Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

1.87/5  rDev -29.2%

My friend brought me two Alexander Keiths back from Canada a few weeks ago. There’s an epic stag head on the label. A crisp and clean aroma. My expectations were high.

Why are you called an IPA? Whhhyyy? The SLIGHT hop bitterness and the low ABV puts it somewhere in betweena crummy English IPA or a very weak blonde/golden ale. It is fairly watery with a dry finish; rounding itself off with a welcoming aftertaste of something resembling astringent. Damn you Canada with your “oldest North American brewery” which is really just a subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch.

2.23/5  rDev -15.5%

473 mL can with some code on the bottom; served in its namesake glass. Pours a brilliantly clear gold, with high carbonation and a half-inch white head that leaves a bit of lace. Smells of sweet doughy malt and corn, with a dash of herbal hops that go piney and citric as it warms. Very clean entry on the palate, with grainy/sweet malts and a few esters. Nearly devoid of hops, and carbonation is the main flavor here. Very light and crisp, with lots of carbonation and a short finish. Definitely mislabeled by today's standards, but I'm not sure this would have been considered an IPA even fifty years ago. However, if you go into it thinking "regional macrobrew" (think Pabst or Narragansett), then it's not too bad.

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

473ml Can

Appearance - The beer pours a clear golden yellow colour with a small fizzy white head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing. There is some faint lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for only a few minutes before it was gone.

Smell - corn syrup, breads/grains, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and I can taste corn syrup, breads/grains and some light malts. It ends with a grainy slightly bitter aftertaste

Overall - I really don't understand why so many people in my area buy this beer. Perhaps I would enjoy it more if they stopped calling it an 'India Pale Ale'. There are lots of better choices - even for an adjunct.

2.13/5  rDev -19.3%

Mom felt the need to get a two-four at duty free for some reason.

A - Pours your typical light golden colour with a single finger of white head. Light carbonation. Bright. Head fizzled away pretty quick to a film and no lace.

S - Corny, grainy, sugary. Ick.

T - fairly boring with corny, grainy, sweet notes. Nothing really to be interested in. Very mild with lot's of plain grain.

M - Decent carbonation, light body, really sweet grainy finish.

O/D - Keith's what's more to say. How they call this an IPA is beyone me. Not worth the time.

1.97/5  rDev -25.4%

Very disappointed in this beer. Looked good but smelled and tasted more like some macro adjunct lager than any IPA I've ever had. As an avowed hop head, I have to say that this missed the mark by a mile. Mouthfeel was watery. I couldn't even finish my 20 oz "pint".

2.13/5  rDev -19.3%

12oz can poured into pint glass

Pours a clear, pale yellow with a thin layer of white head. Fades into a thin cloud of film, very little lacing on the glass.

Very faint floral hops, lemon peel, straw and cracked grain. Notes of biscuit and a slight adjunct feel overall - doesn't smell like an IPA.

Soft suggestion of hops with some floral and spice notes. Bready biscuit malts with straw notes. Fairly watery, some touches of grapefruit and orange peel. Finishes a little dry.

Lighter medium body, prickly on the tongue, higher carbonation. There's some pretty solid english ipa's out there, but this definitely isn't one of them.

2.06/5  rDev -22%

I picked up this beer at the hotel after a poor experience with a red at dinner. I was looking forward to an IPA replacing the bland red.

On the first sip... I double checked the tap. This was the most bland IPA I've ever had. I have had pales with more flavor. There was no aroma. It looked like a pale lager.

Avoid this beer. It tastes like carbonated water.

How does Unibroue come from Canada? Their beer has too much flavor to be from Canada.

3.42/5  rDev +29.5%

This beer could be entered into a blond beer category and compete with the best. I was given these bottles by Paul from Canada at Wilmington NY NP campground as we exchanged beers. As I taste it now it reminds of what I had by the campfire. Nice clean beer satisfying and bold yet mellow to hint at a lawnmower beer. Being listed as an IPA throws off the reviewing. Smells like a blond ale with light malt and perfume hop. Pours a great foam that lasts for awhile to fade away to clear. Tastes like fun and enjoyed as such. Have some left. Oh yeah I have to do the lawn tomorrow!

