2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 656 | Reviews: 362 | Show All Ratings:
corby112

Pours a dark black with a dark brown head. This beer has one of the most beautiful aromas I've ever experienced. Very strong coffee bean/espresso presence as well as a burnt dark chocolate scent. The coffee/espresso theme again is dominant in the taste but a nice dark chocolate taste balances it out perfectly not making it too bitter. A nice combination of caffeine kick and alcohol strength. One of the best infusion of coffee and alcohol that I have tasted and Hitachino's best beer.

12-01-2008 08:18:02 | More by corby112
BlueHammer

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

This beer was served to me in the bottle which I poured myself into the glass. It is a deep brown-black opaque color with a tan head. The smell is of (naturally!) espresso, coffee and chocolate and the taste is the same. And yet, even though it tasted exactly as it should, it was still unique! The flavor was strong, like roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate, a perfect balance. It was easy to drink, one of those beers that is gone before you realize it.

06-28-2008 04:14:06 | More by BlueHammer
KYbrewgal

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle. Dark brown almost black with a tan head with small bubbles. Strong coffee aroma with dark chocolate, toffee, some roast. Medium mouthfeel with flavors of espresso coffee but without the edgy bitterness such as from better coffee beans. Chocolate and toasted sugar compliment the coffee and last long into the finish. A new favorite for anyone who likes their coffee strong and enjoys a well-made stout.

01-17-2010 16:50:56 | More by KYbrewgal
stumac

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

I have decided to make this my 100th review! I have a few reviews I haven't posted yet, but for all the great beers and great styles i had, this one in particular was just such an amazing brew.

I enjoyed this bottle at Stumelagram V

it pours up black with a big frothy dark brown head. the nose is sweet, coffee beans, chocolate, vanilla. beautiful! and the taste? wow! hits you with chocolate and coffee. the finish is sweet malty earth. full bodied, low carbo.

congrats Hitachino. for being the only Japanese brewery that can melt my panties...

09-01-2008 14:49:35 | More by stumac
DoctorDog

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Deep mahogany - black, and opaque. Pours with 1 1/2 fingers brown head, which settles gradually into a thin cap.

S- BIG espresso notes (!) when first poured. Hints of chocolate and earthiness. Nice.

T- Wonderful roasty espresso hits right off. A berry-like (young raspberry??) flavor which I can't quite pin down rolls around the mid palate and adds a touch of sweet and sour. Bitterness is spot on and lingers exactly how I'd want it to in a coffee / espresso stout. I'm quite enjoying this.

M- Smooth and creamy...almost "fluffy" feeling.

D- Man....as a coffee / espresso fiend, I am digging this one more than about any coffee or espresso stout that I've ever had...

Future outlook: I must go get more of this....

01-25-2009 04:44:41 | More by DoctorDog
avalon07

South Carolina

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a big. creamy, long-lasting head and excellent lacing. This is one of the best-looking stouts I've seen.

S: The espresso comes through the most, with traces of malt and some hops.

T: The espresso is almost overwhelming at first, but becomes less noticable as you go along. Also has some chocolate, mellow malt and just noticable hops.

M: Well carbonated with a dry finish. Full-bodied.

D: An incredibly drinkable imperial stout. Very easy to like.

12-03-2008 14:55:16 | More by avalon07
BobbyBeerman

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep dark brown/black. I don't see any light through this one. The tan/brown head built up and dissipated quickly to a ring that persisted throughout the experience and laced well. It looks medium - not watery and not super viscous.

S: Let this one warm up to proper drinking temperature otherwise you will miss the fullness of this one. Strong robust coffee with rich chocolate and vanilla tones.

T: This is so good as a coffee stout. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (well, beer really) but I like this. Rich dark coffee leads the charge with dark creamy chocolate and vanilla bringing up the rear. The coffee flavor lingers as it coats the tongue.

M: It feels creamy smooth with a nice warming effect. It definitely gives an oily sensation as it coats the tongue to prolong the sensation.

D: This is a well balanced, flavorful, wonderful coffee stout. It is a little rich. I like it but I know some people won't. This one is a one per session beer. I am really glad this one was brought to my area and my attention. I will add this as one of my favorites for the style.

08-14-2009 01:13:07 | More by BobbyBeerman
broken22

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

I have been in search of a dark beer made by an Asian country. Now I know that technically Russia and India fit in that description but I am talking about Eastern Asia. I have had many beers from this region but non that were dark. Now there may be a ton out their as I never really went on the web and searched. My searching consisted of my frequent trips to sushi, Mitsuwa grocery stores, or one of the noodle houses. When I would check the beer I never saw any dark beers; so when I found these from a Japanese brewery I had to them. I can't wait.

