Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale - Alexander Keith's

poor

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Barraclou on 03-17-2006)
Reviews by djcreepshow:

2.75/5  rDev -5.5%

07-03-2012 11:52:23 | More by csmartin6
tigg924

3.73/5  rDev +28.2%

Appearance: dark brown, big head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: toasted malt

Taste: caramel, toasted malt, and hops towards the end

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, smooth, medium high carbonation, with a slightly bitter end

Drinkability: I actually really like this. It is a nice and smooth amber and could session it. I think it is the breweries best and think of it as a Canadian treat.

07-31-2009 14:07:08 | More by tigg924
Mora2000

473 ml can. The beer pours an amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the toffee and grass, about what I expect from a red ale. The flavor is more of the same. I get some toffee, grass and some grain notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not much to say about this beer. There is nothing really wrong with it, but there is not too much going on either. Not one I would try again, but not something I regret trying.

01-21-2011 06:46:31 | More by Mora2000
MJ63

10-26-2013 00:26:34 | More by MJ63
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev -17.5%

A 20oz pint at Ceili's, an Irish-themed pub across the alley from my condo, and a popular after-work location to kvetch and such, with my fellow downtown colleagues.

This beer arrives at the table appearing a clear, dark bronze, reddish amber hue, with a thin cap of wispy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves a few swaths of weirdly sudsy lace around the glass as things evenly subside.

It smells of muted, semi-sweet, and lightly caramelized grain, toasted corn, and a bit of wet grass and sour vegetation. The taste is plain, bland caramel malt, some dry grain, origins well obfuscated - like that old box of breakfast cereal that you still thought was 'ok' - some weak floral hoppiness, but not enough to make any difference, and an unpleasant, sour metallic character, that only gets worse as it warms.

The carbonation is quite high, but thankfully only in a mostly innocuous, frothy manner, somewhat masking many of the actual 'flavours', the body on the light side, and very macro lager like in its smoothness, go figure. It finishes off-dry, same shit, same channel.

In the end, this is very much in the same vein as those stale Shreddies that you can't remember buying, as already alluded to. I admittedly have a love/hate relationship with this beer - I had it for the first time the night that I met my girlfriend (the beer options were limited, I was distracted...by the whisky), and now, under veritable scrutiny (shah, right!), it duly withers.

02-07-2009 20:04:06 | More by biboergosum
BrewMaven

11-13-2013 21:35:18 | More by BrewMaven
Sammy

2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at Bugsby's in St. Catherines. A little cheesy aroma, reddish brown colour, a lot of white foam. Malty, a tad of bitterness. The smallest amount of toasted malt. Drinkable, but not something to seek out.DRying, average mouthfeel.Taste is not that complex, weak for style.

05-19-2010 00:19:06 | More by Sammy
CanuckRover

2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

Not a Keith's fan, their, ahem, "IPA" literally makes me feel ill (seriously, I'm not just bashing). Nonetheless, was at a restaurant last night with a craptacular beer selection and figured I'd try something different.

Nice looking. Deep red. On tap gave it a really nice white head with some staying power and some surprisingly decent lacings.

Chalky macro smell. *sigh*

Pretty tasteless overall. It definately fits into the style, a very British feel to this one. Buttery bread, slightly floral hops and a sort of fruity malt backbone, I get raspberries. I'm being pretty generous here. Chalky, macro aftertaste, blah.

Horrible body, like drinking water.

A decent enough macro, I'd certainly take it over Keith's IPA, but it's relatively tasteless and way too thin.

01-10-2008 00:35:47 | More by CanuckRover

08-20-2012 19:50:06 | More by Ralphs66
ozmodium

British Columbia (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

Never being particularily impressed with Keith's so-called IPA (the IPA which isn't), I wasn't expecting much out of this. Poured out the bottle into a pint glass and watched as the minimal off white head quickly dissapated into the standard macro froth. Faily low carbonation. Nice orangy re colour tho. On drinking, slight lacing appeared. Smells like not a whole lot...Tastes alright, slightly alcohol notes immediately (a bit much for my liking) quickly disolve to fairly nice caramel malts with a hint of hoppy bitterness. Barely any aftertaste. Good balance on the carbonation. I think the alcohol level isn't hidden enough. Strange even though they claim 5%. Not a bad session beer. I can drink this. Theres just nothing really special about this. Tastes better when really cold. Seems like a good candidate for that silly "subzero" draught you can get the likes of Coors light in.

09-04-2007 01:08:07 | More by ozmodium
JamesHenjum

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

A: This beer looks very nice. A deep see through red with a hint of gold to make it amber-like.

S: Smells very sweet. I was so surprised how sweet it smelt. It's a little caramelly.

