Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale - Alexander Keith's

Ratings: 186 | Reviews: 80
Reviews by SWY:
3.73/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: dark brown, big head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: toasted malt

Taste: caramel, toasted malt, and hops towards the end

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, smooth, medium high carbonation, with a slightly bitter end

Drinkability: I actually really like this. It is a nice and smooth amber and could session it. I think it is the breweries best and think of it as a Canadian treat.

473 ml can. The beer pours an amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the toffee and grass, about what I expect from a red ale. The flavor is more of the same. I get some toffee, grass and some grain notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not much to say about this beer. There is nothing really wrong with it, but there is not too much going on either. Not one I would try again, but not something I regret trying.

2.39/5  rDev -18.2%

A 20oz pint at Ceili's, an Irish-themed pub across the alley from my condo, and a popular after-work location to kvetch and such, with my fellow downtown colleagues.

This beer arrives at the table appearing a clear, dark bronze, reddish amber hue, with a thin cap of wispy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves a few swaths of weirdly sudsy lace around the glass as things evenly subside.

It smells of muted, semi-sweet, and lightly caramelized grain, toasted corn, and a bit of wet grass and sour vegetation. The taste is plain, bland caramel malt, some dry grain, origins well obfuscated - like that old box of breakfast cereal that you still thought was 'ok' - some weak floral hoppiness, but not enough to make any difference, and an unpleasant, sour metallic character, that only gets worse as it warms.

The carbonation is quite high, but thankfully only in a mostly innocuous, frothy manner, somewhat masking many of the actual 'flavours', the body on the light side, and very macro lager like in its smoothness, go figure. It finishes off-dry, same shit, same channel.

In the end, this is very much in the same vein as those stale Shreddies that you can't remember buying, as already alluded to. I admittedly have a love/hate relationship with this beer - I had it for the first time the night that I met my girlfriend (the beer options were limited, I was distracted...by the whisky), and now, under veritable scrutiny (shah, right!), it duly withers.

2.96/5  rDev +1.4%

On-tap at Bugsby's in St. Catherines. A little cheesy aroma, reddish brown colour, a lot of white foam. Malty, a tad of bitterness. The smallest amount of toasted malt. Drinkable, but not something to seek out.DRying, average mouthfeel.Taste is not that complex, weak for style.

2.47/5  rDev -15.4%

Not a Keith's fan, their, ahem, "IPA" literally makes me feel ill (seriously, I'm not just bashing). Nonetheless, was at a restaurant last night with a craptacular beer selection and figured I'd try something different.

Nice looking. Deep red. On tap gave it a really nice white head with some staying power and some surprisingly decent lacings.

Chalky macro smell. *sigh*

Pretty tasteless overall. It definately fits into the style, a very British feel to this one. Buttery bread, slightly floral hops and a sort of fruity malt backbone, I get raspberries. I'm being pretty generous here. Chalky, macro aftertaste, blah.

Horrible body, like drinking water.

A decent enough macro, I'd certainly take it over Keith's IPA, but it's relatively tasteless and way too thin.

3.15/5  rDev +7.9%

Never being particularily impressed with Keith's so-called IPA (the IPA which isn't), I wasn't expecting much out of this. Poured out the bottle into a pint glass and watched as the minimal off white head quickly dissapated into the standard macro froth. Faily low carbonation. Nice orangy re colour tho. On drinking, slight lacing appeared. Smells like not a whole lot...Tastes alright, slightly alcohol notes immediately (a bit much for my liking) quickly disolve to fairly nice caramel malts with a hint of hoppy bitterness. Barely any aftertaste. Good balance on the carbonation. I think the alcohol level isn't hidden enough. Strange even though they claim 5%. Not a bad session beer. I can drink this. Theres just nothing really special about this. Tastes better when really cold. Seems like a good candidate for that silly "subzero" draught you can get the likes of Coors light in.

2.65/5  rDev -9.2%

A: This beer looks very nice. A deep see through red with a hint of gold to make it amber-like.

