India Pale Ale (Dry Hopped / Bottleworks) - La Conner Brewing Company

India Pale Ale (Dry Hopped / Bottleworks)India Pale Ale (Dry Hopped / Bottleworks)

La Conner Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: RoyalT on 10-10-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by cretemixer:
cretemixer

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%

This one traveled many miles to end up in my ever-growing belly. Thanks to beer traders, shipping agents & BA for making that all possible!

Hops & foam erupted from the neck of the bottle upon opening. There's something about seeing whole hops dripping down the side of the bottle that just make us beer lovers weak in the knees.

Cloudy golden orange in color with a thick eggshelled colored head that leaves a nice lace. Lots of hops floating around in the glass, even after what ended up on the coaster after opening.

Fruity hops are most present in the aroma. Piney, but there is also a malt sweetness in the nose, almost like raw sugar cane.

Well balanced IPA. There's that nice, mouth-filling bitterness, but it is cut with a generous sweetness to keep it from becoming overbearing. Finishes round & full with a nice peppery punch.

Smooth & drinkable. I like the hops floating around in there, but that is definitely something for us die-hards.

07-30-2005 03:05:28 | More by cretemixer
hopdog

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Big thanks to weeare138 for sharing this one off my want list!

When opened, there was a slight gush of white head with hops pouring over the opening (I wouldn't classify it as a gusher though). Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a small sized white head. Lots of hop leaves floating (I've never seen anything like it). Aromas and tastes of guess what, fresh hops (floral and grapefruit). I wouldn't call this overly hoppy - actually perfect in the aroma category. Medium bitter. Best part is picking out the hop leaves between your teeth.

Notes from and tasted on 9/30/05

11-07-2008 01:14:30 | More by hopdog
FtownThrowDown

4.38/5  rDev -2%

This is a crazy bottle. Noted with a 'DH' on the bottle cap. I'm guessing Dry Hopped. There is an entire hop cone in the bottle! The bottle gushed upon opening, but I salvaged what I could. This is an insanely hopped beer. The concept is pretty simple, with the entire hop cone in the bottle. But it seems nobody has thought or done this since. This bottle has aged a bit in the fridge and stll is as hoppy as hell. Absolutely amazing. I'm still stunned at the flavor and the concept.

10-28-2008 00:14:09 | More by FtownThrowDown
Gaisgeil

3.88/5  rDev -13.2%

Egad man! This is a volatile bottle of beer! Not only did the bottles gush on me, but they require straining! There is a whole hop cone in here! Nontheless it poured a deep orange in color with a fluffy white head that went the full rounds. Nose in unmistakably hoppy, northwestern US, clearly. Very piney and floral, pungant. Taste is naturally quite bitter, but also very complex really. Dandelions, grass, rose petals, sticky pine cones, May flowers. The first bottle I consumed fresh the brew was quite dry and puckering, but this year old bottle is tamed down a bit. Things have melded together more, quite nice really. Mouthfeel is unpleasently oily however, and just a tad flat, this brew is probably better consumed fresh as far as I can tell.

Quite nice to style and definiately hop lovers dream, but a bit over the top for me, bonus points for going full bore though, respectable effort all around.

Slàinte!

04-15-2006 05:48:34 | More by Gaisgeil
Crosling

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Deep Orange. Hop Leafs floating freely in the liquid. Incredible, vibrant and fresh aroma, possibly the best smelling beer I have ever smelled, ever. Total hop explosion with grapefruit, pine, resin and more pine. I’d like it to be a perfume for women. Taste follows with even more fresh and vibrant hops. Great hop flavor, solid malt body and an incredible lingering bitterness. A great India Pale Ale that definately benefited with the in bottle dry hop.

