2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Espresso StoutHitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

American Double / Imperial Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 07-20-2007)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 656 | Reviews: 362 | Show All Ratings:
milkbaby9

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%

330ml bottle (labeled E.10.02, drank 9-6-2010) into Samuel Adams sensory glass. Pours out a rich dark black brown producing 2 inch creamy tan small bubbled head that sticks around and leaves incredible lacing.

Aroma of dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans, a sweet creaminess. Only a slight "green" aroma from hops betrays this as beer instead of a mocha coffee. However, the chocolate and coffee aromas seemed to diminish as the beer warmed up.

Taste was sweet and lightly fruity entry into a strongly malty body -- a bit roasty, lightly chocolate and coffee. Much more subtle than I expected, especially compared to what you might expect from an American coffee stout. Finishes with a bit of a hoppy bitterness taking over from the roasty bitterness and some maltiness hanging around.

Moderatly low carbonation but not quite as smoothly milkshake as I would've preferred. Medium light body, a little too watery.

Alcohol starts to come through as it warms up, though it still remains pretty smooth and mellow to drink. A bit of a surprise to me as this is much more smooth and mellow than I expected with the coffee character being more subdued and less dominant than I expected. Okay, but not sure I'd pay this much ($4.50/bottle) for it again.

09-13-2010 20:49:52 | More by milkbaby9
ncaudle

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

bottle poured into goblet.

absolutely pitch black with a 2 finger mocha head. left a thick lacing down the sides of the glass.

coffee aroma is not as prevalent as I had hoped. some subdued chocolate, that's about it. there is a slight coffee taste but not enough to really call this an espresso stout imo.

medium thickness leaving a creamy film across the tounge. very easy drinking stout!

10-10-2010 22:47:45 | More by ncaudle
dzni

Maryland

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into snifter.

A - Inky black appearance with a slightly amber head that is thin and lasts merely a few seconds.

S - Burnt caramel, chocolate, roasty, smokey, maybe some very slight dark fruit?

T - Coffee, chocolate

M - Slight carbonation, medium body

D - Medium body, but feels heavy to drink, maybe due to the alcohol content or the big coffee/chocolate flavor. I like this beer and appreciate all of the coffee flavor coming through, but it's a little heavy and intense for me to drink a lot of.

02-27-2010 02:44:55 | More by dzni
Ivanhoes_Backpack

New Brunswick (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bottle ovah tha boahdah (that's my Maine accent) for $4.75 plus about the same amount for duty. Ouch.

Pours a dark brown with minimal head, but a good tan lace around the edges. Smells sweet, dark fruits, dates, chocolate, no coffee smell as one might expect. Smells more like a strong dark ale. Bittersweet chocolate on the palate giving way to a nice bitterness, maybe even a hint of spice and a nice warming feeling on the back of the tongue. A bit rough feeling on the mouth, but otherwise this is pretty darn good beer. Best of Japan, as far as I go. Worth $10 a 12oz bottle? euhh...

04-03-2013 01:01:17 | More by Ivanhoes_Backpack
machalel

Australia

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Oily, dark black-brown with a thick coffee-crema coloured head. Head lasts for a good amount of time, and leaves sticky lacing down the glass.

Aroma: A shot of coffee straight up, followed by some dark chocolate, vanilla, and burnt caramel.

Taste: The first thing that I could taste was a strong, almost creamy, bitterness that quickly dissipated into smooth burnt-caramel / brown-sugar and roasted malt. A very deep and complex palate, but without any of the usual lingering bitterness that espresso stouts often have. This is potentially the best espresso stout that I have tasted yet!

Mouthfeel: Creamy and balanced, with carbonation that matches the style well. Possibly slightly thinner than an Imperial Stout should be, but only if you are thinking about it.

Overall: This is probably the best espresso stout that I have tasted. Where most others leave a lingering sharpness or bitterness on the tongue, this one is very smooth and only traces of espresso remain after swallowing. Creamy and rich, like a good espresso should be, it is quite morish and is one that I will definitely repurchase and introduce to others.

09-22-2012 08:57:50 | More by machalel
JJBlanche

A likable offering from a unique brewery.

A - Black. One finger head. Lacing present.

S - Roastiness, coffee -- very profound.

