1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 655 | Reviews: 362 | Show All Ratings:
CRichardsMN

1.08/5  rDev -72.4%

Appearance:
Pours our a nearly black body with red highlights and a huge dark tan head that leaves only minimal spotting on the glass. There is so much fizz in this beer that it literally leapt from the bottle all over the counter (about 1/4 of the bottle escaped though I'm not disappointed - see below).

Smell:
This is one funky brew. Obviously, there is coffee packed in here but it's like they left it on the burner for hours and hours leaving behind a burnt sludge (and I only drink espresso --not coffee-- so it's not just a weak palate here...). Also, there is a weird sour sweetness, like a rotting green apple.

Taste:
Much like the smell, there is a huge pop of bitter, burnt coffee and overly sour funky. Nothing else, just yuck. Hello Drain.

Mouthfeel:
For such a deeply colored, pungently flavored brew, it has at best a medium body. There is so much fizz, it almost hurts to drink.

Drinkability:
No and No.

Comment:
That is 2 for 2 from Hitachino (Kiuchi Brewery) that have been utterly disgusting and hugely overpriced ($5.49 / 11.2oz) crap. Royally peeved and will not purchase anything from them again.

01-24-2010 23:35:28 | More by CRichardsMN
beveritt

1.63/5  rDev -58.4%

Presentation: Poured from an 11.2 oz stubby brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label is the semi psychedelic label so common on Hitachino beers. This one has a red owl surrounded by mustard and brown rings. Described as a "Japanese dark ale brewed with coffee." No clear freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with 4 full fingers of very dark brown head. Difficult to tell where the head stops and the beer begins. This settles slowly, eventually falling to a still substantial 1 finger coating of foam. Nice lacing. The beer itself is black and thick, not even a hint of light around the edges. Fair amount of sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Interesting smell, not sure what to think of it. Strong bitter and astringent coffee/espresso aroma, almost strong enough to be unpleasant. The astringency and acidity combine to form an almost vinegary/Tabasco aroma.

Taste: Taste of over extracted coffee overwhelms any other flavor. Vinegary/acidic flavor is here too, adding an unpleasant sourness to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average to slightly lower than average carbonation level. Body is thin.

Drinkability: Um, no. Didn't like this one at all. The coffee flavors seemed to be over extracted, causing unpleasant bitterness and astringency. Mix this with the vinegary off flavor and this beer was a mess. My second Hitachino beer, and my second disappointment.

01-27-2009 03:27:03 | More by beveritt
IPAcraig

Tennessee

2.13/5  rDev -45.7%

I have had some great coffee beers, like Terrapin's Wake and Bake, but recently all the ones I taste have burnt coffee flavors combined with Worcestershire. This is one of those beers.

This beers is very nice looking. Pitch black with a dark brown head that is sizable for a double stout.

Worcestershire and burnt coffee aroma. Not as bad as some of the aforementioned brews. That is to say it is unpleasant, but tolerable.

Worcestershire and burnt coffee again; however it finishes with a sweet nutty roastiness that is pleasant. Still not good though.

Body is smooth, rich, lightly carbonated, and slightly decadent. Nice, but it cant make up for the bad flavor.

Nearly a drain-pour. I do really like the finish in this beer though; sweet and nutty.

03-25-2008 02:10:19 | More by IPAcraig
circlenine

Connecticut

2.15/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured out of an 11.2 oz. bottle into a chalice.

A: This beer poured a nice dark brown, nearly black color with a decently thick light brown/tan head that lingered, slowly dissipating into the brew.

S: There was a slight at best coffee/espresso aroma to this brew.

T: No flavor or depth to the beer. The taste was extremely bitter and was gone immediately upon swallowing.

M: Although there was a nice head on the beer, drinking it gave the sense that very little carbonation was present.

D: At first, I found the lack of flavor annoying, but I persevered. As I continued through half the glass the bitterness was overpowering, leaving an almost metallic taste in my mouth - as if I had been licking stainless steel. I finished the bottle, but it was extremely difficult.

