1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Alexander Keith's

Alexander Keith's India Pale AleAlexander Keith's India Pale Ale

poor

poor

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-1998)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 415 | Reviews: 247 | Show All Ratings:
SauceBoss

2.42/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: It was a lot lighter than what I was expecting from a beer called an IPA. It was a pale yellow with a thin head that fizzed away by the 2nd sip.

Smell: I was not impressed. I was expecting to get a big whiff of hops and that was almost not existant. It lacked the scent of other IPAs yet there was a slight bitter smell.

Taste: Mild bitterness and almost a watery taste. It lacked the hoppy feel that one would expect.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a fizzy feel.

Drinkability: This beer had a lot of characteristics of a light beer and although the taste/smell/appearance lacked on this beer, it was easy to drink and would see how people might enjoy it on a hot day.

02-24-2011 17:38:25 | More by SauceBoss
Gavage

2.4/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: pours a clear light yellow color with a 1/4" head that falls apart immediately.

Smell: grass and some mild bitterness is all you can detect.

Taste: mild malt, light lemon citrus, golden apples, and a mild bitterness make up a very weak IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp thoughout. Aftertaste is very short lived.

Drinkability: when one wants an IPA, this does not really fit the category. Easy to quaff, this is closer to a pale euro lager than an IPA.

02-19-2011 21:43:41 | More by Gavage
kneeland

3.48/5  rDev +31.3%

I gotta agree with everyone else... this is an IPA?? Canada must have a different opinion on what pale ale is, and what India is. And what's with the 5% alcohol? I thought Canadian beer was supposed to send Americans to the hospital.

It tastes more like a light lager, pours and looks like one too. That doesn't mean it's not good though, because it's actually quite nice to drink, and I had it in a can!

It has the traditional straw yellow color and taste. A good carbonation, and it left me wanting more. I just don't live anywhere near Nova Scotia.

02-18-2011 23:01:27 | More by kneeland
sweett3k

2.85/5  rDev +7.5%

This is not an IPA more like a sweet tasting Cadian Lager. Looks like your tradional American Macro Lager. Straw yellow great carbonation. Smells sweet yeasty no hops at all. Tast like your average beer. Refreshing and tingily on the tongue. Great warm day fishing for pike and walley swating away the skeeters away beer.

02-16-2011 23:22:04 | More by sweett3k
jellis00

3.28/5  rDev +23.8%

A: Fine, no real complaints.

S: I personally can smell the hops.

T: I was really shocked by the taste, it is alright. I HATE IPAs, but this one is actual enjoyable. I know this beer does not get a high rating, nor should it, but it real is not a skunky beer.

M: Nothing inspiring.

D: I have not regretted drinking a single bottle. I will never purchase the beer, but if it is free at a party I will drink it.

I would say that the longer it has stayed in my frig the better it has gotten.

02-15-2011 05:15:23 | More by jellis00
SebD

3.1/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: : It has a pale yellow colour to it. It shows a high carbonation, has a white head that dies down quite fast and there is minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of grains, corn and light hops.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a grainy taste to it with a very small bitterness coming from the low amount of hops and it also has a bit of malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a high carbonation but is really smooth.

Drinkability: It's a very drinkable and refreshing beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas. It's a good beer if your looking to pound a few back. However, it really doesn't meet the standards of an IPA. It has more of a lagar character to it.

02-13-2011 04:38:23 | More by SebD
MeisterBurger

2.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours an incredibly light straw colour, clear as a sunny windswept summer's afternoon.

The aroma is definitely that of a macro, but it's inoffensive. Mostly light sweet malt and grains a hint of something floral.

Tastes crisp and clean with no off flavors except maybe corn. It's actually more bitter than sweet, but both really dialed back and light. It's very light tasting. And if I am being honest, it's not bad for what it is--but just so we're clear: Not bad is not the same as good. Because this is anything but good.

Mouthfeel is light and middling.