S: Smells very sweet. I was so surprised how sweet it smelt. It's a little caramelly.

T: Still has that sweet caramel to it but not as strong. Hops come in too strong and cover up the nice malts. Still good though.

M: Very carbonated. Watery and light.

O: I tried this in Montreal Canada. It is ok but it has too much bite for my liking. I would only drink if I wanted a canadian ale. Amber ale's should not have more malt than this.

2.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a slightly brownish red, with a rather fizzy white head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing. Smell is grainy, with a bit of caramel and hops trying and failing to cover the adjuncts. Taste is odd. Some maltiness, with a hint of toffee, followed up by the greenish grains that I always perceive in their "IPA" and a slightly rancid corn note. Mouthfeel is a bit muddled, but has some crispness, and drinkability is okay. Not much of an ale, and not one I'll return to.

3.16/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer looks very impressive upon the pour,but that's as good as it get's,great looking brew,but lools are decieving.Beautiful deep amber,mahogney color with a rocky bubbly tan head of good size,sticks around long enough to enjoy the looks and mild lacing.Nose to this one is faint on everything,a little toffee mixed in with some butter and malts and some prunes.Taste is kinda bland,was expecting a lot more,not much there,some sweetness coming at you from the toffee,a little bitterness,kinda tangy stale dry taste all coming at you at once with a hint of metallic,was really expecting a more wholesome maltier caramel kinda flavor,guess i was expecting too much.Easy to consume,not really that bad but expectations were high and flavor was kinda bland for me.Rickards Red has a lot more to offer for the same price.

3.46/5  rDev +18.5%

A- Pours a very nice reddish/amber color, just like the name
describes. I poured hard, to get an idea of the head, and it started off decently thick, about 1 inch, but with the large bubbles, quickly disappeared into nothing more than a foamy skin on top of the beverage, but it offers more than some other beers I've had...actually sticks to the side of the glass. Good carbonation happening upon closer inspection.

S- Slightly sweet/malty would probably best describe the aroma of this ale. Not as pronounced as say, Rickards, but decently average. Maybe just a slight tinge of bread pudding.

T- I have to admit, this is the last bottle of a 12 pack that I bought to try this out, but haven't opened this last bottle for at least 3 months, if not longer. With that said, I actually like the flavor more than I remember. Even though my favorite domestic is Keith's "IPA", this I find has a little more of a hop presence and more flavor than the original, nice mild malty presence in the front of the palate and moderate bitterness to finish off, especially when in the throat. Actually leaves a bit of a mildly sweet aftertaste, which is nice.

M- Definately smoother than I remember, but still a heavy carbonation factor, as the appearance would suggest. Light/Medium body, nothing too serious however. I like the this more so in a lighter refreshing beer, like the IPA....would prefer less carbonation.

D- Definately can handle a few of these in a sitting, but think a couple of these would work better with a meal...probably pasta. Was and still am ever so slightly dissapointed with this brew from Keith's but wouldn't be opposed to ordering in a pub or purchasing again. I suggest at least trying it....I think it will be one of those average brews you try, but I think I'm being hard on this one b/c I love their original so much!

1.5/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a light amber color ale with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of adjunct is mostly dominating. Taste is light on barley and quite strong on adjunct with a dry finish. All in all, this is just another bland offering from those fine folks at Labatt.

3.2/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Clear deep red color mixed with a little bit of amber highlights. Light tan head that settles to a thin cap. Sticky lacing.

Grainy malts with a light honey smell. Some fruitiness.

Very bready and husky malts with a light burnt flavor. Seems to be a light fruit flavor present. Thin bodied with good carbonation giving it a bite in each sip. Mild bittering hops, to slightly balance the malt.

Seems like your average Amber/Red ale. It's worth a try, but don't expect anything special.

