Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

good

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -66.2%

Aroma: Malty sweetness. Slight Alcohol. Has an over powering barn yard like aroma like you would find from wild Belgium yeast strains. Clean and soft fruity powdered sugar like aroma.

Appearance: Cloudy, Golden appearance. White Head Retention. There was a bacterial ring on the neck of the bottle where the beer fills up to which is a major sign of an infected beer.

Flavor: Malt flavor up front with a tart sour finish. Unfortunately this beer was infected with Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus (lactic acid bacteria) and/or Pediococcus, all of which are considered to be beer spoiling micro-organisms. Brettanomyces is uniquely capable of tainting beers with flavors most brewers consider highly undesirable (horse blanket, barn yard smell and sweaty flavors found in "nature."). Lactobacillus and Pediococcus produce lactic acid, which is described as sour. A beer that all three of these infections are desirable and would be found in the Belgian Lambic, Geuze, Faro and other Lambic-derived beers.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied mouthfeel - this beer was on its way to becoming a thin, over carbonated beer. This is usually the case with these types of infections.

Overall Impression: Infected. I Dumped it. This beer obviously came a long way as it's a product of Japan. But this has no effect on this type of infection. The brewery should really watch their sanitation process. I'm really curious what the beer would taste like if it wasn't infected. I will give this beer another try.

sullysbeer, May 30, 2006
1.38/5  rDev -62.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

05/13/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in Redwood City, CA

Presentation- 11 oz bottle with an unclear date stamped on the back label. Poured into my LaChouffe tulip.

Appearance- A cloudy golden pour with a small head and adequate lacing.

Smell- Ugggghhhh, at first I couldn't put my finger on the scent, but I knew it was one I have smelled before and did not like. After tasting one sip I knew what it was....green olive or a martini like drink.

Taste- I took two sips of this and regret both of them. The first was to determine what the smell was (I pretty much knew this was going to get dumped from the smell) and the second just to make sure. Pure martini with loads of green olives. Two things that I despise most in the world and makes it even worse when it's in my beer. I am literally going to have nightmares about opening good beers and having them taste like this now. Thanks Hitachino!!!

Mouthfeel- Seeing how I almost vomited after drinking these two sips, the mouthfeel doesn't hold up to well. Pretty heavily carbonated too.

Drinkability- I guess if you like beer that tastes like martini's this is your style. I read lots of reviews that said it tasted like saki at first taste. I have never had saki, so I can't judge on that point. But, I did read at least one person who had the same exact smell and taste experience that I did. This is 100% not my style and I apologize if this brings down the average. The only positive things I have to say about this beer is that it doesn't look that bad in a glass and at the very least it's way better than Crazy Ed's Chili Beer. Which truthfully means you can eat human excrement and it would still be better than Crazy Ed's. So, I guess that's not saying much at all. I'll remember this beer for a long time, but I'll try my best not to hold it against Hitachino because I have had a few of their beers that have been just fine if not actually dare I say....good!

GClarkage, May 14, 2005
1.55/5  rDev -58.1%

This was different from what I expected and really quite dreadful, in a manner that makes me wonder if the bottle was bad.
It looked and tasted rather like a bad Belgian ale or Burton Bridge Empire IPA.

Cloudy pale amber with faint brownish hints, it had a medium white head slowly shrinking to a thin foamy-wispy top and ring. It had some sudsy lace.

The aroma is yeasty pear with hints of banana and dried apricot, definitely a bit Belgian, overall somewhat like a stronger witbier or golden ale.

The taste is rather similar but worse, yeasty sourt, bitter with shrap, sulphury dried apricots, rancid pears, and old bananas, a little straight cooked grain in the finish and unpleasant bitter after taste with sour metallic hint. It's very dry and sharp.

Offa, Dec 17, 2008
1.68/5  rDev -54.6%

Appearance: Well, you don't see too many that look like this. A pink-tinged peach with a slighly rose colored head. Fair retention. Slightly cloudy with mild carbonation.

Smell: Weird. There's the expected Belgian yeast spice, with the clove and cake spice sweetness, but there is also an absolutely foul reek of green olives and vinyl.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Again, very weird. The mouthfeel is thin and a bit dead. The taste... oh my. The same olive taste comes to the fore, but with a rice syrup sweetness, cake spice and lemon bitterness somewhat similar to Orval. Yeesh.

Drinkability: You're kidding, right? Seriously, is this even beer? I was hoping this was skunked, but I see others have felt my pain. God, this can't possibily be the flavor they were shooting for, can it? If you'd like to pay $4 to drink 11.2 ounces of Orval with a mouthful of cocktail olives, you've arrived. Oh, the horror, the horror...

WetCoaster, Nov 17, 2005
1.75/5  rDev -52.7%

XmnwildX12, Dec 09, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

11.2 ounce bottle from BevMo Sacramento (Arden Way), poured into a wide-mouthed wine glass (similar in shape to a Belgian chalice), cellar temp. Bottles states 7% ABV, no date.

