Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

pDev: 27%
Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev +13.3%

Certainly a leaner brew, without much hop presence. The bottle seems to maintain the hops (what little there is) much better than the keg/draft version, which is practically indistinguishable from a macro lager.

A: VERY clear, slightly yellow. Pours with a fizzy, white head, which quickly dissipates.

S: Not much nose, but it smells like beer (a little sweet malt & earthy /floral hop aroma).

T: Flavours are very light. It's certainly balanced to the bitter side, leaving a clean, crisp finish. There's not much malty sweetness here, as it's diluted with a little corn flavour.

M: Light to moderate body is well carbonated.

D: Quite good. Very approachable, and a good summer session beer as well.

"Those who like it, like it a lot!"

Derek, Feb 05, 2006
2.63/5  rDev 0%

Pours a very pale yellow with a very thin head that dissipates very quickly. Smells grainy and a little green, with hoppiness and a little honey as well. Tastes much more like a lager than an IPA, with some hoppiness added to the grains and light maltiness. Mouthfeel is crisp and nicely carbonated, would be very refreshing on a hot day, and the drinkability is good, as the body is light. Better than your average macro lager, but the bar for IPAs has been set quite high in North America, and since that's what it's labelled as I can't see rating it too highly.

Mandrake, Jan 21, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +31.2%

We took the tour and then got to sample the beer. I would've much preferred just heading straight for the sampling, because the tour is a bit odd, although a good way to spend an hour if you have nothing better to do.

I wouldn't even have thought it was an IPA because some IPA's are sort of bitter, but this one was very drinkable although it's not my preferred style of beer.

MsRogueRed, Jan 11, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +55.1%

I think this beer is one of the best popular beers from Canada.

The taste is sweet and smooth, almost creamy. The malty taste is excellent. It even smells great. The lack of hops, however, is present.

Although on this occasion I reviewed it from a can (so a bit over-carbonated, thus a bit lower score for taste.) I highly recommend it on tap.

CrazyMike, Dec 20, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -10.6%

Sampled a bottle of this at a house party. I would hardly call it an IPA, just a macro like beer with a tiny bit of added hops. Very bland and uninspiring and just lacking flavor. Average drinkability. It's better than an American macro lager but this is certainly not an IPA and cannot even be compared to great examples of the style. I've heard many Canadians brag about how this beer is amazing. They have no idea what they're talking about.

LPorter33, Nov 20, 2005
2.28/5  rDev -13.3%

I was on vacation in a town where I was not familiar with the local liquor stores so I went to a store that looked like a big one, hoping they'd have a large selection. I was in a hurry and I wanted an IPA. They had one: Alexander Keith's. So, I bought a 12-pack. Oops. The colour is all wrong for an IPA (it's way too yellow). It's also too foamy and too carbonated for an IPA. An IPA should leave a lacey tracing on the glass: Keith's doesn't. An IPA should be quite hoppy and it should have a higher than average alcohol content: Keith's fails on those counts, too.

If I was given an ice-cold Alexander Keith's on a hot day, I'd take it gladly. However, I wouldn't seek it out. It's an IPA in name only. So, if that's what you're after, look elsewhere.

NoDeity, Oct 30, 2005
2.93/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a pale yellow, with a one finger head that fades quickly, leaving a sub-par lace.

Smells really hoppy. Somewhat citrusy characteristics in the aroma.

Hardly any taste to speak of, just hoppy hints. Pretty crisp though.

Very smooth mouthfeel. Thin on the palate, and goes down with easy.

To sum this beer in one word: meh. Nothing special, though easy to drink for a session.

jayc333, Oct 13, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +23.6%

From notes. Consumed during trip to Calgary 9/27 - 10/1. I had Keith's both on tap and in the bottle, this review is for on tap.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass with a small head (about 1/4 inch). The beer is dark golden clear, with some small carbonation bubbles evident. The head fell to a ring and left minimal lacing.

