2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 656 | Reviews: 362 | Show All Ratings:
Ralphus

Ontario (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to admit I was little underwhelmed by this. It may be though that I get to drink Peche Mortel in abundance though, so many beers of this style are going to fall short.

It does pour well though. Jet black a big solid head that leaves plenty of lacing down the glass. The head doesn't stick around however.

Smellwise its decent but there's some room for improvement. Its mostly a dark raisin, coffee filled nose but it's just not that appealing. There's something a little off putting about it.

And that probably carries over from the taste, which has more of it. Lots of astringint raisin, some bitter burnt coffee.. but there's just no richness or depth of character that makes it appealing. Its a bit what I imagine drinking day old coffee mixed with plum juice might be like.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side or a such big beer. Drinkability.. I have my doubts I'll even get through the last part of this bottle.

11-10-2010 01:56:19 | More by Ralphus
brantadid

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured absolutely black into a tulip. Completely opaque. A little cascading. Formed a thick 2 finger head. Excellent lacing.

Lots of coffee in the nose. That is all I get. As the beer warmed, the coffee smell becomes more prevalent. It smells like a lighter roast of coffee.

Wow. A lot more carbonation than I expected. Very fizzy. Lots of heavily roasted coffee from start to finish. Also some hints of chocolate and dark berries. Very long bitter finish. Totally reminds me of espresso. I wanted to add some sugar to this beer.

Although I think this is a good beer, it isn't very drinkable. It was just a little too bitter for me. But, for what it is, it is great.

12-05-2007 03:50:43 | More by brantadid
iceball585

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

A- Pitch black, non-transparent, thin tan color head that faded quickly

S- Fresh coffee, dark chocolate, sugary, creamy, vanilla

T- Cocoa powder, burnt malts, old coffee, bitter, hint of sweetness

M- Medium/heavy body, medium carbonation, smooth, slight burn of alcohol

D- Not worth trying

The appearance and auroma of this beer makes you anxious to try it, but all that excitement ends once you taste it.

02-23-2009 23:54:57 | More by iceball585
Rizalini

Nevada

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Pours black, with a big foamy mocha head that sticks around, leaving nice a lacing.

S - Big coffee aroma with some dark chocolate detectable as well. I do get a slight funky smell that i can't put my finger on.

T - Coffee hits the taste buds and stays for for a little bit. Not that much in the finish besides coffee.

M - Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Good amount of carbonation

D - This beer is pretty drinkable, but personally, I wouldn't pay another $7.99 for an 11oz bottle.

02-28-2011 21:58:23 | More by Rizalini
spazmonkeyy

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

A--> not black, but extra dark chocolate colored. It had almost no head to maybe a 1/4 inch.
S--> Immediate coffee, coffee, coffeee!!! and dark chocolate. It had some subtle spicy aromas of cream and yeasty bread.
T--> Again, coffee and dark choc. but the yeasty bread came out much more in the taste than the smell. aftertastes of bitter coffees alcohol and hops...leaves a trail of sourness that I didn't particularly care for, but maybe that could be a good thing being that this beer is so over-explosively rich and sweet!
MF--> viscosity is very nice but more head would be nice. has a meaty bite in the latter half of the drink.
D--> A pleasant drink, but one is enough. :-)

10-11-2008 00:56:21 | More by spazmonkeyy
Cylinsier

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a thick looking jet black with a head like brown sugar that is very thin but hangs around. Light doesn't really penetrate.

Smells like chocolate hazelnut coffee and slightly hoppy malts.

The taste is strong, very slightly acidic coffee, toasted grains and mineral water.

Mouthfeel is thick with thin carbonation like mineral water again.

I've decided I'm not a big fan of coffee beers but I could make an exception for this one under certain circumstances. Not liking the style doesn't distract me from the fact that this is well made and pretty enjoyable.

08-15-2009 00:06:38 | More by Cylinsier
laituegonflable

Australia

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Alright, my first taste of Japanese craft beer, let's go...

Pours a nice black-brown, with lovely ochre head that disperses, leaving a ring of beige lacing around the top with great stickiness. Carbonation is steady, and has a bit of wobble to the body. Looks pretty nice.

Lots of cool espresso notes on the nose, kind of spicy coffee, hints of mint on there, a mild cocoa touch but not a lot of roastiness. Coffee dominates and it's rich, strong, bitter. Good aroma but a bit simple.