BA listing for this beer states 8.5% ABV, but everything else about the name fits, and Kiuchi doesn't seem to make any other rice ales, so I *think* I'm reviewing the right beer. (Label art is also consistent with Kuichi's web site.)

Pours with a light fizzy white head which dissipates rapidly, leaves no lacing. Initially looked bright pink on pouring, in the glass it's a cross between deep orange (think honey) with a slightly pink tint. No carbonation bubbles visible.

Aroma is light and lager-like, with notes of slightly sweet grain, no hops noticeable.

Tastes like a lactic acid Belgian abbey style, a light one. The 7% isn't evident, I'd have guessed more like 4% or 5%. Acidic and sharp, lingers with a tingly acid taste. Not pleasant at all. I don't get sake or fruit flavors in it: mostly lactic acid.

Mouth is a slightly coating viscous feel, light, but present on my tongue. Also unpleasant.

Unlike the suspected-to-be brettanomyces infected White Ale from Kiuchi that I reviewed last night, I don't suspect this one of being infected: just of being pretty bad beer.

I'm glad I engaged in a little experiment in trying two of Kiuchi's beers; I won't be experimenting this way again on my own nickel. I was ready to drainpour it, but Ms. Warmstorage likes it enough to drink it. Just goes to show how subjective taste is...

warmstorage, Nov 27, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -50%

Listed as 7.0% ABV on the label and on the Kiuchi website, not the 8.5% stated above. 11.2 oz. bottle. Brewed with red rice.

Appearance- Pours a cloudy peach color with about 1 finger head initially- dies down to just a ring very quickly. Just a little bit of lacing.

Smell- This definitely isn't up my alley at all smell-wise. I knew that as soon as I popped the top off. By the way, I love the little round owl on the label and the cap... back to the review. I actually had to read some other reviews to confirm that the smells here were not an indication that this had gone bad. At 7% I figured it should be pretty good to hold up. Smells are sake, strawberries, salmon!???, and rotten rice. It made me nervous to even try drinking it. Not a good combination for the nose.

Taste- Disappointingly- the taste is much like the smell. It does get better as you get used to it though. Still, salmon, sake, earthy notes, and rotten rice is just not a very appealing combination. Some phenols and strawberry flavors are in there too.

Mouthfeel- This is about the only thing that impresses. The mouthfeel is just like it should be. Good carbonation, and a bit of drying yeast effect at the end.

Drinkability- After warming to near room temperature, I could almost manage to suck the remainder of this down. This beer reminds me of a liquid sushi... too bad I don't like sushi. I'm sure that some people will like it, but it's just not for me. This would probably pair really well with lots of Japanese foods including sasimi... that is, if you like sasimi. All-in-all, an extremely interesting beer, but one that I obviously won't be buying again.

lpayette, Feb 17, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -46.5%

Not a good beer. I have no problem with a tart beer, even a sour beer, when that is appropriate, but here my impression was a wheat beer with a good measure of green olive juice tossed in. The beer had an odd, acidic backdrop to the flavor that reminded me of something cured in brine. I like a "dirty" martini with a bit of olive juice, but the flavor turning up in beer was not pleasant. I thought perhaps it would grow on me, and I gave the beer every chance, but in the end it was a sink dump. Perhaps this is one of those love-it-or-hate-it beers. I fall in the latter category.

Brent, Oct 22, 2003

OK I dont know if I got a bad bottle or this is just not a beer for me...

pours a lovely ruby red with a very thin head.
smells pretty good- hint of sour
taste- this might be the first beer ive dumped. Unbearably cloying. Like pickle brine mixed with cherry juice. Very bad wine-y taste.
mouthfeel was average and what I expected- soft on the palette and fine until the taste hit you...

I sincerely hope this was a bad bottle, as it seems most others have really liked it...but this was just not good. Looking for something else!

MaggieReed, Apr 01, 2011

This was an unpleasant and somewhat pricey experience. Pours a dark cloudy orange with lots of sediment floating around. Average white-ish head that held all the way down. The smell was horrid and I have nothing I can compare it too. Perhaps a waxy wet leaf or something but something really weird. It was about as bland as you can be without being offensively bland and it was thin. The acidity was noticed and it was a dry-ish clean finish. I guess it's drinkable but it's not really likable. That smell was horrid though and I'm wondering what those floaters were I swallowed.

packetknife, Jun 03, 2005

TrickkyGangsta, Dec 05, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

Basoos1, Nov 07, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

Hellpop65, Jun 22, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -36.5%

Lady friend grabbed this on a whim. Color me intrigued.

Appearance - Light brown with a real pinkish hue. A very unique color. More pink as it poured than in the glass. An inch or so of stark white head. Minimal lacing. Looks interesting.

Smell - Oh, just off to me. A light floral but then a sticky fermented rice smell. Not pleasant at all. Something vegetable.

