Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)
3.45/5  rDev -12%

Poured into my Bruery Tulip at fridge temperature

A- Poured rather viciously got about 2 1/2 fingers of head at first which is now after a minute settling to aobut a 1/2 a finger now, the head is a lighter dark beige, Opaque.

S- The smell was like a nutty milk chocolate, I don't really get much of anything else in the nose, maybe some lightly burnt toffee notes but not powerful enough to be considered much.

T- It starts off quick with that burnt toffee flavor, the coffee does not stand out much at all, the coffee could be mistaken for the bright bitterness that is apparent after the malt flavors subside, its a surprise for me but its something I could care not to endure, their should of been more coffee if they wanted to call this an "espresso stout" haha espresso would have been better!

M- Light and unsatisfying for this style, ( I want a Mikkeller mouth feel, I want something for my tongue to do when im drinking something, especially as boring as this.

O- Its something I've glad I have tried, so far this is my second Hitachino beer and the previous was better, but neither were that great. I have yet to try their most popular style, but trying a second dud is not helping my motivation.

The3rdbeer, Apr 05, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance- Dark Black with a thin dark brown head.

Smell- Strong coffee ground nose with a peppery almost anise aroma.

Taste- Big up front bitter coffee flavor with a hint of creaminess on the back end. The coffee flavor lingers on after.

Mouthfeel- Very filling with a long finish.

Overall- Quite the interesting beer you don't often come upon a japanese stout. The labeling is attractive and the beer is quite good. If you like coffee stouts this is a worth Very Roasty Offering.

Seru1, Mar 28, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

11.2oz bottle purchased at Bottles in Millwood, Washington for $5.79. I suppose this is my meager attempt to support Japan during their crises. On the rear label there's a freshness date stating "ES. 10.09."

Pours a viscous looking dark brown color that allows no light to penetrate it. There's about 1 ½ inches of bubbly tan foam that recedes slowly, leaving streaks of lace.

Roasty, coffee scent at first. As it warms up, there's some brown sugar and mollasses aromas as well.

The taste starts out sweet, but is quickly dominated by coffee flavor. There's an acidic undercurrent to the flavor, and theres a moderate bitterness at the swallow.

Medium bodied, a little light bodied for a stout, really. The mouthfeel is slick and sticky.

I'd call this a pretty good beer, not a great one. Certainly it's the best Japanese beer I've had so far, though that's almost a case of damning with faint praise. If this were cheaper, I might buy it again, but I probably won't for what I paid for it.

woemad, Mar 28, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

A: pitch black -- completely opaque -- with a mountain of brown head atop the brew. Sticky lace.

S: strong bitter coffee, dark roasted malts. Big and bold!

T: milky chocolate presence starts things off alongside bitter coffee and bittersweet powdered cocoa. Turns roasty on a dime, but remains surprisingly thin for an espresso stout.

M: thinner than expected; slick and oily. Feels good in the mouth, but I really prefer thick and creamy here.

O: (what happened to drinkability?) a solid offering overall, especially for a Japanese brew! This might be the first Japanese beer I actually enjoyed.

brystmar, Mar 27, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours black and opaque--I can barely get this to show any colour even at the edges. Even when held to light I get a murky blackened red-brown colour. Head is fine, but relatively small. Lacing forms in rings as it is drunk. Good looking beer.

Nose is sharp with coffee characters, but pleasantly so; blended nicely with big roasted malt and astringent piquancy, almost like seaweed. Dark chocolate from the blackest depths makes an appearance, but adds no sweetness. This is a big, dark, roasted-- slightly woody and organic--but unapologetic beer.

Taste is also very good, and very lengthened along the palate. Initially, light chocolate sweetness hits dominate, but these are almost instantaneously removed by the welling of dark bittersweet espresso characters, big grainy richness and a bitter astringency on the finish. It's an extremely long palate, and indeed, one that doesn't even begin to develop until the beer has been swallowed. Throughout it all, there's this oddly organic character that lifts the beer from being effectively muted by a low-pass filter. (If you know what I mean).