03-13-2006 23:11:28 | More by Crosling
numenor1

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

This one gushed a bit on me on opening, but after getting past that and straining out the hops, this is amazing to look at. Produces an enormous billowing off-white head that clumps more than anything i've ever seen. Pours a very hazy caramel color. Terrific to look at. This is easily the most prodigious hop aroma i've ever encountered. I can smell it across the room. Quite citrusy, leafy and vinous sappy. Some slight sweet malts are in the background. Upfront this tastes of sweet maltiness, yet immediately integrated with hop flavor that becomes more and more pronounced, yet somehow supremely balanced. Loads of hop flavor and it never overwhelms the malts. Drying a bit in the finish with an ever so slight lingering bitterness. Altogether a unique hop profile, more similar to dreadnaught then anything else, though with far more earthiness. Additionally as it warms a nice spiciness develops throughout, perhaps hops, alcohol or both, it's terrific. Mouthfeel is just about perfect, medium with medium low carbonation, creamy and chewy. It drinks well. Easily at least the second best IPA i've had, i'd have to compare it to two hearted.

Thanks Skyhand for making this a part of my secret santa. I'd been wanting to try this.

12-19-2005 19:53:24 | More by numenor1
Px2GrafX

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with a black label with a large oval in the center. "laconner brewing company" encircles the oval with a tractor pulling an ale barrel in the center. "independent family brewer" and "finest grains". "dry-hopped", "d.h." and another "d.h." are written on the label and crown with a black sharpie. there is actually a couple of dried hop leaves stuck to the outside of the bottle. no abv or freshness date displayed.

appearance: i've been warned about opening this beer and even after carefully popping the cap, this beer overflowed. after cleaning up my mess, i poured a 3 to 1 fluffy head through a strainer. whole hop flowers in the strainer. hazy dark orange with bright orange highlights. despite straining, there are still hop leaf particles floating in the brew. head retention and lacing are excellent.

smell: enormous hop aroma. citrusy, piney and grassy. lightly sweet bready malt aroma is there if you really search for it.

taste: delicious hop flavors hit you first. bitter with grapefruit, lemons and orange. countered by a nice caramelly sweet bready malt flavor in the middle of the sip. bitter and lightly salty with some yeast in the finish. aftertaste is almost entirely lip smacking bitter hops.

mouthfeel: nice creamy medium body. acidic tingle all over your tongue with each sip. carbonation, even after overflowing, is still good down to the last sip. rolls around a swallows well.

drinkability: i love the hops so this one's quite drinkable for me. alcohol is well masked and the aftertaste begs for more.

overall: wonderful. other than the overflow forcing me to enjoy only about 9.5oz instead of 12, this is a near perfect ipa. i wish i could get a case of this, but it's not available to me here. i'll see what i can do, though. thanks a bunch to skyhand for sending me this brew in the WTF BIF ASAP. if you can get it, this is a must try for ipa lovers or hop heads in general.

11-09-2005 01:04:32 | More by Px2GrafX
egajdzis

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%

The contents of my bottle rushed up and out as soon as the cap was popped. Thus making my hands and shirt smell like amazing hop juice. When poured it was a deep amber color with green hop leaves and lots of other sediment in the glass with nice lacing. Amazing floral, and citrus hop aroma. Hops, hops and more hops, very hoppy, with little malt. Very bitter, citrus, hop taste. A little more malt would have made this perfect, though as it is, it was still very nice. An hour later, even after washing my hands, I can still smell the hops. I used some form of the word ’hop’ 9 times in this review.

08-08-2005 23:32:26 | More by egajdzis
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Opening hte bottle almost produced a mess gusher. I saved it into the glass before any was lost. Poured a dirty orange color with a a 3 finger head that fell to a light coating over top. The nose was awesome. Big citrusy hop arome sits over a caramel malt. The aroma is so fresh, clean and crisp. I absolutely loved it. The flavor was equally as awesome. Very flavorful hop. Citrusy, crisp, sweet, but not overpoweringly bitter. A caramel malt holds it all together. Such good balance. The feel was moderate with a moderate carbonation. The leaf hops in there giveit a different texture than other brews. I liked chewing on them after each sip. Probably the best IPA I have ever had. The hop profile was divine. Sweet and tasty. Incredibly drinkable. I will definately try to find this beer again. A+

07-29-2005 02:36:10 | More by kmpitz2
clvand0

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a cloudy light amber color with a tall head that has good retention and leaves some lacing on the glass. There are hop chunks all over the place. The aroma is all about the US hops. Huge citrus aromas. Nice. There are lots of hop flavors as well - big on the US citrus hops. But there is a really strong caramel malt presence, making it balance very well. Finish is a little bitter. The body is a little thick, but not too thick and the drinkability is very good. This is a really good IPA.