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

On tap in Montreal. This beer did little to impress. Poured a pale gold, no lacing, little stick on the glass. Scented vaguely of hops but thats about it, maybe a hint of grain, wheat. Taste lacked any hoppy punch and had to check with bartender if this was indeed an IPA. She confirmed, but the taste did not. Very much like the smell, just a hint of hops and a hint of bitterness. Crisp mouthfeel and drinkable. Nothing to get excited about.

2.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Ordered this on draft...hoping for a good Canadian IPA...riiigggghhhht.

A-Clear yellowish...small to medium head w/ little retention.

S-Hints of grain and malt...but not much else really.

T-I ordered an IPA...expecting an IPA...I did not get that. It is not that this beer tastes terrible...it is just not an IPA...it is more like a lager...not a very good lager but a lager all the same. Tastes of yeast but little to no hoppiness!

M-Good level of carbonation...but watery and thin

O-Would I drink this again? maybe...but it is not an example of an IPA...I feel like it is a mislabeled beer. I asked the server did she bring me what I ordered...to which she said they get that a lot. I would describe this as a better version of BMC...on par with Le Batt...maybe slightly better.

3.29/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a 4oz sampler glass.

Appearance- Dark brown/red hue looks much more like an amber ale, than an IPA. one finger head, dissipates at a moderate rate. Leaves decent lacing.

Smell- nothing special. Malts and light hop notes.

Taste- Nice bready taste with a very light hop bite. Not at all my idea of an IPA, though. Not sure what I would classify this as...maybe close to an amber ale. Nonetheless, pleasant tasting.

Overall- Not what I was expecting. Not an IPA, at least as I know them. But I found it pleasing enough and it paired very well with my Bacon Cheeseburger I was having at the time.

I would drink again.

3.17/5  rDev +20.1%

Tried Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale at the welcome reception for a conference being held in Calgary. The IPA poured golden clear in a pilsner style glass. There was a thin white head which laced somewhat. The nose had a little hoppyness to it, but nothing overpowering like some IPAs. The taste was good...seemed more like a standard pale ale than IPA. Mouthfeel was smooth and would certainly try this beer again.

Photo of
2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance - extremely pale and clear, topped with a bit of quickly dissipating foam.

Smell - sweet corn and subtle floral hops.

Mouthfeel - light and refreshing, actually more like a lager, or even a pilsner, than an ale.

Taste - sweet, more corn than malt, with a bit of hops presence, but very little bitterness. Tastes, as it smells, more like a mass-produced lager than an ale. That said, it is noticeably different from the ususal lineup of Canadian, Blue et al. Don't know about it being an IPA of any kind, or about it being "premium" priced at most bars, but you could do a lot worse.

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I purchased a case of this at the duty free on my way to Quebec for a fishing trip. It caught my eye because I have never seen it before and I assume it is only sold in Canada. I really like IPA's but had never tried one out of a can so I really bought it out of curiosity. As soon as they were cold I tried one and really didn't think it tasted much like an IPA. It wasn't necessarily a bad tasting beer, it just didn't taste right to me. I feel like drinking it out of a bottle may give it more of a traditional of an IPA taste so I plan on buying that rather than cans the next time I go to Canada.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

Pretty much what you think it is. When people talk about this beer, they lovingly refer to it as the beloved "Keiths" and it's drank by people who like their beer consistent and good. It's an above average tasting macro beer but not for every session application. It's an all purpose higher-quality macro pretty much. It serves it's purpose, and it is ever popular with many of the people around our area, including myself on most pub nights! Keiths ftw!

2.59/5  rDev -1.9%

341ml bottle poured into Keith's mug.

A - Clear golden yellow, looks like apple juice. Just over a finger of fizzy white head, settles down but doesn't disappear completely, decent retention. Slight lacing.