Taste is also full of coffee, quite sour, spicy and phenolic with peaks and troughs of flavour. Taste is more roasty with strong coffee ground flavour, hints of peppery spice, caramel sweetness underlying and a bit of a clovey spice on the late-mid as well. Never loses sight of the flavour, but sweetness dips late and that produces a slight soapy astringency which doesn't quite sit right with me. There's a good front, but by the finish it's a bit on the nasty bitter side which leaves a harsh, ashy aftertaste.

Good body but swills around in a watery kind of way. It has a slight carbonation tingle which is not bad, but yeah, feels a little on the thin side.

The aftertaste is a little rough but otherwise a decent drinking stout.

07-26-2010 03:31:41 | More by laituegonflable
The3rdbeer

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Bruery Tulip at fridge temperature

A- Poured rather viciously got about 2 1/2 fingers of head at first which is now after a minute settling to aobut a 1/2 a finger now, the head is a lighter dark beige, Opaque.

S- The smell was like a nutty milk chocolate, I don't really get much of anything else in the nose, maybe some lightly burnt toffee notes but not powerful enough to be considered much.

T- It starts off quick with that burnt toffee flavor, the coffee does not stand out much at all, the coffee could be mistaken for the bright bitterness that is apparent after the malt flavors subside, its a surprise for me but its something I could care not to endure, their should of been more coffee if they wanted to call this an "espresso stout" haha espresso would have been better!

M- Light and unsatisfying for this style, ( I want a Mikkeller mouth feel, I want something for my tongue to do when im drinking something, especially as boring as this.

O- Its something I've glad I have tried, so far this is my second Hitachino beer and the previous was better, but neither were that great. I have yet to try their most popular style, but trying a second dud is not helping my motivation.

04-05-2011 04:34:41 | More by The3rdbeer
GarthDanielson

3.45/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a very dark brown coloring with ruby highlights around the edges. A thin, filmy, frothy light brown colored head rests atop the surface. Aromas of bitter dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, and some earthy qualities slowly engulf the nose. Very rich and dark smelling. Very inviting. Flavors are rich and darkly sweet on a smooth, creamy body. More chocolate and roast than anything else popping up on my tastebuds, which is kind of misleading given the name of the brew. The aftertaste is rich and roasty, and leans slightly towards bitter. Rich, slightly cloying and slick finish caps off a very tasty beer. As tasty as it was, if you are putting espresso in the title, people are going to expect a more coffee-centric palate. Other than that, it was a very solid stout.

08-27-2012 23:55:09 | More by GarthDanielson
BandFan

Washington

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

A rigorous pour into my Rusty Wallace Miller Lite pint glass (Hey! It was free. What?) results in a gigantic, fluffy head. The smell is good, though nothing to freak out about.

I'm a coffee beer fan, and this one is just okay for me. I can't really pinpoint what I don't like about it. It's like a little coffee and a lot of meh. It just doesn't hold a candle to Bell's Java Stout. I want a coffee beer to smell and taste like fresh coffee. This just tastes like they added some mediocre coffee to a mediocre stout. I bet it's much better in Japan, however.

Still searching for that standout coffee beer!

02-19-2009 06:41:21 | More by BandFan
thagr81us

South Carolina

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from tap into a 4oz tumbler. Poured a reddish black when held up in the light with a one finger tan head that lingered throughout. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt and subtle coffee beans. The flavor was of subtle espresso, roasted malt, a little watery, with a nice cream followthrough. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this brew wasn't that bad, but it also wasn't that great either. For me the flavor and aroma profile of this one was lacking a little bit. If this were to have been bumped up a bit this could be quite excellent. Worth trying on tap for sure, but that is about it...

09-27-2010 16:18:26 | More by thagr81us
ferrari29

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer poured from bottle into a Nonic pint-shaped glass

A - Beer pours with a rocky dark tan colored head; 2+ fingers in size; head builds rather rapidly and holds very well; moderate amount of lacing formed around the edge of the glass; dark brown, almost black colored body formed; no visible carbonation in the body of the beer; visible soot at the bottom of the glass

S - Espresso, coffee nose, very heavy, but slightly watery; roasted malt scents; dark chocolate

T - Very bitter coffee ground taste; almost like drinking the soot at the bottom of the coffee maker; hop bitterness is hidden in there and is faint on the back-end of the tongue; very dark, bitter chocolate

M - Hop-enriched bitter aftertaste; lingers for quite a while; slightly creamy, chocolate milk consistency; very dry

D - I liked this drink for a few reasons, one being that its probably the best espresso-laced beer I've ever had; but two, it was exactly as described, an espresso stout, nothing more or less; you get what you pay for

10-23-2011 04:36:33 | More by ferrari29
JRed

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opaque in body with coffee head that fades. Smells of burnt coffee beans and sharp roast. Tastes of black coffee, roast, burnt bread, some tang, mild hop bitterness. Thick in body with low carbonation. A strong espresso roast fest but not a bad time. A bit heavy, a bit too coffee astringency but worth having.