Smell: Minimal scent, I detected a faint hop scent, somewhat floral and grassy.

Taste: IMO it is weak for an IPA. This is probably intentional in order for this beer to appeal to as large a number of people as possible. The beer was low hopped for the style IMO but did have a decent malt backing to it.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied, moderate carbonation. A little buttery and slick.

Drinkability: Very consumable beer, very sessionable. One of the few beers that I had more than one of during my trip. However, I don't know if this is a great representation of the style, a little weak, but I think it is intended to be.

BigRedN, Oct 05, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +19.8%

"Those who like it, like it a lot..."

Or so says the tag-line for Alexander Keith's IPA. I got some of this stuff when I was in Canada because I heard that it was one of the better macros available up there. If graded as a standard fizzy lager, this would be one of the better ones. However, the "India Pale Ale" on the label happens to be the death knell for this brew, as the educated beer drinker knows that this is nowhere near being an IPA.

This beer pours a bright yellow color with some goldish hints to it. A finger and a half of foam forms and retains for about 45 seconds before dissipating. The aroma had a decent fruity smell to it mixed in with a lager-like grainy aroma. The mouthfeel was crisp and moderately carbonated, and the beer actually ended up being quite drinkable. Good hot weather beer. Flavorwise, in most aspects it "tastes like it smells." Fruitiness and graininess make up most of the flavor. A pleasing bready maltiness is present as well. A citric hoppiness is present and makes this beer a tad more hoppy than your standard fizzy yellow beer. The brew is slightly drying in the finish. It all winds up with a grainy, corn-like aftertaste mixed in with the very light citric hop flavors, and there is very little alcoholic warmth to speak of.

Did I like this beer? Yes, but did I like it a lot? No, but I wouldn't turn one of these down. This needs a disclaimer on the label: WARNING - NOT A REAL IPA. I drank it for what it was worth, and that was a good thirst quenching beer and nothing more.

Beastdog75, Sep 04, 2005
1.05/5  rDev -60.1%

Massive buildup of foam over the clear pale yellow liquid. Aromas of cooked asparagus, clear as a bell. Also aromas of lime corn chips. All of this is far more repelling in a beer than it would be on a plate of course. I keep going back for a smell, wondering if it will be possible to swallow this flawed concoction. As the foam settles it only gets worse; detergent, mescal and composted pine clippings. The hops chemistry is psychotic.
I suppose it would be possible to keep down a swallow, but I choose instead to spit it out. Vegetal, astringent ... why go on? If this were ice cold and I was desperate for alcohol it might be possible to drink this.

Very foul stuff.

putnam, Aug 23, 2005
1.68/5  rDev -36.1%

I had this beer after stumbling out of the woods from a hellish four
day backpacking trip in Ontario so any beer should have tasted
great.

Went to an establishment that served one India Pale Ale, Alexander Keith's. It arrived in an ice cold mug that sloppily melted
into my beer. At first sip, I thought they had served me the wrong beer. It resembled nothing like an IPA in smell or taste. Even the
color seemed to be lackluster- a watery copper.

Very disappointing to someone who would have gladly gulped an
even modestly flavored beer after being so beer deprived.

amstelcat, Aug 21, 2005
3.18/5  rDev +20.9%

341ml brown bottle poured in a pint glass.

Straw yellow and clear. The bright white head is only 1/4 inch on the pour and recedes to basically nothing.

Mild aroma is mainly hops with hints of citrus. Some undertones of sweetness and grains.

Mild taste actually has a few characters at the start: hops, sweetness and grains mingle until the fizzy carbonation mutes them to a little tangy lemon taste. Finish is slightly bitter leading to an aftertaste that is shortlived, mild and bitter/acidic.

Mouthfeel is lightbodied and fizzy. Crisp.