Overall it's not as bad as I was expecting. Certainly not an India Pale Ale, Pale Ale or anything other than mass market swill. And um yeah. What can I say? Those who like it, like it a lot. Those who think it's not the worst beer ever but who don't care to drink it ever again except in extreme situations where they will tolerate it, are me.

02-04-2011 03:01:01 | More by MeisterBurger
marty21

Manitoba (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev +27.5%

A: Pours a clear light yellow with two fingers of bright white fluffy head. Settles to a bit of a cap and left a decent amount of lacing.

S: Very sweet grainy aroma.

T: Sweet grains with a weird almost metallic aftertaste that makes Keith's a little different then other macros.

M: Medium carbonation with a light to medium body.

D: I've had this beer plenty of times so I knew what I was getting into. The label saying IPA didn't surprise me. This is not an Ipa at all. It's a pretty good macro though. But Alexander Keith's really need to figure out their styles of beer. Keith's dark ale used to be called "Stag Head Stout". And that beer is far from a stout. I think the names are more of a marketing gimmick. Overall it's a good macro beer but do not try if you're looking for a good Ipa because this isn't one at all.

01-31-2011 05:35:35 | More by marty21
Jimthebeertaster

Quebec (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Clear pours a golden coat with lots of carbonation. Forms a medium foamy head that fades rather quickly.

S: You get some banana and pears with malts.

T: Malty and a bit metallic, you get a ratio of cereals with a dry finish.

M: I found it clear and somewhat bland

01-24-2011 01:16:18 | More by Jimthebeertaster
OttoBomb

1.53/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

341 ml bottle poured into Dogfish Head signature glass (January 8, 2011). No freshness dating that I can find. I picked this up on a trip to Toronto, the lady at the beer store said it was the best IPA they had.

Eyes: Pours a pale straw yellow with a soapy white head. Super clear.

Nose: Smells like corn and grain. Simple, and uninteresting, this simply cannot be an IPA. Notice I never use the term "aroma" here.

Tongue: This simply isn't an IPA. It has a simple light grain malt flavor, with a suggestion of hops. The macro corn aspect is evident.

Mouth: Spritzy and quite carbonated. This is the only activity that the beer will provide to the palate.

Libation: This is better than most macro brews, which isn't saying a whole lot, but the bottle said IPA on it so I'm rating this as such. It fails miserably. It has minimal hopps on either the nose or tongue and is simply another poor macro attempt to bite on the popularity of the popular IPA style. Even the malt profile is poor.

This is easily the poorest example of an IPA I have experienced. The lady at the beer store deserves a slap.

01-08-2011 09:32:27 | More by OttoBomb
tzchandler

4.13/5  rDev +55.8%

This is a very popular beer in Halifax. When compared to many mass marketed Ales in the region, this has to be one of the best but, here is the funny thing, I detect no hops and the malt is very lite. If your drinking this for the first time your expectations are not going to be met. Matter of fact I would expect you to rate it very low. Think of it as a tasty mass marketed Ale.

When Halifax sold only non-refrigerated (the government loves monopolies), this was an even better beer to buy when compared to the many others since it tasted good warm.

Good Ale, just don't let the IPA on the label distract you.

Cheers!

12-16-2010 03:33:55 | More by tzchandler
djmitche

1.45/5  rDev -45.3%

I had this at a college bar in Toronto, hoping it would be a bit better than the Labatt's and Moosehead also available. I figure, if you're going to make an IPA, then it's probably not fizzy yellow stuff, right? Wrong. It's fizzy yellow stuff - by appearance this is dark straw with minimal head and a coarse carbonation. No perceptible hop aroma. No perceptible bitterness or flavor, and even the malt falls painfully flat. It's hard to imagine a mouthfeel below "not impressed", so it gets 2 points there. All in all, I suppose this is drinkable if you're out of Bud Light, but I can't give it much more than that.

11-20-2010 00:53:39 | More by djmitche
A380

Manitoba (Canada)

1.83/5  rDev -30.9%

This beer looks decent but wow i decided to try it on tap because i had tried it from can and bottle and was so disappointed. This beer tastes like salt to me... its disgusting.. it dries my mouth out, tastes bad and is just overall not a very inviting beer. The metallic taste and the bad aftertaste is just not something people should have to experience. sorry keiths.. youre just not doing it for me.