3.71/5  rDev +27.1%

A: dark copper with very little head and small spots of lacing.
S: crystal malts and moderate noble hops. Clean.
T: similar to the nose. Malty sweetness up front with crisp bitterness in the finish. Minimal hop flavour.
M: fairly thin, highly carbonated.
O: decent beer to pair with my blue cheese burger but unimpressive overall.

2.82/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured in my glass and the color was good. Good head formed at the top.

Drank. This beer as very little taste. I'm more use to tasty beer so this one is dull.

I couldn't get any smell at all from this one.

The head and bubbles look good while the head disappear very quickly.

Still got 3 bottles which I will try again, at least one more but I'm sure my opinion on it will not change.

Too commercial?!

Drinker target: General audience who prefer their beers taste less... sad.

2.9/5  rDev -0.7%

This seems to be a staple at local pubs. I've had a bunch of other keith's brews, and have yet to be impressed.

Pours a clear reddish amber colour (go figure?). Almost no head to speak of.

The aroma is faint. Kind of grainy. Also faintly metallic or chemical.

Taste is weak. Slightly sour, but some nice malty notes come out towards the end and stick around.

Really heavily carbonated, and thin.. Not my thing.

I wouldn't turn this beer down, but I'm definitely not seeking it out in the future.

2.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark amber with a small creamy eggshell head that leaves a touch of lace behind. The nose is very faint and subdued some light toasted malt and just the faintest suggestion of spice. Mild sweet malty flavors with just the faintest suggestion of hops for balance. The mouthfeel is very similar to a diet coke, watery with a ton of fizzy carbonation. Not much going on with this one.

1.79/5  rDev -38.7%

Had on tap, poured with a finger of white head, little retention, some lacing. Glassy copper-red colour, completely translucent. I think I'm giving this one bonus points for appearance for being in one those nice Keith's pint glasses. Smell is bland and boring, not much to say about it. Tastes like it smells,very light malt and that slight chemical astringency very reminiscent of Keith's "IPA" (which, by the way, is not an IPA by any stretch of the imagination). Nothing interesting at all. And the worst part is a repulsive sour aftertaste that lingers for a second or two, almost reminds me of spoiled milk. It's big on the carbonation and has a thin mouth feel, pretty quaffable on that front.
Overall there's nothing ale-ish about this beer, it tastes and smells almost exactly like Kieth's "IPA". I can't call it completely inoffensive, because it kind of is... mostly due to that horrid aftertaste. Avoid if possible.

3.42/5  rDev +17.1%

Alexander Keith’s Red is a middle of the Red it is not horrible by any means but it not spectacular either.

Appearance- A Red-brown almost bronze color that pours with a full head.

Smell- A little bit sweet with some hops thrown in.

Taste- More hops than malt slightly metallic.

Mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied.

Drinkability- A good pub beer It is definitely worth a try.

3.07/5  rDev +5.1%

Went into the newly-available (in Ontario, at least) Keith's Red expecting either a Keith's IPA with red dye or a bland Rickard's Red clone. So in this respect, at least, I was presently surprised, because it's neither (though certainly much closer to the latter). It's also worth pointing out that I rather detest the standard Keith's.

473mL can, a single picked up from the LCBO. Pours into the pint glass a copper-red-amber, fairly translucent (but not too bad). Capped by an unfortunate head of only one finger (a head which dies almost immediately). Fairly significant lacing, but nothing special. If this brew could support a healthy cap, it would look quite appetizing. Sadly, it can't, and so doesn't.

Smell is pleasant, but neither complex nor particularly compelling. Sweet malt, mostly, big caramel, maybe some vague honey and heather. Biscuity and/or bready. I thought, at first, that I'd picked up some aromatic hops (slight citrus, flowers) at first, but if they're there, they quickly disappear.

Taste is more of the same - no hops to be detected, just lots of malt. Which is sometimes nice, but makes this (like Keith's other offerings) a not very-well rounded beer. On the plus side, you can't taste the adjunct (if there is any). Quite sweet initially (and throughout), caramel malt, with some bread and biscuit a bit subdued under that. Finishes nicely, and leaves a sweet malt aftertaste - but again, where are the hops? Some citrus hops finally assert themselves after almost twenty minutes, but they're hardly noticeable, on the whole.

