Hurricane Kitty - Keegan Ales

good

Keegan Ales visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Shiredave on 10-22-2003

This brew is a coppery and heavily hopped India Pale Ale. Named after brewmaster Keegan’s grandmother whose driving earned her quite a reputation with local police racing her six children to and from a local Long Island beach ferry during the 1960’s, Hurricane Kitty is the undisputed family favorite. We try to make the hop bill read as aggressively as her driver’s record.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane Kitty Alström Bros
Ratings: 379 | Reviews: 169
3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Dark hazy brown with a nice bit of opaque colored head. Sticky lacing is moderate.

S - Earthy strong hops with some standard sweet malts backing. Bit of skunk.

T - A pretty smooth IPA with earthy bitter hops flavors, a touch of leaf hops, and some caramel soaked malts.

M - Body is a bit thin for the style but filtered and drinkable.

Overall not distributed to my area but not a bad IPA. Would consider again if I was in the New York area.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Enjoyed out of standard bottle.

A medium hoppy beer with a smoothe bitter finsish. Reminds me of a well above average red/amber ale.

You can enjoy a few of these but not an all-nighter. First try for me on Keegan's and happy so will give the rest of there line-up a try and review.

Got this from Cosmicevan. Thanks!
No date on this 12oz bottle that I could find. Poured into a red wine glass.

Appearance- Hazy red color with a dirty white head. Very good lacing. 3/5

Smell- Grassy hop aroma with a sweet malt backbone. Bits of orange as well. 3/5

Taste- Muted but balanced grassy, and earthy hop flavor and malt sweetness. There is earthy bitterness to the very end of it. The bitterness stays with you for a good amount of time. 3/5

Mouthfeel- I would've anticipated a fuller mouthfeel but did not get it, which is just fine by me. The carbonation was a bit high at first but now is just fine. 3/5

Overall- This is a decent beer. Nice easy IPA. I would like a bigger hop aroma and flavor, but I am a crazy, IPA snob. Or so I have been told. 3/5

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Quite the gusher, with the quid pro quo being that the head is huge, the retention is fantastic and the lacing impressive; still, marking it down for the gush

Smell: Pine-Sol, almost camphorated, with caramel malt undertones

Taste: Bread and caramel, up front, with a growing piney bitterness that develops at mid-palate; rather balanced into the finish, as the hops aren't able to sustain the momentum

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: At one time this beer was apparently called an Amber IPA, which makes sense in a style-bending way as this beer would score a lot higher as an Amber than it does as an IPA

1.81/5  rDev -50.5%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a shaker pint.

A: Clear medium-amber body under a huge 4" head os super creamy off-white head (the keg just kicked, so this was a freebie). Tremendous retention and lacing. Excellent.

S: Umm, no. Sourdough bread, rancid apricot, vegetal hops. Pure grossness.

T: All the grossness of the nose, plus some rotting pumpkin (apropos of early November and rapidly-aging jack-o-lanterns), but with a touch of hops bitterness on the tail end that at least give it a marginally clean finish. Still terrible.

M: Lively, frothy medium body. Pretty solid.

O: Boy I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. I'll gladly give it another shot if someone gives me a bottle, but this particular keg was nothing short of disgusting.

Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

It smells like grapefruit and some sour funky fruits mixing in with the toffee caramel malt smell. Odd smell. The taste is all sweet toffee chewy caramel malt and then ending with an earthy, herbal, grapefruit and slightly piney hop bitterness.

A very good beer with a pretty thick malt backbone with the hops only coming through on the end but coming in pretty strong to remind you its an IPA. In the front it tastes like a really good amber ale.

To me this is like an Amber IPA. I know there isn't such a thing but thats what it tastes like to me. Their is a bit of that for lack of a better term funky fruit taste in the aftertaste but I know thats from the high alpha hops with the special malt bill they picked for the beer. All around good IPA.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Hazy copper pour with a wispy white head. Lacing is great.

S: Intensely malty smell. Piney hops and some grapefruit, but no where near as hoppy as I was expecting.

T: The taste follows the smell, solid malt backbone, caramel and toffee. THe hops are noted, pine, but don't really take over like you'd expect from an IPA. Grapefruit is noted just enough to temper the malts. Hop bitterness on the back.

MF: Decently drinkable, just not balanced enough. Carbonated well.