07-28-2005 11:33:56 | More by clvand0
weeare138

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Much thanks to skyhand for this!
Appears a hazy gold with a nice fluffy white head that refuses to yield. Now, look at that! Tons of full hop leaves floating at the top of the glass. Some decent sticky lacing holds tight to the glass.
Smell is outstanding. Sticky oranges, grapefruit, and piney hops abound. This is truly a hop head’s delight.
Taste is excellent. Beautiful hop flavors along the palate followed with a sugary sweet balance.
Mouthfeel is great again with the citrusy bitterness and creamy vanilla notes making this a smooth beer with no hop burn.
Drinkability is great but points have to be taken off for the annoyingness of having to pull the hops off the lips after each sip. I ended up spooning them out but a few smaller pieces seem to still clog up in the back of the throat. I wish they could just dry hop the heck out of this at the brewery, filter out the big hop leaves, then bottle it to make it taste this way. Still…

Finger licking good…and then some.

06-21-2005 15:48:49 | More by weeare138
orbitalr0x

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours into my Sierra Nevada tulip a great deep amber orange color with a fluffy two finger head. A sea of hop flowers floats by as I peer into my glass with a bunch hanging out on top of the creamy head as well. This is a beautiful sight to a hophead like myself. Glorious and truly a sight to behold. Awesome head retention that leaves globs of lace as it slowly recedes. First smell brings a rich, fragrant boquet of hoppy goodness. Big grapefruity, tropical, citric oil aroma invades my nostrils and brings a smile to my face. A bit floral as well with a sweet caramelly undercurrent. Fresh and greener hop aroma than most I've sampled before....simply a joy to sit and smell over and over again.

First sip is a rush of citric, grapefruity hoppiness with a nice malty body with notes of caramel. The floral comes through on the way down along with a lovely mellow bitterness that lingers on. I'm nearly getting hops stuck in my teeth with each sip and it brings a smile to my face. A wonderful IPA that definetly brings the hops while still maintaining balance. The green hop flavor is vibrant and alive with resiny oils...simply great...the dry hopping in the bottle just pushes this over the edge. More brewers need to do this as it adds a whole new dimension to the brew.

Mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied with smooth carbonation. Goes down smooth (as long as you don't mind a few hop leaves here and there!) If I had easier access to this brew I would drink it all the time...one of my new favorite IPA's. If you love hops..you truly must try this one. My hats off to LaConner and my utmost thanks to skyhand for the opportunity to sample this one...you rock!

05-13-2005 02:36:16 | More by orbitalr0x
troutmask96

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Wow - what a beer.

After trying and not liking LaConner's regular IPA version, I sprung for a sixer of their much-lauded dry-hopped version ("DH" is hand-written on the bottle caps). After popping the cap, I was immediately taken by the scent of butterscotch and pine, and a heavy hop aroma sprung forth as well. As I poured my first glass, I was entertained as whole hop flowers went plunging into my pint.

And the taste! This is the smoothest IPA around, with no lingering bitterness and plenty of sweet floral undertones.

This special brew is absolutely not to be missed...

02-19-2005 04:04:08 | More by troutmask96
LuckySevens82

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Skyhand..thanks Kim.