T: Still has that sweet caramel to it but not as strong. Hops come in too strong and cover up the nice malts. Still good though.

M: Very carbonated. Watery and light.

O: I tried this in Montreal Canada. It is ok but it has too much bite for my liking. I would only drink if I wanted a canadian ale. Amber ale's should not have more malt than this.

08-08-2012 01:25:41 | More by JamesHenjum
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a slightly brownish red, with a rather fizzy white head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing. Smell is grainy, with a bit of caramel and hops trying and failing to cover the adjuncts. Taste is odd. Some maltiness, with a hint of toffee, followed up by the greenish grains that I always perceive in their "IPA" and a slightly rancid corn note. Mouthfeel is a bit muddled, but has some crispness, and drinkability is okay. Not much of an ale, and not one I'll return to.

05-23-2006 21:06:50 | More by Mandrake
Danielr26

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%

04-17-2014 00:16:25 | More by Danielr26
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer looks very impressive upon the pour,but that's as good as it get's,great looking brew,but lools are decieving.Beautiful deep amber,mahogney color with a rocky bubbly tan head of good size,sticks around long enough to enjoy the looks and mild lacing.Nose to this one is faint on everything,a little toffee mixed in with some butter and malts and some prunes.Taste is kinda bland,was expecting a lot more,not much there,some sweetness coming at you from the toffee,a little bitterness,kinda tangy stale dry taste all coming at you at once with a hint of metallic,was really expecting a more wholesome maltier caramel kinda flavor,guess i was expecting too much.Easy to consume,not really that bad but expectations were high and flavor was kinda bland for me.Rickards Red has a lot more to offer for the same price.

10-28-2007 03:49:33 | More by GrimmReaper
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +19.6%

A- Pours a very nice reddish/amber color, just like the name
describes. I poured hard, to get an idea of the head, and it started off decently thick, about 1 inch, but with the large bubbles, quickly disappeared into nothing more than a foamy skin on top of the beverage, but it offers more than some other beers I've had...actually sticks to the side of the glass. Good carbonation happening upon closer inspection.

S- Slightly sweet/malty would probably best describe the aroma of this ale. Not as pronounced as say, Rickards, but decently average. Maybe just a slight tinge of bread pudding.

T- I have to admit, this is the last bottle of a 12 pack that I bought to try this out, but haven't opened this last bottle for at least 3 months, if not longer. With that said, I actually like the flavor more than I remember. Even though my favorite domestic is Keith's "IPA", this I find has a little more of a hop presence and more flavor than the original, nice mild malty presence in the front of the palate and moderate bitterness to finish off, especially when in the throat. Actually leaves a bit of a mildly sweet aftertaste, which is nice.

M- Definately smoother than I remember, but still a heavy carbonation factor, as the appearance would suggest. Light/Medium body, nothing too serious however. I like the this more so in a lighter refreshing beer, like the IPA....would prefer less carbonation.

D- Definately can handle a few of these in a sitting, but think a couple of these would work better with a meal...probably pasta. Was and still am ever so slightly dissapointed with this brew from Keith's but wouldn't be opposed to ordering in a pub or purchasing again. I suggest at least trying it....I think it will be one of those average brews you try, but I think I'm being hard on this one b/c I love their original so much!

04-01-2008 02:03:26 | More by ChrisCage
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.5/5  rDev -48.5%

Bottle: Poured a light amber color ale with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of adjunct is mostly dominating. Taste is light on barley and quite strong on adjunct with a dry finish. All in all, this is just another bland offering from those fine folks at Labatt.

07-24-2006 18:44:59 | More by Phyl21ca
BeerSox

3.18/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Clear deep red color mixed with a little bit of amber highlights. Light tan head that settles to a thin cap. Sticky lacing.

Grainy malts with a light honey smell. Some fruitiness.

Very bready and husky malts with a light burnt flavor. Seems to be a light fruit flavor present. Thin bodied with good carbonation giving it a bite in each sip. Mild bittering hops, to slightly balance the malt.

Seems like your average Amber/Red ale. It's worth a try, but don't expect anything special.

11-26-2006 20:05:34 | More by BeerSox
ThinkAgain

01-06-2012 17:38:41 | More by ThinkAgain
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured in my glass and the color was good. Good head formed at the top.

Drank. This beer as very little taste. I'm more use to tasty beer so this one is dull.

I couldn't get any smell at all from this one.

The head and bubbles look good while the head disappear very quickly.

Still got 3 bottles which I will try again, at least one more but I'm sure my opinion on it will not change.

Too commercial?!

Drinker target: General audience who prefer their beers taste less... sad.

06-09-2008 01:43:21 | More by ZorPrime