The carbonation, thankfully, is not macro-heavy; unfortunately, though, it feels almost flat instead. Seems to be trouble in finding a nice balance. On the whole, however, I do rather like the mouthfeel - the body is good, if a bit... oily. And drinkability, when you combine the complete lack of bitterness with the under-carbonation, is exceptionally high. I could see this as a session beer, but only if my stated goal were to get completely blitzed from drink one. Otherwise, there's really not much point to this malt-water.

Part of me likes Keith's Red, part of me loathes it. I can see myself drinking it, but certainly not when I'm in a Beer Advocate mood. Rickard's Red is still the flagship macro red, and this shows a bit of promise, but I think I'll stay away for now.

2.98/5  rDev +2.1%

341ml Bottle

Appearance – Clear reddish brown colour with a large size fizzy and frothy beige coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for close to 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell – Malts, an earthiness, breads/grains, dark fruits, butterscotch

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a below average amount of carbonation but it still feels kind of thin. I can taste malts mixed with grains and an earthiness. There are also notes of dark fruits and butterscotch. It finishes with a malty slightly sweet aftertaste.

Overall – Well, it's one of the better beers I've had from this brewer.. but that still isn't saying a whole lot. It's drinkable, but nothing something I'd buy again.

1.3/5  rDev -55.5%

This is quite possibly the saddest excuse of a red ale I have ever had in my life. It was dark and appealing upon pouring.

The taste? There was no taste. It tasted like someone dumped food coloring in a Bud Light in an attempt to pass it off as a red ale. I'd have a coke next time instead if offered this.

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

I have tasted this beer at the brewery itself from tap. I also had this beer from bottle and there is a distinct difference between the two. The draught version was more aromatic, more hop flavor and more depth.

Color was reddish, brown with a small lasting head.

Smell was little citric, grapefruit. According to the guy from the tour, Cascade hop are used for this one.

Taste is caramellic and fresh fruity, there are some floral and fruity notes. Bitterness is low and the beer is very easy to drink. The biggest difference with the bottled version is the depth of the beer. This is more complex, but certainly has a definate macro taste.

2.95/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: It has a nice clear amber colour to it. It has a nice white head that dies down quite fast and has minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of bready/grainy malts with slight caramel and some light grassy hops.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a grainy taste with some light caramel and light grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a light balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with fairly bland flavours and aromas.

3.03/5  rDev +3.8%

October 5, Alexander Keith's Birthday, let's go out for dinner. Keith's on sale, good... only the IPA, not the Amber, bad...
Nice looking amber ale, actually was quite a red color when held to the light. Clear liquid with an off-white head with good retention and some thin lace. Some caramel malty aroma. Slightly sweet, malty flavor. Smooth, low carbonation made it slightly creamy mouthfeel. Comparable to Rickard Reds, I would drink this before Keith's IPA.

2.94/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this one from a sampler case, containing three of their brews.

Appropriately enough, it pours a copper-amber colour, generating a thin head with decent retention. It looks pretty inviting, to say the least. The aroma is sweet and malty but I can't put my finger on any specific odours.

The taste is similar to the smell - smooth, caramel malt, and rather sweet. A brief bitter hop bite at the start of the sip. A little nondescript I suppose, but nothing offensive. The carbonation is a bit high for my liking, but this is a pretty minor complaint. Mouthfeel is watery, but this is a Keith's we are talking about here so that's pretty much par for the course. It's light and tasty enough that I don't think I would have much trouble throwing back a few of these.

Everything about this beer is moderate. It's moderately tasty, and the flavours are generic and subdued. I have no strong feelings either way on this one, it's a decidedly average beer. I can't see myself going out of the way to pick up more of this, but it's certainly better than their flagship IPA.

to view more.