Hurricane Kitty - Keegan Ales

Hurricane KittyHurricane Kitty

good

Keegan Ales visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Shiredave on 10-22-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane Kitty Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

1.8/5  rDev -51%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a shaker pint.

A: Clear medium-amber body under a huge 4" head os super creamy off-white head (the keg just kicked, so this was a freebie). Tremendous retention and lacing. Excellent.

S: Umm, no. Sourdough bread, rancid apricot, vegetal hops. Pure grossness.

T: All the grossness of the nose, plus some rotting pumpkin (apropos of early November and rapidly-aging jack-o-lanterns), but with a touch of hops bitterness on the tail end that at least give it a marginally clean finish. Still terrible.

M: Lively, frothy medium body. Pretty solid.

O: Boy I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. I'll gladly give it another shot if someone gives me a bottle, but this particular keg was nothing short of disgusting.

Cheers!

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

A very clear brew, yet the taste is drab and unreasonably compromised by yeasts and undesirable yeast byproducts. The sharp bittering only offsets these deficits, enhances their sulfury qualities, and reduces drinkability. Listed as a pale ale on the house readerboard, Hurricane Kitty is light brown in color. Hop flavor and aroma are entirely absent. 5.5% ABV.

2.08/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

finally took a chance on these fine ale purveyors from up the road. The bottle is popped, the loud noise startles me. Will it foam over? No, it rises slowly, I pour. Coppery and fairly clear with a voluminous offwhite head. Chunks of yeasty particulate round out the pour. The aroma is a blend of citrus, grass, funk, and some caramel. Infection..The saddest of ploys on April Fools. The taste isn't bad, but it's not american IPA material. Some hop quality, definite funk aftertaste, a little bit of sweet malt presence, decent bitterness. It is drinkable still but falls far outside my expectations for this beverage. All in all, not bad for a Belgian IPA or pale, but this is not supposed to be as such. Alas, I shall revisit in the future. For now, I have four more to drink.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

This bottle was courtesy of the baddest-ass east-coaster I know: Cuzco.
Nate, you're the fucking bomb. I love you Bro Namath.

Trying to clean out the voice notes on my iphone...
Reviewed from those notes.

This is an orangey amber color. Looks east coast to me... Off-white head... Weak lacing and weak retention.
The nose is malty as hell. Almost no hops, but I detect a touch of grapefruit and a hint of pine. Saddened by the nose here.

The beer is surprisingly drinkable... It is well-balanced, so that adds a lot. But nothing about this beer says, "Awesome IPA." The only thing I hear from this beer is it quietly muttering, "I'm better than some crappy homebrew..."
Not by much Hurricane, not by much... If I brewed this, and it was one of my first batches, I'd be proud, but from a commercial brewery, not so much.
The finish is much drier than the initial taste, but that might just be a piney oily resin vibe helping to dry it out.

This just isn't my favorite attempt at my least favorite take on a style that I love. Glad to have tried it, but won't order one if I see it.

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hurricane Kitty... hm, odd name, alright, I'll give it a crack. Goes into my Sam Adams glass looking like any other IPA, clear and coppery and with a fine looking fat rocky head. I'm shocked though, at the amount of yeast (I hope it's yeast...) sediment that falls into the glass. I mean, we're talking big white chunks that look not unlike tonsiliths... ::shudder:: I decide timidity is the way to proceed and leave a good quarter inch of Kitty in the bottle. Not all the yeast settles out. Oh boy.

Smells quite malty, toasted grain and maybe a little maple. Surely not vanilla? Hops are there, citrus and fairly vague. Smells a little weird, actually... musty and... cardboard. Hmm.

Tastes pretty poor to boot. Too much caramel here, plus a weird malt sweetness that is not balanced by the hops and some funky yeast. Hops are bitter and a little medicinal. It's a pity, I wanted to like this one... the name is cool... but I don't think this warrants finishing the bottle.

Mouthfeel is okay, nothing big. Finish is slightly dry and leaves a taste of strange caramel and reminds me of old books and aspirin.

Hurricane Kitty is, unfortunately, going down the drain. I hate it when this happens, but ya gotta call 'em like ya drink 'em. A very average take on the American IPA.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

Thanks again to Rhettroactive for sharing some of his NYC bounty with yours truly!

I enjoyed this beer in a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy copper orange color, pretty standard for an IPA as far as I've seen. A cream colored, quarter finger head settles at the top of the glass. Good lacing sticks to the sides of the glass. Solid.

S: Faint, faint, faint citrus and some light, sweet malt. I'm not getting much on this one.

T: Earthy hops with just a hint of piney citrus flavor. This is definitely a maltier, more bitter IPA. For what it is, it's decent, but I'm not hugely impressed.

M: It's carbonated well and pretty well balanced. Nicely done.

O: I'm not sure what Keegan is trying to do here, but it didn't work for me. What you have is an earthy, bitter, malty IPA, with almost none of the citrus and pine notes I cherish in the style. The flavor isn't bad, but it certainly isn't memorable, nor would I immediately identify it as an IPA. The most mild smelling IPA I've ever sniffed. There's no date on the bottle, but this one may be a little stale. I'll give it another shot if I come across it, but based on this tasting I can't recommend.

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

A - a beautiful amber body with waaaayyyy too much head (4 fingers!). looks very nice regardless

S - sweet, malty, hoppy, earthy, slight citrus, fruity, very floral

T - very earthy, slightly bitter, slight metallic taste, toasted grains

M - very fizzy, a ton of head until the bottom of the glass made this one a little annoying to drink

O - i think i may have gotten a bottle that was sitting on the shelf for too long. i've heard/read good things about this beer to have it end up like this - need to give it another shot with a fresh batch

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Bottle courtesy of joeybeerbelly as an extra.

Coppery golden pour, decent head... Wow, loads of sediment in this and I mean tons... I can usually make it through these but this looks chunky...yeech...

Bitter hop smell with a small amount of malt...

Very bitter hoppy taste... Sort of metallic...

Glad I got to give this one a go but I don't think I would buy this were it available..

2.9/5  rDev -21%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 8/16/11
*From notes

A: A filtered dark crimson-amber. A standard pour yields a 1.5 finger head and some decent lacing.

S: Musty marmalade. It's got a raisinated quality to it. I'm not sure how fresh this is.

T: Cellared hops and pine. It's resiny, but not in a good way. It's got a concentrated nature to it, making the faded hops all the more dissapointing.

M: Great texture and proper carbonation. It's simply too bad the beer didn't meet the bar set by the mouthfeel.

O: Keegan's Hurricane Kitty, at least in this presentation, was quite a letdown. I'm under the impression that I picked up a stale sixer (shame on you, Bowery St. Whole Foods!), and therefore this review may be written under false pretenses. None the less, the bottle I consumed was simply to uptight, and didn't showcase any of the qualities I look for within the style, east or west coast be damned.

I'd certainly try this again (preferably on tap), but in the mean time, it won't be getting my recommendation.

Hurricane Kitty from Keegan Ales