Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

poor

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
allergictomacros

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Ah... Keith's. The macro IPA.

A - Clear straw with a huge brittle head.

S - Candy-like sweetness with metal and crispness.

T - Apple-y. I'm a little surprised by this. A touch of fruitiness to too. I think I taste some maltiness in this.

M - A little bit light with a slickness.

D - As with macros, easy-drinking is the name of the game here. Still, it's not quite a macro - there's some interesting flavours here, but certainly not the hoppiness you'd expect from an IPA. Ale or not, it should be in the macro category, IMO, and would compare quite favorably in that.

06-20-2006 02:33:04 | More by allergictomacros
funkengruven

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%

This is something I used to drink religiously, but after having a couple recently I am beginning to wonder why.

This poured to a pretty standard medium amber with a thin head. Smell had some very obvious vegetable-esque notes to it, these also being reflected in the flavor, not very nice. I found this to be bitter and sour all at the same time. It took me about an hour to finish it.

Maybe it was because I used to smoke, or maybe I just didn't know any better. But now after trying it again I can't believe I used to like this stuff. I think I'll just stick to what I know is better.

05-26-2006 06:17:01 | More by funkengruven
jaluria

Connecticut

2.03/5  rDev -23.1%

One of the worst beers I've had in quite awhile. Seems to be quite popular with the locals, but I think that has to do with limited availability of other beers and the price doesn't hurt.

Appeared a golden-yellow color with a high level of carbonation and a soft, white head. No lacing was left behind in my glass. Very unusual for this style...so pale and so thin in appearance. Aromas of hops, detergent, and soap seemed to come out. The taste was just bland without any kind of flavor. Very mild and watered down with a thin texture that barely touched any taste buds. Little hops or malt were detectable in the taste. A few sips of this and I was ready to pour it down the drain.

05-01-2006 14:42:53 | More by jaluria
plaid75

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

I had this beer on tap in Toronto. I have to say that I don't know what the excitement is all about. In fact, when I was in Ireland I was talking to a guy who spent some time in Toronto and he raved about it. My father had it in Nova Scotia and he loved it. I must be missing something.

The appearance is not the copper hue I would expect from an IPA. The smell lacked the hop element I look for in an IPA. The flavor was simple - more like a lager than an IPA. The mouthfeel was fine, but it really didn't matter at that point.

Their slogan is "people who like it really really like it." No truer words have been spoken. However, I am not one of those people.

04-15-2006 00:56:48 | More by plaid75
NolateM

Connecticut

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%

Well, I'd say this beer would probably be pretty decent for a summer beer at a party, but like previously stated in most reviews, it's definitely not an IPA in any way, shape, or form. The color is extremely light, that of a pilsner or light lager, although it's definitely a bit more flavorful than the color leads you to think. The head disappeared literally within a few seconds after I poured it, which is kinda strange. It doesn't have that bitter hoppiness of an IPA, or the slightly elevated ABV - I know it's English-style, but it just simply doesn't meet the requirements of any kind of IPA.

So, if you're looking for something that'll please non-craft drinkers for a summer party, like a barbecue or something (and you DON'T want to resort to Budweiser or any of that garbage), this beer is alright. But if you're looking for a real IPA, look elsewhere.

04-12-2006 16:14:17 | More by NolateM
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev +17.4%

This was the first beer that I ever had. I think that's pretty good seeing as most of my friends started with Club or OV. Anyways, it has a special place in my heart for that reason. However, that meant that I was under the impression that this is what an "India Pale Ale" is. Lord knows that the common consensus is that this beer is anything but.

330ml Bottle poured into a pint glass. Pale is the operative word here, as this looks like a lager. Small amount of head that subsides quickly to look quite flat in no time. From the nose it could be a lager as well, it's all very much of caramel-sweet malts and there's an odor of some cheaper corn adjuncts in there as well. Very sweet-smelling. Grassy, earthy hops in the background, but never very strong.

When one takes a sip of an IPA they are usually greeted by a strong hop presence, this is not the case with Keith's. This is a very malty beer, and I know if blindfolded I couldn't tell the difference between this and a lager, although it's slightly better than your average macro-lager, it's a bit more European in character. Taste is crisp though, and there is a hop presence in the background that comes more to the fore as the beer warms and the real flavours come to the front. Keep in mind though, this beer is much more sweet than bitter, soft in the mouth and a bit thick on the tongue. Drinkable to be sure, and a decent refresher beer. Not bad on tap. As far as I'm concerned though, I wish that Labatt's would have never branded this an "IPA", I feel that I was decieved for a long time, and I wonder what the original Keith's was like in the early 19th century. Maybe old Alex was a little crazy himself...

