Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hurricane Kitty - Keegan Ales

Hurricane KittyHurricane Kitty

Keegan Ales visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Shiredave on 10-22-2003

This brew is a coppery and heavily hopped India Pale Ale. Named after brewmaster Keegan’s grandmother whose driving earned her quite a reputation with local police racing her six children to and from a local Long Island beach ferry during the 1960’s, Hurricane Kitty is the undisputed family favorite. We try to make the hop bill read as aggressively as her driver’s record.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane Kitty Alström Bros
1.81/5  rDev -51.1%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a shaker pint.

A: Clear medium-amber body under a huge 4" head os super creamy off-white head (the keg just kicked, so this was a freebie). Tremendous retention and lacing. Excellent.

S: Umm, no. Sourdough bread, rancid apricot, vegetal hops. Pure grossness.

T: All the grossness of the nose, plus some rotting pumpkin (apropos of early November and rapidly-aging jack-o-lanterns), but with a touch of hops bitterness on the tail end that at least give it a marginally clean finish. Still terrible.

M: Lively, frothy medium body. Pretty solid.

O: Boy I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. I'll gladly give it another shot if someone gives me a bottle, but this particular keg was nothing short of disgusting.

2.06/5  rDev -44.3%

A very clear brew, yet the taste is drab and unreasonably compromised by yeasts and undesirable yeast byproducts. The sharp bittering only offsets these deficits, enhances their sulfury qualities, and reduces drinkability. Listed as a pale ale on the house readerboard, Hurricane Kitty is light brown in color. Hop flavor and aroma are entirely absent. 5.5% ABV.

2.1/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

finally took a chance on these fine ale purveyors from up the road. The bottle is popped, the loud noise startles me. Will it foam over? No, it rises slowly, I pour. Coppery and fairly clear with a voluminous offwhite head. Chunks of yeasty particulate round out the pour. The aroma is a blend of citrus, grass, funk, and some caramel. Infection..The saddest of ploys on April Fools. The taste isn't bad, but it's not american IPA material. Some hop quality, definite funk aftertaste, a little bit of sweet malt presence, decent bitterness. It is drinkable still but falls far outside my expectations for this beverage. All in all, not bad for a Belgian IPA or pale, but this is not supposed to be as such. Alas, I shall revisit in the future. For now, I have four more to drink.

2.48/5  rDev -33%

This bottle was courtesy of the baddest-ass east-coaster I know: Cuzco.
Nate, you're the fucking bomb. I love you Bro Namath.

Trying to clean out the voice notes on my iphone...
Reviewed from those notes.

This is an orangey amber color. Looks east coast to me... Off-white head... Weak lacing and weak retention.
The nose is malty as hell. Almost no hops, but I detect a touch of grapefruit and a hint of pine. Saddened by the nose here.

The beer is surprisingly drinkable... It is well-balanced, so that adds a lot. But nothing about this beer says, "Awesome IPA." The only thing I hear from this beer is it quietly muttering, "I'm better than some crappy homebrew..."
Not by much Hurricane, not by much... If I brewed this, and it was one of my first batches, I'd be proud, but from a commercial brewery, not so much.
The finish is much drier than the initial taste, but that might just be a piney oily resin vibe helping to dry it out.

This just isn't my favorite attempt at my least favorite take on a style that I love. Glad to have tried it, but won't order one if I see it.

2.66/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hurricane Kitty... hm, odd name, alright, I'll give it a crack. Goes into my Sam Adams glass looking like any other IPA, clear and coppery and with a fine looking fat rocky head. I'm shocked though, at the amount of yeast (I hope it's yeast...) sediment that falls into the glass. I mean, we're talking big white chunks that look not unlike tonsiliths... ::shudder:: I decide timidity is the way to proceed and leave a good quarter inch of Kitty in the bottle. Not all the yeast settles out. Oh boy.

Smells quite malty, toasted grain and maybe a little maple. Surely not vanilla? Hops are there, citrus and fairly vague. Smells a little weird, actually... musty and... cardboard. Hmm.

Tastes pretty poor to boot. Too much caramel here, plus a weird malt sweetness that is not balanced by the hops and some funky yeast. Hops are bitter and a little medicinal. It's a pity, I wanted to like this one... the name is cool... but I don't think this warrants finishing the bottle.

Mouthfeel is okay, nothing big. Finish is slightly dry and leaves a taste of strange caramel and reminds me of old books and aspirin.

Hurricane Kitty is, unfortunately, going down the drain. I hate it when this happens, but ya gotta call 'em like ya drink 'em. A very average take on the American IPA.