Feel is light, but smooth. I would perhaps expect more heft behind such a beer, but as it stands, the lightness in the feel mimics the hidden lightness on the palate.

A very decent brew and a very interesting take on a stout, and even an interesting take on a coffee stout.

lacqueredmouse, Mar 26, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

A: black like coffee, with a thin brown head that leaves little/no retention; very stout looking stout (ha)

S: bitter coffee beans, dark cocoa powder, and chalk; i love the bold smell of strong coffee, so this is right up my alley; also, sweet roasted malt aroma

T: molasses and roasted coffee; hints of roasted malt; chalky and bitter up front, with a semisweet finish; a touch of alcohol also present

M: bold and thick, but not syrupy; just the right amount of carbonation to fizz on the lips and tongue; leaves an astringent, oily coffee feel

O: I've had better offerings of this style, but it's really good; surprisingly good for a Japanese beer!

boudreaux, Mar 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Stubby bottle into a large open snifter. Dark brown in color with an off white creamy foam. Aroma is sublime, milk chocolate and malt. Seriously milk chocolatey. In the flavor, some roasted malt, hint of chocolate, touch of vanilla and an even bitterness. Alcohol is certainly well masked. A flavorful brew and was very impressive, worth revisiting.

Stinkypuss, Mar 18, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a tulilp. Beer pours a dark brown with a finger of dark tan head. Leaves behind a nice ring of spotty lacing. THe head fades quickly.

Standard smell here. Not the most complex beer I've stuck my nose into but it's nice. Roasty malts with noticable espresso aromas with a hint of cocoa to round it out. Simple. Not a lot going on in the pallet either. Mostly an espresso bomb. Bitter espresso from start to finish and it's tough to notice anything else.

Feels alright, decent sizes body with ample carbonation but it's a bit more drying than I would prefer to see. Overall this one left me wanting a bit more. It's an enjoyable beer but I think there are better on the market. Especially for almost five bucks a bottle.

Bendurgin, Mar 18, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Jet black with some dark brown head that sticks around for a while. Nose gives off a bit of espresso, some big chocolate notes, and some malty sweetness--something about it is just a tad stale (maybe?). Flavor is really nice. I love espresso stouts, and this nails it with a nice chocolatey, roasty stout with a supporting espresso accent. It's definitely there, but it doesn't overpower the beer. The flavor really crescendos and develops in the mouth. Feel left me a bit disappointed, however, as it was thin--too thin for this big of flavor. It did make it easy to drink, though.

LordAdmNelson, Mar 03, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Pours black, with a big foamy mocha head that sticks around, leaving nice a lacing.

S - Big coffee aroma with some dark chocolate detectable as well. I do get a slight funky smell that i can't put my finger on.

T - Coffee hits the taste buds and stays for for a little bit. Not that much in the finish besides coffee.

M - Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Good amount of carbonation

D - This beer is pretty drinkable, but personally, I wouldn't pay another $7.99 for an 11oz bottle.

Rizalini, Feb 28, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

My second Hitachino nest beer, hopefully better than the milk stout. Pours black into a standard pint glass. A couple fingers worth of caramel colored head forms but quickly fades to a solid skimming. Plenty of attractive lacing as it goes down.

Smell is all coffee and quite strong. One quick whiff and your nose is filled with all types of coffee. Roasted coffee beans, freshly brewed coffee, and of course espresso.

Taste is more coffee, no surprise there. Along with the coffee there is a sweet maltiness to help balance things out. No noticeable hop flavor but there is a bit of sourness. Once the beer warms up the flavor really fills out and brings this up another notch. Along with the coffee some bitter chocolate works it's way in.