Note: I am left to wonder how long this beer sat around at the liquor store before I picked her up. It seemed too awful to be fresh. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can bring myself to purchase another as if it is a fresh/lack thereof issue, I will have no way of knowing where the others on the shelf fall on the freshness scale.

12-01-2010 05:46:05 | More by circlenine
hopmonkey

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

I disliked this beer. Overpowering coffee notes and flavor. The bitterness is not balanced by some needed sweetness. Like drinking a beer with the remnants of yesterday's French press added. I was so prepared to like this beer. And I feel like it is actually close to being good, but it needs a complex sweetness to counter the grainy, earthy coffee presentation.

12-15-2008 23:56:13 | More by hopmonkey
Jablonski

Louisiana

2.42/5  rDev -38.3%

I got this beer from a bottle at Port Royal Lounge in BR. It poured a deep black color with a decent sized head and lacing. The smell was lacking for most Imperial stouts, as I could barely pick up any aroma besides some faint malts. The taste was a strong maltiness followed by a funky bitter flavor, which dominated the aftertaste. I think the coffee flavor was too pronounced, which hid away the taste of the beer itself. The beer had a decent thickness and carbonation, but the aftertaste was awful. I had trouble finishing this beer, and only finished it because of it's cost. It wasn't worth the price, and I probably will not purchase this beer again.

02-13-2009 07:06:36 | More by Jablonski
generalnotsew

Tennessee

2.65/5  rDev -32.4%

Great 1 finger dark brown head. Head is much darker than most stouts I see these days with the body pitch black. Smell is mostly dark candied fruit. Has a very chocolate covered raisin quality to it. Deep dark chocolate. Big reminder of DFH WWS. Funny I don't really detect the espresso. But it does smell great and strong. The taste I am really not getting honestly. Very tart and tangy. A lot of citrus. And I do mean LOTS of sour citrus. Damn odd if you ask me. The chocolate does barely come thru in the end but I still don't see any espresso in this. I wonder if this may be my first infected bottle after 3 years? Also the carbonation is a bit aggressive. I think I will have to see this to a watery grave.

10-28-2010 00:37:56 | More by generalnotsew
SaCkErZ9

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%

Thanks to 011x0110 for this via SS08.

Pours from a shortboy, 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. The glass is overflowing with a looks-to-be-infected type head. The head is about 50% of the glass. The head and the beer slowly inch there way together, commencing in a rather anticlimactic reunion. Pox of lacing.

Not much stout in the aroma. A touch of coffee but mostly a sort of caramel chocolate muffin aroma. No espresso. Perhaps "a grab bag of Halloween candy" more aptly describes the aroma. Whatever it is, I am not a fan. A bit too much fruit.

A sour green apple flavor immediately emerges and is followed by a puckering sour apple flavor. A bit of roasted malts and maybe some coffee. Really fruity and sour and seems ruined to me. The taste becomes a bit more tolerable with more consecutive sips, but the feeling of something going wrong in this one still sticks with me. Really really chalky as well.

I am not sure if this beer is infected or not. Looks maybe, smell says maybe, flavor says maybe. Maybe its just me. With all of the espresso/coffee/java stouts out there, this one is way down the list as far as tastiness. Glad for the chance but I wasnt a fan.

12-19-2008 20:29:29 | More by SaCkErZ9
bowersdm

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

11.2oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - jet black with 1cm of a light brown to brown head. I guess only Duvel has a massive head in a Duvel tulip. there was no hint of light coming through. the head shrank a little, but for the most part it stuck around.

S - Espresso, espresso, and espresso. I've had Breakfast Stout, Kentucky Breakfast Stout and even Peché Mortel and none of those has as strong of a coffee flavor as this beer. it was so powerful that i couldn't smell anything else in this beer. that's why the smell rating suffered: one dimensionality.

T - powerful espresso taste with some suggestions of dark cocoa. roasted dark malts is also present. my experience with Imperial Stout is as follows: Russian Imperial Stouts tend to have more complex yet balanced flavor profiles. American Double Imperial Stouts tend to be more focused on one flavor, while also having some diversity and not seeming one dimensional. The beer for the most part had nothing else in it except coffee. Some other flavors would have been nice. And overall, I can sum up my feeling on the flavor as follows: If i wanted to drink a cup of coffee, I'd drink a cup of coffee. I want to know that I'm drinking a beer. This does not taste like beer. This is coffee.

