Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

poor

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Shumista

2.83/5  rDev +7.2%

I picked up 6 pack of this while in Canada recently because it was the only IPA at "The Beer Store". I don't remember much about it other than that it could not have been a worse representation of the style but other than that tasted alright. There were no hops present in the aroma or the taste. If it had not been labeled as an IPA I may have felt differently about this beer, but as is I was very unhappy.

09-02-2008 04:54:39 | More by Shumista
bradley194

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Seems like many others had the same disappointing experience with this supposed IPA that I did.

I went and visited the brewery and was completely excited to get some brewery fresh beer until I tried this. Very disappointing.

Pours a straw like color with basically no head on it.

Being an IPA, I expected a certain amount of fruity, floral aroma to it...There was none.

Again, being an IPA I was expecting a huge hop presence...There was none. Medium carbonation. I really decided that this was poor when I ordered the sampler and could hardly tell the difference between the "light" and the IPA.

I would liken this very much to just your average Budweiser or Bud Light.

I will say however that this beer is great if you just want something to sit back and drink without really paying much attention to its qualities. It is a good "hot day" beer and perfect I'm sure for drinking games!

09-01-2008 06:04:59 | More by bradley194
changeup45

2.03/5  rDev -23.1%

This beer tastes and looks a lot like a light beer with perhaps a touch more flavor. I'd certainly say this is a decent beer to drink for just relaxing. Crisp, clean and refreshing. However, this is absolutely no IPA. Sweet, watery, some fruits and only faint hops are present.

08-23-2008 18:54:03 | More by changeup45
lostdesperato

1.53/5  rDev -42%

I was disgusted by this beer. It is a disgrace to its style. From its pale straw colored body, to its over-carbonated weak mouthfeel, and finally finishing on a nasty lingering after-taste. Everything about this beer says macro-american lager.

As they say:

Despise it.

08-09-2008 22:41:27 | More by lostdesperato
TurdFurgison

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%

I had a bottle in Windsor, it was the only IPA on the menu. But unfortunately after trying it I realize this isn't an IPA at all. There were no noticeable hops in the aroma or taste, this was just an unassuming lager. It wasn't really bad or offensive unless you count the fraudulent labeling advertising this as an IPA.

08-08-2008 03:26:34 | More by TurdFurgison
shamus

Ontario (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev +25%

to appreciate this beer discard the idea that it is an IPA. It's nothing like one and I have no idea why they bother putting that on the label. Second do not drink this out of a bottle, it's forte is as a draft. The only time I drink this is when i am at one of the many establishments in Ottawa that only serve macros on draft. Keith's draft is smoooth and has no questionable flavours. it's a fine chugging beer. That being said don't make it your favourite beer unless you are a big time boozer.

07-16-2008 22:32:15 | More by shamus
albern

1.6/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This was one of the worst IPAs I think I've had, and I don't know how this even fits into the genre. I had this in Canada recently and it was dreadful. It was really skunky so it might have turned bad ... let's hope so.

The beer pours an amber color with a head that just disappeared, no lacing. The aroma was really skunked out, and that's about all there was in the nose. The beer tasted like a bad macro, cooked veggies, adjunct, malt syrup, and the like. There were really no hops present, maybe if you searched hard in the background there might have been something. I've never had an IPA with no hops in the body. I think that says it all. This went down the drain quickly.

07-11-2008 10:29:38 | More by albern
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +74.2%

For the record, I am a little biased towards this brew as it is my favorite domestic "macro"...still think it comes off more as a micro and yes I can admit that this isn't a true IPA it's just so good!

A- OK, this is the only area that doesn't make me jump out of my socks. It has the common yellow/staw colour and shows that it has fairly heavy carbonation. The head doesn't come out to much even after a hard pour, but it does retain a thin film of foam over the top of the liquid, something many other beers don't do.

S- The aroma is just so inviting albeit a little mild. I smell some grains, sweet malts that remind me of fresh corn and a hint of the hops that a true IPA would have.

T- The clean refreshing sweet malty goodness of this beer just keeps me coming back for more. The hop presence is fairly muted but at the back of the palate I can taste just enough of a zing to let me know that there is some bitterness to this beer. The aftertaste is pleasant with a touch of hops, but just like the smell, there is a lingering toasted grain and sweet corn combo that just wants you to have another drink!

M- This is a perfect thirst quenching beer, as it has a medium-light body. It does however get just slightly watery right at the end, towards the back of the throat, most likely due to the carbonation, which is quite heavy.

D- This beer comes highly recommended by myself and I feel is the perfect beer to enjoy all night long. It is definately a great chugging beer on a hot summer day or in the pub with good friends....I'll have a schooner of this no problem...and then another! With all the history and quality behind this beer, it's no wonder the good people of Nova Scotia are so proud of Keiths!

06-27-2008 01:52:51 | More by ChrisCage
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Well the only thing I have to say is this: This is not an IPA. Trying to taste a lot of IPA lately and this one is by far the worst one I drank. It is not a bad beer... just that the label shouldn't say India Pale Ale. Bought a taster 12 pack... damn still 3 bottles to drink. I guess I'll pass this along to friends! :)

The head is not present, which is something I hate. The color is nice yellow. Smell nothing. Taste like a commercial beer, which is very disappointing!

