Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale - Kiuchi Brewery

good

Kiuchi Brewery visit their website
Japan

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance: Pours a brilliant but hazy dark peach color with a nice white head that leaves plenty of lacing

Smell: Fermented sweet rice smell with a vague hint of cherry

Taste: Starts out with a vague sweet sake flavor; after the swallow some dryness kicks in that provides a nice mellow balance; vague almond and cherry tones emerge along with some slightly sour notes that add complexity

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with lots of carbonation

Drinkability: Why the description of this persists as a BSPA after so many comments to the contrary is a mystery; this beer defies categorization but is definitely worthy of consideration; I like it!

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle with the psychedelic owl on the label poured into a pint glass

poured a reddish peach with a thin fizzy head that quickly vanished

Interesting nose ... medicinal, menthol, a bit of grain faint hint of rice and perhaps some sweet fruits....strawbery rubarb...

Totally far out taste like no other beer you'll ever have. The herbacious medicianl qualities come though, as does a minty menthol type taste, mixed with some sweetness. the alchohol really comes through and in many ways it tastes more like a wine than a beer

Very very dry. light body.

Don't know if I could drink more than one of these and I don't know if it's something i'd reach for more than once in a blue moon, but a must try experience for any beer drinker.

1.25/5  rDev -66.2%

Aroma: Malty sweetness. Slight Alcohol. Has an over powering barn yard like aroma like you would find from wild Belgium yeast strains. Clean and soft fruity powdered sugar like aroma.

Appearance: Cloudy, Golden appearance. White Head Retention. There was a bacterial ring on the neck of the bottle where the beer fills up to which is a major sign of an infected beer.

Flavor: Malt flavor up front with a tart sour finish. Unfortunately this beer was infected with Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus (lactic acid bacteria) and/or Pediococcus, all of which are considered to be beer spoiling micro-organisms. Brettanomyces is uniquely capable of tainting beers with flavors most brewers consider highly undesirable (horse blanket, barn yard smell and sweaty flavors found in "nature."). Lactobacillus and Pediococcus produce lactic acid, which is described as sour. A beer that all three of these infections are desirable and would be found in the Belgian Lambic, Geuze, Faro and other Lambic-derived beers.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied mouthfeel - this beer was on its way to becoming a thin, over carbonated beer. This is usually the case with these types of infections.

Overall Impression: Infected. I Dumped it. This beer obviously came a long way as it's a product of Japan. But this has no effect on this type of infection. The brewery should really watch their sanitation process. I'm really curious what the beer would taste like if it wasn't infected. I will give this beer another try.

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a hazy orange-reddish hues with a one finger cap this dissipated two a 1/4 inch cap. Aroma is slightly sour cherry soda (not like a lambic, just faint), spice of cloves, red table wine, wheaty, little citrus and belgian funk. Flavor is a sour wheat with cherry mixed in. Spiciness from clove and coriander. has an old farmhouse ale feel to it...Almost like a old aged ale. Lemony citrus with a odd aftertaste. Medium-high carbonation, with medium body, and finishes dry. Not quit sure about all the flavors yet... maybe another will help out...!

4.33/5  rDev +17%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Inspection: Code lists RR 5.9? No idea.

Aroma: Perfumed with the slightest hints of farmyard sourness/Belgian funk. Bubblegum, light red wine and cherry candy are fair, but aren’t encompassing the full range of aroma.

Appearance: Slowly dying almost cola head of shaded white on a red tinged amber glass. The head was weak and fading, but managed to hang and lace.

Flavor: Flavor is the aroma intensified. More bubblegum, some tropical fruit, spices (can’t be more specific), and the light red wine flavors are more pronounced, but I am unable to give more descriptors of the many subtle flavors I encountered.

Mouthfeel: Light body, low carbonation.