04-06-2006 01:29:01 | More by trevorwideman
aforbes10

Iowa

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

Smells like vinegar and overripe apples. tastes kind of like some of those really thin, sweet malt liquors. corn-like and weirdly dry. not a great beer, although some Canuck-o-philes disagree. Finish is skunky. i think this was better the last time i tried it, maybe there's some variation between batches.

04-03-2006 17:33:08 | More by aforbes10
gpackin

Maryland

2.42/5  rDev -8.3%

I was on a work related trip to Vancouver when I first tried this Beer. When the waitress brought it to me I didn't think it looked right and after tasting it I called her back over. I told her that I wanted an IPA and I didn't think that this was one. She told me that it was an IPA. I didn't want to argue about it so I let it go and one of my friends from Canada told me that it was in fact Alexander Keith's version of an IPA. This was not a bad beer it just wasn't what it claimed to be. I would drink this beer again if I didn't want a traditional IPA, it was a good thirst quencher.

03-10-2006 18:37:51 | More by gpackin
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Certainly a leaner brew, without much hop presence. The bottle seems to maintain the hops (what little there is) much better than the keg/draft version, which is practically indistinguishable from a macro lager.

A: VERY clear, slightly yellow. Pours with a fizzy, white head, which quickly dissipates.

S: Not much nose, but it smells like beer (a little sweet malt & earthy /floral hop aroma).

T: Flavours are very light. It's certainly balanced to the bitter side, leaving a clean, crisp finish. There's not much malty sweetness here, as it's diluted with a little corn flavour.

M: Light to moderate body is well carbonated.

D: Quite good. Very approachable, and a good summer session beer as well.

"Those who like it, like it a lot!"

02-05-2006 00:17:42 | More by Derek
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a very pale yellow with a very thin head that dissipates very quickly. Smells grainy and a little green, with hoppiness and a little honey as well. Tastes much more like a lager than an IPA, with some hoppiness added to the grains and light maltiness. Mouthfeel is crisp and nicely carbonated, would be very refreshing on a hot day, and the drinkability is good, as the body is light. Better than your average macro lager, but the bar for IPAs has been set quite high in North America, and since that's what it's labelled as I can't see rating it too highly.

01-21-2006 18:17:26 | More by Mandrake
MsRogueRed

Maine

3.45/5  rDev +30.7%

We took the tour and then got to sample the beer. I would've much preferred just heading straight for the sampling, because the tour is a bit odd, although a good way to spend an hour if you have nothing better to do.

I wouldn't even have thought it was an IPA because some IPA's are sort of bitter, but this one was very drinkable although it's not my preferred style of beer.

01-11-2006 17:22:28 | More by MsRogueRed
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +54.5%

I think this beer is one of the best popular beers from Canada.

The taste is sweet and smooth, almost creamy. The malty taste is excellent. It even smells great. The lack of hops, however, is present.

Although on this occasion I reviewed it from a can (so a bit over-carbonated, thus a bit lower score for taste.) I highly recommend it on tap.

12-20-2005 19:51:12 | More by CrazyMike
LPorter33

2.35/5  rDev -11%

Sampled a bottle of this at a house party. I would hardly call it an IPA, just a macro like beer with a tiny bit of added hops. Very bland and uninspiring and just lacking flavor. Average drinkability. It's better than an American macro lager but this is certainly not an IPA and cannot even be compared to great examples of the style. I've heard many Canadians brag about how this beer is amazing. They have no idea what they're talking about.

11-20-2005 21:06:06 | More by LPorter33
NoDeity

British Columbia (Canada)

2.28/5  rDev -13.6%

I was on vacation in a town where I was not familiar with the local liquor stores so I went to a store that looked like a big one, hoping they'd have a large selection. I was in a hurry and I wanted an IPA. They had one: Alexander Keith's. So, I bought a 12-pack. Oops. The colour is all wrong for an IPA (it's way too yellow). It's also too foamy and too carbonated for an IPA. An IPA should leave a lacey tracing on the glass: Keith's doesn't. An IPA should be quite hoppy and it should have a higher than average alcohol content: Keith's fails on those counts, too.

