2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 656 | Reviews: 362 | Show All Ratings:
tony223366

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Extremely dark walnut color with a tan/brown fluffy white head. The head was huge! Three inches at least. Retention is ok and there's some great lacing.

S: Interesting aroma. There's certainly an acidity in the beer, I assume from the coffee? I'll be damned if I don't also smell some pepper in here, but maybe I'm crazy. Definitely some coffee and rich roastiness. Some light chocolate, but actually surprisingly light in that. It's certainly an interesting aroma.

T: I'm definitely getting a lot of rich expresso/coffee bean. Maybe some cocoa as well. Absolutely roasted/smokey on the finish. The first thing I taste is coffee, which leads to a surprisingly thin malt flavor of light cocoa and some caramel. That's followed by some acidity and a rich smokiness that finishes the beer out.

M: A little too light for an Imp. Stout in my opinion. Almost a little watered down. Carbonation is good though.

O: This is a little light for my liking. Had they made this a little richer and fuller we would be having a much different conversation!

08-01-2012 05:22:14 | More by tony223366
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is near black with a small beige head. The aroma brings some coffee presence, though not nearly as much as expected. Additional scents include roast, chocolate. Pretty standard. Decent flavor with coffee character leading the charge. A little bit acrid in the finish. Chocolate notes with a touch of bitterness. Pretty drinkable, but this is not near the top of its class.

11-12-2013 23:34:34 | More by Huhzubendah
BandFan

Washington

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

A rigorous pour into my Rusty Wallace Miller Lite pint glass (Hey! It was free. What?) results in a gigantic, fluffy head. The smell is good, though nothing to freak out about.

I'm a coffee beer fan, and this one is just okay for me. I can't really pinpoint what I don't like about it. It's like a little coffee and a lot of meh. It just doesn't hold a candle to Bell's Java Stout. I want a coffee beer to smell and taste like fresh coffee. This just tastes like they added some mediocre coffee to a mediocre stout. I bet it's much better in Japan, however.

Still searching for that standout coffee beer!

02-19-2009 06:41:21 | More by BandFan
The3rdbeer

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Bruery Tulip at fridge temperature

A- Poured rather viciously got about 2 1/2 fingers of head at first which is now after a minute settling to aobut a 1/2 a finger now, the head is a lighter dark beige, Opaque.

S- The smell was like a nutty milk chocolate, I don't really get much of anything else in the nose, maybe some lightly burnt toffee notes but not powerful enough to be considered much.

T- It starts off quick with that burnt toffee flavor, the coffee does not stand out much at all, the coffee could be mistaken for the bright bitterness that is apparent after the malt flavors subside, its a surprise for me but its something I could care not to endure, their should of been more coffee if they wanted to call this an "espresso stout" haha espresso would have been better!

M- Light and unsatisfying for this style, ( I want a Mikkeller mouth feel, I want something for my tongue to do when im drinking something, especially as boring as this.

O- Its something I've glad I have tried, so far this is my second Hitachino beer and the previous was better, but neither were that great. I have yet to try their most popular style, but trying a second dud is not helping my motivation.

04-05-2011 04:34:41 | More by The3rdbeer
GarthDanielson

3.45/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a very dark brown coloring with ruby highlights around the edges. A thin, filmy, frothy light brown colored head rests atop the surface. Aromas of bitter dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, and some earthy qualities slowly engulf the nose. Very rich and dark smelling. Very inviting. Flavors are rich and darkly sweet on a smooth, creamy body. More chocolate and roast than anything else popping up on my tastebuds, which is kind of misleading given the name of the brew. The aftertaste is rich and roasty, and leans slightly towards bitter. Rich, slightly cloying and slick finish caps off a very tasty beer. As tasty as it was, if you are putting espresso in the title, people are going to expect a more coffee-centric palate. Other than that, it was a very solid stout.

08-27-2012 23:55:09 | More by GarthDanielson
spazmonkeyy

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

A--> not black, but extra dark chocolate colored. It had almost no head to maybe a 1/4 inch.
S--> Immediate coffee, coffee, coffeee!!! and dark chocolate. It had some subtle spicy aromas of cream and yeasty bread.
T--> Again, coffee and dark choc. but the yeasty bread came out much more in the taste than the smell. aftertastes of bitter coffees alcohol and hops...leaves a trail of sourness that I didn't particularly care for, but maybe that could be a good thing being that this beer is so over-explosively rich and sweet!
MF--> viscosity is very nice but more head would be nice. has a meaty bite in the latter half of the drink.
D--> A pleasant drink, but one is enough. :-)

10-11-2008 00:56:21 | More by spazmonkeyy
Cylinsier

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a thick looking jet black with a head like brown sugar that is very thin but hangs around. Light doesn't really penetrate.

