate, a perfect balance. It was easy to drink, one of those beers that is gone before you realize it.

06-28-2008 04:14:06 | More by BlueHammer
KYbrewgal

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle. Dark brown almost black with a tan head with small bubbles. Strong coffee aroma with dark chocolate, toffee, some roast. Medium mouthfeel with flavors of espresso coffee but without the edgy bitterness such as from better coffee beans. Chocolate and toasted sugar compliment the coffee and last long into the finish. A new favorite for anyone who likes their coffee strong and enjoys a well-made stout.

01-17-2010 16:50:56 | More by KYbrewgal
stumac

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

I have decided to make this my 100th review! I have a few reviews I haven't posted yet, but for all the great beers and great styles i had, this one in particular was just such an amazing brew.

I enjoyed this bottle at Stumelagram V

it pours up black with a big frothy dark brown head. the nose is sweet, coffee beans, chocolate, vanilla. beautiful! and the taste? wow! hits you with chocolate and coffee. the finish is sweet malty earth. full bodied, low carbo.

congrats Hitachino. for being the only Japanese brewery that can melt my panties...

09-01-2008 14:49:35 | More by stumac
DoctorDog

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Deep mahogany - black, and opaque. Pours with 1 1/2 fingers brown head, which settles gradually into a thin cap.

S- BIG espresso notes (!) when first poured. Hints of chocolate and earthiness. Nice.

T- Wonderful roasty espresso hits right off. A berry-like (young raspberry??) flavor which I can't quite pin down rolls around the mid palate and adds a touch of sweet and sour. Bitterness is spot on and lingers exactly how I'd want it to in a coffee / espresso stout. I'm quite enjoying this.

M- Smooth and creamy...almost "fluffy" feeling.

D- Man....as a coffee / espresso fiend, I am digging this one more than about any coffee or espresso stout that I've ever had...

Future outlook: I must go get more of this....

01-25-2009 04:44:41 | More by DoctorDog

07-07-2014 07:33:14 | More by Sir_Goatman
avalon07

South Carolina

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a big. creamy, long-lasting head and excellent lacing. This is one of the best-looking stouts I've seen.

S: The espresso comes through the most, with traces of malt and some hops.

T: The espresso is almost overwhelming at first, but becomes less noticable as you go along. Also has some chocolate, mellow malt and just noticable hops.

M: Well carbonated with a dry finish. Full-bodied.

D: An incredibly drinkable imperial stout. Very easy to like.

12-03-2008 14:55:16 | More by avalon07
BobbyBeerman

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

A: Pours a deep dark brown/black. I don't see any light through this one. The tan/brown head built up and dissipated quickly to a ring that persisted throughout the experience and laced well. It looks medium - not watery and not super viscous.

S: Let this one warm up to proper drinking temperature otherwise you will miss the fullness of this one. Strong robust coffee with rich chocolate and vanilla tones.

T: This is so good as a coffee stout. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (well, beer really) but I like this. Rich dark coffee leads the charge with dark creamy chocolate and vanilla bringing up the rear. The coffee flavor lingers as it coats the tongue.

M: It feels creamy smooth with a nice warming effect. It definitely gives an oily sensation as it coats the tongue to prolong the sensation.

D: This is a well balanced, flavorful, wonderful coffee stout. It is a little rich. I like it but I know some people won't. This one is a one per session beer. I am really glad this one was brought to my area and my attention. I will add this as one of my favorites for the style.

08-14-2009 01:13:07 | More by BobbyBeerman
broken22

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

I have been in search of a dark beer made by an Asian country. Now I know that technically Russia and India fit in that description but I am talking about Eastern Asia. I have had many beers from this region but non that were dark. Now there may be a ton out their as I never really went on the web and searched. My searching consisted of my frequent trips to sushi, Mitsuwa grocery stores, or one of the noodle houses. When I would check the beer I never saw any dark beers; so when I found these from a Japanese brewery I had to them. I can't wait.

