Hitachino Nest Commemorative Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

Eisbock |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: czechsaaz on 12-24-2007

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smells of toffee and prunes.

Flavor is led by dark fruit, with raisins and prune tartness underlying a light sweetness that becomes dry mid palate and finishes bitter and herbal. Good amount of alcohol heat.

Certainly not an eisbock in the traditional sense, and a little more one-note and bitter than I prefer.

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I see a hazy honey coloured brew that brings almost a 2 finger head of foam. Lacing is you betchya!

The nose is pretty festive. I get some nutmeg(a fav of mine in winter brews), coriander, some grape like fruitiness, all on the malty and fruity side and nay to any bitter notes.

Nutmeg and a sweetish malt flavour that reminds me of the lovely oxidation you get in a UK barleywine or old ale is first up for me. I do get some coriander and some other spiciness that doesn't strike me so hot. Now there's a strange bitterness that creeps in in the finish. It really started off great but...

Medium body, lightish carbonation.

Bottom line, it's strong and pretty good overall. I had higher hopes based on my first sips.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.23/5  rDev +13.1%

2014 Vintage: I must say that I admire Hitachino Nest’s work as a brewery - they always seem to strive for unique styles and brews, this time we will have a go of their Commemorative Ale as it is a special occasion for me (my weekend begins now). First off I love the label - very reminiscent of Hokusai (one of my top 10 favourite artists). There is no description for the style of this Ale but with ingredients such as Orange Peel, Coriander, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and Vanilla Beans I’m going to categorise it as a Festive Witbier.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy deep copper body with a thin off-white lace ring around the glass. It appears quite dense and lush, I’m really looking forward to the first sip. 9/10.

S: Very nice, festive and spicy with all the above noted ingredients: Orange Peel, Coriander, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and Vanilla Beans - plus some dark fruits (plum, date, macerated dark cherries). The whole aroma gives of a Christmas fruit cake fragrance. 8/10.

T: Sensational! This is one Christmas fruit cake beer not to be trifled with! Festive puns aside there is a hell of a lot going on with this brew - Orange Peel, Coriander, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Vanilla Beans (yes, yes, yes and yes), plus those dark fruits and a truckload of molasses that sticks to your mouth. It finishes with a slight herbal hop note and a touch of spirit burn at the back of the throat. It has to be one of the most aggressively flavoured/balanced beers at 8% ABV that I’ve ever had, fantastic! 9/10.

M: Heavy bodied with some stickiness from that molasses and a dense but light carbonation. 8/10.

D: The more I drank the more hop bitterness came to the fore, it’s a minor distraction from this Festive Witbiers overall score. As far as the flavours go this is a beer that would give some of the Trappist brews a run for their money - it is a BIG, hairy, challenging Ale with finesse that is not often seen (or tasted) outside of Belgium. Hitachino Nest have once again shown just how much the Japanese craft brewers can be players in this large boutique beer world. Kampai! 8/10.

Food match: I would recommend this brew after that big traditional Christmas dinner but before or with that traditional Christmas pudding.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

3.64/5  rDev -2.7%

4.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2013 Commemorative Ale.

Pours out a copper orang with a thin, frothy, off-white head. Spicing is subtle in the nose. I get mostly citrus-related notes: the coriander and orange peel. I also pick up a lot of caramel. Reminds me of a winter release of a typical biere de garde. Flavor is loads of caramel, orange, bread, honey, lightly toasted grains, with a fairly mild yeast character. Cocoa in the finish. Mouthfeel is silky and a bit sticky. I really enjoyed this, and it reminds me of some French bieres de garde that are released around the holidays. I should have saved this for Thanksgiving dinner; it would have gone perfectly with it.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours a hazy copper color with a 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Smell is very nice, caramel, orange, grassy hops, and spice.

T: Up front is huge nutmeg and caramel, light citrus and bready yeast, a fairly strong hop presence.

M: Mouth feel is a bit strange the beer pours fairly thick but it feels very light, light carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

O: Definitely different, this was my first beer from this brewery and it has me wanting to try more.

4.04/5  rDev +8%