Taste - Very clean, with a nice hop balance, of all things. But the aftertaste is sticky sweet. Lots of rice. Very, very sweet. Downright sugary. Weird.

Mouthfeel - Nice and crisp. Light.

Drinkability - Kind of tough. The sweetness is overwhelming. It hides the abv well, but then it sneaks up.

This was an interesting beverage, but simply too sweet. Something new that I won't be trying again.

callmescraps, Sep 24, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -35.7%

11.2 onz amber bottle with 7%

A: Bone white head and a mix between orange and amber color

S: Kind of cooked vegetables and soy sauce

T: Bitter sweet taste,not crisp , the taste of red rice is like veggies

M: Carbonated, bitter and not smooth

Drinkability: Different beer, good to try something new

BeerDreadz, Jun 07, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -35.7%

Poured from a 21oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is kind of pungent and contains Belgian yeast & strong spices along with fruit and rice.

T: The taste is sweet, spicy and bready with flavors of rice, fruit and yeast. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there’s a mild hops presence to provide a little balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style while keeping the rice element prevalent. While this is one of the better rice ales that I’ve had, I’m really starting to get turned off by these beers as they typically just don’t seem to taste right even though I keeping trying to give them a fair chance.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 06, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -33%

Was expecting more from the Hitachino family of beers, especially after having just discovered their white ale - which I now adore. It poured an interesting reddish brown color, with minimal head. Smell was thin, a little sour, and not very sweet. Taste was a cross between a Belgian and a.. Saporro? Not sure, but it wasn't the best. And it was a little "dirty" tasting too. Maybe I just wasn't expecting the straw/hay components to come through in this style/brand of beer. I'd have it again, but it wasn't a favorite.

alysmith4, Mar 10, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

JDavidRice, Mar 12, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

jsisko01, Jan 06, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

I have danced around ordering this one for some months now, maybe even a year. I loved the 2-3 other Hitachino brews I've had but this just sounded weird. We hate rice in our beer, that's why we pour down scorn upon the megabrewers and their never-ending use of it. So what should I do? Well, I split the big bottle with a friend.

A hazy, grapefruit colored liquid pours out of that monster bottle. A smallish white head ensues but with great retention.
Smell is skunky. Upon a second sniff, after recoiling at the first, I found hops and fir notes as well. I hope this brew is supposed to smell like this.
Taste is citrus, malt and little else.
Medium bodied, light carbonation with an Elmer's glue aftertaste.
I think this bottle is bad. I can't believe that anyone would purposely make a beer that has an aftertaste like this and smells like this. The actual taste is fine but getting to it and afterwards makes it hard to like this. Will try again, in a small bottle, but it'll be awhile.

PorterLambic, Jun 16, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

this pours a beatuful red color with four fingers of head that disapers fast, now that we have talked about what i liked, we will discuss what i dislike. the taste is dry and tastes of soap and a sour mash. thieir also is a bitter ans spicy taste left in my mouth that tingels my toung and not in a good way. all i can think is that i am chuging dish soap liquid, i hate this one and will never drink this one agan. i let this warm and it started tasting like dirt. this is almost as bad as it gets

orcasteve, Oct 28, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

For some reason, this beer just reminds me of oriental food. Appropriate, considering it's from Japan. Poured out to a slighly cloudy amber golden color with a nice head and some lace around the glass. Smell reminded me of sweet rice, almost rice pudding. Flavor was bland, slightly sour and dry. Some maltiness noted, but it was kind of like spoiled milk. Finished watery, and slightly grainy. A unique experience, but not one I would want to have again anytime soon.

Frozensoul327, Aug 17, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a lovely ruby red. Thin layer of head.

Dry oak, grape candy, dark fruits mostly.

Aforementioned with some grape, raisin. This is a particularly interesting and unique tasting beer; different than anything I've ever had. Similar to a wine in my opinion, in fact this kind of tastes like a watered down wine.

Mellow mouthfeel, I was guessing around 5% but was a bit off. Surprised by the 7%.

Not my thing, but starts to grow on you. Probably won't be revisiting though.

ptykozoon, Mar 08, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

Transparent peach color with extremely active head, surprised at the lacing despite the soda like carbonation. There is very little aroma. The flavor is neither hoppy, malty, nor ricey. I do not get the hype. I do not think this is more than a gimmicky Budweiser (Bud use a lot of rice). Has an odd body odor flavor. Highly carbonated. Lame. I would not bother trying this again.

Naerhu, May 03, 2003
2.7/5  rDev -27%

12oz bottle poured in a DFH pint glass. Thanks to theghost3 for this extra!

Pours a cloudy red color. with almost no head or lacing. Smells like Salami... very interesting.

Taste is not too pleasant, kind of harsh and leaves a deli meat after taste. I'm not really sure what's going on here but It's not a great taste. It's a bit over carbonated. Interesting to drink but I'd go with their white one over this.

kingcrowing, Aug 27, 2009