Mothers Milk Stout - Keegan Ales

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiredave on 03-07-2004

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours an almost opaque dark brown with a small layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass. 3.5

Smell: You can definitely tell this is a milk stout. Sweetness is dominant over the roast with a hint of honey. 4

Taste: I'm enjoying this a lot. The roast is quite smooth and the sweetness reminds me of honey. Not picking up as much lactose here as I did in the smell. Slight bitterness to the finish. 4

Mouthfeel: The body is medium and very smooth. The carbonation is tingly and the finish is mildly dry. 4

Overall: Really happy I got this as an extra in a trade. Would have another.4

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at the brewery. Poured into pint glass.
Thick black; nice white foam.
Roasted malty aromas, with similar flavor. Roasted malty; slight coffee as well.
Good stout. Not amazing, but really nice and smooth drinkable stout. Worth a try if you want a good stout for the masses...

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Drank on tap, perfectly poured into a proper stout glass.

A-deep and dark brown/black color with a mocha cream head that thins out and leaves behind a bit of lacing.

S-sweet roasted malts and coffee and chocolate.

T-roasted malt sweetness and coffee dominate the flavor of this pungent stout. A dry finish helps the flavor linger.

M-thin and watery, no sign of any body that the lactose additives are supposed to provide.

O-looks and tastes very good. I like stout and I'll go back to this one.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A - nice dark brown in color with a foamy 2 fingers thick dark tan head, leaving behind great amounts of lacing

S - sweet, malty, chocolate, oatmeal

T - sweet with a dry finish, taste of toasted grains, chocolate

M - smooth at first with a thick after feel

O - i like this stout a lot, but it's not as good as joe mama's milk stout!!

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Pitch black with a nice full inch of mocha colored head. Nice looking stout.

S - Mild smelling but smells of lactose, coffee, and chocolates.

T - Wow this is good it's a very light drink but has more body than Left hands milk stout. Sugar coffee flavors and mild chocolates make this beer delicious.

M - Medium bodied not think so drink ability is good.

Overall man I should have got some more of this. About to try a left hand again to see if it's this good but a very solid milk stout that I would love to try again.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had three pints of this incredibly odd but delicious dark coca cola colored brew.

The head is of a soapy and creamy froth that dwindles in a minute or two.

Taste is the main selling point, you can relate this brew to a sweeter version of Guinness, yet not as filling.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The brew itself drinks like Milk, so be forewarned. Definitely good for the winter months season, and is a worthy find indeed.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

12 bottle given to me by Cosmicevan. Thanks. No bottle date that I could find.

Appearance- Black with very little head ends in a small film. No lacing. 3/5

Smell- Kind of a funky (old?) coffee aroma. Bits of chocolate. Some vanilla. 3/5

Taste- Coffee and bits chocolate. Some vanilla in the end. 3/5

Mouthfeel- Starts out creamy and ends a little thin. Still, it sticks to your mouth. 3/5

Overall- Good. I don't know if this would be something I would get again and again, but I would have it from time to time. 3/5

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown/black with a one-finger, off-white, creamy head that lasted a couple of minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Milk sweetness, roasted and caramel malt. Mild.

T: Moderate sweetness and light bitterness. Milk and bread. Hints of chocolate. Mild overall.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Smooth.

O: This is an okay milk stout, but the Left Hand and Lancaster milk stouts are better in my opinion.

3.22/5  rDev -15.3%

I'm conducting a three-way taste test of milk stouts tonight. This is the second beer in the line up, with the others being Butternuts' Moo Thunder Stout and Left Hand's Milk Stout.

This beer had a fizzy beige head that dissipated pretty quickly, about the same as the Left Hand stout. It's pretty much all black, but when I hold it to the light a TINY amount of brown shows.

The aroma has some sort of red wine thing going on, reminiscent of Anchor Porter or the Famous Taddy Porter. Maybe I smell some lactose, but I don't think I would have detected it if I didn't know it was a milk stout.

The taste, once again, reminds me of those aforementioned porters: red wine. Earlier tonight I read a thread where the OP said he had a bad bottle of Anchor Porter and said it had a vinegar taste. The power of suggestion may have planted that taste in my mind, but I'm also tasting that. I taste a little milk chocolate on the finish, but it's overpowered by the wine-y and vinegar flavors.

This beer does have a better mouthfeel. Not too thin, not too viscous.

The taste profile makes me wonder how fresh this bottle is. With no freshness date on the bottle, I can't adjust my score to reflect any possible degradation from age. I can drink this, but I probably won't be revisiting this beer after I finish the six pack.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%