06-08-2008 01:42:37 | More by ZorPrime
JamesS

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured a very light colored orange-straw, with a bit of head, not much lacing, and a lot of carbonation. It has a very light hoppy scent, strong malts for an IPA, but at least there was a little bit of bitter aroma. Same for the taste, a lot of malt in the initial taste, with a kick of hoppiness at the end, not a very strong IPA, more of a hoppy yellow macro lager. It did go down fairly smooth, though.

05-26-2008 20:42:46 | More by JamesS
AaronHomoya

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a bottle in the Toronto airport waiting to leave.

Drank straight from the bottle, sadly, so I am guessing at the appearance.

Smell was somewhat muted and of earthy, floral hops.

Taste was mostly pale malts with some hop flavor and a decent amount of bitterness in the finish. Much milder than American IPAs and many English offerings as well. More like a slightly strong pale ale.

I guess my expectations weren't that high, based on what else was available at the Friday's in the airport, but I thought this was a solid, above average beer. Nothing amazing and a little mild, but a decent, well made, drinkable beer.

05-17-2008 00:50:26 | More by AaronHomoya
smcolw

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Quite pale, clear with virtually no head and no lace.

There is a lack of hop aroma that would be typical for the style. Lots of fruity esters.

This is a step up from most macros, but it is not an IPA in flavor. The hop is nearly undetectable. The fruitiness is present to the flavor. It has a decent body and low level of carbonation.

A clear miss in the IPA world.

04-28-2008 00:11:11 | More by smcolw
sulldaddy

Connecticut

2.17/5  rDev -17.8%

I am sampling at cellar temp poured into a pint glass.
The beer pours a clear bright gold color with bleached white fluffy head of 2 cm foaming up with a gentle pour.
Aroma is mild and fruity with some grainy cereal malt as well. An IPA? Not too much going on in the hops department on the nose.
First sip reveals a thin watery body with fine rolling carbonation. The flavor is also mild with some grainy malt a bit of sweet sugaryness, and again lack of any hops. I get it that this is an English IPA, but there should be some earthy, or herbal or grassy flavors here from some EKG maybe, but I get mostly vague general grain flavors.
Overall this beer is rather disappointing. I can appreciate a well made English IPA, and this isnt one.

04-03-2008 04:26:31 | More by sulldaddy
ATPete

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

Bought this beer in a small joint on the island of Bermuda.

12 oz capped bottle

A- Golden, slight haze, small white head

S- Muted hops, sweet toasty caramel malts

T- Weak, this is an IPA? wow i wouldn't even consider this a Pale Ale if talking about hoppyness. I wonder what the IBU is...they most be very, very conservative with their hops...

M- Nothing to it, does that make it drinkable to me? NO. I'm glad 1 bottle is all i had.

03-28-2008 23:24:43 | More by ATPete
SaucyA

2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

355ml can. Given to me by someone who "heard I like 'crazy' beer". Rating this as an English IPA. I should've known better when he said, "They were giving it out... told me to take as many as I wanted!"

A - Clear, pale, fizzy. Looks light an American Macro with half as much color. Ugly.

S - Grainy adjuncts, slight hop aroma. Not "bash-you-in-the-face" hops, just... enough to let you know it's beer.

T - Sweet, light. May as well be macro swill, but has one slight aspect on the finish that lets you know it's not. Not necessarily offensive, but not at ALL complex. Just... boring.

M - Sparkling water. Seriously. There's no body whatsoever.

D - It's sessionable, and easy to drink... just not ANYTHING I'd ever go out of my way for. If it's this or Budweiser, I'm choosing this. That's about the only way I'd order one.

Not a good example of the style. Pass on this unless you're looking for an easy drinker. I'm dumping it :(

03-18-2008 18:48:24 | More by SaucyA
PBRstreetgang

2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a pale gold with excellent clarity and a thin one finger head of fizzy bubbles. Poor retention and no lacing. The aroma shows some mild herbal hop notes and weak rice/corn adjunct malt scent, but overall understated and not exactly to-style. The flavor is in a word bland; the malt is thin and mainly adjunct driven- almost like an american standard lager. The little hop presence is known only in the mild and dry aftertaste that has whispers of minty english hops, but the skunk character out of the keg is more apparent. Thin bodied with med-high to high carbonation, this beer is crisp and clean but not at all a showcase of hops or barley- of course the finish is clean and the drinkability is high. This may appeal to consumers who want to look cool ordering an IPA but prefer a Molson. For saavy Beeradvocates who are in the mood for Canada's take on the original English import, beware or false advertisement.

01-14-2008 06:59:40 | More by PBRstreetgang
DogFood11

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

Its very light in color, similar to a macro lager. Head retention is below average and the carbonation is medium in size.

Nothing really offensive in this offering but I'd just assume order something else. Why? well its a dumbed down version of an English IPA. Dumbed down to the point of having zero bite and nothing to remember it by. Bargain basement malt bill is easily squashed by a very mild drying hop presence.