Overall Impression: Wow. Full of flavors, but most are mild and fit the overall taste well. Belgian flavors are subtle but very present, making this a great Belgian “starter” beer for those trying to understand. Japanese-Belgian, I wouldn’t have believed it before, but I do now! Highly recommended

Hand carried back from KC, MO.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

The appearance of this beer astounded me; differnt angles, different lights gave completely different colors. It ranged from an amber to a pink-copper to a ruby red depending on how I looked at it. Large white foamy head and decent retention.
The smell was a disappointment; mild spice, very mild wheat and possibly some fruits, but I wasn't getting much.
The taste was also disappointing. Semisweet at first, mild fruits, but IMMEDIATELY fades into a dry and bitter taste I can't put my finger on. This corresponds to the mouthfeel which is bitter throughout and almost tasteless, finishing up with a dry, bland watery feel and taste that is unimpressive.
I do have to say the alcohol isnt as present as I thought it would be, but this still doesn't make it very drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer was purchased at the Dilly Deli for $7.99 for a bomber. The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer has a very murky hazy orange copper coloration. The head was short lived with a white coloration. Streaks of lacing remained on the glass. The second pour I let the beer have the yeast.

Smell: The beer has a very interesting spicy combo. There are sakeesque smells. There is all spice, cloves, coriander and some other goodies. There was a pleasing wheat smell to the beer. Oddly enough this has a lot of farm house ale qualities.

Taste: This beer has a sort of wierd taste. I am defianately picking up farm house yeastyness. The beer has a pleasing spicy combo similar to the taste. I can only begin describing the taste present here.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is just fantastic! The beer has a funky yeasty sort of kick. The beer has a light body. This beer is very thrist quenching. This is a very nicely balanced beer.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

This is a special brew...not at all what I expected from a Japaneese brewery. Would describe better as a Flander's Red, this beer starts off with a very tart, sour, berry-like aroma and flavor. Decorated with tart cherry, raspberry, and cider-ey notes, the beer delivers a full flavor throughout. Beginning with a dense eggshell head that remained creamy, the full flavor shows strong wine-like qualities, and low lying sweet malts. The color is a hazy cherry or berry red color. The body falls a bit weak from the souring. Musky and earthy with yeasty and almost moldy, the beer stays crisp and clean. Approaching astringent levels, it is very good and thirst quinching. Perhaps a bit grainy in the finish and lightly hoppy. it could have a better sweet malt flavor and a heftier body, but nevertheless, this is a really good beer.

2.85/5  rDev -23%

App: Pours with a hazy and neutral rosy color body, small white head.

Sm: Black olives... not getting around that. Some musky spice.

Ta/Mf: Much fairer, a bit of chewy malty goodness, whatever that olive taste is, and a slight tartness at the end.

Da: Low. Not really sure if this is how this ale is supposed to be(?). I'm also having a hard time placing it with Belgian Strong Pale Ales.. Let me know if you have the scoop on this one.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

11.2oz. bottle that said this beer was 7%alc., not 8.5%.

Pours out a copperish color with a small white head for this style.

Smell. smells sweet and syruppy. the alcohol smell reminds me of rubbing alcohol. i can smell a yeasty smell common to this style when i really get my nose in the beer. also has a sweet preservative aroma to it as well.

Taste. wow, this is something else.... a puckering corrianderish/peach preservative taste. Very concentrated fruity taste. a little peppery. aftertaste is sweet and fruity. but after3 sips of this, my tongue is done.

Mouthfeel. Good. lots of carbonation. decent balance.

Overall is is one of the more interesting beers i've tried. i like the adventuresome, but this one is not for me

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Bold, brickish, ruby red, nearly opaque. If memory serves me correctly, it's very similar in color to New Glarus's famous Belgian Red, just a little bit more dense. Yeasty bits are visible in the light. Head barely forms, then disappears. How sad.

Smell: Very complex and very different. Rice, red tea, tart berries, rhubarb, rubbery phenols, pickled plums... I dare say I have never smelled anything like this in my life.

Taste: As with other Kiuchi beers, I'm kind of at a loss here. It's good, that's for sure, but what the hell? It's damn near impossible to describe. Strawberries, I suppose, along with sweet malts, red tea... you really just have to see for yourself with this one.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy as hell.

Drinkability: No wonder I'm a Japanophile.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I purchased an 11.2 oz. bottle at Downtown Wine & Spirits. The clerk asked me if I'd had any other Hitachino Nest beers. The bottle says "Ale brewed with red rice". I let this warm to around 50º F and served it in one of my Duvel Tulips.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy deep red color with hints of orange. The white foamy head dissipates to a thin layer, but reemerges readily upon swirling.

Smell: The nose is primarily tart like a sour ale. There are slight hints of phenols, yeast and alcohol.

