Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 531 | Reviews: 265
2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

Well the only thing I have to say is this: This is not an IPA. Trying to taste a lot of IPA lately and this one is by far the worst one I drank. It is not a bad beer... just that the label shouldn't say India Pale Ale. Bought a taster 12 pack... damn still 3 bottles to drink. I guess I'll pass this along to friends! :)

The head is not present, which is something I hate. The color is nice yellow. Smell nothing. Taste like a commercial beer, which is very disappointing!

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a very light colored orange-straw, with a bit of head, not much lacing, and a lot of carbonation. It has a very light hoppy scent, strong malts for an IPA, but at least there was a little bit of bitter aroma. Same for the taste, a lot of malt in the initial taste, with a kick of hoppiness at the end, not a very strong IPA, more of a hoppy yellow macro lager. It did go down fairly smooth, though.

3.38/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a bottle in the Toronto airport waiting to leave.

Drank straight from the bottle, sadly, so I am guessing at the appearance.

Smell was somewhat muted and of earthy, floral hops.

Taste was mostly pale malts with some hop flavor and a decent amount of bitterness in the finish. Much milder than American IPAs and many English offerings as well. More like a slightly strong pale ale.

I guess my expectations weren't that high, based on what else was available at the Friday's in the airport, but I thought this was a solid, above average beer. Nothing amazing and a little mild, but a decent, well made, drinkable beer.

2.78/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Quite pale, clear with virtually no head and no lace.

There is a lack of hop aroma that would be typical for the style. Lots of fruity esters.

This is a step up from most macros, but it is not an IPA in flavor. The hop is nearly undetectable. The fruitiness is present to the flavor. It has a decent body and low level of carbonation.

A clear miss in the IPA world.

2.19/5  rDev -17%

I am sampling at cellar temp poured into a pint glass.
The beer pours a clear bright gold color with bleached white fluffy head of 2 cm foaming up with a gentle pour.
Aroma is mild and fruity with some grainy cereal malt as well. An IPA? Not too much going on in the hops department on the nose.
First sip reveals a thin watery body with fine rolling carbonation. The flavor is also mild with some grainy malt a bit of sweet sugaryness, and again lack of any hops. I get it that this is an English IPA, but there should be some earthy, or herbal or grassy flavors here from some EKG maybe, but I get mostly vague general grain flavors.
Overall this beer is rather disappointing. I can appreciate a well made English IPA, and this isnt one.

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

Bought this beer in a small joint on the island of Bermuda.

12 oz capped bottle

A- Golden, slight haze, small white head

S- Muted hops, sweet toasty caramel malts

T- Weak, this is an IPA? wow i wouldn't even consider this a Pale Ale if talking about hoppyness. I wonder what the IBU is...they most be very, very conservative with their hops...

M- Nothing to it, does that make it drinkable to me? NO. I'm glad 1 bottle is all i had.

2.57/5  rDev -2.7%

355ml can. Given to me by someone who "heard I like 'crazy' beer". Rating this as an English IPA. I should've known better when he said, "They were giving it out... told me to take as many as I wanted!"

A - Clear, pale, fizzy. Looks light an American Macro with half as much color. Ugly.

S - Grainy adjuncts, slight hop aroma. Not "bash-you-in-the-face" hops, just... enough to let you know it's beer.

T - Sweet, light. May as well be macro swill, but has one slight aspect on the finish that lets you know it's not. Not necessarily offensive, but not at ALL complex. Just... boring.

M - Sparkling water. Seriously. There's no body whatsoever.

D - It's sessionable, and easy to drink... just not ANYTHING I'd ever go out of my way for. If it's this or Budweiser, I'm choosing this. That's about the only way I'd order one.

Not a good example of the style. Pass on this unless you're looking for an easy drinker. I'm dumping it :(

2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a pale gold with excellent clarity and a thin one finger head of fizzy bubbles. Poor retention and no lacing. The aroma shows some mild herbal hop notes and weak rice/corn adjunct malt scent, but overall understated and not exactly to-style. The flavor is in a word bland; the malt is thin and mainly adjunct driven- almost like an american standard lager. The little hop presence is known only in the mild and dry aftertaste that has whispers of minty english hops, but the skunk character out of the keg is more apparent. Thin bodied with med-high to high carbonation, this beer is crisp and clean but not at all a showcase of hops or barley- of course the finish is clean and the drinkability is high. This may appeal to consumers who want to look cool ordering an IPA but prefer a Molson. For saavy Beeradvocates who are in the mood for Canada's take on the original English import, beware or false advertisement.

