St. Austell Tribute Premium Cornish Ale - St. Austell Brewery

St. Austell Tribute Premium Cornish AleSt. Austell Tribute Premium Cornish Ale

St. Austell Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.20% ABV

The South West's favourite beer. Tribute is a huge supporter of sport in the region. It is the official beer of South West Rugby Union, sponsor of both Somerset & Gloucestershire County Cricket Clubs, the Cornish Pilot Gig Association as well as a keen supporter of Plymouth Argyle & Exeter City football clubs. Customers and publicans love Tribute as it's light, hoppy, zesty, easy to drink and consistently delicious.

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-29-2003)
4.8/5  rDev +27.7%

This was a wonderful surprise. I am here in London studying abroad when I stumbled upon a pub with my friends in which we discovered this hidden gem. I asked the barkeep for a recommendation. They followed by asking what I liked and I said surprise me! This is a wonderful beer with a sweet taste but by no means overpowering. It has a great poor and looks great with the golden yellow color. It may seem weak and inferior to other dark beers of Europe but I promise you, Tribute will make your trip wonderful.

Not too frothy, good color, great taste, sweet not bitter, pours well, and drinks veryyy smooth. Please try it.

mdbeerlover11, Feb 04, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +20.5%

I'm a typical english ale kinda guy, and when I was travelling around england couple of months ago I tried as many as I can. Till this day, every cell in my body still cries out for another pint of tribute as my country in asia doesnt have this.

Beer wasn't as clear in appearance, had a nice mild inviting smell to it. Taste is pale ale at its best, not too overly bitter. Some beers greet you with an immediate big taste but goes flat after that. This one is the opposite, it grows on you and you just want another pint. The aftertaste is very pleasant and still taste wonderful even after it has lost some temperature.

it goes down smoothly, and im not sure if its anything to do with the cornish waters

weiht, Oct 29, 2009

brutalist, Jul 01, 2012

moneyfunnel, May 03, 2012

andyhurley, Aug 03, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on hand-pump at Heathrow this morning with my breakfast. Had two, just to make sure I was drinking the right one :-)

Surprised this is listed as an English Bitter, cause it has far more aroma and flavor than the traditional bitter.

Poured with a soft, off-white head over a cloudy, amber golden hued body. Looks stronger than most bitters. Great lacing.

Aromas have a good malty, bready, spicy quality. Great hop profile of apricot and tropical tree fruit.

Flavor profile features a big cardamom, ginger, and slight cinnamon spice. Dark bread quality there, too - somewhere between pumpernickel and whole wheat.

Mouthfeel is on the crisp and bright side for a typical cask ale with this much flavor, but still pretty creamy and smooth. Pretty darn drinkable, IMHO. Tons of flavor, and low ABV... the ultimate combination!

BeerImmediately, May 25, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahhhh.... a summer of drinking English bitters/brown ales. I love that there's such a nice resurgence of cask ales in the UK since I last spent a summer there.

But my favorite of the summer was Tribute. It's clearly typical of style as a brown-ish English ale, but it also very nicely moves beyond style. The nose and the taste are key. There's a floral-ness to it, almost moving in the direction of an American-style pale ale. Indeed, this brewery clearly knows how to use hops for both flavoring (late in the boil) and for some aroma (dry hopped?).

There are definitely better styles of beer in the world today. But I still love those English cask ales, and they're tough to beat as session beers. This is one of the best. I'm back in the states now, and I'll definitely miss hitting my local for a pint of Tribute.

markbatonrouge, Aug 12, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

500 ml bottle poured into a Pint glass
App---amber colour with a white head (1,5 finger) not lasting
Aroma--- malt, citron and wet herbs
Taste--- starts with a mix of light citrus and bitterness, bitterness lasting for a good while in a dry finish (for an English ale)
Mouthfeel--- medium body & carbonation, great balance in mouth with a nice dry finish
Overall--- balanced and classical but the dry touch at the end adds a little innovation for an English ale

Jetulio, Dec 11, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

vvlebedev, Aug 27, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +13%

sydneyMTBdog, Oct 13, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +13%

beerman999999, Sep 14, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amber gold with loose white foam that disappointingly fades fast. Red grapefruit and pomegranate, toasted hazelnut and touch of citrus oil - bright, fruity and appetizing.
Cherry scone, vanilla, melted caramel and smooth butter cookie malts with a hint of golden raisin or honey pear then Willamette blackberry and cedary orange from the hops.
Orange sorbet end and sandalwood linger. Smooth, round, medium.

Big juicy perfumed bitter with layers of fruit giving way to more oily spice - not always easy to tell which is malt and which is hops. St Austell uses American hops very judiciously. Unique, first rate bitter.

3rd top beer in a row from this brewery.