Mouthfeel is just adequate with this beer. It's not all that thick, but not thin enough to really detract. Carbonation is good and lets the thin amount of head linger for the duration. Drinkability is high with no hint of the slightly higher %ABV. I'm not sure if this beer really fits into the imperial stout category but it's quite enjoyable regardless. A must buy for coffee stout fans.

dciBA, Feb 27, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours licorice black, with brown evident in the pour, but not in the glass. A healthy two-finger mahogany head was generated that faded at a pleasant rate, and was very foamy to make up for the relatively large bubbles on the edges of the head. Laced pretty well.

Aroma is 100% deep, roasted coffee beans, with not a hint of chocolate, other malt, or any hops, or ANYTHING else. Not even a bit of sweetness can be smelled. Coffee smells phenomenal though.

Taste follows, with an almost burnt-to-charcoal start that moves to the coffee mellowing out a bit, but still remaining black and unsweetened to the bitter end. A tiny bit of sweet hops are maybe present mid-sip, but they are so weak it may just be my palate playing tricks on me. Finish is supremely coffee-like, as this is much more like coffee than the weak mess I had a week ago at a joint named for white-hot heavenly bodies and $$$. Roasted woody flavors and a mild sweetness come out a bit more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is quite smooth, although a bit thinner than expected. Doesn't get creamy, but drinks well. Drinkability is high, as it has the same finish, start, etc. as coffee which we all know is one of the most drinkable beverages on earth. I have had some coffee stouts that offer stronger coffee flavor, or a combo of coffee and other things, but this beer is unique in that the only flavor I get is coffee - and it's very enjoyable.

madvermin, Feb 17, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle into red wine glass.

Pours pitch black, with a thin smattering of short-lived bubbles on top. Some very sparse lacing.

Nose is interesting. Alongside the expected espresso note, there's a quality that reminds me of my dad's woodshop - not oak in the sense of oak aging, but in the sense of newly sawn, bordering on cedar. A bit of black currant, some lactose, contributing to a just-on-the-threshold sourness. A very interesting nose indeed. Hitachino has a tendency towards taking something that's become standardized in the American brewing lexicon, in this case the coffee stout, and giving it a firm twist. The difference between a round peg in a round hole, and in a 17-sided-but-not-quite-round peg that just doesn't quite squeeze into that round hole.

Taste is beautifully appealing to me as well. This is the rare coffee stout that I feel like, if I were a coffee aficionado, I could actually pull out the subtleties of the coffee itself in addition to the beer. Unfortunately, I'm not, so I'll leave that to someone more talented than I. As for the beer, though - clean notes of currant blend in to evergreen - juniper? - very cool (ie, not warm), with a bit of lactose in there. Espresso is the biggest part of the beer, but yet not nearly as big as so many other coffee stouts I've had from American brewers. Seems to get almost all of its roasty bite from the espresso, which in itself is surprisingly smooth. Subtle beer, but really tasty - I could drink a lot of this one without getting tired of it.

Mouthfeel is medium-full in body, slick, soft, bordering on thin carbonation. Body has enough heft to hold it up though.

Very drinkable, if nothing else because this is unlike most big stouts, and the complexity could keep me going for awhile. Nice beer.

JohnQVegas, Feb 16, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

330ml bottle into Mad Elf challice on 2/15/11.

A - Poured an exceptionally dark, earthy brown liquid with a finger's worth of mocha-colored froth on top that settled into a thin screen and adequate lacing around the glass.

S - The aroma displays many of the qualities you would expect to find in a coffee stout: chocolate notes, roasted coffee beans and sweet lactic notes. However, there is also a nice toasted coconut character that offers some complexity, as well as a nutty malt presence.

T - While some coffee roast is evident, the initial flavor is quite sweet and chocolatey with a pleasant toasted coconut character lingering in the background. There is some slight oxidization due to the age of the bottle, but nothing too distracting, fortunately. Finishes with a tinge of earthy, herbal bitterness and slight nutty astringency. Bitterness gains strength as the liquid warmed up.