T - The roastiness/astringency is there in a big way. Appropriate for a beer that calls it espresso stout, but a tad much in my opinion (just a tad).

M - Good. Not too thick, not too light.

D - Suffers in this regard because of the astringency, etc.

A beer worth trying, for sure. Bear in mind that this one lives up to the Espresso moniker, so be prepared for some bitterness/astringency.

03-04-2009 07:46:17 | More by JJBlanche
The3rdbeer

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Bruery Tulip at fridge temperature

A- Poured rather viciously got about 2 1/2 fingers of head at first which is now after a minute settling to aobut a 1/2 a finger now, the head is a lighter dark beige, Opaque.

S- The smell was like a nutty milk chocolate, I don't really get much of anything else in the nose, maybe some lightly burnt toffee notes but not powerful enough to be considered much.

T- It starts off quick with that burnt toffee flavor, the coffee does not stand out much at all, the coffee could be mistaken for the bright bitterness that is apparent after the malt flavors subside, its a surprise for me but its something I could care not to endure, their should of been more coffee if they wanted to call this an "espresso stout" haha espresso would have been better!

M- Light and unsatisfying for this style, ( I want a Mikkeller mouth feel, I want something for my tongue to do when im drinking something, especially as boring as this.

O- Its something I've glad I have tried, so far this is my second Hitachino beer and the previous was better, but neither were that great. I have yet to try their most popular style, but trying a second dud is not helping my motivation.

04-05-2011 04:34:41 | More by The3rdbeer
andrewt960

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

A:dark black in color... dark brown head that stuck around for a few minutes.... but disapeared quickly. lacing was evident and stuck around on the side of the glass for the whole beer.
S: Smelled of dark roasted malt,nutty, coffee, and a typical roasted stout smells. Has an alcohol scent ... but only faint; not over powering. no hops present in the smell.
T: Taste great...has a smooth stout taste... with roasted flavors... definite coffee flavor... espresso... not sure... but definite coffee.
M/D: Mouthfeel is very smooth.... not bitter, and is very drinkable. At 7.5% it's pretty tasty.

05-02-2008 01:19:55 | More by andrewt960
rwathree

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A: opaque, jet black, as it should be. The nice part is the reddish hue of the head, which yields a decent cap and leaves a sticky lace as it settles.

S: coffee aromas are subdued, too much so given what this is supposed to be. That said, smell of chocolate, candied sugar, and hints of vine fruit and booze, makes for a nice combo. Appetizing, but not what I was hoping for.

T: no mistaking the coffee here, though. Strong, earthy espresso flavor with chicory, smoke, and chocolatey sweetness. Nice.

M: solid. Bubbly enough to refresh, and quite creamy.

O: there's a spot in town that makes a New Orleans-style coffee, and the chicory notes I get here make this the beer version of that for me. Nothing's blowing my mind; just a strong interpretation of the style, which is what I expect from Kiuchi.

12-15-2011 02:37:48 | More by rwathree
circlenine

Connecticut

2.15/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured out of an 11.2 oz. bottle into a chalice.

A: This beer poured a nice dark brown, nearly black color with a decently thick light brown/tan head that lingered, slowly dissipating into the brew.

S: There was a slight at best coffee/espresso aroma to this brew.

T: No flavor or depth to the beer. The taste was extremely bitter and was gone immediately upon swallowing.

M: Although there was a nice head on the beer, drinking it gave the sense that very little carbonation was present.

D: At first, I found the lack of flavor annoying, but I persevered. As I continued through half the glass the bitterness was overpowering, leaving an almost metallic taste in my mouth - as if I had been licking stainless steel. I finished the bottle, but it was extremely difficult.

Note: I am left to wonder how long this beer sat around at the liquor store before I picked her up. It seemed too awful to be fresh. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can bring myself to purchase another as if it is a fresh/lack thereof issue, I will have no way of knowing where the others on the shelf fall on the freshness scale.

12-01-2010 05:46:05 | More by circlenine
alexwag

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

This is a good looking beer. Dark as a dark night on a moonless night. Enormous head, rich and coffee-tinted, that has tremendously all-encompassing lacing and lasts forever -- never seen anything like it. Smells deep, rich and vibrant. Tastes creamy, smooth and dark and malty, roasted and sweet. This is a good tasting beer. Thickens up as it warms and becomes perhaps a little too much, but can't hold it against it as a real malt bomb. Better somewhat chilled. A great brew, though could do with some hops to balance the sweetness.

