Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website

Milk / Sweet Stout |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-01-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) Alström Bros
1.16/5  rDev -61.8%

I have to say up-front that, compared to the other reviews of this beer, I suspect I have a sour bottle. Still, the review stands - if Kiuchi is going to ship sour beer, then I'll review the sour beer.

The appearance is *very* dark, with a tiny brown head that fades before you can put down the bottle. The nose is of the brine from green olives -- seriously! The taste is similar, dominated by a sourness and I could swear a bit of saltiness. I can barely make out some burnt maltiness.

I'm a fan of sweet stouts for their almost syrupy texture. This beer doesn't have any of that - it's very thin. This is consistent with a soured batch, as lots of critters other than S. Cervesiae will happily devour lactose.

I'm not sure I'll finish this bottle, and I'm certainly not tempted to buy another, so I can't give it anything above "Awful" in the drinkability category.

1.2/5  rDev -60.5%

Poured a deep, murky brown/black with a small, creamy, tan head that lingered.

The aroma was absolutely awful. Olive brine, cola, sour milk and feces (and no, I am not kidding) were all noticeable.

The beer tasted like salty water with with a pinch of roasted barley. A sweet stout? Was this a joke?

Mouthfeel was terrible. "Thin" would be a complete understatement.

This was unquestionably the worst beer I had ever drunk. Worst of all, I paid $3.60 for this bottle of swill.

1.36/5  rDev -55.3%

Poured into an Ommegang chalice.

A-Black beer, carbonation is as minimal as is the head, which is really just a ring around the glass. Hmmmm...
S-Black coffee, roasted coffee malts...smells very tannic....sour aroma, too....
T-I've heard good things about this beer, but I'm disappointed with it. There is a sourness, an unending sourness to the taste and aftertaste of this beer: this can't be intentional, can it? I've tried it about 6 months ago: sour city. Then I got this beer from a totally different geography, yet have the same results: wicked sour; too sour to drink. Like sour vinegar... a drain pour, (or, in my case, a porch pour...)
M-Bad. Tied in with the taste of course.... and too thin for a stout, even a lacto milk stout IMHO...
D-This beer was a bad experience for me. Undrinkable.

CRUX: Obviously this isn't the same beer others have raved about...great bottle label graphics, though...

1.52/5  rDev -50%

Poured from 330ml bottle into snifter.
Bottle code: "SS.8.6"

Aroma: Rusty metal transitions to cabernet, molasses, and dark chocolate. Aromatics improve over time, but I was a bit nervous after smelling this beer.

Appearance: One finger of light tan lacing falls quickly. Dark brown body, with some clear visibility around the edges.

Flavor: Wow... Something went horribly wrong with this one. Tastes like some kind of cleaning solution (Mop & Glo?, though I've admittedly never imbibed it) up front and then blood. Once the malt starts showing up, the flavor is as if someone cut the beer with some water, and squeezed-in few drops of lemon juice.

Mouthfeel: Very light & watery. Medium-low carbonation.

Overall: In one word: "Drainpour". The only thing worse than the thought of having paid $5.50 for this bottle was the thought of actually finishing the whole thing. I don't dole out Fs very often, but this is, regrettably, one of the worst beers I've ever had. It's way off the reservation style-wise, and can't possibly be what the brewer envisioned. Avoid!

1.54/5  rDev -49.3%

This review is from my notes of a previous tasting. I'm entering it because I've entered a number of very favorble reviews, and believe it's important to also include reviews of brews that "aren't so hot."
This beer has a reasonably nice appearance. Deep brown, though too light for a stout. Weak head vanished immediately, with no lace to speak of.
Aroma is acidic and overwhelmed by an extremely earthy, mineral and "spoiled milk" nose.
Taste: compared to a Mackeson's, Sam Adams CS or St. Peter's CS, the lacto factor is way, WAY out of balance for me. Extremely earthy (dirt), and an almost stinging acidity. I've traveled quite extensively in the far east, and so I tried very hard to be sensitive to cultural differences in "taste" in this review, but it's hard for me to believe this is something the masses anywhere are clamoring for.
Mouthfeel is way too thin and watery for a stout.
Drinkability: I'm sorry to say I finally poured this beer out (I do that maybe once a year, tops). I gave this tasting numerous chances, letting it warm up, etc... but for my taste, this brew is nearly offensive.