M - Mouthfeel displays an oily, somewhat slick texture followed by a moderate wash of bristly carbonation as it makes its way to the back of the throat. Carbonation is perhaps a tad too obtrusive for the style, but overall the mouthfeel is fine. Finish is bittersweet with just a pinch of astringency on the palate.

D - This one held up quite well after about two years in the cellar. I was delighted by the coconut character that persisted throughout the flavor and aroma, which gave this coffee stout a pleasant twist. I would definitely revisit this one again.

ffejherb, Feb 16, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A: poured a dark brown in color with brown highlights and had a half finger of bubbly head leaving plenty of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: it did have some espresso character but had some roastiness, lacto milky notes with hints of vanilla, and mild dark fruits mostly raisins.

T: the dark fruits were more apparent on the taste alongside espresso, chocolate, vanilla accents but had roasty notes and a touch of lacto milky flavors.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, roasty, mild dark fruity, and milky finish.

D: definitely a decent stout that was quite tasty and I don't really like too many drinks with caffeine character.

Gobzilla, Feb 14, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

I have been in search of a dark beer made by an Asian country. Now I know that technically Russia and India fit in that description but I am talking about Eastern Asia. I have had many beers from this region but non that were dark. Now there may be a ton out their as I never really went on the web and searched. My searching consisted of my frequent trips to sushi, Mitsuwa grocery stores, or one of the noodle houses. When I would check the beer I never saw any dark beers; so when I found these from a Japanese brewery I had to them. I can't wait.

So popping this thing open and pouring a glass; I still cannot believe what I'm seeing. A medium sized tan to mocha colored head forms at the top and never really dies down. For pouring out so dark I was surprised that there wasn't more of smell. I was getting worried that this might be a precursor to the flavor. I take my first sip and wow. This is one of the most coffee tasting beers I have had. The bitterness is well matched with the coffee. The flavor is great and I'm very satisfied. The mouth feel is relatively light considering its darkness. Once again making a fool out of my assumptions.

I really like this beer. I wish it was being sold in packs instead of singles. When I say singles I don't mean in the 22 variety that would be fine. I'm talking about the sad state of affairs when you can only pick it up in 12oz singles. This beer is very much like Japanese cuisine. Japanese food is always cooked in a way that lets the flavor shine instead of heavily seasoning to beat the food into submission, and this beer reflects that. I can pick up a 12oz bottle for $5.22. I know kind of a weird price?!

broken22, Feb 14, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a slightly hazy very dark brown with dense two finger thick light brown head that slowly fades to a quarter inch leaving splotches of lace. Smell: nice robust coffee aroma, earthy, green, and slightly acidic. Caramel in the back. Taste: brown sugar, chocolate syrup, earthy and slightly citric hopping. More of a creamered coffee flavor here, the beans not contributing as much as in the nose. Supposedly based off an RIS recipe, so I guess this is the right style listing, but the body is not quite beefy enough. Not the best coffee stout, but a pretty nice beer.

babaracas, Feb 13, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Picked up at City Beer after really liking Hitachino's White Ale.

Pours pure black with a mocha bronze head. Little retention going on. Definitely a good sign.

Roasted aromas. Faint notes of something slightly sweet. I'm guess a bit of raw chocolate with a little milk. Also some notes fo espresso beans, you can smell that distinctive acidity.

The first sip is akin to an a more roasted, less hoppier Old Rasputin. Crisp and roasted flavors are what really come through initially. Decent sized sips yield a full, creamy texture with some hopped roasted notes. Smaller sips present something slightly more silky. I think I'd like this to have more malt.

This beer is definitely heady in the right direction. While I think it's certainly a worthy beer, it lacks a lot for a coffee stout. It still makes for a good stout in general.

100floods, Feb 11, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Dark black colour with a moderately-large creamy tan head. Decent head retention.

Moderate coffee aroma with notes of cinnamon and sweetness.