01-09-2008 00:52:02 | More by alexwag
SteveTheDog

First let me just say that I think the serving size of this beer is perfect and of course love the look of the bottle. That said, I love a good stout where when you stare into it, it reminds me of looking straight down in the ocean after a drop off - can't see crap, very curious, a little scared. The smell, even in a snifter, was actually kinda understated, which is ok because the taste more than made up for it. It was like drinking some of those really dark chocolate covered espresso beans. As an aside, I wonder if this would be a good beer to drink with a cold because the smell is negligible, at least to me. And alcohol kills bacteria I believe. It finished nice and smooth. I love this beer - I'll have it again and again.

01-27-2014 00:01:28 | More by SteveTheDog
Aaron420

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very very very deep black, I am talking black as night. With a nice stack of about two fingers worth of dark tan head covering the top of this deep black stout on pouring. It has the smell of a fresh cup of coffee from your local coffee shop, I am not talking about Starbucks, but your local shop. But with a hint of alcohol. Now to the taste category, it is very smooth for such a dark beer. The espresso flavor sticks out but not to the point of becoming to bitter to be drinkable. It is very drinkable for being a coffee stout. Not to bitter but also not to sweet. Upon finishing this one I defiantly had the urge to head back to the beer store and get another.

02-15-2010 02:14:40 | More by Aaron420
hickmancase

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle from my first trip to Bruery Provisions with my buddy Rick.

A: Dark. Dark, three finger, espresso bubble colored head. Thicker than most stouts.

S: Coffee

T: Carbonated cold espresso. If it was an espresso it would be too weak, but for a beer... Damn! Delicious!

M: Thick. Perfect carbonation.

D: Made me hyper not buzzed. Excellent! But 5.49 for a 12 ouncer?

Similar to other coffee stouts.

8/10

02-01-2011 23:50:13 | More by hickmancase
hopmonkey

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

I disliked this beer. Overpowering coffee notes and flavor. The bitterness is not balanced by some needed sweetness. Like drinking a beer with the remnants of yesterday's French press added. I was so prepared to like this beer. And I feel like it is actually close to being good, but it needs a complex sweetness to counter the grainy, earthy coffee presentation.

12-15-2008 23:56:13 | More by hopmonkey
GinaBeerInc

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Had it at a Rock concert in Los Angeles, perfect beer for the occasion. Pours a black colour with a thick beige head. Aroma of rich espresso coffee with some vanilla notes. Rich flavour of espresso, roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla and some bitter hops in the background which I enjoyed. Light vegetable notes. Full bodied, soft carbonation and a long finish with some robustness and coffee. Very well balanced, could't ask for anything else.

02-06-2012 19:19:04 | More by GinaBeerInc
libbekat

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

I love this beer! It is like crack cocaine, very addictive. Espresso and Beer, 2 of my favorite things in life, in a single beer.
This is a beauty of a pour, dark and slighly short of syrupy, in a good way. It is thick but does not fill your mouth, like a Guinness does.
The head is toffee brown, dark caramel color. It does taste like espresso, nit an imitation type either. There is no hint of artificial flavoring at all.
I would drink this by itself or with a dessert. It might even go well with a filet, covered with red onions in a port reduction and stilton cheese. In other words: sweet but tart and a hint of bitter.

04-28-2008 16:37:54 | More by libbekat
apowar

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours pitch black with a dense, one inch tan-brown head I'm just so surprised by how dark this pours! Holding the glass up to the light allows absolutely no light through--entirely opaque.

Nose is a mixture of bittersweet chocolate, espresso, tobacco and a touch of nuttiness--maybe hazelnut?

The flavor profile opens with a bit of bitterness, roasted malt, mocha and chocolote and develops into a slightly sour, strong espresso brew with a bit of anice coming through as it warms up. It finishes with chicory, a strong roasted flavor, and moderate bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a surprisingly persistent carbonation, despite my concern based on other reviews.

Overall, pretty solid beer! I'm looking for a fuller flavor from an imperial stout, but even so, it maintained a reasonable complexity.