M - creamy full bodied feel with loads of carbonation but yet it never seemed overcarbonated.

D - this beer was a drain pour for me, but it is rated pretty high because my reviews are as always, objective. I hated the flavor, but it did partially meet the qualifications of the category well.

03-21-2009 07:12:36 | More by bowersdm
teromous

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Dark black body with a medium tan fluffy head. Lacing sticks well on the glass, and leaves nice rings.

S: The scent is very mild with some notes of chocolate and some coffee.

T: It has a fairly charcoal-like roasted flavor. There is a lot of this charcoal bitterness. I don't get as much coffee or chocolate flavor as I smell.

M: The bitterness takes away a lot from the mouthfeel, giving it a harsh unpleasantness. The aftertaste is just more burnt popcorn. The beer feels like the carbonation is just right, but the beer feels too dry. Fairly thin mouthfeel as well.

O: Overall I didn't like the beer. For a imperial stout the beer was just way too harsh and burnt. It lost any true espresso flavor. Maybe if you like to scrape your coffee off the bottom of a pot that has had the burner on all night, this could be for you. If you're a fan of delicious tasting coffee, with that rich roasted bean flavor and freshly ground aroma...this beer is not for you.

07-01-2013 22:03:59 | More by teromous
TheEremite

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Second Kiuchi beer of the night, pours dark, black, lots of carbonation that leaves a decent ring of dark tan head that lasts to the end of the glass. Looks nice. Smells like fruit punch and coffee. Tastes a little like a homebrew. Not my cup of tea, but I guess it's ok. I don't think I'm a fan of this beer or this brewery.

11-12-2009 04:51:10 | More by TheEremite
MbpBugeye

2.9/5  rDev -26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Very nice and rich head. Its big and billowy. Khaki colored with decent lacing. The beer isnt totally black. Especially on the pour, some red highlights are visible.

S- Nice strong espresso coffee smell. It is backed up with some vanilla, milkiness and caramel. In all its a very nice, rich and sweet smelling beer.

T- The taste is a bit disappointing based on the nice smell. Strong coffee but its not fresh coffee. It tastes stale, cold and oily. There is a little bit more caramel to sweeten things up. Most of the bitterness comes from the coffee but there is a little bit of hops around the finish.

M- Way too thin and flat. The carbonation is way too low. It really feels like an old cold cup of coffee. This is really what ruins this beer for me.

D- It drinks easy for an imperial stout but it just doesnt stand up to all the other amazing coffee stouts out there.

06-22-2010 01:55:10 | More by MbpBugeye
biglite351

A - dark with some red around the edges. Tall dark head that lasts forever.

S - coffee with some malt and chocolate.

T - coffee with some chocolate, but also something that I have never tasted before. It is a little bitter but I do not know what it is and I don't really like it.

M - oddly both coating and watery at the same time. Tingle on front sides of the tongue.

D - maybe one... but only if there is nothing else.

04-22-2010 02:29:15 | More by biglite351
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

11.2 oz. bottle:

Pours thick black with a light brown, thin head. Looks like an espresso - fitting. The thin head soon becomes a patch. Minimal trailing lace slides down the glass.

The smell is of espresso with cream. Roasty to the point of being slightly burnt.

The taste is of roasted espresso with a touch of cream. Tastes like chewing on an espresso bean. A burnt characteristic seems like the espresso was on too long. Fruity alcohol gives it a kick in a warming finish.

This one is thick with minimal carbonation. Felt like I had a high-octane spiked espresso.

Well- I like coffee, even espresso. But, this borders on too much. The burnt characteristic makes is a bit tough to continue with it. Maybe this one should be served in a demi-tasse cup. A disappointment as a beer and certainly not worth the price, IMO.

