Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 531 | Reviews: 265
2.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Ordered this on draft...hoping for a good Canadian IPA...riiigggghhhht.

A-Clear yellowish...small to medium head w/ little retention.

S-Hints of grain and malt...but not much else really.

T-I ordered an IPA...expecting an IPA...I did not get that. It is not that this beer tastes terrible...it is just not an IPA...it is more like a lager...not a very good lager but a lager all the same. Tastes of yeast but little to no hoppiness!

M-Good level of carbonation...but watery and thin

O-Would I drink this again? maybe...but it is not an example of an IPA...I feel like it is a mislabeled beer. I asked the server did she bring me what I ordered...to which she said they get that a lot. I would describe this as a better version of BMC...on par with Le Batt...maybe slightly better.

3.29/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a 4oz sampler glass.

Appearance- Dark brown/red hue looks much more like an amber ale, than an IPA. one finger head, dissipates at a moderate rate. Leaves decent lacing.

Smell- nothing special. Malts and light hop notes.

Taste- Nice bready taste with a very light hop bite. Not at all my idea of an IPA, though. Not sure what I would classify this as...maybe close to an amber ale. Nonetheless, pleasant tasting.

Overall- Not what I was expecting. Not an IPA, at least as I know them. But I found it pleasing enough and it paired very well with my Bacon Cheeseburger I was having at the time.

I would drink again.

3.17/5  rDev +20.1%

Tried Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale at the welcome reception for a conference being held in Calgary. The IPA poured golden clear in a pilsner style glass. There was a thin white head which laced somewhat. The nose had a little hoppyness to it, but nothing overpowering like some IPAs. The taste was good...seemed more like a standard pale ale than IPA. Mouthfeel was smooth and would certainly try this beer again.

Photo of
2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance - extremely pale and clear, topped with a bit of quickly dissipating foam.

Smell - sweet corn and subtle floral hops.

Mouthfeel - light and refreshing, actually more like a lager, or even a pilsner, than an ale.

Taste - sweet, more corn than malt, with a bit of hops presence, but very little bitterness. Tastes, as it smells, more like a mass-produced lager than an ale. That said, it is noticeably different from the ususal lineup of Canadian, Blue et al. Don't know about it being an IPA of any kind, or about it being "premium" priced at most bars, but you could do a lot worse.

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I purchased a case of this at the duty free on my way to Quebec for a fishing trip. It caught my eye because I have never seen it before and I assume it is only sold in Canada. I really like IPA's but had never tried one out of a can so I really bought it out of curiosity. As soon as they were cold I tried one and really didn't think it tasted much like an IPA. It wasn't necessarily a bad tasting beer, it just didn't taste right to me. I feel like drinking it out of a bottle may give it more of a traditional of an IPA taste so I plan on buying that rather than cans the next time I go to Canada.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

Pretty much what you think it is. When people talk about this beer, they lovingly refer to it as the beloved "Keiths" and it's drank by people who like their beer consistent and good. It's an above average tasting macro beer but not for every session application. It's an all purpose higher-quality macro pretty much. It serves it's purpose, and it is ever popular with many of the people around our area, including myself on most pub nights! Keiths ftw!

2.59/5  rDev -1.9%

341ml bottle poured into Keith's mug.

A - Clear golden yellow, looks like apple juice. Just over a finger of fizzy white head, settles down but doesn't disappear completely, decent retention. Slight lacing.

S - Next to no scent at all. Some light malt and grain with a touch of hops. Underwhelming.

T - Slight bitterness, not overly hoppy, but lacks a lot of hoppy flavor one would expect from an IPA. Light malt is there, but barely.

M - Medium carbonation, light fizziness to the body. Kind of thin.

D - Drinks like a lager. Decent, but nothing exceptional at all.

1.89/5  rDev -28.4%

12oz bottle purchased at some random gas station in St. John's, Canada. I do have to say, I dig the nifty 6-pack boxes they use here in the great white north.

A- Pours a crystal clear golden/straw, with two fingers of fluffy white head that quickly dies down. Great looking for a Pilsner, a bit light for an IPA.
S- Not much of anything coming out in the nose. A faint whisper of malt with a hint of apple-juice. No hops to speak of.
T- Looking for hops? Malt? A harmonious balance between the two? Look somewhere else. Like the nose there is a faint grainy/corn note, more akin to a pilsner or adjunct lager. Also like the nose, there is not much of anything going on with regards to taste/flavor.
M- Lighter body, thin, almost watery.
O- I don't even know where to begin. It in NO way resembles what it's billed to be. Hell, most Pilsners have more hops than this. If I had this blind I would have guessed light lager, and an average one at that. Unoffensive, at best.