O: Wanted more hops! Surprisingly unbalanced on the malt side. Still decent, but nothing I'd try again.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 12oz into a pint glass.

Appearance: Copper orange with a finger of white head and fine carbonation and lacing.

Smells: floral and quite malty. a pine note with caramel.

Tastes: more hops than the smell lets out (nice), a pine taste comes in the middle and combines with the bitter floral taste which is also very nice.

Mouthfeel: frothy and pleasant long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: a great buy, I am interested in trying more of their brews, because its the only option at the store by me.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

Extra courtesy of cosmicevan. Thanks, pal.

Appearance -- Pours a hazed burnt orange hue witha slim foamy white head. A smattering of lace, nothing wild.

Smell -- Quite malty with caramel and toffee aromas along with some floral hops. Not the pungent, resinous beast one would have hoped for, but still pleasant.

Taste -- Floral hops and pine boughs Moderate resinous hop bitterness, but more on the scale of an APA. Sturdy malt backbone culling up caramel and a dab of toffee. Long finish of resin and leafy vegetation.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation. Quaffable.

Overall -- I like it. A nice, flavorful beer with a moderate amount of complexity under 6% abv - this is the kind of beer I'd want to bring to a house party. Would I reach for this when I need a lupulin fix? Probably not, but it's worth a try.

2.48/5  rDev -32.2%

This bottle was courtesy of the baddest-ass east-coaster I know: Cuzco.
Nate, you're the fucking bomb. I love you Bro Namath.

Trying to clean out the voice notes on my iphone...
Reviewed from those notes.

This is an orangey amber color. Looks east coast to me... Off-white head... Weak lacing and weak retention.
The nose is malty as hell. Almost no hops, but I detect a touch of grapefruit and a hint of pine. Saddened by the nose here.

The beer is surprisingly drinkable... It is well-balanced, so that adds a lot. But nothing about this beer says, "Awesome IPA." The only thing I hear from this beer is it quietly muttering, "I'm better than some crappy homebrew..."
Not by much Hurricane, not by much... If I brewed this, and it was one of my first batches, I'd be proud, but from a commercial brewery, not so much.
The finish is much drier than the initial taste, but that might just be a piney oily resin vibe helping to dry it out.

This just isn't my favorite attempt at my least favorite take on a style that I love. Glad to have tried it, but won't order one if I see it.

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

Had this one at the brewery on tap. Very clear amber beer with a good amount of head and lace. Aromas mildly redolent of citrus and malt. In the mouth this is a very balanced IPA - malts and citrus hops, not boozy in the least. Maybe after drinking all the incredible hop bombs on the market today, not to mention the simply delicious and complex IPAs available, this one was a bit boring. The bartender talked up its balance and the brewery's aim to not create an overly hopped, one dimensional IPA, and they succeeded in one respect...it's not really hoppy at all by today's standards. Unfortunately it turned out to be pretty forgettable and unimpressive. I wanted to like this one but it's just a little bit boring. Not terrible by any means but not something I'd go out of the way to get. Really like this brewery's stouts so I feel bad about knocking them for this but it's simply not that exciting an IPA.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

Well, Hurricane Irene is currently ravaging the area, so what better beer to drink?

Pours a dark red color with two full fingers of fluffy foam. Great lacing. Aroma has a nice crystal malt sweetness, cut by a nice grassy hop aroma.

first sip is quite malty, some definite crystal malt flavor, but it is quickly cut by a sharp hop bitterness. Pretty nicely balanced for an IPA. Almost seems like an imperial amber ale, due to the color and amount of sweetness.

This is the first beer that I've had from this brewery, and I'd say it's a very good example of an East-coast style IPA. I know my local place had a Milk Stout from them , so I'll probably get that next time I'm there, based on the quality of this beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

We interrupt the Sierra Nevada Beercamp box to bring you this review.

I mean, what else would I have while Hurricane Irene is pouring down outside?

Hazy orange, slightly on the dark side, topped by a big billowing just-off-white fluffy, bubbly head. Okay but not impressive lacing.

Predominately pine aroma, hints of citrus. Could be turned up a notch, but pleasant.

Nice deep semi-sweet caramelly malt base. Earthy hops, but plenty of them. Good depth to the flavors. Nice bitterness without excessive abrasiveness.

Good firm mouthfeel holds things together tightly.