Sweetened black coffee. That's what I get here. Some nice sweet malts play with a dry, roasty coffee flavour which is rounded and very good.

Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. Good.

A solid beer, full of flavour and very, very tasty.

dgilks, Feb 07, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Dark opaque black with a half finger of dark brown head. Pours thick. No lacing on glass.

S - Smells like coffee sweetened with honey. Perhaps some molasses. Some raisins. The nose actually reminds me of rum raisin ice cream.

T - Wouldn't you know it, it tastes like espresso! I also get some honey roasted malts in there. The back end hits with hop bitterness.

M - Full bodied and pretty heavy. Finishes dry like black coffee without much lingering aftertaste except for some bitterness.

D - Although this is a very tasty beer, I couldn't drink more than one. It is such a filling beer! Even moreso than Sammy Smiths Oatmeal Stout. Not to mention the 7.5% alc.

Final thoughts: Very nice brew with complex flavors. Drinking any more than one would be pushing it for me. Would make a good after dinner beer i think. If you like espresso this will definitely not disappoint.

Guitarctica, Feb 05, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer stuck true to it's name. The brew was a thick syrup, black, and let no light pass. If I closed my eyes, I could have easily sworn to drinking a cold, lightly carbonated coffee.

As for the alcohol content, I hadn't looked at that part of the label until then. The coffee taste hid it's decent ABV extremely well.

One of my new faves in this genre. Try it!

IRONRakkasan, Feb 05, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Quite black with a tiny hint of a red tint; nice one inch dark, mocha brown head; fantastic, nearly solid, lacing

S: Sweet chocolate malts; a touch of coffee/espresso but fairly subdued

T: Luckily much more complex flavors than the aromas indicate; roasted malts: chocolate and coffee with a hint of raisins and prune juice

F: Much more thin than I anticipate in a stout but still fairly creamy with a nice even mouth coating

D: A good stout--not as much espresso that I want in a beer of this style--but it's a nice beer nonetheless

dbossman, Feb 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

This espresso stout pours dark brown forming a thick caramel-colored head. The head eventuall dissipate to a film, but it leaves beautiful lacing along the edge of the glass.

The nose of this Hitachino Nest is full of espresso and bitter dark chocolate.

The beer opens with the slightly bitter espresso. This fades into bitter dark chocolate notes within heavy malt. The finish is all chocolate with traces of almost burned coffee and earth. Long after the beer is gone, the mouth is left with hints of sweet milk chocolate.

This beer has a full-bodied mouthfeel. There is a lot of carbonation in each sip which becomes almost overwhelming when the beer moves around the mouth for an extended period of time. But in a straight sip, it's great. Almost nitro creamy.

There is nonreal alcohol presence and the flavors marry quite well, making this stout easily drinkable. After a couple the sweetness could get to be a little much, but still this is a fine stout.

BamaViper1, Feb 02, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Shared with mjyoung.

A - An almost black dark brown, typical stout color. Mocha-colored head that dissipated relatively quickly.

S - Coffee aroma, lots of it. Maybe hints of roasted malt, but very little amount.

T - The best way to describe is that it's a cold, carbonated coffee drink. I did not taste much of anything else besides a little bit of malt on the backside.

M - Highly carbonated. Medium to light bodied. I enjoyed the flavor very much; unfortunately, I have to knock the scores down a little bit because the texture was a little watery for the style.

D - Good drinkability. Not a complex beer, but worth a try just because it's so unique.

bbb099, Feb 02, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle from my first trip to Bruery Provisions with my buddy Rick.

A: Dark. Dark, three finger, espresso bubble colored head. Thicker than most stouts.

S: Coffee

T: Carbonated cold espresso. If it was an espresso it would be too weak, but for a beer... Damn! Delicious!

M: Thick. Perfect carbonation.

D: Made me hyper not buzzed. Excellent! But 5.49 for a 12 ouncer?

Similar to other coffee stouts.

8/10