11-11-2010 07:11:00 | More by A380
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -13.2%

g06h01070 can code.
12oz can into pint glass.
A: A very small, extremely white head pours a layer of foam that quickly retreats, leaving a apple juice layer. The body is creepily clear for and IPA. The color is a light yellow hue with neon characters in the light. No lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma from first pour, is found without even bring the glass to the nose, but what is found and on further analysis, is a bland and faded lagerish bread. Hops that should be earthy and bold with bitterness are not present. Perhaps a bit faded, but other malt tones are not pleasant.

T/M: On the front this beer drinks like a lager, crisp on the mouth, but bringing a bready, rice note. The bland taste of a low carbonated brew is what best describes this batch of brew. Not a hop note is the beer, a bit of a dry finish, that could explain that the hops maybe faded and this beer is not as fresh as intended. The mouthfeel is short and the low amount of body washes this brew away quick. Weak lingering taste and overall intensity.

D: I could drink the whole pack, but not something I would seek out. Maybe a faded batch, but I have had good experiences with faded IPA (rich malt notes and hidden hops characters) not found is this brew.

11-02-2010 14:36:46 | More by GDBEERMAN
HoldensHomebrew

Ok, its not often I review a beer as I like drinking more then typing but.... WTF MATE! This is no IPA. I thought I was in treat for a local good beer, IPA, will this will stand out against the Bud, Moosehead, and other not so tasty candadian beers.... was I ever wrong. I though they had for sure messed up the draft towers after tasting this beer. NO WAY is this an IPA any way shape or form. I even bought the same beer in a bottle hoping it was just a fuxed up tap.... but no its the same out of the bottle. not and IPA, more Cream ale then anything, not what I wanted, FALSE ADVERTISING mateys... now I retire to bed off bad beed =(

11-02-2010 01:24:15 | More by HoldensHomebrew
FishMan123

1.53/5  rDev -42.3%

Got this at a bar in Ottawa. Asked for something with a lot of hops and bartender said that they didn't have much of that and offered me Keith's IPA. You can find this at almost any bar in Ottawa it seems.

Color is a pale (slightly neon?) watery yellow. Pours without much of a head. The smell is distinctive - dirty feet. At first I thought my glass must be contaminated, I didn't think that smell was coming from the beer. But I had a mini-pitcher and indeed, it was the beer. Seriously, dirty feet.

Taste was a bland, metalic, lager. IPA? I think not.

I left when the ball game was over, without finishing the mini-pitcher.

10-15-2010 11:40:56 | More by FishMan123
Dukeofearl

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought an 8 pack of this in Ucluelet, Vancouver Island, British Columbia on a recent vacation. Paid about $16.99 (Canadian) plus HST (tax), which made this way overpriced, but it was the only store selling alcohol we could find on a Sunday afternoon, and it had a pretty limited selection.

Pours a pale BMC-lager like straw color, nothing like an IPA. The few bubbles quickly die away, and no carbonation remains.

Aroma? None, really. Where are the hops?

Flavor? A train wreck. This reminds me of the sweetest corn candy that I would expect of a cream ale. Some maltiness. Hops? Not to be found anywhere. OK, maybe I'm being too critical, let me try again. Nope. Still nothing close to style.

Left some of the 8 pack in the hotel when we checked out, brought 1 home to make sure I wasn't being overly critical. I'm not. Stay away.

10-10-2010 23:22:28 | More by Dukeofearl
rarbring

Sweden

1.98/5  rDev -25.3%

Well, the color is suspiciously pale, light straw colored, faintly hazy, a white quickly settling head that leaves little lacing. Does not look like an IPA!

The smell is faintly acid - nothing what I expect from an IPA.

The taste has a bit white bread sweetness upfront, some lemon sourness, no bitterness. Still no IPA vibes!

Rather high carbonation, a bit watery, rather simple body.

No, this is not an IPA, it's really not a good beer by any expectations. Avoid it!