An enjoyable East Coast IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

On my kegerator it's the ipa until I make some. Set the CO2 just enough to push this lovely brew from the keg to my favorite glass and it always creates a beautiful foam that lasts and laces the glass with globs of head that is there until the last sip. The aroma is a blend of hops and malt, there to introduce themselves to you. Follow that with a flavor blend of crystal malts and some hop bitterness leading to a satisfying finish. Medium body dry leads to watery palate easy carbonation nice brew.

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 8/16/11
*From notes

A: A filtered dark crimson-amber. A standard pour yields a 1.5 finger head and some decent lacing.

S: Musty marmalade. It's got a raisinated quality to it. I'm not sure how fresh this is.

T: Cellared hops and pine. It's resiny, but not in a good way. It's got a concentrated nature to it, making the faded hops all the more dissapointing.

M: Great texture and proper carbonation. It's simply too bad the beer didn't meet the bar set by the mouthfeel.

O: Keegan's Hurricane Kitty, at least in this presentation, was quite a letdown. I'm under the impression that I picked up a stale sixer (shame on you, Bowery St. Whole Foods!), and therefore this review may be written under false pretenses. None the less, the bottle I consumed was simply to uptight, and didn't showcase any of the qualities I look for within the style, east or west coast be damned.

I'd certainly try this again (preferably on tap), but in the mean time, it won't be getting my recommendation.

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks again to Rhettroactive for sharing some of his NYC bounty with yours truly!

I enjoyed this beer in a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy copper orange color, pretty standard for an IPA as far as I've seen. A cream colored, quarter finger head settles at the top of the glass. Good lacing sticks to the sides of the glass. Solid.

S: Faint, faint, faint citrus and some light, sweet malt. I'm not getting much on this one.

T: Earthy hops with just a hint of piney citrus flavor. This is definitely a maltier, more bitter IPA. For what it is, it's decent, but I'm not hugely impressed.

M: It's carbonated well and pretty well balanced. Nicely done.

O: I'm not sure what Keegan is trying to do here, but it didn't work for me. What you have is an earthy, bitter, malty IPA, with almost none of the citrus and pine notes I cherish in the style. The flavor isn't bad, but it certainly isn't memorable, nor would I immediately identify it as an IPA. The most mild smelling IPA I've ever sniffed. There's no date on the bottle, but this one may be a little stale. I'll give it another shot if I come across it, but based on this tasting I can't recommend.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly hazed golden orange with an off white head and a few larger bubbles. The nose is stale bread and raw dough, pale malts, faint spiced herbal hop. The flavor is again very bready and dough, stale, note of rye, herbal spice and light bitterness. The feel is a bit heavy, semi dry finish, nice carb. Overly stale and bready with not enough hop presence.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Sampling a room temp bottle poured into a pint glass.

The beer pours a clear copper hue with creamy eggshell white head of 3 cm foaming up with a gentle pour. Gradually recedes to a sturdy surface layer and leaves tight lattice as it fades and after each sip.

Aroma is rich floral hops and some citrusy grapefruit. A little grainy malt shines through but mostly nice hop profile without punching you in the nose.

First sip reveals an average to light body with minimal rolling carbonation.
Flavor is grainy malt followed quickly by grassy and rindy hops with a little general bitterness on the finish. Fairly dry on the finish as well and pushes me to drink another sip. The beer is not really complex but is enjoyable and no flaws are present that I can detect. Quite a nice IPA that could be enjoyed over more than one pint without palate death or boredom.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Always have heard good things about this IPA, thought it was time for a go.

Pours a deep copper red hue, much darker than most IPAs. A finger and a half of thick and rocky off white colored head forms that doesn't seem to mind sticking around for a bit. Plenty of sticky lacing left behind as it slowly dies down to film cover.

Aromas are balanced and flavorful; a pleasant mix of earthy hops, citrus rind and serious malty caramel/nut notes. Not as hop forward as most IPAs, but I was anticipating that from the deeper color that this wasn't going to swing that way.

Despite the malt emphasis on the nose, the grapefruit kicks you in the face initially on this one. Although, the malt does makes its presence well known in the finish, contributing a sweet bready flavoring to round it out. Lingering, yet subtle hop bitterness throughout. Pretty nice IPA, though hop-heads will be disappointed.

Medium to heavy body with some thick and rich characteristics. Finishes semi-dry with a slightly sticky nature. Pretty filling, yet doesn't pack the ABV punch you'd expect for the body type.