Pours a hazy orange with no head whatsoever. No head, no lacing...although I imagine that had I made a bit harder of a pour, I would have been pleased.
Smell is floral hops, massive pineyness, hoppy hoppy hoppy.
Taste is just a tad biscuity with a malty sweetness and of course a huge amount of hop flavor. I wouldn't say that is is really bitter (well in the sense that Stone's Ruination is bitter), but there is a definite bite to this one.
Mouthfeel is very nice, coating hop flavor good carbonation, very well done.
Overall, I would say that this is definitely an above average IPA. Certainly something that I would enjoy on a regular basis if it were available in my area. The idea of putting hops in the bottle just makes me all warm inside, it should be done more often and I think that this is a better beer because of it.

02-06-2005 04:02:15 | More by LuckySevens82
aracauna

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a cloudy amber with a lively white head. The bottle is a slow foamer, but it could still catch you off guard if you weren’t expecting it. The hop petals start off mixed in with the beer, but start floating to the very top of the foam making this look like a bowl full of some sort of mutant rice crispies. The aroma is nicely hoppy, lots of fresh cut grass in with the piney hops. The flavor has a nice kick of slightly toasty malt to balance out the lingering hop bitterness that follows. I don’t think it deserves the hype it’s gotten, but it’s not bad either. I was actually a little turned off by the texture of the hop particles in my mouth, but not enough to make me not want to finish the glass.

01-04-2005 23:14:28 | More by aracauna
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Murky, particulate-laden butterscotch with ripe lemon highlights, crowned by an expansive, creamydense head of rich ecru foam that contains flecks of hop leaf. How cool is that? At first I wondered what those dark specks affixed to the glass were. A quick swipe and smell brought HOPS! to my brain in an up close and personal way. The head is falling slowly and unevenly, leaving a craggy mountain range of dense foam and thick, meaty hunks of lace.

I've already alluded to the aroma. It is, in a word... fabulous. Pure, unadulterated hoppy goodness explodes from the glass: pink grapefruit, sweet orange, passionfruit, pineapple; all of my favorites are present and accounted for. There isn't much in the way of pine sap, but I've always preferred evergreen to keep a relatively low profile anyway.

Wonderful flavor, as expected. It simply isn't possible for a beer to smell this amazing and not taste amazing as well. There's a sufficient malt load on hand, as evidenced by the medium-full body and an underlying sticky sweetness. With such solid support, the hops are free to soar... and soar they most certainly do. All the fruits noted above are present, with grapefruit and pineapple making the largest splash. This is bracingly bitter and intensely flavorful beer in which the malt rounds off the edges just enough to make it scarily consumable.

The mouthfeel is lush with a mouth coating, interminable finish that allows one to taste hops for as long as the bottle lasts, whether there's any actual beer in the mouth or not. For some reason, I just held my glass up and looked at the underside of the still present head. A half dozen flecks of hop leaf are waiting patiently to find their way into my mouth (they won't be waiting long). All IPAs should be this hoppy, and they would be if I was king of the world.

[As a side note: I finished this review before pouring the final two fingers of beer. Imagine my surprise when a lump of whole hop leaves and a few whole hop cones splashed into the glass. It looks like I'd better keep my teeth close together as I drink the remainder. Needless to say, the beer is now as opaque as a stout, is littered with leaves and is even more bitter and hoppy. Over the top? Nah, just right].

LaConner Dry Hopped IPA is wonderful beer and is a classic example of why IPAs are my favorite style. Few brewers seem to be able to pull it off, but the recipe is as simple as 1, 2, 3. Firm malt backbone (with little flavor contribution), correct choice of hops (my favorites), use an insane amount of them. Okay, maybe it's harder than it sounds, but when that recipe is followed by skillful brewers, as it has been here, the result is something truly special.