09-23-2010 22:07:07 | More by rarbring
BBP

2.53/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Pale golden. Very slight head, and extremely slight carbonation.

S- Light smell. Hints of corn.

T- More corn, and a very small amount of hops.

M- Smooth but bad carbo. A bit thin as well.

D- Easy to down, and isn't too too bad for a macro.

Sort of makes me wonder what makes it an IPA. I would probably classify this as an adjunct lager far sooner than I could imagine it being an IPA.

09-08-2010 20:05:32 | More by BBP
kwjd

1.8/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a pale golden colour with some thin head, but no retention. Smells like some hops if you try hard, but really, they basically aren't there. Flavour has almost no bitterness.

This is not an IPA. I believe this beer has set back other IPA's in Canada because of its popularity. Seriously, try to mention an IPA to someone that isn't into craft beer and they will go, "Oh, like Keith's". I don't blame the people, I blame Keith's for making a golden ale and mislabelling it. Hell, this beer probably caused me to not bother trying other IPA's for a couple years because I had no idea what I was missing. For that, I hate Keith's.... yet, it was still the best beer available when I had it this time.

09-07-2010 15:33:42 | More by kwjd
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.23/5  rDev -15.8%

i actually trade for this one just to finish off this bottom 100 list. served iced cold and thanks to a wonderful ba for the hookup, this one was consumed on 08/29/2010.

light pour for the style with a very light amber, nearly hay color coming through on me. small head clings to the sides of the glass for dear life and really just makes it much lighter then i am used to seeing.

aroma is faint, light citrus hops are drowned out by grains and muted corn and wet cardboard. really not an ipa. clean and crisp, light and refreshing it certainly was not terrible in that regard but was not the big bold flavor i am accustomed to. clean finish with little flavor and light dryness.

overall i would pass on this, i tried it, i am ok now.

09-02-2010 01:26:22 | More by mikesgroove
pdgreen

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev +15.1%

A- Light clear yellow ale with a small fizzy head

S- Suttle sweet and tangy honey flavour

T- Nutty after taste with a little honey

F- Crisp and smooth great beech beer

D- Easy to drink can put away quit a few. Not an IPA at all but still enjoyable

08-20-2010 23:09:13 | More by pdgreen
DrJay

2.1/5  rDev -20.8%

Crystal clear pale gold with a fizzy white cap that disappeared quickly -- not even a collar. Slightly sour and musty aroma, faint cereal grains. Very low bitterness, mild sweetness with the same sour character as in the aroma. Slight fruitiness. Short finish, quite dry, light mineral flavour. Light bodied, moderate carbonation. Don't drink this if you're expecting an IPA of any type. Hops are nearly non-existent and while it's mostly inoffensive, it still lacks any sort of character.

08-19-2010 01:13:10 | More by DrJay
jpro

South Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Interesting... this "IPA..." Well, it pours an ultra-translucent, pale straw gold (Bud Light - esque) with a thin white head that exhibits very little retention. Aroma is of light corn notes and a hint of mustiness. Taste is bready malt / corn with maybe a slight touch of earthy / spicy hop flavor (very minimal). Mouthfeel is light-medium. I'm drinking this coming in from the golf course, and its hitting the spot - despite its lackluster performance as an IPA, it is, at least, refreshing.

08-07-2010 18:46:40 | More by jpro
zebulon

2.28/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: No lacing and about 1/4 inch of white foam that didn't last. Light yellow color (color of urine)

Smell: Very weak hard to define, like a macro.

Taste: There must not be consumer protection laws in Canada for beer, because this is definitely NOT an IPA. In taste it is like Corona, weak very little of hops, more like a very light lager than an ale. Taste of corn rather than malt. Just a little bitter/acid, but hardly enough to be noticable.

Mouthfeel: Light is the operative word

Drinkability: This is a hard one to rate. On the one hand you could drink this all day. It is light on the tongue, but so is water. This a drink for people who don't like beer but want something that has more body than plain water plus a little alcohol

08-05-2010 02:49:58 | More by zebulon