Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 549 | Reviews: 275
1.14/5  rDev -56.7%

Probably the worst IPA I've ever had

2.61/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not what I'd consider an IPA. Yeah, an IPA doesn't have to be a hop bomb, but there was nothing in the look, smell or taste to differentiate it from your average adjunct lager.

2.7/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is not an IPA, so don't drink this beer expecting an IPA. If you drink this knowing this information, you're able to enjoy this.

1.24/5  rDev -52.9%

Not an IPA. Tastes like a mass produced Pilsner

Claims to be an ipa, but almost indistinguishable from an adjunct lager. This beer has issues.

When enjoyed on tap in Halifax on the Harbour at the Lower Deck with some great Canadian band, nothing else seems quite as good, though I never like it as much otherwise.

1.88/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Bright straw color, almost golden, with strong activity. White 0.5 finger head lasting around 5 minutes with below average legs.

Faint aromas and flavors of grains, citrus, corn, herbal spices. Slightly grainy and lemony sweetness with some hoppy bitterness. Feels grassy, a little wet cardboard, and metallic.

Light body with high carbonation. Faint finish of moderate length ending with minimal herbal spiciness.

Overall a weak IPA; while the freshness is good, the flavors are too bland without personality, almost tasting like adjunct lagers.

1.96/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Perhaps the worst IPA ever.

3.52/5  rDev +33.8%

A nice session ale and great beer for those just starting to drink hoppier beers. Not a India Pale Ale in any sense, though.

1.11/5  rDev -57.8%

I recently inquired at the bar in a restaurant in Banff whether they had any IPAs. The bartender said “not really,” but mentioned the Alexander Keith's IPA, so (against his advice) I ordered one. I initially assumed that I had been served some other type of beer, given the very low hop rate and prominent sweetness. I also thought I detected a slight banana - clove essence like you get from the type of yeast normally used for wheat beers; if so, that is definitely not a characteristic of IPA. So, as it turned out, I WAS served some other type of beer. In any event, since I have a low tolerance for sweetness and dislike wheat beer yeasts, I left the remainder of the bottle. Have they checked any style guidelines? This “IPA” lacks the three distinguishing characteristics of an IPA: (1) a high hopping rate, (2) the proper grain bill, and (3) an ale yeast.

I was about to warn my companions not to order this beer, but then it occurred to me that it might be amusing to watch the expressions on their faces when they tried it. But, I couldn’t go through with it, so I had them taste mine instead.

Everyone was incredulous (that it is sold as an IPA). It was kind of funny (but the joke was on me). “IPA” - ha!

I can't in good conscience rate this anything other than very low. Not only is it not an IPA (English- or American-style), it just tasted bad (to me). Of course, I was expecting something hoppy with a rich mouthfeel.

Decent beer from canada, martime tradition.

2.43/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

A- pours a crystal clear straw color almost like water, with a small fizzy white head that retains nicely long after the pour

S- very sweet aroma with some grainy malt, it actually smells like apple juice, not really picking up any hops

T- slightly sweet up front with notes of pear and apple juice, grains, having trouble picking up even a trace of hop flavor, watery finish

M- light water body with medium carbonation leads to a thin but foamy mouthfeel and a watery crisp finish

O- this certainly isn't an IPA, it drinks more like a watered down hard cider

2.09/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I'm a Canadian who has been drinking this brew for the past 15 years, and have witnessed its decline in the same period. Definitely not what it used to be, and I don't believe it qualifies as a true IPA. The initial mouthfeel is flat, watery, and basically insipid. Definitely no hoppiness or hops character here. The overall sensation is of an intense disappointment over it's very bland character that belies its name and label.
I serve this to unwanted guests who feel special when I serve it to them :)

1.41/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

This could not be further from an IPA. Pours a very pale yellow body, taste is rife of adjuncts and corn with offsetting bitterness not related to hops. Small head and minimal lacing, the fact it carries the word IPA on the label is a joke.

3.06/5  rDev +16.3%

Kinda boring. Not bad tasting but not my favorite.

4.39/5  rDev +66.9%

To let everyone know this is not a true ipa in the sense that everyone on this site is thinking this beer is more akin to coors light or beer of that sort. That being said it is still a decent beer for going out and partying (for those who still do so that is). This beer has a sense of nostalgia to me it was the first beer i ever had and being quebecois and living in the states i miss it from time to time. Give it a shot just keep my words in mind if you ever do. Happy drinking all!!

Does not taste like an IPA. I would've been better off getting water

1.03/5  rDev -60.8%

Not an ipa, terrible beer.

More like a mediocre pilsner!

1.88/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Beer does not taste like an IPA at all. More like a cheap light beer.

3.65/5  rDev +38.8%

Great beer. Good taste. Better beer.

2.25/5  rDev -14.4%

Can. Pours clear golden with a light short lasting head. Despite the fact that this beer is my namesake it is a very flavourless beer. It is more like a watered down mass produced lager rather than an IPA.

3.5/5  rDev +33.1%

Drinks more like a pilsner, very weak for a IPA, but I like it as a canadian budweiser basically, good goto beer if you're not sure what you want to drink. Must be served cold, had one that was little warm, not very good when warm.

2.95/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. draft in a flared pilsner glass

Finding myself in Toronto on business, and at Red Lobster with no other desirable options, I decided to give this a try. Looks nice enough. Light amber with good clarity and two fingers of fizzy white head. Smell is not impressive, but not offensive either. Just a blend of faint sweet grainy malt and even fainter grassy hops.

Taste is much like the nose--very subdued, but I actually find it to be nicely balanced. The hop profile--if you want to call it that-- is a weak mixture of herbal grassy notes with just a touch of pine. A vague sweetness that reminds me of caramel is also present. The mouthfeel is too thin for my liking, and it seems to be a bit overcarbonated. However, itdoes have a wet, refreshing characteristic that goes well with my coconut shrimp.

Overall, as an IPA this certainly leaves a lot to be desired. If I didn't know what this was I'd probably guess some type of light amber ale. As an alternative to the standard adjunct lager in a chain restaurant, I won't complain.

This is not an IPA. This is a much lighter beer, and is more typical of an adjunct lager or other mass produced beer.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale from Alexander Keith's