2.81/5  rDev -24.1%

Thanks again to Rhettroactive for sharing some of his NYC bounty with yours truly!

I enjoyed this beer in a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy copper orange color, pretty standard for an IPA as far as I've seen. A cream colored, quarter finger head settles at the top of the glass. Good lacing sticks to the sides of the glass. Solid.

S: Faint, faint, faint citrus and some light, sweet malt. I'm not getting much on this one.

T: Earthy hops with just a hint of piney citrus flavor. This is definitely a maltier, more bitter IPA. For what it is, it's decent, but I'm not hugely impressed.

M: It's carbonated well and pretty well balanced. Nicely done.

O: I'm not sure what Keegan is trying to do here, but it didn't work for me. What you have is an earthy, bitter, malty IPA, with almost none of the citrus and pine notes I cherish in the style. The flavor isn't bad, but it certainly isn't memorable, nor would I immediately identify it as an IPA. The most mild smelling IPA I've ever sniffed. There's no date on the bottle, but this one may be a little stale. I'll give it another shot if I come across it, but based on this tasting I can't recommend.

2.87/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle courtesy of joeybeerbelly as an extra.

Coppery golden pour, decent head... Wow, loads of sediment in this and I mean tons... I can usually make it through these but this looks chunky...yeech...

Bitter hop smell with a small amount of malt...

Very bitter hoppy taste... Sort of metallic...

Glad I got to give this one a go but I don't think I would buy this were it available..

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

A - a beautiful amber body with waaaayyyy too much head (4 fingers!). looks very nice regardless

S - sweet, malty, hoppy, earthy, slight citrus, fruity, very floral

T - very earthy, slightly bitter, slight metallic taste, toasted grains

M - very fizzy, a ton of head until the bottom of the glass made this one a little annoying to drink

O - i think i may have gotten a bottle that was sitting on the shelf for too long. i've heard/read good things about this beer to have it end up like this - need to give it another shot with a fresh batch

2.93/5  rDev -20.8%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 8/16/11
*From notes

A: A filtered dark crimson-amber. A standard pour yields a 1.5 finger head and some decent lacing.

S: Musty marmalade. It's got a raisinated quality to it. I'm not sure how fresh this is.

T: Cellared hops and pine. It's resiny, but not in a good way. It's got a concentrated nature to it, making the faded hops all the more dissapointing.

M: Great texture and proper carbonation. It's simply too bad the beer didn't meet the bar set by the mouthfeel.

O: Keegan's Hurricane Kitty, at least in this presentation, was quite a letdown. I'm under the impression that I picked up a stale sixer (shame on you, Bowery St. Whole Foods!), and therefore this review may be written under false pretenses. None the less, the bottle I consumed was simply to uptight, and didn't showcase any of the qualities I look for within the style, east or west coast be damned.

I'd certainly try this again (preferably on tap), but in the mean time, it won't be getting my recommendation.

Got this from Cosmicevan. Thanks!
No date on this 12oz bottle that I could find. Poured into a red wine glass.

Appearance- Hazy red color with a dirty white head. Very good lacing. 3/5

Smell- Grassy hop aroma with a sweet malt backbone. Bits of orange as well. 3/5

Taste- Muted but balanced grassy, and earthy hop flavor and malt sweetness. There is earthy bitterness to the very end of it. The bitterness stays with you for a good amount of time. 3/5

Mouthfeel- I would've anticipated a fuller mouthfeel but did not get it, which is just fine by me. The carbonation was a bit high at first but now is just fine. 3/5

Overall- This is a decent beer. Nice easy IPA. I would like a bigger hop aroma and flavor, but I am a crazy, IPA snob. Or so I have been told. 3/5

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Hazy copper pour with a wispy white head. Lacing is great.

S: Intensely malty smell. Piney hops and some grapefruit, but no where near as hoppy as I was expecting.

T: The taste follows the smell, solid malt backbone, caramel and toffee. THe hops are noted, pine, but don't really take over like you'd expect from an IPA. Grapefruit is noted just enough to temper the malts. Hop bitterness on the back.

MF: Decently drinkable, just not balanced enough. Carbonated well.

O: Wanted more hops! Surprisingly unbalanced on the malt side. Still decent, but nothing I'd try again.

3.09/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottle acquired via trade with jchow79 and poured into standard curved shaker-pint glass. There is a blank white strip on the far right (and top) side of the label that looks like it would be perfect for some sort of "freshness date", but nothing is written in the white space. As such, I can only assume it's fresh, and will proceed with reviewing it under that assumption. I sure do wish more breweries would include some sort of freshness info on the bottle...