1.65/5  rDev -45.7%

A- poured a coffee like black color, creamish brown colored head that reduced very quickly and didnt lace well either

S- very faint sweet malty smell, very faint, barely noticable

T- pretty damn bad, faint sweet taste, a little milky sourness to it as welll

M- doesnt coat the mouth in that special way that stouts do, I know milk stouts are a little lighter, but not this light, way too fizzy and carbonated

D- would not buy this beer again, incredibly dissapointed, can't believe this was recommended to me, I would hope their other beers are better

1.79/5  rDev -41.1%

ok first off this is the 24oz bottles and i was totally hyped on the bottle, it looks cool as hell. it pours dark brown, not black and with really no head to speak of. the smell is somewhat modest and contains cocoa, malt and has an odd spoiled milk smell. taste wise? ugh. talk about a let down. it honestly tastes like crap. sure theres malty chocolate notes but theyre smashed by the odd taste of rotten milk. it grossed me the f**k out. i mean im always one to finish a beer no matter how bad, but 3/4 of the way through this, down the drain it went. it was crisp but thin and not what youd expect from a stout. total bummer and expensive. not gona hit this one up again, ever.

1.81/5  rDev -40.5%

11.2 oz bottle. No freshness date.

Dark mahogany with a small tanish head.

Aroma is kind of boozy for something this low in alc.
Chocolate, toffee, milk.

Flavor is prunes, coffee and sour milk.

Finish is sour and slightly acidic. Not something I would waste my money on again.

1.82/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottled 5/2012. 4% ABV per the label.

Pours an almost opaque super dark crimson-brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Thin streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour with roasted malt, cocoa, and fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with sour roast, cocoa, char, metallic, and funk flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty horrible beer with sour and funky characteristics in both the smell and taste that basically make this one undrinkable.

Serving type: bottle.

1.83/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Hitochino Nest - 21oz format

Pour a thin black/brown with a thin tan head.

Nose is light plum with hints of light black coffee. Pleasant plum character.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with little character.

Flavors are watered plum sugared black tea with a hint of citrus. Flavor are weak and watered and with little character. This one has a "sour" character but it's not a bad bottle; it seems to be part of the "sweet/lacto" profile.

Finish is a watery plum soda character.

No need to try again. More soda pop character than beer. Little to define it as stout, other than perhaps the color which is giving it the benefit of the doubt.

1.88/5  rDev -38.2%

Appearance: Pours a black, cola-like body with a bubbly, quickly dissipating tan head.

Smell: Weak aroma of watered down old milk. This does not bode well at all.

Taste: A very odd junction of random flavors here. Sour apples, lime juice, and a near virulent metallic taste, with a lactic acid finish suggestive of a lambic, or even spoiled Worchestershire sauce. No real malts or hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Extremely thin-bodied. Neither full or creamy and totally lacking in body. How very upsetting.

Drinkability: This one was a complete bust, unfortunately. There are far better examples of this style, and I'd wager most could be had for far cheaper than this one. If you must insist on trying this one get the smaller size.

1.9/5  rDev -37.5%

Well well well...what do we have here. I've had good success with this brewer so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, considering I've never had a stout from Asia.

Poured into a tulip it forms a solid head that dissapears rather fast. Dark body and mild to no carbonation.

Its milky alright...but not in a good way. Watered down taste. It is what you would expect from a stout, in that it has some charred malts, although very light in this brew. Chocolate is barely present.

Notes: Ehhh for the price I'd avoid this forever.

1.92/5  rDev -36.8%

A- deep dark ebony with rosewood highlights. Foamy fizzly khaki colored head is lively as it settles and holds at a thick disk with some minor spotty lace.

