Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) - Kiuchi Brewery

Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto)

poor

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Milk / Sweet Stout |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout (Lacto) Alström Bros

Tictactisag, Jul 12, 2014

BrooklynPanch, Jan 19, 2014

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013
1.15/5  rDev -62%

I have to say up-front that, compared to the other reviews of this beer, I suspect I have a sour bottle. Still, the review stands - if Kiuchi is going to ship sour beer, then I'll review the sour beer.

The appearance is *very* dark, with a tiny brown head that fades before you can put down the bottle. The nose is of the brine from green olives -- seriously! The taste is similar, dominated by a sourness and I could swear a bit of saltiness. I can barely make out some burnt maltiness.

I'm a fan of sweet stouts for their almost syrupy texture. This beer doesn't have any of that - it's very thin. This is consistent with a soured batch, as lots of critters other than S. Cervesiae will happily devour lactose.

I'm not sure I'll finish this bottle, and I'm certainly not tempted to buy another, so I can't give it anything above "Awful" in the drinkability category.

djmitche, Dec 01, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -61.1%

Poured a deep, murky brown/black with a small, creamy, tan head that lingered.

The aroma was absolutely awful. Olive brine, cola, sour milk and feces (and no, I am not kidding) were all noticeable.

The beer tasted like salty water with with a pinch of roasted barley. A sweet stout? Was this a joke?

Mouthfeel was terrible. "Thin" would be a complete understatement.

This was unquestionably the worst beer I had ever drunk. Worst of all, I paid $3.60 for this bottle of swill.

Damian, Aug 12, 2006
1.3/5  rDev -57.1%

Poured into an Ommegang chalice.

A-Black beer, carbonation is as minimal as is the head, which is really just a ring around the glass. Hmmmm...
S-Black coffee, roasted coffee malts...smells very tannic....sour aroma, too....
T-I've heard good things about this beer, but I'm disappointed with it. There is a sourness, an unending sourness to the taste and aftertaste of this beer: this can't be intentional, can it? I've tried it about 6 months ago: sour city. Then I got this beer from a totally different geography, yet have the same results: wicked sour; too sour to drink. Like sour vinegar... a drain pour, (or, in my case, a porch pour...)
M-Bad. Tied in with the taste of course.... and too thin for a stout, even a lacto milk stout IMHO...
D-This beer was a bad experience for me. Undrinkable.

CRUX: Obviously this isn't the same beer others have raved about...great bottle label graphics, though...

soultrain, Jun 20, 2006
1.45/5  rDev -52.1%

Poured from 330ml bottle into snifter.
Bottle code: "SS.8.6"

Aroma: Rusty metal transitions to cabernet, molasses, and dark chocolate. Aromatics improve over time, but I was a bit nervous after smelling this beer.

Appearance: One finger of light tan lacing falls quickly. Dark brown body, with some clear visibility around the edges.

Flavor: Wow... Something went horribly wrong with this one. Tastes like some kind of cleaning solution (Mop & Glo?, though I've admittedly never imbibed it) up front and then blood. Once the malt starts showing up, the flavor is as if someone cut the beer with some water, and squeezed-in few drops of lemon juice.

Mouthfeel: Very light & watery. Medium-low carbonation.

Overall: In one word: "Drainpour". The only thing worse than the thought of having paid $5.50 for this bottle was the thought of actually finishing the whole thing. I don't dole out Fs very often, but this is, regrettably, one of the worst beers I've ever had. It's way off the reservation style-wise, and can't possibly be what the brewer envisioned. Avoid!

mdvatab, Sep 01, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -51.2%

This review is from my notes of a previous tasting. I'm entering it because I've entered a number of very favorble reviews, and believe it's important to also include reviews of brews that "aren't so hot."
This beer has a reasonably nice appearance. Deep brown, though too light for a stout. Weak head vanished immediately, with no lace to speak of.
Aroma is acidic and overwhelmed by an extremely earthy, mineral and "spoiled milk" nose.
Taste: compared to a Mackeson's, Sam Adams CS or St. Peter's CS, the lacto factor is way, WAY out of balance for me. Extremely earthy (dirt), and an almost stinging acidity. I've traveled quite extensively in the far east, and so I tried very hard to be sensitive to cultural differences in "taste" in this review, but it's hard for me to believe this is something the masses anywhere are clamoring for.
Mouthfeel is way too thin and watery for a stout.
Drinkability: I'm sorry to say I finally poured this beer out (I do that maybe once a year, tops). I gave this tasting numerous chances, letting it warm up, etc... but for my taste, this brew is nearly offensive.

DagFishHead, Oct 26, 2003
1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

ChuckS, Mar 10, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

Grebdioz, Dec 27, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -46.2%

A- poured a coffee like black color, creamish brown colored head that reduced very quickly and didnt lace well either

S- very faint sweet malty smell, very faint, barely noticable

T- pretty damn bad, faint sweet taste, a little milky sourness to it as welll

M- doesnt coat the mouth in that special way that stouts do, I know milk stouts are a little lighter, but not this light, way too fizzy and carbonated

D- would not buy this beer again, incredibly dissapointed, can't believe this was recommended to me, I would hope their other beers are better

gonzo138, Sep 27, 2006
1.78/5  rDev -41.3%

ok first off this is the 24oz bottles and i was totally hyped on the bottle, it looks cool as hell. it pours dark brown, not black and with really no head to speak of. the smell is somewhat modest and contains cocoa, malt and has an odd spoiled milk smell. taste wise? ugh. talk about a let down. it honestly tastes like crap. sure theres malty chocolate notes but theyre smashed by the odd taste of rotten milk. it grossed me the f**k out. i mean im always one to finish a beer no matter how bad, but 3/4 of the way through this, down the drain it went. it was crisp but thin and not what youd expect from a stout. total bummer and expensive. not gona hit this one up again, ever.