10-03-2007 02:14:16 | More by jwc215
JDV

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle courtesy of Beerlando. Thanks!
Pours fairly opaque black with a big fizzy, foamy chocolately brown colored lasting head. Smell is strong espresso, coffee grounds. Taste is strongly of coffee, and not much else at all. Medium bodied and drinkable, but the coffee flavor almost got boring after a while and was very one note. Decent, but I've really enjoyed other coffee beers more.

04-06-2008 00:25:52 | More by JDV
charlzm

Consumed 11/14/08.

Pours virtually black into the glass, forming a very energetic and frothy tan head that almost overflowed the glass despite my careful pour. Intense light reveals deep garnet highlights and lots of active carbonation.

The aroma of this one is musty, powdery coffee with vanilla and a hint of sourness.

Mouthfeel is slick and thick.

Flavor is similar to nose: roasted dark coffee and powdered cocoa (which I hate in a beer) with moderate accompanying bitterness. Some vanilla as well. The problem is a sour note that's not entirely pleasing. Perhaps there was an infection in this bottle?

Flawed. Not one of my favorite coffee stouts.

11-15-2008 03:02:15 | More by charlzm
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%

I remember seeing a bottle of this years ago and wanting to drink it but I was scared of the style back then. I picked thi sup while I was in California in April. Poured 12oz. bottle into my snifter. Poured super dark brown, not quite opaque, big bubbly tan head that lasted through the whole beer. The smell and the taste threw me off. I got some coffee in the smell barely and none in the taste. It tasted very fruity like apricot. the mouthfeel was a bit lacking also.

06-25-2009 15:26:29 | More by mugglesandhops
axeman9182

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

11.2oz bottle, courtesy of the Amanti Vino Beer of the Month program, poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours black, with subtle mahogany coming through along the edges when held to light. In other words, the beer's not stout black. Head formation is weak, the caramel foam cap is less than a finger in height, and head retention is just as poor. A hint of lacing is the only thing keeping this beer from an even lower appearance score, easily the worst looking stout I've ever seen. This bleeds over into the smell, as the lack of head renders the dark chocolate and coffee (surprisingly chocolate heavy for a beer with espresso stout on the label) a bit weak. I cracked this beer at fridge temperature, which was a mistake on my part. It was very murky cold, but really opened up once it warmed. Dark chocolate leads things off, though not as rich as I find in some stout. The second half is where the coffee comes in, and as with the nose I'm surprised it's not a bit more intense. There's a distinct bitter coffee finish though that I find myself enjoying. Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout it in a bit of a weird spot as at 7.5% it's a bit small for an imperial stout, and a bit big for a regular stout, and that issue shows up in the body. The beer doesn't have a big rich body, but it's bigger than most regular stouts, and just ends up stuck in no man's land. An overly aggressive carbonation doesn't help matters either. Given the flaws that crop up in HN Espresso Stout it's not all that drinkable for an imperial stout. This isn't a terrible beer, but it's not on the same level as many of the other stouts out there.

10-18-2010 04:41:07 | More by axeman9182
Bendurgin

Maine

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a tulilp. Beer pours a dark brown with a finger of dark tan head. Leaves behind a nice ring of spotty lacing. THe head fades quickly.

Standard smell here. Not the most complex beer I've stuck my nose into but it's nice. Roasty malts with noticable espresso aromas with a hint of cocoa to round it out. Simple. Not a lot going on in the pallet either. Mostly an espresso bomb. Bitter espresso from start to finish and it's tough to notice anything else.

Feels alright, decent sizes body with ample carbonation but it's a bit more drying than I would prefer to see. Overall this one left me wanting a bit more. It's an enjoyable beer but I think there are better on the market. Especially for almost five bucks a bottle.

03-18-2011 02:01:35 | More by Bendurgin
NSD-NerdGirl

Oregon

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I love esoresso stouts and this just did not do it for me.

Taste: Comes on nice and smooth with a good espresso taste then turns very bitter for the after taste Its got a very strange middle that is quite unpleasant to me.

Smell: It smells quite nice very strongly of dark coffee and lightly of stout under that.