Overall, an admirable, yet kind of different take on a classic IPA. Easy to find and a good bang for the buck, I'd buy it again.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

A nice copper with a good sized head. Not much lacing but there is some. Smell has a big toasted malt and butterscotch and center with notes of honey and citrus. Taste is nicely balanced with a butterscotch and toffee backbone with a nice grapefruit hoppiness. A dry graininess as well as slightly nutty. Gooood bitter finish that is dry and clean with a touch of hop oil and graham lingering... Gently effervescent feel with a creamy, quenching touch. An easy drinking IPA that is well balanced and quaffable in the highest.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

A - Pours copper, half a fingers-worth of white head, some spotty lacing and a thin ring around the glass remains. Some whisps here and there on top.

S - Citrus, nice malt notes, slight bitterness. Not exactly sure how old this bottle is, but it's lost some hops, that's for sure.

T - Grapefruits first and foremost, some citrus hops, slight bitterness, subtle malt character. Really nice mix of hops and malts. Not sure if this is old or not, but it's pretty darn good.

M - Light, good carbonation for the style, crisp and refreshing, oily finish.

D - Great IPA, smooth and mellow

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Had a sixteen ounce pour of this beer at the Amsterdam Ale House on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Not my favorite IPA but not bad. Maybe more of a hoppy pale, not quite hoppy enough to be an ipa.

Appearance was a little darker than expected, somewhat cloudy and a very active head, over two inches.

Aroma combined hops and bready malt. Not bad.

Flavor was refreshing with some piney hops on the front and a nice malt finish on the back.

Overall a pretty nice beer but not my favorite IPA.

3.77/5  rDev +3%

Props to Totowa for allowing me to buy this via the single bottle. I had the Keegan Rye years ago at the Hop Devil Grill in New York and am glad that I can now buy their beers via retail. Wasn't sure what to expect from this when I bought it and although this was about as mellow as this style gets, I enjoyed it as a less intense take on an American IPA.

Decent pour to this, with an almond hue and some head. The lacing was moderate but not that long-lasting either. This beer had a decent array of flavors in the mouthfeel, starting with a floral kick that gave way to slight caramel in the middle and pine/citrus mix in the back. The carbonation was light but the mouthfeel was well-balanced. Hopheads will be disappointed here and the slight amount of resin and oil in the beer's makeup lingers just as long in the aftertaste as the flavors. Not a lot of burning here either as this beer is about as mellow as an IPA gets.

This is nearly a session beer too as the alcohol is much less than I anticipated when I bought this. The slightly dry-hopped aftertaste is just enough to remind me of what type of beer this is, but it's not like other IPA's that I've had lately. Someone looking for a Pale Ale with a little extra outside of the alcohol department will be pleasantly surprised with this and in a subtle way, this can match up with the milder west coast Pale Ales. This is worth a try for anyone looking for a hoppy beer with some body and an easygoing nature to it.

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

I give enough of these out as extras so figured high time for me to pop my thoughts about the brew down.

a - opened bottle and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip. a bit more brown and red that i'm used to for an ipa, but not all that uncommon. clear with a darker heart than edge and visible carbonation and a nice frothy head that hung out for dessert. lacing was also pretty thick and chunky.

s - the typical sticky pine is there, but the malt core really comes through. nice balance, but not one for the hop heads. a touch sweaty and musty.

t - taste leads with the malt and has a subtle hop bittering at the finish. there is some stickiness to it, but nothing crazy. this is a good ipa for someone who isn't a fan of huge hops but likes a bit of bittering. it is subtle.

m - pretty full bodied. very rich and ends slightly bitter. feels much thicker than an IPA of this ABV would be...it is somewhat interesting having that thickness without the booziness you might expect.

o - overall this is a good ipa. like i mentioned earlier, not one for the hopheads

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

ok last one of the three i tried from this neat brewery in hudson valley

poured into my glass a copper color had a real nice brilliance to it head various sized bubbles real nice lasting power

smelled faint in the beginning then i let it warm up a bit you definitely could pick out some nice fruity hops and esters there

tastes nice real good balance the hops are not overwhelming at all i wish it had a little more horsepower in there but still a good beer for sure

mouthfeel a bit hanging dry there because not enough pop in the carbonation

overall a good beer though i could see this as a nice go-to ipa if you lived in the area like their beers

Hurricane Kitty from Keegan Ales