Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured a 473-ml can into a pub ale glass.

Appearance - light straw in colour with a big head due a heavy-handed pour. Then - poof - the head disappeared in under a minute.

Smell - a decent amount of hops, grasses and grains. At least it has a bit of presence.

Taste - not a lot of bitters, which there should be for this brew. There's kind of a light bitter, but followed by adjunct sweetness at the middle and the end.

Mouthfeel - decent, balanced, but it comes across as... fizzy.

Drinkability - not a bad, bad brew to bang back a few. Just not really an IPA, as others have said.

2.95/5  rDev +11.7%

Has a clear golden colour with a decent white head, leaves lots of lacing.

Smells sweet and grainy, just like a macro, barely any hops.

Tastes nothing like an IPA, just a typical macro corny-taste.

Watery thin mouthfeel, obviously a good beer to get drunk on, but it is kind of pricey too.

And for the guy below who said that if you were to give this beer a rating less than A there are many that would kick you out of Canada...no I think not. There are many would rather kick you out of this country for giving it anything more than a C+!

3.23/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance - Brown bottle, with a red stag logo and the flag of Nova Scotia. Golden straw-like color, barely a finger of head which dissipates quickly but seems to leave a small layer of bubbles on it for a decent period of time. Definite signs of carbonation. No lacing what so ever though.

Smell - Has a wheat and corn scent to it, with what seems to be the slightest hint of copper. Not that strong though, and comes off a bit dry.

Taste: Starts with a mixed grain with mild malt flavor, stays fairly crisp and consistent as it builds up, ending with a slightly bitter hop kick at the end that is just strong enough to let you know it is there.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is perfect, although I would have liked a little bit of head. Leaves a bit of a slightly pasty metallic residue which builds as more of it is downed.

Drinkability - Not that heavy or gassy and just watered enough to be refreshing without losing flavor. If it wasn't for that pasty residue, this beer would be very drinkable.

Final Thoughts - I'll be honest, I've yet to try an India Pale Ale outside of Keith's, but even I know that this is way to similar to a standard lager for it to be a representation of the style. That being said, it's still a better then average macro offering. I wouldn't buy a pack of it to drink at home, but I'd gladly buy it again at a pub that only offered Macro beers or take it if it was offered.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is the thinnest, wateriest IPA I've ever had. In fact, it has much more in common with a U.S. macro than anything else. The flavor is vaguely malty with a hint of citrus, but frankly you don't taste a lot of anything.

A guy at work was nice enough to bring one in for me. Apparently a friend of his went to Quebec and brought some back for him. I'm going to tell him I loved it, since I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I'd never drink one of these on my own.

3.88/5  rDev +47%

Due to the fact I live in Halifax, I drink quite a bit of Alexander Keith's. First it's been around for almost 200 years and it shouldn't be labeled as an IPA because it clearly isn't. However that does not mean that it isn't an exceptional beer. What it is, is a very light refreshing blond ale with almost no hop aroma. It has a nice smooth mouth feel with bit of sweetness. It would be a great replacement for your common lagers in the summer time. This beer has a lot of history and I'm surprised it isn't more well known outside of Canada.

2.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

All of the East Coast culture that's made its way west seems to be the explanation for the pervasiveness of this so-called IPA in better bars and living rooms in this part of the world. Maybe it's the goofy advertising. Meh. It's in the fridge after a day of killing my legs on the slopes, so away I go.

This 355ml can pours a clear, rather pale golden straw colour, with two fingers of loosely foamy, fairly bubbly off-white head, which leaves some random streaks of splotchy lace around the glass as it quickly settles.

It smells of a very light, very basic pale grainy cereal maltiness, some further sweet corn syrup, a very subtle hint of bland citrus, and some ethereal cooked veggies. The taste is more slightly grainy corn cereal malt sweetness, more stale vegetal character than anything hop-like, with an indistinct, but growing astringency.

The carbonation is quite sedate, a bit of weak frothiness the only thing going on, the body medium-light in weight, and a bit cloying in its plebeian smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the increasingly grotesque malt persisting in its hegemony.

I suppose that this goes down just as well as any mass-market macro lager, given its striking similarity to them. In the past, this offering benefited from me being held hostage by a lack of selection, and a general dearth of education. No longer am I blind, and I see this for what it really is - marketing sheen, and nothing else, as it has very, very little to recommend it - style-wise, or other.

1.73/5  rDev -34.5%

I bought this at the LCBO, I think in Hamilton, Ontario, en route back to Oklahoma from Toronto.

I had high hopes for this beer as it was local to Canada and looked to not be a macro. Mostly disappointed.

As others have remarked, it is not an IPA. It isn't even a Pale Ale.

So to review this I'm going to review as an American macro (but knock a point off the taste rating for false advertising)

Clear yellow brew with small white head. Aroma is ok, mostly sweet.