So popping this thing open and pouring a glass; I still cannot believe what I'm seeing. A medium sized tan to mocha colored head forms at the top and never really dies down. For pouring out so dark I was surprised that there wasn't more of smell. I was getting worried that this might be a precursor to the flavor. I take my first sip and wow. This is one of the most coffee tasting beers I have had. The bitterness is well matched with the coffee. The flavor is great and I'm very satisfied. The mouth feel is relatively light considering its darkness. Once again making a fool out of my assumptions.

I really like this beer. I wish it was being sold in packs instead of singles. When I say singles I don't mean in the 22 variety that would be fine. I'm talking about the sad state of affairs when you can only pick it up in 12oz singles. This beer is very much like Japanese cuisine. Japanese food is always cooked in a way that lets the flavor shine instead of heavily seasoning to beat the food into submission, and this beer reflects that. I can pick up a 12oz bottle for $5.22. I know kind of a weird price?!

02-14-2011 07:31:55 | More by broken22
libbekat

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

I love this beer! It is like crack cocaine, very addictive. Espresso and Beer, 2 of my favorite things in life, in a single beer.
This is a beauty of a pour, dark and slighly short of syrupy, in a good way. It is thick but does not fill your mouth, like a Guinness does.
The head is toffee brown, dark caramel color. It does taste like espresso, nit an imitation type either. There is no hint of artificial flavoring at all.
I would drink this by itself or with a dessert. It might even go well with a filet, covered with red onions in a port reduction and stilton cheese. In other words: sweet but tart and a hint of bitter.

04-28-2008 16:37:54 | More by libbekat
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Strangely, I cannot find this anywhere in Japan. I was very excited - and surprised - to see it at Discount in Milwaukee.

Appearance: Purple-brown-black, totally opaque but for blackcurrant highlights. Restless coffee-stained beige head settles into a smooth, sticky cloud with very good retention.

Smell: Kahlua, tiramisu first; then fresh-roasted cofee beans, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, lush and sweet caramel, toffee, subtle fruit notes. Calvados and oranges come to mind. Hops lend a very slight peppery/herbal spice, oh, and I just noticed roasted peanuts and honey! Mmm.

Taste: Excellent Bursting with coffee, chocolate, milk, brownies, coffee ice cream, and espresso. Savory, too, with just a touch of sweet (amakuchi) soy sauce. Floral honey abounds as well, plus a surprising light touch of fruity red wine. Malty as hell but well-bittered with burnt notes and cacao and tangy citric hops, which clean up the finish nicely.

Mouthfeel: Soft and smooth, thick and syrupy, yet somehow clean.

Drinkability: Awesome. Not a hint of the 7.5% ABV, just pure, sweet, coffee goodness. Strong but not aggressive, smooth but not boring. Seriously... is this the best brewery in the world?

11-21-2007 16:21:49 | More by soulgrowl
nickfl

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Pours with a medium brown head one finger tall. The body is black with no light penetration. The head hangs on for a couple of minutes before settling to a raft of big bubbles in the middle of the glass and leaving a nice ring of lace clinging to the walls of the glass.

S - Strong aroma of chocolate, cherries and espresso. Subtle hops in the background with some minor yeast notes.

T - It begins with the flavor of bitter, dark chocolate, followed by malty sweetness. The espresso flavors come in the middle and are balanced by a moderate, velvety hop flavor. The finish is all malt bitterness, with chocolate and coffee flavors melding to produce a flavor very similar to a chocolate covered coffee bean.

M - Fairly thick body, with moderate carbonation and just enough sweetness in the finish to keep the bitterness from becoming overwhelming.

D - Wow, this may be the best coffee beer I have had. The aroma is simple, but robust and immensely enjoyable. The flavor is nicely balanced and brings out the best in the coffee. I am not much of a coffee drinker, but the beautiful character of the espresso in this beer could really change that. Easily drinkable and one hell of a coffee stout.

03-05-2008 06:26:24 | More by nickfl
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From a brown 720 ml bottle. Opaque pitch black in appearance, practically impermeable to light. Tall creamy mocha head that eventually settles to a very sticky cap with gashes of lacing.

Rounded char and espresso notes on the nose, treacle, some licorice, slight alcohol.

Intense robust flavours, roasted and char malt, sweetens a bit in the middle like cappuccino, clean smoky and earthy finish and aftertaste, rounded coffee grounds.

Full-bodied but not thick, smooth and rounded.

Very enjoyable, an amazingly approachable Imperial Coffee Stout, they get points for both approaches and pulling them off. A stout that everyone should seek out, I know I'm gonna get my fill while it's still available.

12-26-2009 01:32:33 | More by IronDjinn
ktrillionaire

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Nest! You've done it again! Seriously, this is one of the most underrated breweries out there.

A - It looks great; perfect stout, pitch black with a mocha-tan persistent head and tons o' lace

S - It is surprisingly not very aromatic. A vague creamy maltiness is all, perhaps a lil hop.