Smells like chocolate hazelnut coffee and slightly hoppy malts.

The taste is strong, very slightly acidic coffee, toasted grains and mineral water.

Mouthfeel is thick with thin carbonation like mineral water again.

I've decided I'm not a big fan of coffee beers but I could make an exception for this one under certain circumstances. Not liking the style doesn't distract me from the fact that this is well made and pretty enjoyable.

08-15-2009 00:06:38 | More by Cylinsier
laituegonflable

Australia

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Alright, my first taste of Japanese craft beer, let's go...

Pours a nice black-brown, with lovely ochre head that disperses, leaving a ring of beige lacing around the top with great stickiness. Carbonation is steady, and has a bit of wobble to the body. Looks pretty nice.

Lots of cool espresso notes on the nose, kind of spicy coffee, hints of mint on there, a mild cocoa touch but not a lot of roastiness. Coffee dominates and it's rich, strong, bitter. Good aroma but a bit simple.

Taste is also full of coffee, quite sour, spicy and phenolic with peaks and troughs of flavour. Taste is more roasty with strong coffee ground flavour, hints of peppery spice, caramel sweetness underlying and a bit of a clovey spice on the late-mid as well. Never loses sight of the flavour, but sweetness dips late and that produces a slight soapy astringency which doesn't quite sit right with me. There's a good front, but by the finish it's a bit on the nasty bitter side which leaves a harsh, ashy aftertaste.

Good body but swills around in a watery kind of way. It has a slight carbonation tingle which is not bad, but yeah, feels a little on the thin side.

The aftertaste is a little rough but otherwise a decent drinking stout.

07-26-2010 03:31:41 | More by laituegonflable
brantadid

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured absolutely black into a tulip. Completely opaque. A little cascading. Formed a thick 2 finger head. Excellent lacing.

Lots of coffee in the nose. That is all I get. As the beer warmed, the coffee smell becomes more prevalent. It smells like a lighter roast of coffee.

Wow. A lot more carbonation than I expected. Very fizzy. Lots of heavily roasted coffee from start to finish. Also some hints of chocolate and dark berries. Very long bitter finish. Totally reminds me of espresso. I wanted to add some sugar to this beer.

Although I think this is a good beer, it isn't very drinkable. It was just a little too bitter for me. But, for what it is, it is great.

12-05-2007 03:50:43 | More by brantadid
iceball585

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

A- Pitch black, non-transparent, thin tan color head that faded quickly

S- Fresh coffee, dark chocolate, sugary, creamy, vanilla

T- Cocoa powder, burnt malts, old coffee, bitter, hint of sweetness

M- Medium/heavy body, medium carbonation, smooth, slight burn of alcohol

D- Not worth trying

The appearance and auroma of this beer makes you anxious to try it, but all that excitement ends once you taste it.

02-23-2009 23:54:57 | More by iceball585
Rizalini

Nevada

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Pours black, with a big foamy mocha head that sticks around, leaving nice a lacing.

S - Big coffee aroma with some dark chocolate detectable as well. I do get a slight funky smell that i can't put my finger on.

T - Coffee hits the taste buds and stays for for a little bit. Not that much in the finish besides coffee.

M - Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Good amount of carbonation

D - This beer is pretty drinkable, but personally, I wouldn't pay another $7.99 for an 11oz bottle.

02-28-2011 21:58:23 | More by Rizalini
Ralphus

Ontario (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to admit I was little underwhelmed by this. It may be though that I get to drink Peche Mortel in abundance though, so many beers of this style are going to fall short.

It does pour well though. Jet black a big solid head that leaves plenty of lacing down the glass. The head doesn't stick around however.

Smellwise its decent but there's some room for improvement. Its mostly a dark raisin, coffee filled nose but it's just not that appealing. There's something a little off putting about it.

And that probably carries over from the taste, which has more of it. Lots of astringint raisin, some bitter burnt coffee.. but there's just no richness or depth of character that makes it appealing. Its a bit what I imagine drinking day old coffee mixed with plum juice might be like.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side or a such big beer. Drinkability.. I have my doubts I'll even get through the last part of this bottle.

11-10-2010 01:56:19 | More by Ralphus
yeahnatenelson

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was thrown in as an extra in a recent trade from BucketBoy. Thanks again!

Appearance -- Pours a deep, dark mahogany - jet black in the glass - with two fingers of stiff tan head. Massive lacing.