StJamesGate, Nov 30, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Sampled on 12 July 2007 at the Red Bull (I think) across the street from Manchester Piccadilly. Described as a Cornish Ale on the Tap Handle.

This was poured from the hand pull into the appropriate Pint with logo. Pour was a clear golden amber yielding a half inch head with a bit of staying power. Aromas were light a sweet with a hint of fruit.

The gents I was with helped me to appreciate the slightly chewy biscuity malts in this one while I initially was quite enjoying the slightly citrusy hops with the subtly dry and bitter finish. The balance was very nice between the two.

This was one very nice Pint. Too bad that everywhere I go I try and work my way across the taps and try everything available because I could have drank a few more of these. Very impressed.

gpcollen1, Jul 18, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

My first trip to the UK and this brew caught my eye in the White Horse, my first Pub, located in Oxford.

Appearance- Nice golden brown color with a quickly dissolving head, leaving small wisps of foam around the glass.

Smell- has a sweet, aromatic smell, not pungent at all. Naturally, gives you warm feelings all over

Taste- low bitterness level, APV was I believe 4.3%(I was amazed that the pubs give the APV right on the menus!). Didn't leave a drawn out aftertaste, and went well with my chicken baguette.

Mouthfeel- Considering the difference between American and English styles of storage, English generally having their beers cool not ice cold, I was apprehensive about how I would like it. I feel that I would have actually enjoyed the beer less if it was ice cold. Felt thicker then American Ales, and went down easy.

Drinkability- exceptional as the rating states. A nice blend of strength and taste. Makes a great first beer in England.

mikeal1917, Jul 17, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

This is a real nice Bitter and confirms my growing appreciation of the style. In fact other than Butcombe this is pretty much my favourite.

It has a nice fruity mildly bitter smell. It is also slightly spicey - is it coriander I taste? Hmm very nice composition in all and does not have an overly dry aftertaste

Another round please!

DerBayer, Sep 25, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Amber color. Made a two finger head that dissipated quickly.
Sweet aroma of caramels, tropical fruits and herbal hops. Hints of plums and citrus.
Delicious taste, malty and sweet. Touches of oranges, tropical fruits, Brazilian guaraná, biscuits, toffee and malts that are hard to find elsewhere. Pleasant bitterness that slowly fades away making you beg for another sip.
Light to medium body with medium carbonation with small bubbles.
Very well balanced being able to match a myriad of flavors, from nice malts and hops and still being very refreshing and with high drinkability. Top notch beer for all occasions.

FLima, Dec 22, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Drank in the 'Mad Bishop and Bear' on the top level at Paddington Station, London. It was the guest beer at this well known Fullers Pub.

Poured into the correct pint sleeve glass with the Tribute logo on both sides.

Good solid amber colour, clear and bright, the white head stuck to the glass as I drank my way down the pint.

The aroma was purely of hops, as was the overall taste and mouthfeel, a very nice beer indeed. I had forgotten how much I liked this beer, glad I found it again.

BlackHaddock, May 13, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Served in a nonic pint glass at Dirty Dick's, London
It pours a brassy golden color with a medium-sized bubbly white head along with some patchy and trailing lacing.
Smells of dried hay, resinous hops, dry wild flowers, green apple and limes are noticed throughout in varying degrees.
A taste of green tea flows forward, dry biscuity malt and a slightly metallic hop bitterness inches through. A hint of limes and a lingering minty herbal flavor inches in as it warms.
Really a delightful, easy drinker!

BeerResearcher, Oct 18, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

On a hot sunny afternoon in a Devonshire pub garden Tribute seemed the logical choice.

Very light in colour and lively and sharp in taste.
Quite a hoppy presence both in aroma and taste, but not overbearing. For me this is definately an afternoon pint and probably sunny one at that. Of it's type this is one of the best i've tasted, beaten only by Saxon from Cheltenham's Battledown Brewery.

GallowsOak, Jul 25, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Good 4.2% pale amber zesty ale. Long lasting white head, fruity on the nose, biscuity flavour with juicy fruit flavours from the hops. Pint served from hand pump at "The Old Custom House Padstow" after a free sample and detailed comparisons to other ales on offer (also offered free samples for these) courtesy of Duncan. May take his recommendation of the slightly stronger and hoppier "Proper Job". Have both a bottle of Tribute and Proper Job and also "Trelawny" to take home, nicely boxed for fathers day, I am a father after all.

Tobiasmjh, Jun 15, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Had this beer in bottles, on tap and fresh from the brewery. It is a great beer every way. Originally brewed as a special, this is now St. Austell's flagship beer. Brewed using their own special malt, Cornish Gold, and Maris Otter. I get an pint of Tribute every time I get a chance.

Mountainmanbrewing, Sep 01, 2013