A: Pours a very copper/brown color, hazy, with a thick bubbly off-white head on top. It left nice lacing on my glass as I worked through the bottle. Well done.

S: The nose isn't overpowering, but I do pick up earthy malt notes and some mild citra.

T: Bitter-sweet beer. The malts are dominating here. Bitter-sweet carbonation comes on first, and is quickly washed away by a great deal of malt sweetness. It finishes with some citrus and bittering hops.

A decent East Coast IPA, I just prefer the "west coast style", personally. More hops, more grapefruit, more citrus, more bitterness, less malts, please! That said, this is a pretty solid example of that "East Coast" style.

M: Carbonation is lively here, and it finishes well with a good thick tongue-coating of citra hops and sticky-sweet malts.

D: I wouldn't be *anxious* to have this one again, but I wouldn't be oppossed to running across it and revisiting it at some point down the line.

3.11/5  rDev -15.9%

Extra courtesy of cosmicevan. Thanks, pal.

Appearance -- Pours a hazed burnt orange hue witha slim foamy white head. A smattering of lace, nothing wild.

Smell -- Quite malty with caramel and toffee aromas along with some floral hops. Not the pungent, resinous beast one would have hoped for, but still pleasant.

Taste -- Floral hops and pine boughs Moderate resinous hop bitterness, but more on the scale of an APA. Sturdy malt backbone culling up caramel and a dab of toffee. Long finish of resin and leafy vegetation.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation. Quaffable.

Overall -- I like it. A nice, flavorful beer with a moderate amount of complexity under 6% abv - this is the kind of beer I'd want to bring to a house party. Would I reach for this when I need a lupulin fix? Probably not, but it's worth a try.

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle purchased from Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY.

Pours a copper amber color, with a half inch head, and a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells like sweet caramel malt, with some pine and a bit of grapefruit.

This one of the maltier IPAs I've had, to its detriment. Fairly astringent bitterness, plus sweet syrupy malt character. Tastes stronger than the ABV suggests, which is weird. Just doesn't work. The hop flavor is more in-line with pine-sol.

Medium bodied, syrupy, rough mouthfeel. Not all that drinkable.

Maybe I need a fresher bottle of this, but it just doesn't quite work for me.

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

Revisted: 17 Jun 10

Thanks goes out to cavedave for this one.

Pours a hazy dark copper color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger foamy off-white head, with lots of sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, very slight hop note, with lots of caramel. The taste is malty, very slight hop note, with lots of caramel, slightly bitter. Medium body. Drinkable, to me, this is not an IPA at all.

Thanks goes out to plaid75 for this one.

Pours a cloudy dark orange color, nice carbonation, tiny off-white head, which then leaves some small islands and sticky lacing. The nose is mostly malty, slight hops, and some caramel. The taste is malty, slightly hoppy, and a good dose of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is definitely not a hoppy IPA, good but not a really good IPA, glad to have had a chance to try though.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

A: When backlighted a rose red coloring shows through filled with a lively sense of effervesce. A strong holding 2 finger whipped cream head structure sits steadily atop providing a nice lace coverage on the vessel.

S: Dry toasted grain and pine are noticeable for aroma. Really strong grainy sense, herbal hops, chives, with some dried lemony flower hops. The flavor shows a lemon-pine hopping with a support of dry toasted grain. Good level of hops, though is sloppy in execution, a bit harsh and unfocused. Lemony flower hops appear midway before a dry lemon-pine hop finish.

M: medium malt base, dry toasted and dry hopped sense on the tongue.

O: Overall the hops are fairly strong on this one, unfortunately they are a bit unfocused, and sloppy flavor wise, a bit harsh, with a linear complexity. Hoppy yet only moderately tasty, nothing that would keep me drinking after one. Shallow experience, sloppy execution overall, only fills a need to scratch a hop fix and wont satisfy your taste needs. Drinks more like a red then an ipa, with a similar malt base and different hop combination may fair better.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Single, twelve-ounce bottle copped from New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street in Manhattan...
Pours a murky, ruddy, tawny, dark-amber hue with a modest foamy head that left a copious amount of lacing around the glass...
Thick aroma dominated by hops and vanilla sugars...
Taste strongly complemented the flavor, however this IPA seemed slightly off-balanced and dominated by a murky, astringent flavor that wasn't too appealing...
Thick mouthfeel dominated by caramel and hops...
Drinkability was decent due to the modest 5.5% ABV...
Good, but not great...

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: pours a clear copper color with a 2" fluffy head. Some spotty lacing develops.

Smell: the aroma is mellow, as some soft citrus and pinecones are barely detectable with your nose in the glass.