2.47/5  rDev -6.4%

Its very light in color, similar to a macro lager. Head retention is below average and the carbonation is medium in size.

Nothing really offensive in this offering but I'd just assume order something else. Why? well its a dumbed down version of an English IPA. Dumbed down to the point of having zero bite and nothing to remember it by. Bargain basement malt bill is easily squashed by a very mild drying hop presence.

Notes: Not for me. I'm starting to think crisp clean macro's are the way to go in this area of Atlantic Canada. blehhh

2.23/5  rDev -15.5%

Press for this beer is big in Eastern Canada for some odd reason. Not sure what's behind that, but it can't be the beer itself, can it? Sampled at the Sainte-Elisabeth Pub (Montréal), on to the beer:

I only ordered 10 ounces of it, and I'm sure glad I didn't get the 20 ounce size. Appearance is blonde and clear like a lager. Okay aroma of corn grits, DMS (cooked veggies), and a touch of honey. The taste begins with a slight sweetness from the grain. Some cereals show up too. I'm not wincing, but the overall flavor is weak. It goes fruity for a brief second before going dry, kind of like sweetneer. Hops anyone? Where are they? Yawn. And as the beer warmed, it started to get hard to drink.

If this is an IPA, then I'm the Easter Bunny. Molson Canadian can kick this beer's ass back to Nova Scotia.

2.45/5  rDev -7.2%

Being out of town, in Toronto, I was excited to see an IPA on tap at my hotel.

The draft that I ordered had a pale yellow appearance with a slight, thin head, not what I am typically used to with an IPA. There was no signifcant hop aroma, or hoppy taste, and the beer reminded me more of a lager style.

The beer had a nice carbonation and went down easy, but I was expecting more of an IPA-style as advertised.

2.21/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours light golden yellow with plenty of clarity and a thin white head.

The smell is of sweet grain (some husk?) and corn. Doesn't smell like an IPA - maybe more like a cross between a light Helles Lager and a macro.

The taste -- Where are the hops???? Distant. They are there, but just to balance out the sweetness of the grainy malt, adding little if anything to the taste. Clean, and rather "inoffensive", this is bland to the point of being ridiculous. Some sweet grain and buttered corn (but a bit different than in a corn adjunct way). With modest abv and lack of hop presence, this is out of style. Rated out of style? Bland, boring. Finishes abruptly.

Thin - Light bodied, but not overly fizzy.

Way out of style. Someone send a search and rescue party out for the hops! Other than style? Lackluster.

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Got this from my parents after they took a tour with their coach through the great white north.

Aroma: malty sweet nose, some very light hop aroma - mostly "noble" hops, definitely not English or PNW.

Appearance: Golden clear with a thin (lasting) white head.

Taste: malty with some hop bitterness to balance. this tastes more like a pilsner than what I expect of an IPA. Finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium light body with moderately high carbonation.

Overall: this is an easy drinking bear but not what I expect of an IPA, where I'm looking for more hops up front an in the flavor. This is well balanced and clean with a pilsner malt flavor, but lacks depth of character from crystal/caramel malts. A decent Lager beer, but definitely NOT an IPA.

Pale straw yellow color..1 finger foam that quickly settled with very mild lacing
mild fruity corn,tin stale aroma
Mild taste with lite fruity kinda flavor had a stale metallic,alkaline finish
Medium to light body,went down like tin flavored water
Easy to drink, not as good as on tap,got to try the bottled version next.

2.21/5  rDev -16.3%

This is an IPA?...my ass! Where's the hops?! All I taste is corn extract. This tastes more like Tecate.

A - Very pale yellow body with a surprising long lasting head.
S - Corn. Blech.
T - Corn. Blech. THere's only the slightest hint of hops. It's sweet and watery. Very much like a macro lager.
M - Lots of carbonation and that's about it.
D - Very crisp. Goes down smooth. Would be refreshing, but the sweetness kinda ruins that.

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

I guess I'd probably give this beer a much higher rating if it was listed as what it probably is, a macro lager. As an EIPA, though, this was total crap. My friend says that Canadian beers often make claims to being IPAs (Rickards, Sleeman's, Keith's, etc.) just because it's a 'beer-sounding title,' not because they actually belong to said genre. Either way, this one is a light straw color, with a nose of malt and light apples. Taste is crisp and clean, lots of grainy malt, nothing much else. Feel is highly carbonated but very refreshing. I've thrown back a bunch of these, but certainly not in a 'beer-drinkers' frame of mind.