Smell -- Not a whole lot going on; espresso, dark chocolate, char, some mild acridity. Everything is very muted.

Taste -- Espresso is abundant, with bitter chocolate, mild smokiness and charred wood. Finish is bitter coffee and burnt wood.

Mouthfeel -- Heavy, but not too heavy for the style. Carbonation is mild, slightly prickly, almost fluffy.

Drinkability -- Enjoyable. Goes down easy, feels good on the palate. Definitely enjoyable, but I would've liked to taste more malt sweetness to temper the espresso and bitterness. Still, quite good and I'm glad it was brought to my attention.

05-23-2010 22:22:52 | More by yeahnatenelson
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Bottle from Beer Deluxe. From notes.

A - Poured black with lot's of carbonation along the sides. Two fingers of khaki head on top. No lace and a film of retention.

S - Tons of coffee. Heavy on the coffee. Not much but burnt coffee.

T - Less coffee. Chocolate, roastiness. Less coffee than the aroma but still lot's there.

M - Good carbonation, full body, bitter coffee finish.

O/D - Couldn't have another. One dimensional for sure. A good effort for the coffee fiend. Too much for me, though I didn't particularly hate it.

05-01-2012 00:27:01 | More by tbeckett
orcasteve

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

this one sure is difrent, the espresso flavor overpours the malt witch tates like rice maby? the espresso is good and the hops kick in nicley but ther is somthing missing inbeetween, i think that it could have been sweeter. i dont hate this beer, it gets better as you reach the bottem. i think that this might make a good black and tan with an approcot wheat ale

07-22-2008 12:35:54 | More by orcasteve
Cresant

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Guinness tulip pint. Coded: E.09.10. The body was the darkest brown. The head was dark tan, dense and creamy. Eventually the head faded to a film.

Smell was not as strong as I had anticipated. Coffee and metal. Spent coffee grounds. Light brown sugar notes.

Taste was tart/sour. Adequately sweet but an up front tartness which I found unusual. Coffee bitterness balanced any sweetness.

Mouthfeel was creamy and mouthfilling. Full to medium body and plenty carbonated.

03-16-2010 13:01:18 | More by Cresant
Pintofbrown

Iowa

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

I poured this espresso stout into a glass stein.

Appearance- Body appears a very dark brown, with no notibeable highlights. The head is a dark, sappy brown that has a viscous, milky look to it. It builds to about a finger before thinning out, leaving barely enough substance to cover the top of the beer.

Smell- Uhh...I guess that has some coffee in there. It imitates a cold latte drink you would get packed with sugar. It also has a really strong chocolate note which is very surprising.

There is also something slightly off about this. Like a boozy smell is mixed in that is certainly not appetizing. Almost smells like vodka or a sake after it gets through the sugary latte and chocolate. Thankfully, that scent is really buried.

Taste- That iced mocha latte is the lead flavor. I think I would appreciate it much more if it smelled more like coffee than a sugary sweet mixed coffee drink.

The chocolate flavor has degraded a bit and is barely perceptible in the finish, and is already a shadow of what it once was on the nose, too bad.

There is also a slight grassy, wheaty expression picked up that may be the base of the off vodka smell from the nose. It still does the same thing here of making the end drink less enjoyable.

Mouth feel- This beer is relatively chewy and has a solid medium body. It also finishes rather easily despite that off flavor. Could be a little more smooth over the tongue, but otherwise good.

Overall- Hitachino Nest's espresso stout was an okay stout. The espresso had some disjointed flavors accompanying it that really affects the overall experience of the beer negatively. It needs more coffee and less whatever that off wheaty, grassy flavor is.

Oh, and if the espresso actually tasted more like espresso, that would certainly help matters. I cannot see myself ever returning to this one...

12-02-2011 04:24:03 | More by Pintofbrown
axeman9182

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

11.2oz bottle, courtesy of the Amanti Vino Beer of the Month program, poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours black, with subtle mahogany coming through along the edges when held to light. In other words, the beer's not stout black. Head formation is weak, the caramel foam cap is less than a finger in height, and head retention is just as poor. A hint of lacing is the only thing keeping this beer from an even lower appearance score, easily the worst looking stout I've ever seen. This bleeds over into the smell, as the lack of head renders the dark chocolate and coffee (surprisingly chocolate heavy for a beer with espresso stout on the label) a bit weak. I cracked this beer at fridge temperature, which was a mistake on my part. It was very murky cold, but really opened up once it warmed. Dark chocolate leads things off, though not as rich as I find in some stout. The second half is where the coffee comes in, and as with the nose I'm surprised it's not a bit more intense. There's a distinct bitter coffee finish though that I find myself enjoying. Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout it in a bit of a weird spot as at 7.5% it's a bit small for an imperial stout, and a bit big for a regular stout, and that issue shows up in the body. The beer doesn't have a big rich body, but it's bigger than most regular stouts, and just ends up stuck in no man's land. An overly aggressive carbonation doesn't help matters either. Given the flaws that crop up in HN Espresso Stout it's not all that drinkable for an imperial stout. This isn't a terrible beer, but it's not on the same level as many of the other stouts out there.