12-19-2004 15:38:06 | More by BuckeyeNation
meathookjones

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours nearly opaque amber with little bits of hop leaves floating about. Head is about a half-inch of light tan foam that left good rings of clumpy lace around the glass. Holy crap the aroma is just as packed full as you can get with floral and citric hoppy goodness. You can almost immediately smell these from the second you crack open the bottle, very nice indeed. The taste starts off with a grapefruity bitter smack to the palette that doesn’t relent. There are some earthy tones going on as well and a slight maltiness was there too. This stuff just sits there on your tongue coating in bitter hops goodness that lingers on for a while. Mouthfeel is a little heavier than medium with a prickly bitterness and it’s a bit oily. With me being a hophead and all the drinkability can’t get much better I imagine. Too bad this is another great brew that I can’t get regularly. The hop in the bottle is a nice treat to eat at the end too. Thanks to garthwaite for this awesome brew.

11-10-2004 16:33:08 | More by meathookjones
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz: Orange-amber body. Smallish off-white head, several hop cones in the glass. Pretty straightforward and pleasant dry-hopping nose. Catchy plasticy or rubbery citrus peel, bitter orange, tree leaves and bark. Extremely dry palate, huge dry-hopping character, almost no sweetness. Hard to pick up malt profile., just straight citrusy hops, greenish and orangey. Bitterness is less harsh than I anticipated although this sits on a few months. Rather leafy, woody and astringent finish, not nearly as aggressive as I thought, though it fits the hop juice category, clean hop flavours, just not much else. Light-medium body, politely slightly creamy, low carbonation. Thanks herftydrf.

11-09-2004 01:28:30 | More by Rastacouere
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz. bottle has " DH " hand written on the green cap. Amber colored with a huge head that took several minutes to settle. Massive smell of grapefruit and pine tree resins. Has a malt sweetness which mingles nicely with the huge hop flavor. Chewing on the hops will kill your taste buds. My guess is cellaring this beer for twenty years won't diminish the hop flavor.

10-11-2004 04:42:46 | More by beerceller99
freed

Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

The forks came out, but we'll have none of that. Straining? no thanks.

This typical LaConner Bottle doesn't reveal its secret until you hold it to the light. Once illuminated, you wonder if the brewer simply bottled the unstrained wort. You could attempt to strain the major cone bits out, or you could stomach it. The gloppy pour leaves a very turbid pour with visible petals floating about in suspension. Its almost a hot & sour soup concoction.

A bright white head does very little to trap the aroma, which bounds forth with all its brilliant and taste bud caressing love. Strong waves of freshly picked hops storm at you, and you can't turn away from the pleasant citrus and grass smells. Oh - to have such a wonderful hop aroma from bottled beer!

The abundantly fresh hop flavor is welcomed by the (mine, anyway) mouth like a long lost child. The great lemon tartness is well complimented by sufficient sweet malts which are often missing from IPAs. Not here, there's plenty of thick malt body to balance the rich hop sweet and sour.

It may be difficult to drink - lips pursed as a primary, and clenched teeth as a secondary filter, but each taste is worth it. Brilliant!

10-06-2004 01:20:28 | More by freed
garthwaite

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

I have sampled a few different bottles of this (thanks to the extreme generosity of the mighty fine pacNW BA's - skyhand & RoyalT) & have definitely noticed some variance between them. In my opinion, the degree of bursting hop flavor & aroma seems to vary, though I'm not sure if this is due to the quantity of hop flowers actually dropping into the bottle, the amount of time between bottling and drinking, or some other factor. What I do know, is that at its best, this is one insanely hopped-up delectable beer that I can't get enough of.

I poured this brew from a 12 oz bottle, through a strainer, & into my glass (I've tried just pouring the entire contents into a glass as well & while that was definitely delicious, it's just a touch too much work to pick all the little leaves & hop buds out of my teeth). In the glass, it is a hazy orangish gold with a big rocky white creamy head that laced absolutely perfectly. Exploding hop aroma fills the entire room. Huge citrus, grapefruit, flowers, and lemongrass. I could just sit & smell this beer all day & night. Flavor is just bursting with hoppy goodness. Atop a sweet caramel & slightly toasted malty base are multiple layers of ridiculously fresh earthy, flowery & big-time citrusy hops. I've heard the expression "like chewing on a hop leaf" - well, this brew really brings that to life. Full in the mouth with a delightful level of creaminess that only enhances the experience. The solid bitterness is evident from the start & certainly still there in the finish which is on the dry side.
Absolutely one of the hoppiest and most enjoyable brews I've ever had the privilege of drinking. A million thanks to super-BA, skyhand, for keeping me supplied with this tasty treat - every day I have one of these in the fridge is a special occasion.