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

a 12oz can i fanagled off of some guy at a st. patty's day parade and then preceeded to drop. it didnt break (i love cans) but was nicely dented. its been in my fridge since. no freshness date poured into a pint glass.

pours out a super clear piss yellow bordering on gold. lots of carbonation bubbles. a big super fizzy head that very quickly faded to a very thin ring. whats left of the head is quite soapy, doesnt last for long. no real lace ot speak of. doesnt look like anything i would ever call an ipa, english or american.

not much of an aroma. some cooked corn, maybe a touch of grain. very macro like. the faintest aroma of hops, slightly floral and herbal.

the taste follows the aroma. nothing really indicating this to be an ipa. cooked corn, bits of grain, kind of a mineral lager like thing going on. bits of hops in there, but nothing that meets ipa standards, not even pilsner standards. some herbal qualitites, maybe hints of lemon citrus. finishes like a malt liquer.

light bodied, with ample fizzy carbonation. hardly any bitterness. drinks very easy, just like any macro would.

this is clearly not an ipa, but i wasnt expecting it to be going into it. happy for trying it though...

2.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: It was a lot lighter than what I was expecting from a beer called an IPA. It was a pale yellow with a thin head that fizzed away by the 2nd sip.

Smell: I was not impressed. I was expecting to get a big whiff of hops and that was almost not existant. It lacked the scent of other IPAs yet there was a slight bitter smell.

Taste: Mild bitterness and almost a watery taste. It lacked the hoppy feel that one would expect.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a fizzy feel.

Drinkability: This beer had a lot of characteristics of a light beer and although the taste/smell/appearance lacked on this beer, it was easy to drink and would see how people might enjoy it on a hot day.

2.43/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: pours a clear light yellow color with a 1/4" head that falls apart immediately.

Smell: grass and some mild bitterness is all you can detect.

Taste: mild malt, light lemon citrus, golden apples, and a mild bitterness make up a very weak IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp thoughout. Aftertaste is very short lived.

Drinkability: when one wants an IPA, this does not really fit the category. Easy to quaff, this is closer to a pale euro lager than an IPA.

3.45/5  rDev +30.7%

I gotta agree with everyone else... this is an IPA?? Canada must have a different opinion on what pale ale is, and what India is. And what's with the 5% alcohol? I thought Canadian beer was supposed to send Americans to the hospital.

It tastes more like a light lager, pours and looks like one too. That doesn't mean it's not good though, because it's actually quite nice to drink, and I had it in a can!

It has the traditional straw yellow color and taste. A good carbonation, and it left me wanting more. I just don't live anywhere near Nova Scotia.

2.89/5  rDev +9.5%

This is not an IPA more like a sweet tasting Cadian Lager. Looks like your tradional American Macro Lager. Straw yellow great carbonation. Smells sweet yeasty no hops at all. Tast like your average beer. Refreshing and tingily on the tongue. Great warm day fishing for pike and walley swating away the skeeters away beer.

3.21/5  rDev +21.6%

A: Fine, no real complaints.

S: I personally can smell the hops.

T: I was really shocked by the taste, it is alright. I HATE IPAs, but this one is actual enjoyable. I know this beer does not get a high rating, nor should it, but it real is not a skunky beer.

M: Nothing inspiring.

D: I have not regretted drinking a single bottle. I will never purchase the beer, but if it is free at a party I will drink it.

I would say that the longer it has stayed in my frig the better it has gotten.

3.1/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: : It has a pale yellow colour to it. It shows a high carbonation, has a white head that dies down quite fast and there is minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of grains, corn and light hops.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a grainy taste to it with a very small bitterness coming from the low amount of hops and it also has a bit of malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a high carbonation but is really smooth.

Drinkability: It's a very drinkable and refreshing beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas. It's a good beer if your looking to pound a few back. However, it really doesn't meet the standards of an IPA. It has more of a lagar character to it.

2.86/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours an incredibly light straw colour, clear as a sunny windswept summer's afternoon.

The aroma is definitely that of a macro, but it's inoffensive. Mostly light sweet malt and grains a hint of something floral.

Tastes crisp and clean with no off flavors except maybe corn. It's actually more bitter than sweet, but both really dialed back and light. It's very light tasting. And if I am being honest, it's not bad for what it is--but just so we're clear: Not bad is not the same as good. Because this is anything but good.

Mouthfeel is light and middling.

Overall it's not as bad as I was expecting. Certainly not an India Pale Ale, Pale Ale or anything other than mass market swill. And um yeah. What can I say? Those who like it, like it a lot. Those who think it's not the worst beer ever but who don't care to drink it ever again except in extreme situations where they will tolerate it, are me.

3.38/5  rDev +28%

A: Pours a clear light yellow with two fingers of bright white fluffy head. Settles to a bit of a cap and left a decent amount of lacing.

S: Very sweet grainy aroma.

T: Sweet grains with a weird almost metallic aftertaste that makes Keith's a little different then other macros.

M: Medium carbonation with a light to medium body.

D: I've had this beer plenty of times so I knew what I was getting into. The label saying IPA didn't surprise me. This is not an Ipa at all. It's a pretty good macro though. But Alexander Keith's really need to figure out their styles of beer. Keith's dark ale used to be called "Stag Head Stout". And that beer is far from a stout. I think the names are more of a marketing gimmick. Overall it's a good macro beer but do not try if you're looking for a good Ipa because this isn't one at all.

