Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)

Eric1017, Nov 03, 2013

mondestrunken, Dec 11, 2011

d_brommer_nh, Jan 20, 2014

Kuongming, Jan 15, 2013

Therisse, Feb 26, 2013

grahamboudreaux, Dec 21, 2012

hoppychris, Saturday at 08:53 AM

Pours a dark black with a dark brown head. This beer has one of the most beautiful aromas I've ever experienced. Very strong coffee bean/espresso presence as well as a burnt dark chocolate scent. The coffee/espresso theme again is dominant in the taste but a nice dark chocolate taste balances it out perfectly not making it too bitter. A nice combination of caffeine kick and alcohol strength. One of the best infusion of coffee and alcohol that I have tasted and Hitachino's best beer.

corby112, Dec 01, 2008

headyhopzhead, Dec 11, 2011

tonyf55, Nov 15, 2011

AApparel, Nov 26, 2011

jcanddr, Dec 03, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

This beer was served to me in the bottle which I poured myself into the glass. It is a deep brown-black opaque color with a tan head. The smell is of (naturally!) espresso, coffee and chocolate and the taste is the same. And yet, even though it tasted exactly as it should, it was still unique! The flavor was strong, like roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate, a perfect balance. It was easy to drink, one of those beers that is gone before you realize it.

BlueHammer, Jun 28, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle. Dark brown almost black with a tan head with small bubbles. Strong coffee aroma with dark chocolate, toffee, some roast. Medium mouthfeel with flavors of espresso coffee but without the edgy bitterness such as from better coffee beans. Chocolate and toasted sugar compliment the coffee and last long into the finish. A new favorite for anyone who likes their coffee strong and enjoys a well-made stout.

KYbrewgal, Jan 17, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

I have decided to make this my 100th review! I have a few reviews I haven't posted yet, but for all the great beers and great styles i had, this one in particular was just such an amazing brew.

I enjoyed this bottle at Stumelagram V

it pours up black with a big frothy dark brown head. the nose is sweet, coffee beans, chocolate, vanilla. beautiful! and the taste? wow! hits you with chocolate and coffee. the finish is sweet malty earth. full bodied, low carbo.

congrats Hitachino. for being the only Japanese brewery that can melt my panties...

stumac, Sep 01, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Deep mahogany - black, and opaque. Pours with 1 1/2 fingers brown head, which settles gradually into a thin cap.

S- BIG espresso notes (!) when first poured. Hints of chocolate and earthiness. Nice.

T- Wonderful roasty espresso hits right off. A berry-like (young raspberry??) flavor which I can't quite pin down rolls around the mid palate and adds a touch of sweet and sour. Bitterness is spot on and lingers exactly how I'd want it to in a coffee / espresso stout. I'm quite enjoying this.

M- Smooth and creamy...almost "fluffy" feeling.

D- Man....as a coffee / espresso fiend, I am digging this one more than about any coffee or espresso stout that I've ever had...

Future outlook: I must go get more of this....

DoctorDog, Jan 25, 2009

Kroehny_Loves_Hops, May 28, 2014

MNPikey, Feb 06, 2014

starkdog24, Sep 10, 2014

Sir_Goatman, Jul 07, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a big. creamy, long-lasting head and excellent lacing. This is one of the best-looking stouts I've seen.

S: The espresso comes through the most, with traces of malt and some hops.

T: The espresso is almost overwhelming at first, but becomes less noticable as you go along. Also has some chocolate, mellow malt and just noticable hops.

M: Well carbonated with a dry finish. Full-bodied.

D: An incredibly drinkable imperial stout. Very easy to like.

avalon07, Dec 03, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep dark brown/black. I don't see any light through this one. The tan/brown head built up and dissipated quickly to a ring that persisted throughout the experience and laced well. It looks medium - not watery and not super viscous.

S: Let this one warm up to proper drinking temperature otherwise you will miss the fullness of this one. Strong robust coffee with rich chocolate and vanilla tones.

T: This is so good as a coffee stout. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (well, beer really) but I like this. Rich dark coffee leads the charge with dark creamy chocolate and vanilla bringing up the rear. The coffee flavor lingers as it coats the tongue.

M: It feels creamy smooth with a nice warming effect. It definitely gives an oily sensation as it coats the tongue to prolong the sensation.

D: This is a well balanced, flavorful, wonderful coffee stout. It is a little rich. I like it but I know some people won't. This one is a one per session beer. I am really glad this one was brought to my area and my attention. I will add this as one of my favorites for the style.

BobbyBeerman, Aug 14, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

I have been in search of a dark beer made by an Asian country. Now I know that technically Russia and India fit in that description but I am talking about Eastern Asia. I have had many beers from this region but non that were dark. Now there may be a ton out their as I never really went on the web and searched. My searching consisted of my frequent trips to sushi, Mitsuwa grocery stores, or one of the noodle houses. When I would check the beer I never saw any dark beers; so when I found these from a Japanese brewery I had to them. I can't wait.

So popping this thing open and pouring a glass; I still cannot believe what I'm seeing. A medium sized tan to mocha colored head forms at the top and never really dies down. For pouring out so dark I was surprised that there wasn't more of smell. I was getting worried that this might be a precursor to the flavor. I take my first sip and wow. This is one of the most coffee tasting beers I have had. The bitterness is well matched with the coffee. The flavor is great and I'm very satisfied. The mouth feel is relatively light considering its darkness. Once again making a fool out of my assumptions.

I really like this beer. I wish it was being sold in packs instead of singles. When I say singles I don't mean in the 22 variety that would be fine. I'm talking about the sad state of affairs when you can only pick it up in 12oz singles. This beer is very much like Japanese cuisine. Japanese food is always cooked in a way that lets the flavor shine instead of heavily seasoning to beat the food into submission, and this beer reflects that. I can pick up a 12oz bottle for $5.22. I know kind of a weird price?!

broken22, Feb 14, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

I love this beer! It is like crack cocaine, very addictive. Espresso and Beer, 2 of my favorite things in life, in a single beer.
This is a beauty of a pour, dark and slighly short of syrupy, in a good way. It is thick but does not fill your mouth, like a Guinness does.
The head is toffee brown, dark caramel color. It does taste like espresso, nit an imitation type either. There is no hint of artificial flavoring at all.
I would drink this by itself or with a dessert. It might even go well with a filet, covered with red onions in a port reduction and stilton cheese. In other words: sweet but tart and a hint of bitter.

libbekat, Apr 28, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From a brown 720 ml bottle. Opaque pitch black in appearance, practically impermeable to light. Tall creamy mocha head that eventually settles to a very sticky cap with gashes of lacing.

Rounded char and espresso notes on the nose, treacle, some licorice, slight alcohol.

Intense robust flavours, roasted and char malt, sweetens a bit in the middle like cappuccino, clean smoky and earthy finish and aftertaste, rounded coffee grounds.

Full-bodied but not thick, smooth and rounded.

Very enjoyable, an amazingly approachable Imperial Coffee Stout, they get points for both approaches and pulling them off. A stout that everyone should seek out, I know I'm gonna get my fill while it's still available.

IronDjinn, Dec 26, 2009