04-14-2009 03:47:55 | More by apowar
Swongler

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I feel like I was more impressed by this stout than most people. Very damn good.

A - Dark brown coffee color with a very porous and impressive white-brown head.

S - Typical stout smell layered with a little cacao, coffee, and vanilla. Does not smell very alcoholic. Smells more like a post-dinner beverage than a beer.

T - My favorite part of this beer. Definitely the most important part. While called espresso stout, the espresso does not overpower the rest of the beer. Actually quite mild. Has a little flavor of unsweetened/baking chocolate as well as a little bit of a chili pepper taste. Nicely balanced and the alcohol is hidden. Coffee, not espresso, on the back end.

M - Not too heavy for a beer as dark as this. Bites your tongue just a little. Feels okay.

O - I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Thought I was getting solid stout, and I got something more. I went back the same day and bought the last remaining bottle. I suspect I will be drinking this again in the near future.

10-23-2013 16:48:28 | More by Swongler
StoutKing0104

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

This is my first Japanese beer and I think I chose a winner.

A - A pretty hard pour delivers a black body with about a half finger worth of deep mocha head. The head sibsides fairly quickly leaving decent lacing. This lacing gets better as the beer goes down.

S - Immediately hit with storng espresso and coffee aromas, then roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a little smoke.

T - NOse doesn't lie, a strong taste of black coffee and espresso bean which is countered nicely by the dark chocolate. There is also roasted malt with a little smokey effect.

F - Moderate carbonation tingles the tongue and brings out the full flavor of the espresso bean. The brew flows fairly smoothly over the pallet but the can sting a little if held too long on the tongue.

D - A terrific stout with nicely balanced coffee and chocolate flavors. Makes for a very nice, and delicious, drinking brew. I recommend that everyone should try this one.

09-29-2010 03:27:43 | More by StoutKing0104
Diesel76

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Nice thick dark pout. Thick head which slowly disapates. I smell and taste hints of chocolate, but no espresso. Go figure, but still a great stout... thick and flavorful. Still has great taste and aroma for not having any hint of the Espresso name... Honestly surprised this was a Japaneese beer. Hai!

07-22-2011 02:10:35 | More by Diesel76
pimpinmidget

3.96/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours black with a nice finger of tan head that sticks

S: Coffee, chocolate, slight roast malt

T: Chocolate upfront with the coffee/espresso coming in right behind it and staying throughout. Nice balance.

M: Medium bodied, nice and smooth. Has a creaminess texture to it. Decent carbonation and almost no alcohol taste at all.

O: Really enjoyed this one. While nothing about it blew my socks off; it was just nice all around. Well done. Will be drinking this one again.

11-10-2013 11:54:50 | More by pimpinmidget
guthrie

Wisconsin

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer is pretty nice...pours black - very little light goes through when the glass is held up to light. A fine milk-chocolate colored dissipates quickly with a little sticking to the glass. The smell is coffee...with a boozy hint of...how do i describe it...Bailey's? It's nice whatever it is. And that's what the taste is like too. Maybe I'm getting a little chocolate in there. A little bit of a bite in the back of the throat from the alcohol. I wish I had vanilla ice cream to try pouring a bit of this on there.
It's nice, but I don't think I could have more than one of these.
Definetely a must try for fans of the style.

04-25-2008 00:55:54 | More by guthrie
BS-

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a highball glass

A: Pitch black with a rich, dark gold head that settled at about 1-2mm. Decent lacing.

S: Lots of coffee with some chocolaty sweetness and soya sauce-esque scents.

T: Deep coffee notes with touches of chocolate and a slight maltiness. Slight touch of citrus can be detected. Aftertaste is mostly sweet and chocolaty with hints of citrus.

M: Decent to thick with slight carbonation.

O: A very nice stout. Very mellow and quite balanced without getting boring. Very comforting aftertaste. Definitely a beer I would have more of.

10-02-2012 13:16:43 | More by BS-
robby23

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +13%

This was my first coffee stout beer and i have to say it was pretty good. What impressed me was the heaviness of the beer along with the smoothness. The second was the smell it smelled like coffee and like a good stout all at the same time, neither of which over powered the the other. Overall as this was my first coffee stout it was a great entry beer in my mind to get someone into this kind of style.

04-12-2013 02:11:07 | More by robby23