If I was given an ice-cold Alexander Keith's on a hot day, I'd take it gladly. However, I wouldn't seek it out. It's an IPA in name only. So, if that's what you're after, look elsewhere.

10-30-2005 08:20:20 | More by NoDeity
jayc333

2.93/5  rDev +11%

Pours a pale yellow, with a one finger head that fades quickly, leaving a sub-par lace.

Smells really hoppy. Somewhat citrusy characteristics in the aroma.

Hardly any taste to speak of, just hoppy hints. Pretty crisp though.

Very smooth mouthfeel. Thin on the palate, and goes down with easy.

To sum this beer in one word: meh. Nothing special, though easy to drink for a session.

10-12-2005 23:55:36 | More by jayc333
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

From notes. Consumed during trip to Calgary 9/27 - 10/1. I had Keith's both on tap and in the bottle, this review is for on tap.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass with a small head (about 1/4 inch). The beer is dark golden clear, with some small carbonation bubbles evident. The head fell to a ring and left minimal lacing.

Smell: Minimal scent, I detected a faint hop scent, somewhat floral and grassy.

Taste: IMO it is weak for an IPA. This is probably intentional in order for this beer to appeal to as large a number of people as possible. The beer was low hopped for the style IMO but did have a decent malt backing to it.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied, moderate carbonation. A little buttery and slick.

Drinkability: Very consumable beer, very sessionable. One of the few beers that I had more than one of during my trip. However, I don't know if this is a great representation of the style, a little weak, but I think it is intended to be.

10-05-2005 04:12:50 | More by BigRedN
Beastdog75

3.15/5  rDev +19.3%

"Those who like it, like it a lot..."

Or so says the tag-line for Alexander Keith's IPA. I got some of this stuff when I was in Canada because I heard that it was one of the better macros available up there. If graded as a standard fizzy lager, this would be one of the better ones. However, the "India Pale Ale" on the label happens to be the death knell for this brew, as the educated beer drinker knows that this is nowhere near being an IPA.

This beer pours a bright yellow color with some goldish hints to it. A finger and a half of foam forms and retains for about 45 seconds before dissipating. The aroma had a decent fruity smell to it mixed in with a lager-like grainy aroma. The mouthfeel was crisp and moderately carbonated, and the beer actually ended up being quite drinkable. Good hot weather beer. Flavorwise, in most aspects it "tastes like it smells." Fruitiness and graininess make up most of the flavor. A pleasing bready maltiness is present as well. A citric hoppiness is present and makes this beer a tad more hoppy than your standard fizzy yellow beer. The brew is slightly drying in the finish. It all winds up with a grainy, corn-like aftertaste mixed in with the very light citric hop flavors, and there is very little alcoholic warmth to speak of.

Did I like this beer? Yes, but did I like it a lot? No, but I wouldn't turn one of these down. This needs a disclaimer on the label: WARNING - NOT A REAL IPA. I drank it for what it was worth, and that was a good thirst quenching beer and nothing more.

09-04-2005 01:49:58 | More by Beastdog75
putnam

1.05/5  rDev -60.2%

Massive buildup of foam over the clear pale yellow liquid. Aromas of cooked asparagus, clear as a bell. Also aromas of lime corn chips. All of this is far more repelling in a beer than it would be on a plate of course. I keep going back for a smell, wondering if it will be possible to swallow this flawed concoction. As the foam settles it only gets worse; detergent, mescal and composted pine clippings. The hops chemistry is psychotic.
I suppose it would be possible to keep down a swallow, but I choose instead to spit it out. Vegetal, astringent ... why go on? If this were ice cold and I was desperate for alcohol it might be possible to drink this.

Very foul stuff.

08-22-2005 23:15:20 | More by putnam
amstelcat

1.68/5  rDev -36.4%

I had this beer after stumbling out of the woods from a hellish four
day backpacking trip in Ontario so any beer should have tasted
great.

Went to an establishment that served one India Pale Ale, Alexander Keith's. It arrived in an ice cold mug that sloppily melted
into my beer. At first sip, I thought they had served me the wrong beer. It resembled nothing like an IPA in smell or taste. Even the
color seemed to be lackluster- a watery copper.

Very disappointing to someone who would have gladly gulped an
even modestly flavored beer after being so beer deprived.