DESTRO, Nov 24, 2003

Hitochino Nest - 21oz format

Pour a thin black/brown with a thin tan head.

Nose is light plum with hints of light black coffee. Pleasant plum character.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with little character.

Flavors are watered plum sugared black tea with a hint of citrus. Flavor are weak and watered and with little character. This one has a "sour" character but it's not a bad bottle; it seems to be part of the "sweet/lacto" profile.

Finish is a watery plum soda character.

No need to try again. More soda pop character than beer. Little to define it as stout, other than perhaps the color which is giving it the benefit of the doubt.

GRG1313, Dec 24, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -41.3%

11.2 oz bottle. No freshness date.

Dark mahogany with a small tanish head.

Aroma is kind of boozy for something this low in alc.
Chocolate, toffee, milk.

Flavor is prunes, coffee and sour milk.

Finish is sour and slightly acidic. Not something I would waste my money on again.

Padron4KM, Oct 15, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance: Pours a black, cola-like body with a bubbly, quickly dissipating tan head.

Smell: Weak aroma of watered down old milk. This does not bode well at all.

Taste: A very odd junction of random flavors here. Sour apples, lime juice, and a near virulent metallic taste, with a lactic acid finish suggestive of a lambic, or even spoiled Worchestershire sauce. No real malts or hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Extremely thin-bodied. Neither full or creamy and totally lacking in body. How very upsetting.

Drinkability: This one was a complete bust, unfortunately. There are far better examples of this style, and I'd wager most could be had for far cheaper than this one. If you must insist on trying this one get the smaller size.

ChainGangGuy, Dec 04, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -38%

Presentation: 12oz short brown bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Near pitch black beer with dark brown hues and a clinging tan laced head -- good retention.

Smell: "Thick" smelling, milky, sugary ...

Taste: Fizzy mouthfeel, sharp sour flavours (from the lacto), acidic, coarse, dry malts, little sweetness except for hints of chocolate and a dextrin body. Thin, light milky consistency. Apple, pear and earth. Any hop bitterness is masked by the lacto characters and an astringent roasted flavours. Finish leaves an oddness on the palate.

Notes: Kiuchi Brewery produces some outstanding beers, but this is not one of them. There's nothing "sweet" about this beer. It's horribly balanced and the use of lacto in this beer is abusive and overwhelming to the point of making it nearly undrinkable.

Todd, Sep 08, 2002
1.88/5  rDev -38%

A- deep dark ebony with rosewood highlights. Foamy fizzly khaki colored head is lively as it settles and holds at a thick disk with some minor spotty lace.

S- mild aroma with coffee, cocoa, and a tart lactic strawberries and balsamic vinegar edge. Almost lemony in a way. Not bad tho. Not very complex either.

T- sweet stout my ass. This is like coffee with a shot of vinegar in it. Not working for me at all. Finishes with the same odd combination of flavor.

MF- on the light end of medium and fizzy. Like a dry Irish stout. Scratchy feeling.

D- the opposite of what I expected, not at all like a milk stout. The sourness with the roasted grains is a bad combination in my opinion. I don't think I can finish this one.

hustlesworth, Jan 14, 2013
1.88/5  rDev -38%

Well well well...what do we have here. I've had good success with this brewer so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, considering I've never had a stout from Asia.

Poured into a tulip it forms a solid head that dissapears rather fast. Dark body and mild to no carbonation.

Its milky alright...but not in a good way. Watered down taste. It is what you would expect from a stout, in that it has some charred malts, although very light in this brew. Chocolate is barely present.

Notes: Ehhh for the price I'd avoid this forever.

DogFood11, Jun 27, 2006
1.9/5  rDev -37.3%

Remember when the Japanese could mimic any current or new technology and then figure out a way to make it cheaper and better? Well, it didn't happen here. What the hell were they thinking? Milk sugar in a beer? Was this an attempt to bring back distant memories, or should I say “mammaries”, of our early childhood? This tar colored concoction is really weird! A sour off kilter chocolate taste stands out followed by a hint of camphor and pasty malt. There are hops somewhere but if I'm not mistaken, tastes like old apple juice. The smell is strange as well - a cross between chocolate and sour balls candy. The head disappeared too quickly for me ponder their existence, but I was distracted trying to contemplate what the heck I was drinking.

BeerResearcher, Apr 14, 2003
1.99/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance: Silky pour texture. Appears very dark in the glass, on the side of a heavy brown over a pitch blackness. Thin lacing throughout. Very low carbonation.

Smell: I thought the lacto sugar added in this brew came off very abrasive. Incredibly tart and bitter, made me hesitate taking a drink. Some decent malt and dark fruit, but the offensive sugar accents make this very undesirable.

Taste: The sugar accents are better here but still not great. A decent malt caramel front of this beer gets quickly taken over by a heavy creamy, milk, daily, and cheap sugar. But despite what is in this beer the body is way too light. The lingering tacky sugar presence creates a less then enjoyable aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light with a artificial sugar feeling. Not great.

Overall: I was really disappointed with this brew. I didn't really have high expectations and those were definitely not close to being met. But I've enjoyed the other Kiuchi beers so I won't hold this miss against them.

KFBR392, Feb 16, 2013

jk3, Apr 18, 2012

Dope, Jan 06, 2012

Lare453, Mar 13, 2013

rab53, Dec 02, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -33%

A - a good bit of Ted on the edge, but huge rootbeer like bubbles in the otherwise creamy head.

S - stout like, but bitter and almost a hint of sour.

T - no. There is a sweetness to it, but the flavor is bad. It's like the mystery Japanese snack that you wonder why they sell.

M - mild coating and bubble burn.

D - pass.