2.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Initial pour gives a pale golden brew with a white foamy head that quickly dissipates; much lighter in color than I expected. No hint of hops in the aroma like I expected. Taste is more like a pilsener than an IPA; very dry, almost no hops to speak of. Relatively non-offensive brew, but not at all what I'd consider an IPA.

2.12/5  rDev -19.7%

This is not an IPA. Damn Keith's! Pours like a macro should pour a clear golden body with a head that disappears quickly. No hops on the nose just a sweet malty like macro. Once again no hops on the palate ( well they are there but not like a real IPA) some malt and that's about it. I give this beer such a low score due to the fact that it is clearly a macro lager that decided to say it was an IPA.

2.22/5  rDev -15.9%

I tried this beer on July 13, 2007 at Casey's Bar and Grill in Toronto (123 Front St W). The beer was a translucent pale gold colour with little or no head. Aroma? What aroma? I seriously thought I was smelling water. The mouthfeel was crisp and clean with quite a bit of carbonation. The taste was weak and thin-bodied. I followed it up with a Keith's Red....and that was a mistake in and of itself.

2.85/5  rDev +8%

had this one tap at a local sports pub...reviewing as a macro lager 'cause that's what it is folks, despite all the ads & propaganda.

Decent enough looking, 1 finger white head( in an Southern Alberta bar..too much head on a pint of draft beer and yur gettin' ripped off ya know) receded to a thin white cap, then a white ring...lacing was non-apparent (but that could be the local pub detergent too)

smell was very faint..but note some grainy malt & very faint hop.

Certainly a bit smoother than some macros...very close to Moosehead in taste...maybe slighty hoppier, but not by much. If I had to choose between this and Moosehead in a blind taste test with my life on the line....kill me now, I'm DUN.

again, typical smooth canuck macro, maybe a bit creamier...

average, nothing worth paying the extra "Premium" price on tap for.

1.32/5  rDev -50%

Very thin, pale colour, reminiscent of urine. Smells more like corn rather than the hops that it should be loaded with. Doesn't taste like an IPA, more like a sweet, corny macro offering. Has the mouthfeel of a light beer, and is very contrary to how it should taste.

I guess I'd put it a nose ahead of coors light as far as flavour goes. If this were a light lager I'd be far more forgiving of what it brings to the table. I'm sorry if my review isn't as vivid or inspiring as it could be, but perhaps it's fitting because neither is this beer.

"Those who hate it, hate it a lot."

2.12/5  rDev -19.7%

On tap in Montreal, pale yellow with thin white head. Looked smelled and tasted like a macro lager. This is not an IPA in taste, smell, or appearance. Very little hops, in aroma or flavor, and not much malt either. If this were in the American style lager category I'd rate it a little higher, but not much. The only consolation was that I was able to order a bottle of La Fin du Monde to help me forget the experience.

3.13/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Pale gold with some bubbles and a decent pure white head. Head settles quickly with the bubbles sticking to the glass some.

S- Floral and herbal hops. Slightly off sweetness.

T- Mild, a tad watery. Clean. OK, but unexceptional blond ale. Slightly better than average macro. Bit of a mushroom-like sweet taste.

MF- Soft. Lacks the crispness of a lager or the fullness of better ales. Nothing really wrong with it though. Leaves the mouth a little pasty.

D- Very easy to drink, but somewhat uninspiring.

2.26/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured out a piss yellow with a foamy white head. Light malt and rice characteristics in the nose. The taste offered nothing. Blah. If I wanted Coors light I wouldn't have left the country. Why would a brewery insult the good name of an IPA by putting liquid crap into a can and selling it to me for money? Jerks. MEdium carbonation, medium body. Very drinkable, like water.

2.03/5  rDev -23.1%

Came home with two cans in pocket on St. Patricks Day?

Appearance: Pours a very clear golden straw colour with a very modest bone white head that settles quickly to nothing.

Aroma: Sweet, a bit of floral hops, a bit of citrus, and a whack of corn.

Taste: A smidge from the hops, but slight hints of corn and sour fruit. Not much flavour here at all. Metallic flavour in finish is unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: Sharp and fizzy.

Final Statement: Definately NOT my first run in with the dreaded Keiths. It drinks like a cheap cheap macro ale. There's no doubt that it's better than Budweiser or Coors Light, but this is not an IPA or even good ale, and therefore gets terrible marks. Pride of Nova Scotia? I think not.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale from Alexander Keith's