S- mild aroma with coffee, cocoa, and a tart lactic strawberries and balsamic vinegar edge. Almost lemony in a way. Not bad tho. Not very complex either.

T- sweet stout my ass. This is like coffee with a shot of vinegar in it. Not working for me at all. Finishes with the same odd combination of flavor.

MF- on the light end of medium and fizzy. Like a dry Irish stout. Scratchy feeling.

D- the opposite of what I expected, not at all like a milk stout. The sourness with the roasted grains is a bad combination in my opinion. I don't think I can finish this one.

1.93/5  rDev -36.5%

Remember when the Japanese could mimic any current or new technology and then figure out a way to make it cheaper and better? Well, it didn't happen here. What the hell were they thinking? Milk sugar in a beer? Was this an attempt to bring back distant memories, or should I say “mammaries”, of our early childhood? This tar colored concoction is really weird! A sour off kilter chocolate taste stands out followed by a hint of camphor and pasty malt. There are hops somewhere but if I'm not mistaken, tastes like old apple juice. The smell is strange as well - a cross between chocolate and sour balls candy. The head disappeared too quickly for me ponder their existence, but I was distracted trying to contemplate what the heck I was drinking.

1.96/5  rDev -35.5%

Presentation: 12oz short brown bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Near pitch black beer with dark brown hues and a clinging tan laced head -- good retention.

Smell: "Thick" smelling, milky, sugary ...

Taste: Fizzy mouthfeel, sharp sour flavours (from the lacto), acidic, coarse, dry malts, little sweetness except for hints of chocolate and a dextrin body. Thin, light milky consistency. Apple, pear and earth. Any hop bitterness is masked by the lacto characters and an astringent roasted flavours. Finish leaves an oddness on the palate.

Notes: Kiuchi Brewery produces some outstanding beers, but this is not one of them. There's nothing "sweet" about this beer. It's horribly balanced and the use of lacto in this beer is abusive and overwhelming to the point of making it nearly undrinkable.

2.01/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Appearance: Silky pour texture. Appears very dark in the glass, on the side of a heavy brown over a pitch blackness. Thin lacing throughout. Very low carbonation.

Smell: I thought the lacto sugar added in this brew came off very abrasive. Incredibly tart and bitter, made me hesitate taking a drink. Some decent malt and dark fruit, but the offensive sugar accents make this very undesirable.

Taste: The sugar accents are better here but still not great. A decent malt caramel front of this beer gets quickly taken over by a heavy creamy, milk, daily, and cheap sugar. But despite what is in this beer the body is way too light. The lingering tacky sugar presence creates a less then enjoyable aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light with a artificial sugar feeling. Not great.

Overall: I was really disappointed with this brew. I didn't really have high expectations and those were definitely not close to being met. But I've enjoyed the other Kiuchi beers so I won't hold this miss against them.

2.02/5  rDev -33.6%

A - a good bit of Ted on the edge, but huge rootbeer like bubbles in the otherwise creamy head.

S - stout like, but bitter and almost a hint of sour.

T - no. There is a sweetness to it, but the flavor is bad. It's like the mystery Japanese snack that you wonder why they sell.

M - mild coating and bubble burn.

D - pass.

2.07/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

There’s something very off about the aroma. It’s tart, acidic, and funky. There’s light roasted notes and some sweetness, but it’s drowned out by the former. It doesn’t look bad though. Very dark brown, with lighter tinges on the edges with a light brown head that dissipates fast and leaves nothing. The funk doesn’t really show itself much at all on the taste. Light roasted notes, a bit of milky sweetness, and possibly a hint of chocolate. The feel is creamy, but jeeze is it thin. There’s just not much substance to it. Overall, it’s a mess, and I’m glad I only paid a dollar for it on clearance.

2.11/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured into pint...

A: pours an opaque, deep murky dark brown with some light coming through around the edges, topped by a big latte color head, which fades pretty quick to a thin creamy layer, and leaves no lacing

S: chocolate chip cookies, dark chocolate with oranges, and maple syrup, with a mettallic caramel and burnt sugar aroma. very cloying

T: upfront a coca cola sweetness, with chocolate cake, and overly rich sweetness, with a woodsy, sweet red wine finish.