08-27-2004 20:51:23 | More by garthwaite
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Laconners Dry-Hopped IPA comes with one or two whole hop flowers right in the bottle, to be strained during the pour with a fork. Otherwise known as Laconners "Chunky IPA", this brew was a rich orange-golden color, and was topped by a massive, sticky, fine n' creamy off-white head that left sticky-clingy sheets of lacing that coated the entire inside of the glass. Chunks of light-colored particles were observed in suspension. The enticing, in-your-face nose was loaded with the freshest hop aroma, composed of juicy citrus and herbal notes....dreamy. On the palate, a hefty but lightly sweet apricot-cantalope tinged malt profile was joined by a pronounced and enjoyable citric zest and resiny bitterness and perhaps some bubblegum flavors. The wonderfully creamy, full, and somewhat viscous body went very well with the flavors and character of the beer. Laconners Chunky IPA delivers amazing hop aromas, and a complementing tasty and satisfying flavor. I'd like to see hops thown in the bottle of some of my other favorite IPAs! Big thanks to Skyhad for kindly hooking me up with a sixer of this nectar.

07-27-2004 04:39:35 | More by HiroProtagonist
beertaster13

Washington

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice and hoppy just the way I like it. The first thing you notice on this pour is the hoppy chunks floating in the beer. Pours a dark orange sappy color with an off-white head that is phenomenal, lacing will coat the glass. The smell is strong of citrus/pine hops and sugary/caramel malts. The taste is a mozart of hops, you will taste nature/pine notes of hops and citrus bitter hops that tingle the buds, the caramel sweetnes is light but perfect with the hop overload. Medium bodied and puckered up. Very drinkable and damn good, best IPA I've had in awhile.

07-21-2004 06:22:53 | More by beertaster13
feloniousmonk

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Holy Mary, Mother of God, there's a storm going on in my pint glass, a flurry of floating, flitting hop bits ( I assume...looks like 'em) is this good or bad...I'm betting on good...otherwise, typically orangish hued, with a smallish, off-whitish head...except there's more hop pieces peeking out...weird...but...cool.
Smell, already...very similar to the regular LaConner IPA, big pine and citrus, a touch sweet, pretty mild, grassy, and also "grassy"...heh, heh...yep, that's fresh hoppitude going down!
Taste...hard to do when invading hop particles keep trying to trip into your mouth, unbidden...what to do, wear a filter? Great, big bitterness, wondrous citric tastes, grapefruit, orange, peach and more fantastic freshness, too...that does it, I have to go strain this one out first...
(some appropriate application of a coffee filter later)
Has a persistent tang in the palate, a keen hop bite that blends well with the juicy fruit, and lasts long in the finish.
I'm partially to dry-hopped IPAs, just not accustomed to the kind that leave the hops in the bottle!
Good Lordy, that was a surprise!
Damned tasty ale, though...

07-04-2004 15:17:46 | More by feloniousmonk
Dogbrick

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to skyhand for the trade. "DH" in marker on the cap. Pours a bright orange color with a thin off-white head. Thin and quick lacing. Lots and lots of sediment and hop pellets floating around. The aroma is wonderfully hopped, very reminiscent of the better Imperial IPAs like Ruination and Buckeye ’76. Very floral, with citrus and pepper in the nose as well. Medium-bodied and moderately hoppy throughout. The flavor didn’t really blow me away like the aroma but this is a tasty IPA. There is some citrus and malt underneath the hops for a little balance. The bitterness lingers and the finish is rather soft toward the end. Overall this is a very good IPA and I would like to compare it to the "regular" version someday.

06-22-2004 18:34:33 | More by Dogbrick