10-18-2010 04:41:07 | More by axeman9182
Bendurgin

Maine

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a tulilp. Beer pours a dark brown with a finger of dark tan head. Leaves behind a nice ring of spotty lacing. THe head fades quickly.

Standard smell here. Not the most complex beer I've stuck my nose into but it's nice. Roasty malts with noticable espresso aromas with a hint of cocoa to round it out. Simple. Not a lot going on in the pallet either. Mostly an espresso bomb. Bitter espresso from start to finish and it's tough to notice anything else.

Feels alright, decent sizes body with ample carbonation but it's a bit more drying than I would prefer to see. Overall this one left me wanting a bit more. It's an enjoyable beer but I think there are better on the market. Especially for almost five bucks a bottle.

03-18-2011 02:01:35 | More by Bendurgin
NSD-NerdGirl

Oregon

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I love esoresso stouts and this just did not do it for me.

Taste: Comes on nice and smooth with a good espresso taste then turns very bitter for the after taste Its got a very strange middle that is quite unpleasant to me.

Smell: It smells quite nice very strongly of dark coffee and lightly of stout under that.

03-01-2014 10:19:42 | More by NSD-NerdGirl
JDV

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle courtesy of Beerlando. Thanks!
Pours fairly opaque black with a big fizzy, foamy chocolately brown colored lasting head. Smell is strong espresso, coffee grounds. Taste is strongly of coffee, and not much else at all. Medium bodied and drinkable, but the coffee flavor almost got boring after a while and was very one note. Decent, but I've really enjoyed other coffee beers more.

04-06-2008 00:25:52 | More by JDV
charlzm

Consumed 11/14/08.

Pours virtually black into the glass, forming a very energetic and frothy tan head that almost overflowed the glass despite my careful pour. Intense light reveals deep garnet highlights and lots of active carbonation.

The aroma of this one is musty, powdery coffee with vanilla and a hint of sourness.

Mouthfeel is slick and thick.

Flavor is similar to nose: roasted dark coffee and powdered cocoa (which I hate in a beer) with moderate accompanying bitterness. Some vanilla as well. The problem is a sour note that's not entirely pleasing. Perhaps there was an infection in this bottle?

Flawed. Not one of my favorite coffee stouts.

11-15-2008 03:02:15 | More by charlzm
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

I remember seeing a bottle of this years ago and wanting to drink it but I was scared of the style back then. I picked thi sup while I was in California in April. Poured 12oz. bottle into my snifter. Poured super dark brown, not quite opaque, big bubbly tan head that lasted through the whole beer. The smell and the taste threw me off. I got some coffee in the smell barely and none in the taste. It tasted very fruity like apricot. the mouthfeel was a bit lacking also.

06-25-2009 15:26:29 | More by mugglesandhops
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

11.2 oz. bottle:

Pours thick black with a light brown, thin head. Looks like an espresso - fitting. The thin head soon becomes a patch. Minimal trailing lace slides down the glass.

The smell is of espresso with cream. Roasty to the point of being slightly burnt.

The taste is of roasted espresso with a touch of cream. Tastes like chewing on an espresso bean. A burnt characteristic seems like the espresso was on too long. Fruity alcohol gives it a kick in a warming finish.

This one is thick with minimal carbonation. Felt like I had a high-octane spiked espresso.

Well- I like coffee, even espresso. But, this borders on too much. The burnt characteristic makes is a bit tough to continue with it. Maybe this one should be served in a demi-tasse cup. A disappointment as a beer and certainly not worth the price, IMO.

10-03-2007 02:14:16 | More by jwc215
biglite351

A - dark with some red around the edges. Tall dark head that lasts forever.

S - coffee with some malt and chocolate.

T - coffee with some chocolate, but also something that I have never tasted before. It is a little bitter but I do not know what it is and I don't really like it.

M - oddly both coating and watery at the same time. Tingle on front sides of the tongue.

D - maybe one... but only if there is nothing else.

04-22-2010 02:29:15 | More by biglite351