08-21-2005 14:51:33 | More by amstelcat
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev +20.5%

341ml brown bottle poured in a pint glass.

Straw yellow and clear. The bright white head is only 1/4 inch on the pour and recedes to basically nothing.

Mild aroma is mainly hops with hints of citrus. Some undertones of sweetness and grains.

Mild taste actually has a few characters at the start: hops, sweetness and grains mingle until the fizzy carbonation mutes them to a little tangy lemon taste. Finish is slightly bitter leading to an aftertaste that is shortlived, mild and bitter/acidic.

Mouthfeel is lightbodied and fizzy. Crisp.

Well what do you really say about this beer? It's not a macro lager and it's not an IPA. The truth lies somewhere in between. To be honest, it does fit the bill better for an English IPA than an American IPA, but I think it's still not quite there. On the other hand, other than appearance, it's not really lager-like either. Compare it to other Labatt lager products (Blue, Kokanee, 50) and you'll find this has much more hops and IPA-ish qualities. I dunno. It's pretty good, but nothing really special. I suppose atleast it's a different choice from macros if you're in a bind and don't feel like a macro lager.

08-16-2005 01:48:12 | More by Noxious26
EMV

2.93/5  rDev +11%

Recommended to me by a friend in Montreal, I must admit to having been a tad disappointed with this beer. (then I found out that it's distributed by Molson, and... well.... the world made sense again).

The best part of the beer was its appearance, as it poured a very pretty clear golden color, and had ample foam (maybe an inch and a half) that rose and fell quickly.

Highly carbonated with an average mouthfeel, it's taste certainly wasn't offensive, but it was nothing to write home about either. Neither bitter nor sweet, there was no taste that really leaped out at me, and it was almost hard to tell I was drinking an IPA at all.

Maybe better on tap than by the bottle, it's a pretty drinkable beer and it's certainly not offensive, so if it's between this and the macro cheap stuff, I'd take this one any day of the week. Still, not one that I'd seek out, so I can't say that I'll be recommending it either. For the price, there are many superior beers to pick up in Canada.

07-31-2005 18:14:23 | More by EMV
niangelo

Alberta (Canada)

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A clever little bear, spread through comedic marketing tools (Kind of a "Bud Light" from eastern Canada). And really a better beer if your sitting in a bar, faced with Coor-Bud-Molson draught choices.

Pours with a 1/2 inch head, fading quickly into nothingness, no lacing. Hoppy aroma, a bit yeasty.

Taste is a slight bitterness at the finish with some mild fruity interludes. Nothing special, gets a tad dull near the bottom of the glass.

Mouthfeel is watery, with lively carbonation.

A lawnmower or lesser-of-two evils beer, not terrible but not amazing.

07-27-2005 18:00:51 | More by niangelo
waughbrew

1.78/5  rDev -32.6%

Pale yellow, small bud-like head that quickly disappears leaving nothing behind. Fresh, aromatic corn, hints of sulfur (lager yeast?), grassy and vegetal. Sweet and bright and incredibly bland. Kind of like fruits-and-veggies seltzer water. Finish is rather smooth, which tricks me into thinking "hey, this is not that bad, I am going to take another sip." But then that sip reminds me that this is not very good. And the fact that they call this an IPA is a joke. Unfortunately, the joke is on whomever buys it.

07-04-2005 23:11:57 | More by waughbrew
Noelito76

2.17/5  rDev -17.8%

My ratings are based on them calling this an IPA. I had to look again at the bottle to make sure that's what it said.

To me this was closer to a bad tasting light ale. The color was a light tan. It was quite carbonated with little head.

The taste left much to be desired. There were some hops present, but no maltiness to speak of which left me feeling empty. Drinkability was average because it didn't offend me beyond claiming to be an IPA.

05-31-2005 14:34:29 | More by Noelito76
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +45.1%

Presentation: 473ml can, 5,0%ABV

Appearance: Very pale straw color. Lots of white creamy head and high carbonation (bubbles).

Smell: It smells good. Maybe not the smell of the greatest beers, but one of the most inviting ones for a macro.

Taste: Somewhat watery, because it doesn't have a strong flavour, but it got a very interesting grainy taste and dry finish

Mouthfeel: Correct and easy to drink.

Drinkability: Label says "Those who like it, like it a lot" Lots of you don't, but I do. It is probably the best macro ale I can easily buy here.

03-20-2005 04:28:18 | More by Barraclou