Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 07-20-2007

Reviews: 405 | Ratings: 942
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Body is very close to being completely opaque. The head is a solid 3 fingers, the color is a fairly deep shade of brown, darker than most stouts. Retention and lacing are both very good.

S- Nice aromas of roasted malt, coffee and milk chocolate. It's definitely not as robust with espresso like I thought it would be, but it's pleasurable non the less.

T- Mellow in the beginning, but really packs a nice coffee bitterness in the finish that stays in the mouth for sometime.

M- The body could be a little fuller and chewier, but a nice mouthfeel overall. Carbonation seems spot on.

D- Another great beer from Japan. Can't wait to try the Celebration Ale & XH that I picked up from Kiuchi Brewing as well. More please!

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Super dark brown with huge, we're talking three fingers, of dark mocha colored head. Spiderwebbing lacing. Looks a bit on the thin side though

S- Dark roasted malts, coffee beans and booze

T- Very sweet and tangy. The espresso doesn't make its appearance up front. Seems to wait until the tangy roasted malts leave the stage. Finishes with a slight hop bitterness along with the espresso.

M- Pretty thin bodied. Highly carbonated. Tangy sweetness hangs around after each drink.

D- A bit steep at neary $6 per 12oz bottle. The thiness of the body makes for easier drinking than I like to see in what should be a heavy style. Tasty though and I did enjoy this "owl" beer.

3.71/5  rDev -6.1%

Picked up at City Beer after really liking Hitachino's White Ale.

Pours pure black with a mocha bronze head. Little retention going on. Definitely a good sign.

Roasted aromas. Faint notes of something slightly sweet. I'm guess a bit of raw chocolate with a little milk. Also some notes fo espresso beans, you can smell that distinctive acidity.

The first sip is akin to an a more roasted, less hoppier Old Rasputin. Crisp and roasted flavors are what really come through initially. Decent sized sips yield a full, creamy texture with some hopped roasted notes. Smaller sips present something slightly more silky. I think I'd like this to have more malt.

This beer is definitely heady in the right direction. While I think it's certainly a worthy beer, it lacks a lot for a coffee stout. It still makes for a good stout in general.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours straight black with a very thin khaki head. Nice looking beer, exactly what I want from my stout.

Smell is very nice. Tons of roasted coffee up front with some other dark malts behind it.

Taste is also very good. Very roasty up front with just enough bitterness to balance it out. Pretty straightforward in both aroma and taste, not terribly complex but what it does, it does well.

The mouthfeel on this is just about perfect for me. Slightly creamy, full but not filling.

Overall this beer exceeded my expectations, definitely worth picking up if you like coffee stouts.

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle purchased from the Davis Foods Coop. Pours an opaque brown. .5 in of latte colored foam that seems to be doing a good job of sticking thus far.

Smells of coffee, burned malts. Tastes pretty well the same way too. Starts off sweet malt and coffee, and ends with burned malt/coffee bitter. Beer doesn't particularly mouth coating or anything, but the coffee bitter does stick around for a bit.

Definitely a very solid coffee flavored stout. Hitachino's price point makes it a little shy on value, but it is definitely a beer I could use to get coffee drinking friends into the craft beer world.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Another selection from Halftime in Poughkeepsie.
Appearance: This beer pours a very very dark brown with a great deep tan head. Good lacing.
Smell: Coffee, Raisins, Earthy
Taste: Major roasted grains. Coffee, chocolate,
Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth
Drinkability: Delicious, but one is certainly enough.

2.78/5  rDev -29.6%

Great 1 finger dark brown head. Head is much darker than most stouts I see these days with the body pitch black. Smell is mostly dark candied fruit. Has a very chocolate covered raisin quality to it. Deep dark chocolate. Big reminder of DFH WWS. Funny I don't really detect the espresso. But it does smell great and strong. The taste I am really not getting honestly. Very tart and tangy. A lot of citrus. And I do mean LOTS of sour citrus. Damn odd if you ask me. The chocolate does barely come thru in the end but I still don't see any espresso in this. I wonder if this may be my first infected bottle after 3 years? Also the carbonation is a bit aggressive. I think I will have to see this to a watery grave.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours pitch black. a vigorous pour produced a huge head. 3 fingers atleast, it was hard to tell as a little bit spilled over the top of the glass...oops. the head dissipated to a thin film but left heavy lacing.