So popping this thing open and pouring a glass; I still cannot believe what I'm seeing. A medium sized tan to mocha colored head forms at the top and never really dies down. For pouring out so dark I was surprised that there wasn't more of smell. I was getting worried that this might be a precursor to the flavor. I take my first sip and wow. This is one of the most coffee tasting beers I have had. The bitterness is well matched with the coffee. The flavor is great and I'm very satisfied. The mouth feel is relatively light considering its darkness. Once again making a fool out of my assumptions.

I really like this beer. I wish it was being sold in packs instead of singles. When I say singles I don't mean in the 22 variety that would be fine. I'm talking about the sad state of affairs when you can only pick it up in 12oz singles. This beer is very much like Japanese cuisine. Japanese food is always cooked in a way that lets the flavor shine instead of heavily seasoning to beat the food into submission, and this beer reflects that. I can pick up a 12oz bottle for $5.22. I know kind of a weird price?!

02-14-2011 07:31:55 | More by broken22
libbekat

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

I love this beer! It is like crack cocaine, very addictive. Espresso and Beer, 2 of my favorite things in life, in a single beer.
This is a beauty of a pour, dark and slighly short of syrupy, in a good way. It is thick but does not fill your mouth, like a Guinness does.
The head is toffee brown, dark caramel color. It does taste like espresso, nit an imitation type either. There is no hint of artificial flavoring at all.
I would drink this by itself or with a dessert. It might even go well with a filet, covered with red onions in a port reduction and stilton cheese. In other words: sweet but tart and a hint of bitter.

04-28-2008 16:37:54 | More by libbekat
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

From a brown 720 ml bottle. Opaque pitch black in appearance, practically impermeable to light. Tall creamy mocha head that eventually settles to a very sticky cap with gashes of lacing.

Rounded char and espresso notes on the nose, treacle, some licorice, slight alcohol.

Intense robust flavours, roasted and char malt, sweetens a bit in the middle like cappuccino, clean smoky and earthy finish and aftertaste, rounded coffee grounds.

Full-bodied but not thick, smooth and rounded.

Very enjoyable, an amazingly approachable Imperial Coffee Stout, they get points for both approaches and pulling them off. A stout that everyone should seek out, I know I'm gonna get my fill while it's still available.

12-26-2009 01:32:33 | More by IronDjinn
ktrillionaire

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Nest! You've done it again! Seriously, this is one of the most underrated breweries out there.

A - It looks great; perfect stout, pitch black with a mocha-tan persistent head and tons o' lace

S - It is surprisingly not very aromatic. A vague creamy maltiness is all, perhaps a lil hop.

T - Wow. Huge flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, smokiness and char, cinnamon and chicory, just a plethora of rich and complementary flavors. Chocolate is huge, vanilla is big, coffee is there on the finish with a bitter acridity; this is just phenomenal.

M - On the thinner side for the style, but very well-apportioned.

D - I already love Nest. This beer was so much better than expectations, however. Awesome.

05-17-2010 17:38:48 | More by ktrillionaire
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Strangely, I cannot find this anywhere in Japan. I was very excited - and surprised - to see it at Discount in Milwaukee.

Appearance: Purple-brown-black, totally opaque but for blackcurrant highlights. Restless coffee-stained beige head settles into a smooth, sticky cloud with very good retention.

Smell: Kahlua, tiramisu first; then fresh-roasted cofee beans, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, lush and sweet caramel, toffee, subtle fruit notes. Calvados and oranges come to mind. Hops lend a very slight peppery/herbal spice, oh, and I just noticed roasted peanuts and honey! Mmm.

Taste: Excellent Bursting with coffee, chocolate, milk, brownies, coffee ice cream, and espresso. Savory, too, with just a touch of sweet (amakuchi) soy sauce. Floral honey abounds as well, plus a surprising light touch of fruity red wine. Malty as hell but well-bittered with burnt notes and cacao and tangy citric hops, which clean up the finish nicely.

Mouthfeel: Soft and smooth, thick and syrupy, yet somehow clean.

Drinkability: Awesome. Not a hint of the 7.5% ABV, just pure, sweet, coffee goodness. Strong but not aggressive, smooth but not boring. Seriously... is this the best brewery in the world?

11-21-2007 16:21:49 | More by soulgrowl