M: light-medium body, way too light for the style and my liking, light carbonation, and off dry finish

Overall, not what I expected from a sweet stout. Off-putting sweetness plagues this one from aroma to taste to finish. Glad I only got one, as I would not want another

2.12/5  rDev -30.3%

This poured out with way too much head. It took quite a while to get the whole bottle in a 16oz glass. The body was black with a huge light tan head that dies fairly quickly and left some scattered lace in its wake. A bit of cream in the nose and an odd sourness, overall a weak unappealing smell. Taste is similar to soda with an off sour taste and a cream presence as well. Body was about medium with no notable qualities. Crap for drinkability considering the offness of the smell and taste. Not something I wish to try again and a huge let down considering how excellent their celebration ale is.

2.13/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a deep ruby brown almost opaque, with a moccha highly carbonated fizzy two fingered head, and from my pour is leaving no lace at all. The aroma is a sharp slightly acidic sweetness, this is my first time grappling with a milk or cream stout so here it goes. Underneath of the harsh sourness are light coffe tones and dark chocolate from the dark roasted barley malt. The flavor at first seems a bit offensive from the rush of acidity, but I think it's growing on me after my fourth sip a little. The light flavors in the background from the dark roasted malts are definitely overshadowed from the sourness in the flavor creating an unbalance that doesn't form a happy experience with me. Nice to try a stout from a Japan micro, but I will try the Hitachino Nest wit and wheat before I count them off as bad brewers. The overall mouthfeel is a bit thin for this lucious style of a stout, and I just can't get down with this beer on any level. Drinkability is low due to the fact that the sourness overbears the rest of the characteristics of the beer therefore ruining the pleasures this beer has to offer.

2.14/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Body is deep cola brown. The head fizzled out before I was even done pouring. I got some light colored chunks in mine as well. This looks like a pop rather than a beer, the consistency looks like water.

S- Well at least it smells like beer, as mild as it may be. Smells a bit like sour milk actually. The roasty aromas are so mild and really difficult to pull out. There's a bit of chocolate as well.

T- Again, it's just so plain and boring. Nothing really stands out. Just like the nose.

M- I just can't get over how thin this is, feels absolutely nothing like how this style should be.

D- It's to bad I got 3 more of these, I won't be drinking them.

2.16/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Share a bottle with my wife the other night. This beer was a HUGE disappointment. Beer is black and still, no carbonation no head no lacing, nothing. Bummer.

Aroma is a roasty, sweetness. Smells fine.

Beer is way too thin, almost no flavor, the primary flavor is ashy and dirty. There is a minimal sweetness up front but I really dislike this beer.

2.17/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: squatty 33cl bottle. No best before date noted, but they do have one of the most detailed ingredient list on a beer bottle ever, but no mention of hops.

Brewed with pale, crystal, caramel malt and authentic Lactose(milk sugar, 10% of grain bill) which is added about 10 min before end of boil.

Appearance ? Poured a pitch black color. Small head formed with a fairly strong pour, but dissapated fairly quickly.

Smell ? There really isn't that much in the smell. Had some sort of weird funky staleness, sourness, and a very faint roasted malt smell.

Taste ? This beer definitely has some tang, and notin a good way. Bad sourness ever present during the entire taste. It overpowered the malt and any sort of sweetness it was suppose to have. Hop bitterness comes out near the end and finishes with a coffee-like flavor.

Mouthfeel ? I thought the body was good and so was the mouthfeel, but the flavor was pretty gross.

Drinkability ? nasty sourness makes this a nasty beer. Could be a bad bottle.

2.19/5  rDev -28%

Pours black into a pint glass with no head and no lacing. Smells really funky. Lots of sourness, that's about it for the nose. Taste is sour as well, with some dry cocoa in the finish. The cocoa is the only redeeming quality in my opinion. Body is average at best with a bit too much carbonation. Funky, yet boring stout. I have no desire to ever drink this again.

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) from Kiuchi Brewery