T - Wow. Huge flavor. Chocolate, vanilla, smokiness and char, cinnamon and chicory, just a plethora of rich and complementary flavors. Chocolate is huge, vanilla is big, coffee is there on the finish with a bitter acridity; this is just phenomenal.

M - On the thinner side for the style, but very well-apportioned.

D - I already love Nest. This beer was so much better than expectations, however. Awesome.

05-17-2010 17:38:48 | More by ktrillionaire
jeonseh

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Had a bottle of this at FFF brewpub and poured into an imperial pint glass.

A - wow this was one beautiful stout when poured into the glass. It was a deep chocolate brown color with light golden rays of light streaming through it as well. Had a nice very espresso colored head that was very fluffy and creamy looking and reminded of the froth on a latte. The head stuck round for the whole beer and left a ton of lacing down the glass.

S - the first note that you can pick up on even as just pouring the beer is the smell of pure espresso beans. It reminds me of walking into a coffee shop for the first time. Also gets a whiff of a caramely sweetness in there as well and after awhile one could easily convince themselves that they are smelling a Caramel Maccahiato from Starbucks. Just the kind of smell one expects from a coffee beer.

T - the taste was not as coffeeish as I would expect from the smell as there are actually more sweeter notes in the taste than I picked up in the nose. Of course there is a nice roasted espresso taste in there but there was also a bit of chocolate and caramely sweetness in there as well which balances out the coffee flavor and prevents the beer from having a bitter coffee taste. The aftertaste was a bit more of the roasted, dark bitter coffee taste that one expects when sipping espresso and reminded me of the coffee dominance of this brew.

MF - The body was a bit light for the style of beer in my opinion as I wish it had just a bit more thickness to it. The after feeling I felt was a bit grainy in the mouth which made me wonder if little bits of the coffee did not get filtered out. In that aspect the beer had the MF of a coffee brewed by the press method. Interesting feeling esp. the graininess.

D - have to say I was super surprised by this beer. When I sat the little owl on the bottle I did not expect such a flavor explosion as I got in this one. This beer is a coffee lover's dream and really it was super drinkable as I felt I could have this beer to wake up with and drink with breakfast, as a nice accompaniment to an Italian meal or chocolate cake or even by itself as a wonderful after dinner drink. Good job to this brewery and hope that they have some other wonderful surprises waiting around the corner for me.

02-15-2008 14:29:07 | More by jeonseh
mpetty7052

Tennessee

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer pours dark black but not quite opaque, with almost no head whatsoever. Dark red highlights around the edges.

The first thing that truly stands out is the aroma. Very much fresh brewed coffee, and little else. Very roasty, but with strong undertones of sweetness. The taste is just as good as the aroma. Very strong bitter espresso flavors which are balanced out by the sweetness of the malt. There's little hop flavor, but possibly some undertones of vanilla. The bitterness and sweetness are in perfect contrast to each other.

Mouthfeel is lacking a bit due to the low carbonation, but due to this the body is reminiscent of actual coffee. This is definitely the best coffee beer I've had so far. I rate drinkability a little on the low side because the flavors are very strong and there is a quite a lingering espresso aftertaste. Overall this is a fantastic beer, definitely good for a cold night, or anytime for that matter.

04-06-2008 05:58:07 | More by mpetty7052
joecast

Australia

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Wow, seriously thick dark pour. Big foamy dark tan head. Heaps of lacing and stability. Low carbonation, pitch black. Excellent.

Coffee aroma at the forefront. Dark chocolate and roast.pillows of sweet maltiness arise as it warms.

Big malt, roast and bitterness. Mixes well keeping this big beer interesting. Complex yet accessible. Smooth and balanced. Just enough sweetness in the finish to ward off palate fatigue.

Wonderful mouthfeel. Smooth without being too heavy and filling. One can easily become two. Nice.

01-17-2011 09:16:56 | More by joecast
dsa7783

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

From a short, fat, 12oz bottle with a red owl on the logo, pours an opaque, dark-black color with a minimal tan head... copped this brew singly from Gary's in Madison for about $3.50... definitely worth it... love sampling Hitachino beers partly due to the exotic foreign facotr, but also because they produce some quality brews, and this happens to be one of the best... strong espresso aroma present, and the taste is comparable to a strong latte with an espresso, dark-coffee finish with burnt chocolate and cocoa aftertones... nicely complex without being overbearing... no bitterness here... and despite a 7.5% alcohol percentage, wouldn't notice it behind the distinct sweetness... an awesome stout and definitely recommended...

12-28-2007 23:59:00 | More by dsa7783
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle: Poured a deep black color stout with a nice foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of espresso coffee is gorgeous with some notes of roasted malt also noticeable. Taste is a well balance mix between some roasted malt, nice black chocolate notes with some lactose also noticeable. Full creamy body is perfect for the style with no discernable alcohol. I must admit having been surprised by the creamy body and the nice balance between all the element in this beer.