S- espresso indeed. a ton of coffee and chocolate on the nose. not a whole lot going on besides that. but right on for a nice coffee stout.

T- a load of bitter chocolate is up front followed by some relatively faint coffee and a surprising breadiness. finishes a bit dry. maybe some of the foreign influence coming in. a nice smooth drinking imperial stout, but it could be a good bit more robust.

M/D- this is an interesting beer in the mouthfeel dept. it starts out quite creamy but finishes quite dry and reminds me a little bit of a Guinness extra stout. dryness isn't exactly what I'm looking for in a double stout. the carbonation level is quite pleasing. this is a very drinkable impy stout. not the strongest but it goes down smooth even considering the lower ABV(7.5%)

a nice beer but I don't think I'll be purchasing again at the $5 a bottle price tag. worth a try though.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

A- Pours deep black, no light gets through this beast of an Imperial Stout. Huge billowy dark tan head with both large and fine bubbles that stays in glass leaving behind a nice thick lace

S- Initially a raisin, fig smell mingles with chocolate, then the coffee notes appear. A nice Deep espresso aroma, bit of vanilla.

T- Contrary to the aroma, coffee is the primary thing that hits the palate, followed by the dark fruit. This is a very good balance of those two main tastes that dominate this style. Some overplay the coffee which, I like, and some that have too much fig/raisin taste, which I don't really enjoy. It has a really nice creamy finish with a hint of vanilla.

M- This has a surprisingly light body for an Imperial stout. Everything about this beer screams stout, from the dark syrupy pour and robust malty flavor, but it is pretty medium bodied. It has a creamy coffee then bitter finish. Leaves some stickiness in the mouth.

D- For an Imperial Stout, it's pretty drinkable. That being said, one must enjoy the flavor of coffee and the extreme of an Imperial stout. Definitely not a session beer, but nice to enjoy. It is by no means on the top of the list of Imperial Stouts but I think it is a little more versatile than others as a result of its lighter body

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Nice dark dark brown color with a nice 1 inch med brown colored head. Smells like expresso with smokiness and some bitterness. Very strong coffee taste with a nice medium body too it. Alkaline feel. You can see a lot of chunks of coffee bits and grinds. Can't taste any alcohol at all for a 7% abv. If you are a serious coffee drinker this one is about as good as it gets. They hit the nail on this one.

3.16/5  rDev -20%

I remember seeing a bottle of this years ago and wanting to drink it but I was scared of the style back then. I picked thi sup while I was in California in April. Poured 12oz. bottle into my snifter. Poured super dark brown, not quite opaque, big bubbly tan head that lasted through the whole beer. The smell and the taste threw me off. I got some coffee in the smell barely and none in the taste. It tasted very fruity like apricot. the mouthfeel was a bit lacking also.

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Visual: Black as night, but not night in Southwest Florida, where the moon is bright and the light pollution brighter. Night in North Georgia. Night in South Alabama. An oily night. There is no head. A latte-colored halo of lace around the outer edge. Not a mostly-milk latte. One of my lattes. It's half espresso, plenty dark.

Olfactory: Espresso beans in the grinder. Whisky in oak barrels. Unlit cigarettes. Bitter chocolate. Not dark chocolate. Not anything edible, for most people. The baking chocolate I pulled out of the freezer as a child and shaved bits off of, and ate, savoring the bitterness and the thrill of getting away with something.

Taste receptors: Dark chocolate covered coffee beans. Roasted, oily beans. Peat. The sludgy bits at the bottom of an espresso. A hint of bourbon.

Touch: Heavy. Slick. Less heft than expected. It lingers.

Drink: Yes. I could. All night.

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured absolutely black into a tulip. Completely opaque. A little cascading. Formed a thick 2 finger head. Excellent lacing.

Lots of coffee in the nose. That is all I get. As the beer warmed, the coffee smell becomes more prevalent. It smells like a lighter roast of coffee.

Wow. A lot more carbonation than I expected. Very fizzy. Lots of heavily roasted coffee from start to finish. Also some hints of chocolate and dark berries. Very long bitter finish. Totally reminds me of espresso. I wanted to add some sugar to this beer.

Although I think this is a good beer, it isn't very drinkable. It was just a little too bitter for me. But, for what it is, it is great.

