Follow our progress ...

Read the review

Alexander Keith's India Pale AleAlexander Keith's India Pale Ale

Alexander Keith's
Nova Scotia, Canada | website

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

Reviews: 271 | Ratings: 613
2.66/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Clear pale golden color with a finger of airy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little-to-no lacing. Smells and tastes like a poorly-crafted AAL, despite the IPA label in this airport bar. Buttery, corny malt dominates the taste with a dull, stale bitterness behind. Light bodied with strong carbonation. Just awful.

1.66/5  rDev -36.4%

Tried this twice on a recent trip to Canada. It seemed to be everywhere up there. I found this to be one of the worst IPA's I've ever had.

The color and appearance were decent, however the beer had no aroma, nothing from the hops. It's tastes like a blonde ale, or possibly even a macro lager with the tiniest pinch of hops in it. Salty. Watery, yet still somehow thick with a terrible mouthfeel. Flat. Tasteless. Actually, it tastes like they made this using a blonde ale and a diaper. It's bad, and I'm not sure I'd drink it again if it was free.

The fact they call this and "India Pale Ale" and are able to print it as such on the label is an absolute disgrace.

3.21/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty bland IPA. Had 2 with an excellent fish dinner at All Aboard restaurant in Cheticamp Nova Scotia. Pours a fairly dark gold color, mostly clear with a small white head. Head retention is less than average with minimal lacing. Very faint malty aroma. Taste is light, mildly malty with just a bit more grassy hops than a Bud. Mouthfeel is light and a bit flat. This is a pretty average beer.

3.61/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewery in Halifax.
Golden body with excellent clarity.
Very mild, even for a pale ale. So weak and mild, my companion who doesn't even like beer found it drinkable and "like water". Ridiculous calling this an IPA. Ignoring that, it is clean, refreshing and well balanced. Should work well with food.

3.43/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

See through yellow/golden color with a quickly disappearing head and some carbonation. Looks like any macro beer. Also smells like a macro beer, you smell the malts and some bread notes but without a good aroma really. A little more hops than most macro brews, but not enough to be called an IPA. Tastes like a generic lager but with more hops, which I guess it's what it's supposed to taste like. Easy enough to drink that it becomes a not-so-bad choice when there's only macro lager available, but not bitter enough to be called an IPA.

2.59/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

It tastes like someone added a small amount of hops to an AAL, The carbonation isn't all that bad in my opinion and nor is the mouth feel but it's not a very good beer.

Even for the meager price of $2.15 per 500ML can at the beer store I'd rather drink a PBR for the exact same price.

1.32/5  rDev -49.4%

Expecting an IPA, I was very disappointed. My first thought was "they hooked the tap up to the wrong keg of beer, certainly". This is definitely NOT an IPA. It is a light pilsner or lager. There were no hops, no aroma, just a light beer with a bad aftertaste. I tried it from the tap and from the bottle in St. John, NB, Canada. I bought two beers and had about 2-3 sips from each one, discarded the rest. This should not be classified as an IPA and as a "light beer" I'd only improve my rating a small amount.

1.69/5  rDev -35.2%

It tastes warm even when it's cold. Super salty and you're pretty guaranteed a hang over after drinking half of one. Harsh and barely tolerable when offered to you when free. Gives Nova Scotia beers a bad reputation.

1.63/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured from a pounder into a wine glass. It's well known that Keith's IPA isn't much of an IPA, so I decided to judge it as a cream/blonde ale. If I judged it based on requirements for an English IPA, its score would be even lower.

A- Completely clear and straw colored. Light, even for a cream/blonde. A white, fizzy head builds, then dissipates quickly.

S- DMS like whoa. Creamed corn, with not much else going on. Definitely nothing for yeasty notes, and maybe a touch of floral hops.

T- More DMS, with a little bitty snap of hops on the finish.

F- Dry finish. Less fizzy than an adjunct lager, but fizzier than most other ales of this type.

O- I had said before that the beer succeeds as a blonde ale, but it really doesn't. That said, I'll still take it over a Bud/Molson/Coors any day.

1.45/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Bought in a small grocery store with minimal selection on the way home as I had nothing at home, very much regretted it. Obviously not even remotely an IPA and more like a beer flavoured pop than anything. Very liberally carbonated. Couldn't finish it.

2.24/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Shame on you, Alexander Keith's/Labatt's. There was a time when this beer stood out from the rest of the mass produced lagers in Canada. IPA? Not a chance! Enough said. Give this a wide pass, unless it's free.

2.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not what I'd consider an IPA. Yeah, an IPA doesn't have to be a hop bomb, but there was nothing in the look, smell or taste to differentiate it from your average adjunct lager.

When enjoyed on tap in Halifax on the Harbour at the Lower Deck with some great Canadian band, nothing else seems quite as good, though I never like it as much otherwise.

1.88/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Bright straw color, almost golden, with strong activity. White 0.5 finger head lasting around 5 minutes with below average legs.

Faint aromas and flavors of grains, citrus, corn, herbal spices. Slightly grainy and lemony sweetness with some hoppy bitterness. Feels grassy, a little wet cardboard, and metallic.

Light body with high carbonation. Faint finish of moderate length ending with minimal herbal spiciness.

Overall a weak IPA; while the freshness is good, the flavors are too bland without personality, almost tasting like adjunct lagers.