Taste: The beer is sweet upfront and moves into a fruity and acidic tartness in the center. The finish is mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Prickly carbonation, smooth, light-bodied with a dry finish. I thought this beer was a little too watery.

Drinkability: Pretty easy to drink, but the hidden alcohol might get you.

Overall: This beer reminded me a lot of a toned down Flanders Red Ale. It was interesting, and fairly enjoyable. This was a really hard beer to pin down. I wavered a bit on the scores, but in the end I think the overall score comes out about right.

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Konichiwa Hitachino!

The bottle poured naturally reddish amber with a small Japanese head- that was small but fierce and hung around for a while.

The aroma was similar to a sour lambic- bitter and acrid.

The mouth feel starts out with a very mellow rice softness almost like sake; then the beer bitters come crashing the gentle disposition of the sake moment- leading to aromatic hop eruption that finishes with elusive sweet notes. The sake mouth feel can be known to flash a little skin in the finish too.

The Red Rice Ale would be great with Creole food- like jambalaya or sweet potato fries and an alligator pooy boy.

A great and unique beer to keep around!

3.7/5  rDev 0%

As a resident of San Francisco for ten years, I was anxious to try this Japanese beer now that I live here in the Carolinas. A taste of home, perhaps?

The bottle poured a super clear, red-orange drink. The carbonation seemed light, and the glass developed no head.

The bouquet, well... wow. Tangy with seaweed while the hopps are 'farmy' with notes of (literally) Japanese vegitables. woah, different.

The flavors were equally strange, salty with a touch of sour rice. The sweetness, which was delicious, was sneaking around the background of the palate. The sugars indeed were coming in and out of focus through my sences.

The mouthfeel was good, with carbonation well intergrated in to this beer.

As far as the drinkability... I can only take one of these at the moment. But a very fun beer to taste and study. This and all beers from Hitachino deserve more experimentation, in my study.

Cheers,
~R

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Huge Mountainous head that laces with every pull. Kind of an odd reddish color for the style.

Some rice, grain smell, this is one odd brew so far, color is odd smell is musky and grainy, I have no idea what to expect yet.

Comes across with just a touch of a cough syrup sweetness and harshness. Fruity like a melon, and some flowery hops give it a nice balanced finish. Huge alcohol.

I thought it was a solid offering.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

This beer garners the widest range of scores imaginable. It's an odd one.

I purchased just a single stubby 11 oz. (or so) bottle. I'm fond of the Hitachino Nest beers I've had, just wished they were cheaper than $5 for each wee bottle.

I poured into a chalice, it looked great: a cloudish red with a nice pink head. The smell was outstanding: yeasty sour aromas - very similar to the fan-fucking-tastic La Folie. This had to be unbelievably delicious - no?

The taste was so different from what I expected. Where did the sour go? I could taste the red rice and some yeast but the tartness from that brilliant smell were diluted to almost nothing. Shame, I was very excited.

Working through it, all I wanted was a Flanders Red. I'm glad I gave it a try - it's definitely interesting. I think I'll stick to the Nests for repeat visits.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

This is one of those beers that isn't very tasty but gets some points for being weird and interesting. This beer is a very interesting color -- kind of a red-gold that's been tinged pink. The head is a pink-tinged white. It reminds me a bit of a cherry lambic in appearance. The nose is pretty unappetizing -- it smells of sour rice and some Asian fruit that is obscure to my American palate, but that I've smelled before (at the World of Coke exhibit in Atlanta, believe it or not). The taste brings some complexity, but also lots of sourish red rice that's a bit overpowering. The mouthfeel is pretty good, actually -- the carbonation is nicely balanced and the finish is good. But overall, this brew reminds me of some of those challenging lambics and sour red Belgian ales -- I can appreciate them, but I wouldn't necessarily choose to drink them unless they were very carefully paired with a particular food.

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

This is not the freshest sample as I bought this several months ago but it seems to hold up quite well in the fridge. It does lose some of its assertiveness in taste that it had before.

Clear with a woody amber gold color. There is no lace but it still has that nice floral Belgian smell. The taste is smoother than before but it doesnt stand out like it did. A nice beer nonetheless. I am glad I tried it again as the last sample(which I did not review) left me not too enamored with this beer. It is a good 'un. Beware of some inconsistency though.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from fat squattie into a Delirium Tremens chalice. Kind of orange colored beer, some thin head initially on top.