2.54/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Clear pours a golden coat with lots of carbonation. Forms a medium foamy head that fades rather quickly.

S: You get some banana and pears with malts.

T: Malty and a bit metallic, you get a ratio of cereals with a dry finish.

M: I found it clear and somewhat bland

1.53/5  rDev -42%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

341 ml bottle poured into Dogfish Head signature glass (January 8, 2011). No freshness dating that I can find. I picked this up on a trip to Toronto, the lady at the beer store said it was the best IPA they had.

Eyes: Pours a pale straw yellow with a soapy white head. Super clear.

Nose: Smells like corn and grain. Simple, and uninteresting, this simply cannot be an IPA. Notice I never use the term "aroma" here.

Tongue: This simply isn't an IPA. It has a simple light grain malt flavor, with a suggestion of hops. The macro corn aspect is evident.

Mouth: Spritzy and quite carbonated. This is the only activity that the beer will provide to the palate.

Libation: This is better than most macro brews, which isn't saying a whole lot, but the bottle said IPA on it so I'm rating this as such. It fails miserably. It has minimal hopps on either the nose or tongue and is simply another poor macro attempt to bite on the popularity of the popular IPA style. Even the malt profile is poor.

This is easily the poorest example of an IPA I have experienced. The lady at the beer store deserves a slap.

4.06/5  rDev +53.8%

This is a very popular beer in Halifax. When compared to many mass marketed Ales in the region, this has to be one of the best but, here is the funny thing, I detect no hops and the malt is very lite. If your drinking this for the first time your expectations are not going to be met. Matter of fact I would expect you to rate it very low. Think of it as a tasty mass marketed Ale.

When Halifax sold only non-refrigerated (the government loves monopolies), this was an even better beer to buy when compared to the many others since it tasted good warm.

Good Ale, just don't let the IPA on the label distract you.

Cheers!

1.45/5  rDev -45.1%

I had this at a college bar in Toronto, hoping it would be a bit better than the Labatt's and Moosehead also available. I figure, if you're going to make an IPA, then it's probably not fizzy yellow stuff, right? Wrong. It's fizzy yellow stuff - by appearance this is dark straw with minimal head and a coarse carbonation. No perceptible hop aroma. No perceptible bitterness or flavor, and even the malt falls painfully flat. It's hard to imagine a mouthfeel below "not impressed", so it gets 2 points there. All in all, I suppose this is drinkable if you're out of Bud Light, but I can't give it much more than that.

1.86/5  rDev -29.5%

This beer looks decent but wow i decided to try it on tap because i had tried it from can and bottle and was so disappointed. This beer tastes like salt to me... its disgusting.. it dries my mouth out, tastes bad and is just overall not a very inviting beer. The metallic taste and the bad aftertaste is just not something people should have to experience. sorry keiths.. youre just not doing it for me.

2.33/5  rDev -11.7%

g06h01070 can code.
12oz can into pint glass.
A: A very small, extremely white head pours a layer of foam that quickly retreats, leaving a apple juice layer. The body is creepily clear for and IPA. The color is a light yellow hue with neon characters in the light. No lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma from first pour, is found without even bring the glass to the nose, but what is found and on further analysis, is a bland and faded lagerish bread. Hops that should be earthy and bold with bitterness are not present. Perhaps a bit faded, but other malt tones are not pleasant.

T/M: On the front this beer drinks like a lager, crisp on the mouth, but bringing a bready, rice note. The bland taste of a low carbonated brew is what best describes this batch of brew. Not a hop note is the beer, a bit of a dry finish, that could explain that the hops maybe faded and this beer is not as fresh as intended. The mouthfeel is short and the low amount of body washes this brew away quick. Weak lingering taste and overall intensity.

D: I could drink the whole pack, but not something I would seek out. Maybe a faded batch, but I have had good experiences with faded IPA (rich malt notes and hidden hops characters) not found is this brew.

Ok, its not often I review a beer as I like drinking more then typing but.... WTF MATE! This is no IPA. I thought I was in treat for a local good beer, IPA, will this will stand out against the Bud, Moosehead, and other not so tasty candadian beers.... was I ever wrong. I though they had for sure messed up the draft towers after tasting this beer. NO WAY is this an IPA any way shape or form. I even bought the same beer in a bottle hoping it was just a fuxed up tap.... but no its the same out of the bottle. not and IPA, more Cream ale then anything, not what I wanted, FALSE ADVERTISING mateys... now I retire to bed off bad beed =(

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

Got this at a bar in Ottawa. Asked for something with a lot of hops and bartender said that they didn't have much of that and offered me Keith's IPA. You can find this at almost any bar in Ottawa it seems.

Color is a pale (slightly neon?) watery yellow. Pours without much of a head. The smell is distinctive - dirty feet. At first I thought my glass must be contaminated, I didn't think that smell was coming from the beer. But I had a mini-pitcher and indeed, it was the beer. Seriously, dirty feet.

Taste was a bland, metalic, lager. IPA? I think not.

I left when the ball game was over, without finishing the mini-pitcher.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale from Alexander Keith's