1.11/5  rDev -57.5%

I recently inquired at the bar in a restaurant in Banff whether they had any IPAs. The bartender said “not really,” but mentioned the Alexander Keith's IPA, so (against his advice) I ordered one. I initially assumed that I had been served some other type of beer, given the very low hop rate and prominent sweetness. I also thought I detected a slight banana - clove essence like you get from the type of yeast normally used for wheat beers; if so, that is definitely not a characteristic of IPA. So, as it turned out, I WAS served some other type of beer. In any event, since I have a low tolerance for sweetness and dislike wheat beer yeasts, I left the remainder of the bottle. Have they checked any style guidelines? This “IPA” lacks the three distinguishing characteristics of an IPA: (1) a high hopping rate, (2) the proper grain bill, and (3) an ale yeast.

I was about to warn my companions not to order this beer, but then it occurred to me that it might be amusing to watch the expressions on their faces when they tried it. But, I couldn’t go through with it, so I had them taste mine instead.

Everyone was incredulous (that it is sold as an IPA). It was kind of funny (but the joke was on me). “IPA” - ha!

I can't in good conscience rate this anything other than very low. Not only is it not an IPA (English- or American-style), it just tasted bad (to me). Of course, I was expecting something hoppy with a rich mouthfeel.

2.43/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

A- pours a crystal clear straw color almost like water, with a small fizzy white head that retains nicely long after the pour

S- very sweet aroma with some grainy malt, it actually smells like apple juice, not really picking up any hops

T- slightly sweet up front with notes of pear and apple juice, grains, having trouble picking up even a trace of hop flavor, watery finish

M- light water body with medium carbonation leads to a thin but foamy mouthfeel and a watery crisp finish

O- this certainly isn't an IPA, it drinks more like a watered down hard cider

2.09/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I'm a Canadian who has been drinking this brew for the past 15 years, and have witnessed its decline in the same period. Definitely not what it used to be, and I don't believe it qualifies as a true IPA. The initial mouthfeel is flat, watery, and basically insipid. Definitely no hoppiness or hops character here. The overall sensation is of an intense disappointment over it's very bland character that belies its name and label.
I serve this to unwanted guests who feel special when I serve it to them :)

1.41/5  rDev -46%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

This could not be further from an IPA. Pours a very pale yellow body, taste is rife of adjuncts and corn with offsetting bitterness not related to hops. Small head and minimal lacing, the fact it carries the word IPA on the label is a joke.

4.39/5  rDev +68.2%

To let everyone know this is not a true ipa in the sense that everyone on this site is thinking this beer is more akin to coors light or beer of that sort. That being said it is still a decent beer for going out and partying (for those who still do so that is). This beer has a sense of nostalgia to me it was the first beer i ever had and being quebecois and living in the states i miss it from time to time. Give it a shot just keep my words in mind if you ever do. Happy drinking all!!

2.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Can. Pours clear golden with a light short lasting head. Despite the fact that this beer is my namesake it is a very flavourless beer. It is more like a watered down mass produced lager rather than an IPA.

3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

Drinks more like a pilsner, very weak for a IPA, but I like it as a canadian budweiser basically, good goto beer if you're not sure what you want to drink. Must be served cold, had one that was little warm, not very good when warm.

2.95/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. draft in a flared pilsner glass

Finding myself in Toronto on business, and at Red Lobster with no other desirable options, I decided to give this a try. Looks nice enough. Light amber with good clarity and two fingers of fizzy white head. Smell is not impressive, but not offensive either. Just a blend of faint sweet grainy malt and even fainter grassy hops.

Taste is much like the nose--very subdued, but I actually find it to be nicely balanced. The hop profile--if you want to call it that-- is a weak mixture of herbal grassy notes with just a touch of pine. A vague sweetness that reminds me of caramel is also present. The mouthfeel is too thin for my liking, and it seems to be a bit overcarbonated. However, itdoes have a wet, refreshing characteristic that goes well with my coconut shrimp.

Overall, as an IPA this certainly leaves a lot to be desired. If I didn't know what this was I'd probably guess some type of light amber ale. As an alternative to the standard adjunct lager in a chain restaurant, I won't complain.

2.4/5  rDev -8%

I tried it in a bar because that was the only option.
Anyways its light the smell is ok. The head is about 2 fingers.
For an India Pale Ale is kind of disappointing. My expectation was high because its an India Pale.
This beer is about average ans I think the price is a bit overprice.
If I would recommend it ? Probably not.

2.83/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

473 ml can served cold into a pint glass. Purchased from LCBO for 2.35 CDN.

Appearance - clear pale golden color with a finger and a half of white head which recedes quickly and coalesces into a small white cap. Some effervescent bubbles rise from the centre of the glass.

Smell - weak grainy aroma. Some metallic mustiness in there to which is odd. Not a great smelling beer.

Taste - kinda like the nose, not much other than mild grains and a slight bit of bitterness. Really mild and pretty much an AAL crossed with and EIPA. There's just not much else there.

Mouthfeel - medium light body and soft carbonation. Would like a more lively mouthfeel.

Overall- pretty bland beer, lacking the crispness that good examples of the style usually have. I used to think this was a pretty good beer, and while inoffensive, there's not much exciting or different about this one. Still goes down easy enough on the first hot and humid day of 2014.

One of the few offerings on the shelves that wasn't a variant of Molson, Carling or LaBatt.

Pours a too-bright gold with a huge head into my glass. Something's not right here. Hmm. More fitting for a pils.

Buttery malt in the nose? Check. Low hop presence? Check. Is it an English IPA? ("Price is Right" losing horn)

Tastes like I just drank a pint of dishwater. Hardly any hops, malt or anything.

Watery, metallic finish completes this abomination of an IPA. No, scratch this. This is a drain pour.

Being that this is the "Pride of Nova Scotia", I'd be shocked if empty cans didn't litter the grounds of Sunnyvale Trailer Park.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale from Alexander Keith's