04-17-2012 03:11:06 | More by JRed
tony223366

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Extremely dark walnut color with a tan/brown fluffy white head. The head was huge! Three inches at least. Retention is ok and there's some great lacing.

S: Interesting aroma. There's certainly an acidity in the beer, I assume from the coffee? I'll be damned if I don't also smell some pepper in here, but maybe I'm crazy. Definitely some coffee and rich roastiness. Some light chocolate, but actually surprisingly light in that. It's certainly an interesting aroma.

T: I'm definitely getting a lot of rich expresso/coffee bean. Maybe some cocoa as well. Absolutely roasted/smokey on the finish. The first thing I taste is coffee, which leads to a surprisingly thin malt flavor of light cocoa and some caramel. That's followed by some acidity and a rich smokiness that finishes the beer out.

M: A little too light for an Imp. Stout in my opinion. Almost a little watered down. Carbonation is good though.

O: This is a little light for my liking. Had they made this a little richer and fuller we would be having a much different conversation!

08-01-2012 05:22:14 | More by tony223366
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is near black with a small beige head. The aroma brings some coffee presence, though not nearly as much as expected. Additional scents include roast, chocolate. Pretty standard. Decent flavor with coffee character leading the charge. A little bit acrid in the finish. Chocolate notes with a touch of bitterness. Pretty drinkable, but this is not near the top of its class.

11-12-2013 23:34:34 | More by Huhzubendah
kkipple

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

Grabbed this out of the fridge when a coffee-loving friend who isn't crazy about beer came over. Glad to say it was well received.

Hitachino Nest Espresso is black, with a foamy head, some lacing, good retention.

Smell: Fresh cold coffee. Nice roast, too. Bit of cocoa. That's about it. As advertised. Simple.

Taste: Super coffee! The intense roasted bean smell reminds me of entering a coffee shop. I've heard a rumor they add Italian espresso beans to the boil when making this; it certainly seems plausible. This is the most intense coffee beer I've ever experienced. The stong bitter espresso flavor is there from beginning to end, and leaves the mouth feeling like you just sipped a cup of cold joe. Hints of earth and tobacco hide from my tongue. Bittersweet, but the bitterness comes from the coffee since as far as I can tell the hops are nonexistent. Fascinating, but not very beer like.

Mouthfeel is watery and wet, medium carbonation. Coffee flavor lingers long. Would prefer a thicker body, personally.

I'm torn on this one, I really am. If you like coffee you'll enjoy this (and I did) but it seems as if the brewers went overboard with the coffee character. I'm not sure how much caffeine is in here but I have suspicions it could double as a wake-me-up in the AM. Can't drink much of it.

Recommended for the coffee lover or for people who dig peculiar beers.

12-22-2007 18:46:01 | More by kkipple
vacax

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz. bottle from The Wine Country in Signal Hill @ $5.29. Glad to find this one, my first time sighting this one north of San Diego.

A: Pours as black as a shot of espresso. Poured aggressively, as is my custom with double stouts, and was graced with a large and thick tan head with some sparkling microbeads. Very solid retention and lacing.

S: Strong fresh espresso is immediate and robust. Roasted malts complement the espresso and a subtle hop character nearly blends completely in. A mild vanilla sweetness finishes it off, a bit of dark fruit appears as it warms.

T: I immediately regret opening this bottle after midnight... one of the most intense espresso or coffee presences I have found. This is close to espresso with beer rather than beer with espresso. There is a hop bitterness here that closely complements the bittering coming from the espresso, which is also matched by roasted malts. This beer is built around emphasizing what amounts to an overwhelming coffee presence. Behind the coffee there are only small hints of dark fruit, leather, and alcohol.

M: Full bodied but relatively light in the spectrum of imperial stouts. Carbonation is low and matches the style.

D: How many cups of espresso can you drink? The twelve ounce bottle is more than enough to share. I like this beer, but this is one I would recommend splitting. This is not really a condemnation for an imperial stout though.