Taste: decent caramel malt backbone, but the flavors were unbalanced as the grapefruit citrus was much more pronounced than the piney bitterness.

Mouthfeel: nicely crisp at the start. The finish was less crisp and the strong grapefruit tones continue to stick out when swallowing.

Drinkabililty: very easy to drink, but I would like to see some more piney bitterness up front with this one.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

On tap at the Ginger Man in New York City.

A: The ale is a copper color, even in the darkened bar environment, with a translucent body. The head neared a finger and managed to lace nicely around the glass.

S: The nose is full of grain, concentrated and thick with tart fruits, as though it wants to be a little bit bigger (like a barleywine). General hop bitterness is present but it doesn't coalesce into an identifiable aroma.

T: The ale has a solid grainy backbone, consistent with the nose. Green, tart fruits mark that body. The hops are big, leaving a strong bitterness in the palate that has citrus notes and a scarring bitterness that overdoes the lemon and herb elements. The ale tastes much stronger that the 5.5% lets on.

M: The mouthfeel is bold, strong on both malts and hops. I might even go so far as to say too strong on both.

D: One pint was sufficient for me. I'd give it another shot in the comfort of my own home but probably wouldn't make it a high priority if I were out.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

This beer is about the hops. It is a light brown pour with a quickly dissipating head and decent lacing. The smell is robust hops and the taste follows suit. You have the resin, citrus, oil hop esters in the taste of this beer. You can feel the oils of the hops on the tongue as well. The beer has a strong after taste, nice carbonation, there is a sharp caramel taste that comes through which are the malts popping in at the end. I'm not a strong hops kind of guy so this beer is not to my liking but I'll give it its due. It does have a nice smell and the beer does make a statement. I drank this after having a rather bland beer beforehand, so I might have been a little biased at the time.

3.26/5  rDev -11.9%

Bottle shared by Ken, 12 oz into a tulip.

Pours copper, closer to a golden brown around the edges with a slight haziness in the body. Light cream coloured head, that reduces to a collar with light retention. Nose is malt right off the bat, with some mild and faint citrus notes. I kept going back to this, but was felt it was relatively tame in all regards. Taste is real bitter before any flavour comes through, and evolves into some lemon and harsh citrus notes. Bitterness is fairly dominant, and took over the palate in most respects. Medium high carbonation, and not a ton of body to this.

3.26/5  rDev -11.9%

Cheers to mymrnngjckt for hooking me up with this one. Thanks Kevin!

Appearance: Pours a very deep, cloudy amber color with a half inch of bubbly white head. Has some nice retention and some nice soapy lacing.

Smell: Smell is much sweeter than I expected. There is a slight hoppy snap hiding out somewhere in the back, but it is struggling to come out.

Taste: A sloppy kind of hoppy bitterness mixed in with a robust sweetness. An interesting flavor, but I was hoping for a more clearly defined bitter hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation and a nice medium- to full-body.

Drinkability: Not a bad IPA overall. There sweetness provides some semblance of balance (though I was hoping for a bigger hop punch), there is great presentation in the glass, and it's easy to drink. I've have better, but I've had worse too.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle with a standard pressure cap into a Corsendonk tulip at low altitude.

A: Pours a semi-transparent deep copper color with a two-finger off-white head that leaves spotty lacing. Quite appealing.

S: Tangerine hop character, caramel malts and bready yeast.

T: Caramel and bready malts up front followed by a bit of tangerine and a very bitter hoppy finish. The balance definitely errs on the bitter side.

M: Medium-bodied and wet, but the excessive bitterness makes it a bit difficult to tell what's going on with the mouthfeel.

D: While it has some good IPA characteristics, it's unbalanced and extremely bitter, which detracts greatly in terms of drinkability.

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

hazy dark amber in appearance. Not much head. Very fresh hop aroma, and quite sweet. A little too fruity in the aroma for me. Not real bitter for an IPA, more malty sweetness than hoppy. Really just an average IPA. It's worth a try, and it's good, but so many better IPAs out there.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

This beer was pretty good. It was a fair, amber color; a little on the light side, but overall, the body looked pretty good. A thick, creamy white head with good retention; stayed with me the whole time I drank. The head was very creamy; just resting my lip on the brim of the glass was enjoyable. The smell allowed a little bit of hops to come through but also smelled kind of malty. The taste was very smooth with hints of hops present; nothing too significant but balanced the malts fairly well. The mouthfeel was pretty average; nothing overly impressive. Pretty drinkable beer; nice and smooth.

Hurricane Kitty from Keegan Ales