03-01-2014 10:19:42 | More by NSD-NerdGirl
Pintofbrown

Iowa

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

I poured this espresso stout into a glass stein.

Appearance- Body appears a very dark brown, with no notibeable highlights. The head is a dark, sappy brown that has a viscous, milky look to it. It builds to about a finger before thinning out, leaving barely enough substance to cover the top of the beer.

Smell- Uhh...I guess that has some coffee in there. It imitates a cold latte drink you would get packed with sugar. It also has a really strong chocolate note which is very surprising.

There is also something slightly off about this. Like a boozy smell is mixed in that is certainly not appetizing. Almost smells like vodka or a sake after it gets through the sugary latte and chocolate. Thankfully, that scent is really buried.

Taste- That iced mocha latte is the lead flavor. I think I would appreciate it much more if it smelled more like coffee than a sugary sweet mixed coffee drink.

The chocolate flavor has degraded a bit and is barely perceptible in the finish, and is already a shadow of what it once was on the nose, too bad.

There is also a slight grassy, wheaty expression picked up that may be the base of the off vodka smell from the nose. It still does the same thing here of making the end drink less enjoyable.

Mouth feel- This beer is relatively chewy and has a solid medium body. It also finishes rather easily despite that off flavor. Could be a little more smooth over the tongue, but otherwise good.

Overall- Hitachino Nest's espresso stout was an okay stout. The espresso had some disjointed flavors accompanying it that really affects the overall experience of the beer negatively. It needs more coffee and less whatever that off wheaty, grassy flavor is.

Oh, and if the espresso actually tasted more like espresso, that would certainly help matters. I cannot see myself ever returning to this one...

12-02-2011 04:24:03 | More by Pintofbrown
orcasteve

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

this one sure is difrent, the espresso flavor overpours the malt witch tates like rice maby? the espresso is good and the hops kick in nicley but ther is somthing missing inbeetween, i think that it could have been sweeter. i dont hate this beer, it gets better as you reach the bottem. i think that this might make a good black and tan with an approcot wheat ale

07-22-2008 12:35:54 | More by orcasteve
Cresant

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Guinness tulip pint. Coded: E.09.10. The body was the darkest brown. The head was dark tan, dense and creamy. Eventually the head faded to a film.

Smell was not as strong as I had anticipated. Coffee and metal. Spent coffee grounds. Light brown sugar notes.

Taste was tart/sour. Adequately sweet but an up front tartness which I found unusual. Coffee bitterness balanced any sweetness.

Mouthfeel was creamy and mouthfilling. Full to medium body and plenty carbonated.

03-16-2010 13:01:18 | More by Cresant
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Bottle from Beer Deluxe. From notes.

A - Poured black with lot's of carbonation along the sides. Two fingers of khaki head on top. No lace and a film of retention.

S - Tons of coffee. Heavy on the coffee. Not much but burnt coffee.

T - Less coffee. Chocolate, roastiness. Less coffee than the aroma but still lot's there.

M - Good carbonation, full body, bitter coffee finish.

O/D - Couldn't have another. One dimensional for sure. A good effort for the coffee fiend. Too much for me, though I didn't particularly hate it.

05-01-2012 00:27:01 | More by tbeckett
yeahnatenelson

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was thrown in as an extra in a recent trade from BucketBoy. Thanks again!

Appearance -- Pours a deep, dark mahogany - jet black in the glass - with two fingers of stiff tan head. Massive lacing.

Smell -- Not a whole lot going on; espresso, dark chocolate, char, some mild acridity. Everything is very muted.

Taste -- Espresso is abundant, with bitter chocolate, mild smokiness and charred wood. Finish is bitter coffee and burnt wood.

Mouthfeel -- Heavy, but not too heavy for the style. Carbonation is mild, slightly prickly, almost fluffy.

Drinkability -- Enjoyable. Goes down easy, feels good on the palate. Definitely enjoyable, but I would've liked to taste more malt sweetness to temper the espresso and bitterness. Still, quite good and I'm glad it was brought to my attention.

05-23-2010 22:22:52 | More by yeahnatenelson