Notes: Not for me. I'm starting to think crisp clean macro's are the way to go in this area of Atlantic Canada. blehhh

12-28-2007 22:21:57 | More by DogFood11
DoubleJ

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Press for this beer is big in Eastern Canada for some odd reason. Not sure what's behind that, but it can't be the beer itself, can it? Sampled at the Sainte-Elisabeth Pub (Montréal), on to the beer:

I only ordered 10 ounces of it, and I'm sure glad I didn't get the 20 ounce size. Appearance is blonde and clear like a lager. Okay aroma of corn grits, DMS (cooked veggies), and a touch of honey. The taste begins with a slight sweetness from the grain. Some cereals show up too. I'm not wincing, but the overall flavor is weak. It goes fruity for a brief second before going dry, kind of like sweetneer. Hops anyone? Where are they? Yawn. And as the beer warmed, it started to get hard to drink.

If this is an IPA, then I'm the Easter Bunny. Molson Canadian can kick this beer's ass back to Nova Scotia.

12-26-2007 06:29:25 | More by DoubleJ
thartman

2.42/5  rDev -8.3%

Being out of town, in Toronto, I was excited to see an IPA on tap at my hotel.

The draft that I ordered had a pale yellow appearance with a slight, thin head, not what I am typically used to with an IPA. There was no signifcant hop aroma, or hoppy taste, and the beer reminded me more of a lager style.

The beer had a nice carbonation and went down easy, but I was expecting more of an IPA-style as advertised.

10-23-2007 13:59:01 | More by thartman
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours light golden yellow with plenty of clarity and a thin white head.

The smell is of sweet grain (some husk?) and corn. Doesn't smell like an IPA - maybe more like a cross between a light Helles Lager and a macro.

The taste -- Where are the hops???? Distant. They are there, but just to balance out the sweetness of the grainy malt, adding little if anything to the taste. Clean, and rather "inoffensive", this is bland to the point of being ridiculous. Some sweet grain and buttered corn (but a bit different than in a corn adjunct way). With modest abv and lack of hop presence, this is out of style. Rated out of style? Bland, boring. Finishes abruptly.

Thin - Light bodied, but not overly fizzy.

Way out of style. Someone send a search and rescue party out for the hops! Other than style? Lackluster.

10-20-2007 13:28:47 | More by jwc215
daubelbrew

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Got this from my parents after they took a tour with their coach through the great white north.

Aroma: malty sweet nose, some very light hop aroma - mostly "noble" hops, definitely not English or PNW.

Appearance: Golden clear with a thin (lasting) white head.

Taste: malty with some hop bitterness to balance. this tastes more like a pilsner than what I expect of an IPA. Finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium light body with moderately high carbonation.

Overall: this is an easy drinking bear but not what I expect of an IPA, where I'm looking for more hops up front an in the flavor. This is well balanced and clean with a pilsner malt flavor, but lacks depth of character from crystal/caramel malts. A decent Lager beer, but definitely NOT an IPA.

09-30-2007 17:39:50 | More by daubelbrew
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

Pale straw yellow color..1 finger foam that quickly settled with very mild lacing
mild fruity corn,tin stale aroma
Mild taste with lite fruity kinda flavor had a stale metallic,alkaline finish
Medium to light body,went down like tin flavored water
Easy to drink, not as good as on tap,got to try the bottled version next.

09-22-2007 03:59:16 | More by GrimmReaper
JayTheFinn

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

This is an IPA?...my ass! Where's the hops?! All I taste is corn extract. This tastes more like Tecate.

A - Very pale yellow body with a surprising long lasting head.
S - Corn. Blech.
T - Corn. Blech. THere's only the slightest hint of hops. It's sweet and watery. Very much like a macro lager.
M - Lots of carbonation and that's about it.
D - Very crisp. Goes down smooth. Would be refreshing, but the sweetness kinda ruins that.

09-18-2007 01:03:01 | More by JayTheFinn
soupyman10

District of Columbia

2.65/5  rDev +0.4%

I guess I'd probably give this beer a much higher rating if it was listed as what it probably is, a macro lager. As an EIPA, though, this was total crap. My friend says that Canadian beers often make claims to being IPAs (Rickards, Sleeman's, Keith's, etc.) just because it's a 'beer-sounding title,' not because they actually belong to said genre. Either way, this one is a light straw color, with a nose of malt and light apples. Taste is crisp and clean, lots of grainy malt, nothing much else. Feel is highly carbonated but very refreshing. I've thrown back a bunch of these, but certainly not in a 'beer-drinkers' frame of mind.

09-12-2007 17:29:01 | More by soupyman10
medic25

Connecticut

Initial pour gives a pale golden brew with a white foamy head that quickly dissipates; much lighter in color than I expected. No hint of hops in the aroma like I expected. Taste is more like a pilsener than an IPA; very dry, almost no hops to speak of. Relatively non-offensive brew, but not at all what I'd consider an IPA.

08-29-2007 02:15:13 | More by medic25