2.74/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

11.2oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - jet black with 1cm of a light brown to brown head. I guess only Duvel has a massive head in a Duvel tulip. there was no hint of light coming through. the head shrank a little, but for the most part it stuck around.

S - Espresso, espresso, and espresso. I've had Breakfast Stout, Kentucky Breakfast Stout and even Peché Mortel and none of those has as strong of a coffee flavor as this beer. it was so powerful that i couldn't smell anything else in this beer. that's why the smell rating suffered: one dimensionality.

T - powerful espresso taste with some suggestions of dark cocoa. roasted dark malts is also present. my experience with Imperial Stout is as follows: Russian Imperial Stouts tend to have more complex yet balanced flavor profiles. American Double Imperial Stouts tend to be more focused on one flavor, while also having some diversity and not seeming one dimensional. The beer for the most part had nothing else in it except coffee. Some other flavors would have been nice. And overall, I can sum up my feeling on the flavor as follows: If i wanted to drink a cup of coffee, I'd drink a cup of coffee. I want to know that I'm drinking a beer. This does not taste like beer. This is coffee.

M - creamy full bodied feel with loads of carbonation but yet it never seemed overcarbonated.

D - this beer was a drain pour for me, but it is rated pretty high because my reviews are as always, objective. I hated the flavor, but it did partially meet the qualifications of the category well.

Pours deep dark reddish brown to black, but looks opaque black once it's in the glass. One-finger light brown head with moderate lacing.

This beer does smell like espresso as you would expect. Heavy roastiness with a coffee grounds aroma. Also some well-toasted bread aroma. None of the anise or licorice aroma you so often get in a big stout.

Taste and feels a bit like a cappucino. Very roasty! Very little hop bitterness. The sweetness and alcohol are balanced primarily by the espresso roast flavors. Milk chocolate flavor too. Earthiness could be hops, but it could be the coffee too. One interesting flavor is a grainy wheat or rice like flavor mixed in that I didn't expect. Not sure what to make of it. For me this flavor detracted a bit from the experience at first, but as I got to the end of the beer I started to see it as a flavor that distinguished this stout from others and I enjoyed it.

Creamy mouthfeel, like a cappucino. Pleasant roast aftertaste. The alcohol is fairly well hidden.

Interesting coffee stout that substitutes for actual coffee nicely for someone like me who no longer drinks coffee but loves coffee aroma and beer.

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The aroma gives off slightly sour bread crust, molasses, and dark roast coffee beans. The tan head is large and frothy; the body is black and opaque. The flavor is predominantly characterized by espresso and alcohol; the overall effect is strangely but distinctly reminiscent of the aged pepper quality of hot sauce. There is an undertone of dark fruit/molasses. Bread crust malt lingers in the finish. The body is medium-full with restrained carbonation.

The espresso, which was actually used, is quite apparent. I love coffee about as much as I love beer, but it's hard to say how well it works in this case. There doesn't seem to be much to taste besides the espresso and the alcohol, the latter of which verges on solventy. I won't say it's overall bad—far from it—but the alcohol and weird hot sauce flavor are a bit too distracting to enjoy the other aspects fully.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Dark chocolate with a tan head.

Smell: First impression is a frappacino not beer. A little chocolate and hint of vanilla. Smell roasted malts and a little yeast.

Taste: A medium to full bodied beer. Starts with a nice a sweet coffee flavor transitioning to a little bitterness (but not overwhelming).

Mouthfeel: Has a slight oily consistency but leaves your mouth feeling dry at the end. Has a fizzy light carbonation.

Not something I would drink often. You need to be in the mood for something other than a normal beer. But if you are looking for something between coffee and beer. I think you would like this.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

-the head dissapeared....
-more imperieal stout smell than espresso, very mild hint of espresson
-great blend of imperial stout and espresso style stouts
-did somebody put water in my beer?
-great imperial just wished it was thicker!