Hard to rate the smell, as this bottle was kind of skunked. I couldn't detect the rice flavor, this kind of tasted like skunked euro lager to me. It definitely did not have a Belgian yeast feel to it.

I'll not be getting this again.

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

My bottle says 7% alcohol from what I can see/guess (their official site supports my theory); no freshness date that I can decipher.
Upon pouring, this brew falls within that spectrum between being a darker colored pale ale and a lighter colored dark ale; think Maudite and Lunacy; think apple juice or cider. Hazy, amber hued.
Smells... interesting. There are some notes that I'm not used to in a beer... must be the red rice... some sour notes a-la Flander's Red ale, though much much milder, lightly spicy smelling.
The taste is interesting as well. I haven't liked brews of this inbetween color in the past but this time around I enjoy it. The flavor is relatively mild and well balanced. There's a pink lemonade refreshingness/tartness going on that I like. Again, mildly spicy with that unfamiliar red rice thing going on.
Mouthfeel is tart, a touch metallic, and very dry. Crisp, even.
I personally find this to be very drinkable, even for the style. Alcohol content is completely hidden in the flavor but the kick does come across halfway through the bottle (an 11.2 ouncer in this case).
I'd easily get this again.

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

A heavy pour and got a two-fingered head that faded quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Hazy golden color. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Nose is barely there maybe vanilla?? Starts with a typical malt/hop mix but then the finish there is an incredible kick of sweet vanilla nothing like I have had before and quite different from other Japanese beers. $3.89 for a 11.2oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a slightly chilled pint glass at Garden Grill in Pawtucket, RI.
Very slight whispy head with faint traces of lace skirting the edge of the glass. Poured a murky light coppery/orange color.
Sour nose upon pouring. Vinous like a crisp white wine. A bit wheaty and tart.
Tart taste on the tongue. Very slightly hoppy, with grapefruit/citrus undertones. Not much maltiness to speak of. A bit grassy and wine like. Medium carbonation and light mouthfeel made this a nicely drinkable beer.
Finished dry and once again, wine like. Can't believe this weighed in at 8.5%. You would never know it by drinking it.
Went nicely with the vegetarian (tempeh) reuben and asian slaw.

1.68/5  rDev -54.6%

Appearance: Well, you don't see too many that look like this. A pink-tinged peach with a slighly rose colored head. Fair retention. Slightly cloudy with mild carbonation.

Smell: Weird. There's the expected Belgian yeast spice, with the clove and cake spice sweetness, but there is also an absolutely foul reek of green olives and vinyl.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Again, very weird. The mouthfeel is thin and a bit dead. The taste... oh my. The same olive taste comes to the fore, but with a rice syrup sweetness, cake spice and lemon bitterness somewhat similar to Orval. Yeesh.

Drinkability: You're kidding, right? Seriously, is this even beer? I was hoping this was skunked, but I see others have felt my pain. God, this can't possibily be the flavor they were shooting for, can it? If you'd like to pay $4 to drink 11.2 ounces of Orval with a mouthful of cocktail olives, you've arrived. Oh, the horror, the horror...

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 24.3oz bottle. It is a beautiful burnt yellow, with a large fluffy white head of large and small bubbles. Small streams of carbonation are present and there was some lacing. The nose is fresh, clean, a bit grassy, with some malt tones as well. It is crisp and dry on the palate, with nice malt/rice sweetness hinting up front followed by pleasantly crisp hops. It has a medium body and yet feels light at the same time. There is no alcohol taste or smell and yet it rings in at 8.5%.

This was wonderfully drinkable beer and a style that people do not generally associate with Japanese brewers. Makes me want to have another.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a dark gold color with a reddish hue along with a 1" white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a warm, malty scent that is dry and slightly musty. I guess this brew is made with red rice. I'm really not sure how to detect rice aroma. It smells of alcohol and yeast. The taste is decent as well. It has a dry flavor that resembles cough syrup. It's smooth with a slightly sweet finish that's warm on the way down. The mouthfeel is fine. It's a medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is an interesting beer. It has a unique flavor; a good flavor.

Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale from Kiuchi Brewery