03-10-2008 16:50:50 | More by Phyl21ca
Pencible

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

This poured an opaque black with fluffy dark tan head. It smelled like strong espresso and coffee bean malts with a bit of dark chocolate. It tasted like bittersweet espresso hops and dark chocolate malt with a hint of soy sauce. It was thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a lasting bitter coffee aftertaste. Overall this tasted more like a Starbuck's brew than a beer, but it was delicious either way. It had great body too, making it a perfect after-dinner drink.

08-24-2008 20:59:01 | More by Pencible
AmericanGothic

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint.

A: Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, totally opaque with two fingers of fluffy tan head. Strong retention and lace.

S: Delightful! Chocolate, coffee, roasted malts and some vinous aromas.

T: Chocolate up front and all the way through. Faint sweetness underneath balances the roasted flavors. Coffee appears mostly on the finish, with a nice, bitter bite. Suave and delicious. Each sip has a little bit different balance of the flavors, which keeps the beer interesting through the whole glass. Alcohol completely hidden.

M: Fairly light mouthfeel for the style helped by generous carbonation. Very smooth and luscious.

O: Wow, this is good. Loved it, highly recommend it. Just plain yummy. Had no idea there was such delicious beer in Japan, but now I know.

06-24-2011 02:15:29 | More by AmericanGothic
BS-

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a highball glass

A: Pitch black with a rich, dark gold head that settled at about 1-2mm. Decent lacing.

S: Lots of coffee with some chocolaty sweetness and soya sauce-esque scents.

T: Deep coffee notes with touches of chocolate and a slight maltiness. Slight touch of citrus can be detected. Aftertaste is mostly sweet and chocolaty with hints of citrus.

M: Decent to thick with slight carbonation.

O: A very nice stout. Very mellow and quite balanced without getting boring. Very comforting aftertaste. Definitely a beer I would have more of.

10-02-2012 13:16:43 | More by BS-
ybnorml

Rhode Island

4.47/5  rDev +14%

An absolutely solid black beer. Has a thick foamy brown head and plenty of sticky lace. You cannot miss the espresso coffee in the aroma with a hint of chocolate in the background. If you're jones'in for a coffee then the aroma's got you. A roasted malt/coffee bean bitterness washes over your tongue to start. In the middle there is a small bump of sweet malt. Then on the finish the just chewed espresso bean character leaves a great coffee note at the back of your mouth and down your throat.

03-02-2008 19:03:03 | More by ybnorml
Hoagie1973

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Thanks to kbnooshay for the recommendation.

Pitch black with a massive cake-like head that keeps expanding after the pour. Settles to about 2 fingers of thick rocky brown foam. Clumpy sticky rings of lace.

Robust chocolate and coffee aroma; pretty straightforward in the nose.

Dark roasted espresso beans dominate up front (but don't overshadow the malts at any point). A little char and smoke follow with a nice sweet roasted malt finish. Faintly medicinal (very slight). Alcohol is there, but barely noticeable. Same goes for the hops. Nice balance between the sweet malts and bitter roastiness. More tobacco-like smokiness shows up in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full with perfect carbonation that holds up even after a strong pour and a huge head.

This beer reminds me of the chocolate covered espresso beans we used to get at the candy shop in my first year of graphic design school. I love it. First Asian beer to garner an A+ from me. Wish it wasn't so damn pricey.

03-20-2009 23:30:23 | More by Hoagie1973
Brad007

Vermont

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Haven't reviewed enough beers from Japanese breweries.

Pours a pitch-black color with a brown one-finger head into my glass.

Aroma has a light amount of bitter coffee followed by cream and a bit of chocolate. Not bad so far.

Taste is light and creamy upfront with astringency from the coffee kicking in the middle. A bit of chocolate and dark fruit as well. The coffee is the star here but it's not too bitter.

Moufhfeel is full of lingering coffee and cream. This stout goes down so easily, there's barely anything left on the palate.

A very nice example of its' style. The coffee feels just right here. The mouthfeel is exactly where I want it to be. It's decent for sure.

05-07-2009 21:09:40 | More by Brad007
erosier

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +14%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium bodied and thick tan colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, deeper black and chocolate malts, nice chocolate, espresso, coffee, and caramel aromas at the end of it.
T: Tastes like the nose but better. Sweet roasted malts, deep roasted black and chocolate malts with hints of caramel mixed in. Then a huge coffee and espresso flavor that is really smooth and enjoyable.
M: Very smooth, warming, rich, full bodied, full flavored, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable even with the high abv and the full flavor and body. Really well done.

05-12-2010 10:42:02 | More by erosier