Well what do you really say about this beer? It's not a macro lager and it's not an IPA. The truth lies somewhere in between. To be honest, it does fit the bill better for an English IPA than an American IPA, but I think it's still not quite there. On the other hand, other than appearance, it's not really lager-like either. Compare it to other Labatt lager products (Blue, Kokanee, 50) and you'll find this has much more hops and IPA-ish qualities. I dunno. It's pretty good, but nothing really special. I suppose atleast it's a different choice from macros if you're in a bind and don't feel like a macro lager.

Noxious26, Aug 16, 2005
2.93/5  rDev +11.4%

Recommended to me by a friend in Montreal, I must admit to having been a tad disappointed with this beer. (then I found out that it's distributed by Molson, and... well.... the world made sense again).

The best part of the beer was its appearance, as it poured a very pretty clear golden color, and had ample foam (maybe an inch and a half) that rose and fell quickly.

Highly carbonated with an average mouthfeel, it's taste certainly wasn't offensive, but it was nothing to write home about either. Neither bitter nor sweet, there was no taste that really leaped out at me, and it was almost hard to tell I was drinking an IPA at all.

Maybe better on tap than by the bottle, it's a pretty drinkable beer and it's certainly not offensive, so if it's between this and the macro cheap stuff, I'd take this one any day of the week. Still, not one that I'd seek out, so I can't say that I'll be recommending it either. For the price, there are many superior beers to pick up in Canada.

EMV, Jul 31, 2005
2.75/5  rDev +4.6%

A clever little bear, spread through comedic marketing tools (Kind of a "Bud Light" from eastern Canada). And really a better beer if your sitting in a bar, faced with Coor-Bud-Molson draught choices.

Pours with a 1/2 inch head, fading quickly into nothingness, no lacing. Hoppy aroma, a bit yeasty.

Taste is a slight bitterness at the finish with some mild fruity interludes. Nothing special, gets a tad dull near the bottom of the glass.

Mouthfeel is watery, with lively carbonation.

A lawnmower or lesser-of-two evils beer, not terrible but not amazing.

niangelo, Jul 27, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -32.3%

Pale yellow, small bud-like head that quickly disappears leaving nothing behind. Fresh, aromatic corn, hints of sulfur (lager yeast?), grassy and vegetal. Sweet and bright and incredibly bland. Kind of like fruits-and-veggies seltzer water. Finish is rather smooth, which tricks me into thinking "hey, this is not that bad, I am going to take another sip." But then that sip reminds me that this is not very good. And the fact that they call this an IPA is a joke. Unfortunately, the joke is on whomever buys it.

waughbrew, Jul 05, 2005
2.17/5  rDev -17.5%

My ratings are based on them calling this an IPA. I had to look again at the bottle to make sure that's what it said.

To me this was closer to a bad tasting light ale. The color was a light tan. It was quite carbonated with little head.

The taste left much to be desired. There were some hops present, but no maltiness to speak of which left me feeling empty. Drinkability was average because it didn't offend me beyond claiming to be an IPA.

Noelito76, May 31, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +45.6%

Presentation: 473ml can, 5,0%ABV

Appearance: Very pale straw color. Lots of white creamy head and high carbonation (bubbles).

Smell: It smells good. Maybe not the smell of the greatest beers, but one of the most inviting ones for a macro.

Taste: Somewhat watery, because it doesn't have a strong flavour, but it got a very interesting grainy taste and dry finish

Mouthfeel: Correct and easy to drink.

Drinkability: Label says "Those who like it, like it a lot" Lots of you don't, but I do. It is probably the best macro ale I can easily buy here.

Barraclou, Mar 20, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Disappointment.

The beer is a pale golden yellow, and carbonated with very large bubbles. It looked like a not very good US lager.

Keith's has VERY Little hop flavor.
The yeast was too stong on the nose.

Not a good example of an IPA.

Because of carbonation, mouthfeel was not good.
It went down OK, but to be honest, I'd rather have a Bud.

Tang07, Mar 08, 2005
2.88/5  rDev +9.5%

Not what I expected out of an IPA. Pale golden color with a decent head.