The taste isn't bad on first taste but then declines. It is way too sweet for my taste and could certainly use some hops (ironic). I think I prefer Budweiser because at least you have less of the sticky sweetness.

For a summer quencher it is sub-par. The aftertaste is way too sticky sweet for me. I much prefer a bit of citrus zing from a wheat beer. --- I'll try my remaining bottles with a lemon or lime wedge, maybe that will improve it.

3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

My brother and I split a can of this from LCBO on Lundy's Lane earlier this evening on our current mini vacation in Niagara Falls Ontario. Poured into a clear glass we have in our hotel room. This beer is a very clear and a light golden color. White head maybe 1/4 inch when poured. Settles to a very thin ring lining the inside of the glass. I can't really smell anything. Sweet malt and a bit of caramel for the taste here. The hops seem to be an after thought at best for tis "IPA". This beer also reminds me of a not as good version of something like Baltika # 9. Not an IPA in any sense as far as my palate could tell, but no a really horrible beer either. A cist, light bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Easy to drink, but not good drinkability in the way a well crafted beer is.

Eric

2.85/5  rDev +8%

Poured into glass with very minimal head or lacing on the glass. Poured a golden yellow color, very light for an IPA. Not much aroma, slightly malty and a little grassy. Flavor of standard malt, and a standard grassy hop bitterness. A bit watery

Very light for the style, and would be light for a pale ale, let alone an IPA.

2.83/5  rDev +7.2%

I poured a 355 ml can into a pint glass.

A: It poured a very clear, straw yellow with hints of green body. There was a one finger white head that fell quickly to a slight cover leaving behind a layered lace curtain.

S: It was a bit aroma deficient with slight sweet malts and floral hop aromas.

T: It had a diluted malt flavor that was quickly dominated ty tangy and biting hops that were citrusy and bitter. The alcohol is well hidden.

M: It was very light bodied, heavily carbonated, and finished clean and dry.

D: It is a very light brew that would work very well as a hydration brew on a hot sweaty afternoon pitching bales of hay.

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%

Straw yellow and pretty transparant. The smell is of corn. Taste again is of corn, some malt and hops and some fruitiness. People love to cut this beer up for not being an IPA and I don't blame them one bit. Call it a lager. Hell, call it a blonde ale, where do you get off marketing this beer as an IPA? There's no hop bitterness in the nose or the taste.

I'd like to see the actual IBU for this beer and see what kind of hops go in it.

Overrated and overpriced. The sad thing is that people pay $40 for a 24 of this garbage.

This brewery should be ashamed

2.03/5  rDev -23.1%

Alexander Keith's- IPA

On tap at the brewery tap room.

A- Light clear yellow, paler than the Lager with a small foamy white head. Moderate amount of lacing.
S- Not a whole lot going on here. Sweet corn and lemon.
T- Light sweet corn/ hay adjunct like flavors, sugary and no hop presence!
M- Sugary and watery. Bland.

Overall- Weak, lifeless, I was really disappointed! Enjoyed the brewery/ taproom though!

2.16/5  rDev -18.2%

Had this in bottle form at The Keg in Ottawa, ON. This was the only IPA available and boy did it let down.

No detecable hops, no aroma, no bitterness. I tasted more biscuit malt than hops. The color was golden, like a Budweiser. Little head, but I really didn't care about that.

2.45/5  rDev -7.2%

The problem with this beer is that people expect it to be an actual IPA (forgivable, considering its name). It is not, at least by the definition this community uses, anything approcahing the style.

That being said, however, it is reasonably flavourful (not necessarily in a good way) for a North American Macro. In appearance, it is not particularly interesting-sparklingly clear and flourescently yellow with a dissapearing white head. A slightly stale aroma with a watery palate.

As for flavour, very small (perhaps imagined) traces of hops, certainly not enough to qualify it as an IPA. Thin, grainy malt profile, but you can trust in the pissy Keith's aftertaste-not as objectionable as it sounds.

While there are certainly many better beers out there, this is our go-to draught beer at bars or restaurants without any good beers.

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

I picked up 6 pack of this while in Canada recently because it was the only IPA at "The Beer Store". I don't remember much about it other than that it could not have been a worse representation of the style but other than that tasted alright. There were no hops present in the aroma or the taste. If it had not been labeled as an IPA I may have felt differently about this beer, but as is I was very unhappy.

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%

Seems like many others had the same disappointing experience with this supposed IPA that I did.

I went and visited the brewery and was completely excited to get some brewery fresh beer until I tried this. Very disappointing.

Pours a straw like color with basically no head on it.

Being an IPA, I expected a certain amount of fruity, floral aroma to it...There was none.

Again, being an IPA I was expecting a huge hop presence...There was none. Medium carbonation. I really decided that this was poor when I ordered the sampler and could hardly tell the difference between the "light" and the IPA.

I would liken this very much to just your average Budweiser or Bud Light.