An espresso bomb of a beer where everything works together to highlight one thing... espresso.

06-24-2009 08:29:09 | More by vacax
magine

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown brew with a huge active chunky head. Great head retention, nice lacing.

Brew smells of slight malts, more of a chocolate a coffee/espresso smell.

Brew tastes sweet; chocolate flavors. Has a big coffee taste (more so as it warms). The brew really is as advertised, tastes like an espresso. Has a coffee dry aftertaste left on the tongue. Has a carbonated mouthfeel, more then a creamy/smooth that I was expecting.

This brew is good; more for a try - but I would not session it. It is a bit to sweet, and doesnt really hammer home the taste of beer for me. Good to try, but not my thing.

09-28-2009 01:00:33 | More by magine
hardy008

3.56/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a small khaki head, which has pretty good retention, and leaves spotty lacing. The Aroma has espresso, cocoa, dark chocolate, and dark roasted malt.

The taste is somewhat charred with dark roasted malt, espresso, dark chocolate, cocoa, and black licorice. There is not much sweetness, and there is a bit more of a charred taste than I would like, but it is still pretty good.

Light to medium bodied with modest carbonation. There is a charred malt aftertaste. Somewhat creamy. Not a bad beer at all. Worth trying if you get the chance.

03-25-2014 00:41:57 | More by hardy008
morimech

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured a very dark black with a two-fingered tan head. Excellant head retention and moderate amounts of sticky lacing left behind. Gorgeous looking beer.

The smell threw me off a bit. It has a sweet oat and malt smell and not a coffee aroma. Very powerful smell.

The coffee comes through in the taste however. The coffee and sweet, dark malt offer a very dynamic taste. Heavy bitter coffee aftertaste. A bit much for me. The body is thinner than what I expected and may be a bit overcarbonated. One bottle is enough. Overall a good beer but one I probably won't be seeking out in the future. Just not my taste.

01-20-2008 18:44:46 | More by morimech
macktbone

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

This was part of a sampling to advocate to family and friends.

A- dark black

S- strong espresso. Some malt in the background but solid bean.

T- cold espresso with out cream or sugar. Slight plastic aftertaste.

M- thin and watery, very little carbonation.

D- Split a 12 0z bottle amongst 7 people...need I say more.

03-14-2009 19:46:11 | More by macktbone
shortysdude285

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Not exactly sure why, but as soon as I cracked this one open it almost exploded everywhere. Foam went all over the counter and floor but that could have been from the car drive home (had it shortly after I got back).

A - Looks like a good strong stout black. Head is present (already mentioned obvious carbonation) but the bubbles are a bit big, making it kinda fizzy

S - Not as malty as I like on a stout. Espresso scent is as present as one might want from an "Espresso stout"

T - Taste is good, but not quite as roasted malty and thick as I like a stout to be.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, espresso is there but not overpowering

D - Not bad. I could have a few but not exactly a session

05-08-2010 05:56:15 | More by shortysdude285
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into tulip with two inch head on top of a pitch black body. The bubbles are tiny and the head lasts quite a while. The coffee smell is prevalent. A hint of sweetness that is reminiscent of chocolate is in the background. The taste is dominated by smooth espresso flavor. Sweet chocolatey malt flavor is in the background. The bitterness is strong; after a couple sips the coffee flavor leaves a slight tang. This is a lighter bodied stout and drinks well considering. I would have again.

07-31-2010 02:59:50 | More by andrewinski1
cvm4

Mississippi

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Pours dark brown with a 2 finger tan mocha head.

S - Picking up a lot of roasted malts and coffee.

T - Not as much coffee as I was expecting compared to others in its class. But, you do get some coffee and roasted malts. There's a slight sweetness to it also.

M - Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Pretty velvety.

O - Not an "in your face" coffee stout. It's a bit muted where it should be bold.

04-19-2012 23:35:25 | More by cvm4
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Gulden Draak tulip glass.

Appearance- Black in color with a half finger of mocha head that dissipates into a small layer that leaves excellent multi layered sticky lacing.

Smell- Espresso, coffee and a bitter hop

Taste- Black coffee with a middle to backend bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel- Full body that makes you feel like you are almost chewing.

Overall- This is great if you are a black coffee drinker. I personally would have liked a little bit more sweetness for balance.

09-18-2012 17:36:14 | More by BrownAleMale