Thick with that yeasty ale taste. Mild hops came through int he finish.

It was very drinkable and had a pleasant enough feel on the tongue. I think it wuold be ebst served brutally cold on a hot day.

unit555, Jan 24, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -9.5%

An India Pale Ale insofar as this is precisely the type of swill that was being guzzled off the black market when I visited that home country of mine two years. With its closest counterpart perhaps something like Kingfisher, Alexander Keith's IPA is a clevel cover for what is a light British pale ale like Boddington's at best or a good commercial adjunct lager at its worst.

Though up front a watered and honeyed herb wash coats the tongue and seems very British, the finish fades into the lingering stale flavors that come from mass produced beer. Piss colored and wholly uninteresting, this beer's saving grace is its compatibility with most spicy, citrusy, or fried foods. Indian or Mexican cuisine is a must with this beer -- anything full-flavored enough to overshadow it -- with a bias toward lime, which compensates for the beer's hop deficiency.

ngandhi, Jan 15, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +42.6%

Not so much a contemporary IPA, but steeped in tradition.

Pale straw colour with a big, creamy ring for a head.

Light grain, almost wheat.

Malted grain upfront with a balanced, dry hop backup. Not a lot of flavour, but nice and creamy dry.

Light-medium body. Very interesting creamy body with such a dry finish.

Altogether, an IPA all about the body and not the flavour. I really dig the light taste with a creamy boday and dry finish.

-Cheers!

BillyBrew, Jan 14, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer pours a very pale yellow color with very little head and leaves no lacing on the glass. The aroma is extremely subdued. No hop aroma. Smells just like Budweiser, which is not something I like. This is a bad example of an IPA and a bad example of microbrew. Didn't like it a bit.

clvand0, Nov 24, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -16.3%

Okay. This beer pours a pale yellow color. The head is a finger tall and falls to just a ring over the beer. The beer smells like an American macro. I don't like it at all. The flavor...American macro. Some honey sweetness. No hops in there. This beer sucks. The feel is thin, somewhat wattery. I am not a big fan of this beer. Drinkability suffers from all the problems with this beer. I guess its a new beer on my list, but at the expense of taste and good beer. Eh.

kmpitz2, Nov 24, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -16.3%

Great! I've been in the Niagara region for a week and haven't had anything close to a good ol' IPA (American, English, or otherwise). I think I'll settle down by the fire place and this nice oak bar at the Pillar and Post Inn and have an Alexander Keith's IPA on-tap...how cool...er...wait a minute....

Appearance: Crystal clear (dare I say Sprite???) and slightly (and I do mean slightly) golden with a sticky white head.

Smell: Are you kidding me?? Is this an IPA?? A faint hop aroma at best. Smells pretty clean and dangerously close to a clear soda. Granted, I've had some pretty big IPA's in recent memory but there ain't nothin' to this one.

Taste: Oh my....chardonnay grapes, oak, and a slightly bitter finish. Very clean and light. No way this is an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Light and slightly creamy. Maybe the creaminess is due to it being on-tap.

Drinkability: Certainly but who wants to...after getting all pumped up about an IPA, I get hit with light, crisp, and clean. I'm so bummed.

If you are looking for a summer fest beer or a clean lager, this is it. If you are looking for any kind of IPA, go somewhere else. This is a joke.

mattcrill, Nov 19, 2004

served on tap...
pours a straw gold. STRAW GOLD!!!! no cloudiness at all. what kind of malt bill are they using on this one?
the biggest problem with this beer isn't the hops -- the pint or two i had were very fresh and had a decent, crisp, noble hop flavor to them. not mouth-puckering hoppiness, but still...
the biggest problem is the utter lack of maltiness in this beer. i think i actually preffered rickard's red (another macro from canada) over this.
a very one-dimensional beer....but not undrinkable, either.

vitesse, Oct 21, 2004