S - Next to no scent at all. Some light malt and grain with a touch of hops. Underwhelming.

T - Slight bitterness, not overly hoppy, but lacks a lot of hoppy flavor one would expect from an IPA. Light malt is there, but barely.

M - Medium carbonation, light fizziness to the body. Kind of thin.

D - Drinks like a lager. Decent, but nothing exceptional at all.

1.89/5  rDev -28.4%

12oz bottle purchased at some random gas station in St. John's, Canada. I do have to say, I dig the nifty 6-pack boxes they use here in the great white north.

A- Pours a crystal clear golden/straw, with two fingers of fluffy white head that quickly dies down. Great looking for a Pilsner, a bit light for an IPA.
S- Not much of anything coming out in the nose. A faint whisper of malt with a hint of apple-juice. No hops to speak of.
T- Looking for hops? Malt? A harmonious balance between the two? Look somewhere else. Like the nose there is a faint grainy/corn note, more akin to a pilsner or adjunct lager. Also like the nose, there is not much of anything going on with regards to taste/flavor.
M- Lighter body, thin, almost watery.
O- I don't even know where to begin. It in NO way resembles what it's billed to be. Hell, most Pilsners have more hops than this. If I had this blind I would have guessed light lager, and an average one at that. Unoffensive, at best.

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

a 12oz can i fanagled off of some guy at a st. patty's day parade and then preceeded to drop. it didnt break (i love cans) but was nicely dented. its been in my fridge since. no freshness date poured into a pint glass.

pours out a super clear piss yellow bordering on gold. lots of carbonation bubbles. a big super fizzy head that very quickly faded to a very thin ring. whats left of the head is quite soapy, doesnt last for long. no real lace ot speak of. doesnt look like anything i would ever call an ipa, english or american.

not much of an aroma. some cooked corn, maybe a touch of grain. very macro like. the faintest aroma of hops, slightly floral and herbal.

the taste follows the aroma. nothing really indicating this to be an ipa. cooked corn, bits of grain, kind of a mineral lager like thing going on. bits of hops in there, but nothing that meets ipa standards, not even pilsner standards. some herbal qualitites, maybe hints of lemon citrus. finishes like a malt liquer.

light bodied, with ample fizzy carbonation. hardly any bitterness. drinks very easy, just like any macro would.

this is clearly not an ipa, but i wasnt expecting it to be going into it. happy for trying it though...

2.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: It was a lot lighter than what I was expecting from a beer called an IPA. It was a pale yellow with a thin head that fizzed away by the 2nd sip.

Smell: I was not impressed. I was expecting to get a big whiff of hops and that was almost not existant. It lacked the scent of other IPAs yet there was a slight bitter smell.

Taste: Mild bitterness and almost a watery taste. It lacked the hoppy feel that one would expect.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a fizzy feel.

Drinkability: This beer had a lot of characteristics of a light beer and although the taste/smell/appearance lacked on this beer, it was easy to drink and would see how people might enjoy it on a hot day.

2.43/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: pours a clear light yellow color with a 1/4" head that falls apart immediately.

Smell: grass and some mild bitterness is all you can detect.

Taste: mild malt, light lemon citrus, golden apples, and a mild bitterness make up a very weak IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp thoughout. Aftertaste is very short lived.

Drinkability: when one wants an IPA, this does not really fit the category. Easy to quaff, this is closer to a pale euro lager than an IPA.

3.45/5  rDev +30.7%

I gotta agree with everyone else... this is an IPA?? Canada must have a different opinion on what pale ale is, and what India is. And what's with the 5% alcohol? I thought Canadian beer was supposed to send Americans to the hospital.

It tastes more like a light lager, pours and looks like one too. That doesn't mean it's not good though, because it's actually quite nice to drink, and I had it in a can!

It has the traditional straw yellow color and taste. A good carbonation, and it left me wanting more. I just don't live anywhere near Nova Scotia.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale from Alexander Keith's