I will say however that this beer is great if you just want something to sit back and drink without really paying much attention to its qualities. It is a good "hot day" beer and perfect I'm sure for drinking games!

2.03/5  rDev -23.1%

This beer tastes and looks a lot like a light beer with perhaps a touch more flavor. I'd certainly say this is a decent beer to drink for just relaxing. Crisp, clean and refreshing. However, this is absolutely no IPA. Sweet, watery, some fruits and only faint hops are present.

1.53/5  rDev -42%

I was disgusted by this beer. It is a disgrace to its style. From its pale straw colored body, to its over-carbonated weak mouthfeel, and finally finishing on a nasty lingering after-taste. Everything about this beer says macro-american lager.

As they say:
Those who like it
Like it alot

I guess
Those who don't like it
Despise it.

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%

I had a bottle in Windsor, it was the only IPA on the menu. But unfortunately after trying it I realize this isn't an IPA at all. There were no noticeable hops in the aroma or taste, this was just an unassuming lager. It wasn't really bad or offensive unless you count the fraudulent labeling advertising this as an IPA.

3.3/5  rDev +25%

to appreciate this beer discard the idea that it is an IPA. It's nothing like one and I have no idea why they bother putting that on the label. Second do not drink this out of a bottle, it's forte is as a draft. The only time I drink this is when i am at one of the many establishments in Ottawa that only serve macros on draft. Keith's draft is smoooth and has no questionable flavours. it's a fine chugging beer. That being said don't make it your favourite beer unless you are a big time boozer.

1.61/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This was one of the worst IPAs I think I've had, and I don't know how this even fits into the genre. I had this in Canada recently and it was dreadful. It was really skunky so it might have turned bad ... let's hope so.

The beer pours an amber color with a head that just disappeared, no lacing. The aroma was really skunked out, and that's about all there was in the nose. The beer tasted like a bad macro, cooked veggies, adjunct, malt syrup, and the like. There were really no hops present, maybe if you searched hard in the background there might have been something. I've never had an IPA with no hops in the body. I think that says it all. This went down the drain quickly.

4.54/5  rDev +72%

For the record, I am a little biased towards this brew as it is my favorite domestic "macro"...still think it comes off more as a micro and yes I can admit that this isn't a true IPA it's just so good!

A- OK, this is the only area that doesn't make me jump out of my socks. It has the common yellow/staw colour and shows that it has fairly heavy carbonation. The head doesn't come out to much even after a hard pour, but it does retain a thin film of foam over the top of the liquid, something many other beers don't do.

S- The aroma is just so inviting albeit a little mild. I smell some grains, sweet malts that remind me of fresh corn and a hint of the hops that a true IPA would have.

T- The clean refreshing sweet malty goodness of this beer just keeps me coming back for more. The hop presence is fairly muted but at the back of the palate I can taste just enough of a zing to let me know that there is some bitterness to this beer. The aftertaste is pleasant with a touch of hops, but just like the smell, there is a lingering toasted grain and sweet corn combo that just wants you to have another drink!

M- This is a perfect thirst quenching beer, as it has a medium-light body. It does however get just slightly watery right at the end, towards the back of the throat, most likely due to the carbonation, which is quite heavy.

D- This beer comes highly recommended by myself and I feel is the perfect beer to enjoy all night long. It is definately a great chugging beer on a hot summer day or in the pub with good friends....I'll have a schooner of this no problem...and then another! With all the history and quality behind this beer, it's no wonder the good people of Nova Scotia are so proud of Keiths!

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

Well the only thing I have to say is this: This is not an IPA. Trying to taste a lot of IPA lately and this one is by far the worst one I drank. It is not a bad beer... just that the label shouldn't say India Pale Ale. Bought a taster 12 pack... damn still 3 bottles to drink. I guess I'll pass this along to friends! :)

The head is not present, which is something I hate. The color is nice yellow. Smell nothing. Taste like a commercial beer, which is very disappointing!

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a very light colored orange-straw, with a bit of head, not much lacing, and a lot of carbonation. It has a very light hoppy scent, strong malts for an IPA, but at least there was a little bit of bitter aroma. Same for the taste, a lot of malt in the initial taste, with a kick of hoppiness at the end, not a very strong IPA, more of a hoppy yellow macro lager. It did go down fairly smooth, though.

3.38/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a bottle in the Toronto airport waiting to leave.

Drank straight from the bottle, sadly, so I am guessing at the appearance.

Smell was somewhat muted and of earthy, floral hops.

Taste was mostly pale malts with some hop flavor and a decent amount of bitterness in the finish. Much milder than American IPAs and many English offerings as well. More like a slightly strong pale ale.

I guess my expectations weren't that high, based on what else was available at the Friday's in the airport, but I thought this was a solid, above average beer. Nothing amazing and a little mild, but a decent, well made, drinkable beer.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale from Alexander Keith's