2.47/5  rDev -37.5%

I got this beer from a bottle at Port Royal Lounge in BR. It poured a deep black color with a decent sized head and lacing. The smell was lacking for most Imperial stouts, as I could barely pick up any aroma besides some faint malts. The taste was a strong maltiness followed by a funky bitter flavor, which dominated the aftertaste. I think the coffee flavor was too pronounced, which hid away the taste of the beer itself. The beer had a decent thickness and carbonation, but the aftertaste was awful. I had trouble finishing this beer, and only finished it because of it's cost. It wasn't worth the price, and I probably will not purchase this beer again.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am really starting to have a "thing" for these well built imperial stouts infused with coffee or espresso. Hitachino was next on the list to try. Here goes: pours a deep black with a slight brown tint. Aggressive pour yields a huge, two finger, foamy dark tan head. Decent lacing left on the glass as it slowly recedes. A delicious, espresso aroma wafts from the glass. Not overwhelming by any stretch, but definitely a strong espresso character. It is a perfect balance in taste, a nice bitter espresso taste upfront, that mellows with the sweet malt backbone. Others of this style have a more chocolate malt character to it as well, but that is not the case here. It is not a negative that it lacks that chocolate taste, though, it sits Hitachino apart in a good way, I think. Not quite a as thick as other coffee/espresso stouts either, which makes it dangerously drinkable. In fact, too easy, I am drinking this thing rather easily and enjoying it. At this point, I have enjoyed a number of these imperial coffee stouts for different reasons, in Hitachino's case, it is is its bitter espresso taste, while not overwhelming, but very apparent, and it is lighter, and not to carbonated mouthful.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Pours inky black in my tulip, crowned with 2 fingers of graham cracker colored head. The foam recedes, leaving behind little bubble animals on the ring of the glass.

In the effluvium are faint chocolate and coffee scents

Malty chocolate, bitter hops and roast as well as some iron notes permeate the flavor. Carbonation is spot on and this come across pretty light as far as double stouts go.

The roasted coffee flavor is the dominant aftertaste, earning the brew its espresso title.

Its a good beer for what it is. Glad to have tried it.

3.91/5  rDev -1%

poured at room temperature, its a dark brown almost black with an ever expanding camel coloured foamy head. Low marks here because of some floaties that eventually settled out.
The nose is espresso first, then molasses, dark chocolate and a slight sourness.
The taste is of a nice chared smokiness, then espresso and a subtle fruity yeast. There is a bitterness on the finish that battles nicely against the the srown sugar sweetness.
Its very creamy and the bitterness presence adds a nice layer of richness.
The alcohal is hidden well and there are good flavours here. I very well could be sipping on a cold espresso, but in fact its a 7.5% luxurious coffee bomb.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Shared with mjyoung.

A - An almost black dark brown, typical stout color. Mocha-colored head that dissipated relatively quickly.

S - Coffee aroma, lots of it. Maybe hints of roasted malt, but very little amount.

T - The best way to describe is that it's a cold, carbonated coffee drink. I did not taste much of anything else besides a little bit of malt on the backside.

M - Highly carbonated. Medium to light bodied. I enjoyed the flavor very much; unfortunately, I have to knock the scores down a little bit because the texture was a little watery for the style.

D - Good drinkability. Not a complex beer, but worth a try just because it's so unique.

L:Dark brown head that stays for a bit. The color itself of the beer is a dark black.
S:A very strong dark chocolate. The coffee parts come in to play after awhile with a roasted coffee bean
T:The taste that pops out first for me is dry roasted coffee beans. The chocolate is a sweet maltiness.
M:Even though the beer is cold I think it gives you a nice warm fizziness. Very small finite bubbles do that.
D:Good. I think this is a neat take of stouts done by a Japanese brewer. Very smooth.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

My second Hitachino nest beer, hopefully better than the milk stout. Pours black into a standard pint glass. A couple fingers worth of caramel colored head forms but quickly fades to a solid skimming. Plenty of attractive lacing as it goes down.

Smell is all coffee and quite strong. One quick whiff and your nose is filled with all types of coffee. Roasted coffee beans, freshly brewed coffee, and of course espresso.

Taste is more coffee, no surprise there. Along with the coffee there is a sweet maltiness to help balance things out. No noticeable hop flavor but there is a bit of sourness. Once the beer warms up the flavor really fills out and brings this up another notch. Along with the coffee some bitter chocolate works it's way in.

Mouthfeel is just adequate with this beer. It's not all that thick, but not thin enough to really detract. Carbonation is good and lets the thin amount of head linger for the duration. Drinkability is high with no hint of the slightly higher %ABV. I'm not sure if this beer really fits into the imperial stout category but it's quite enjoyable regardless. A must buy for coffee stout fans.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout from Kiuchi Brewery