Alexander Keith's Premium White - Alexander Keith's

poor

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Shadman on 03-25-2009)
Reviews by andrenaline:

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: dark-brownish gold, medium head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: orange, lemon, cardamom

Taste: orange, lemon, cardamom, cream, and wheat

Mouthfeel: creamy, sweet, medium carbonation, medium body, very smooth-borderline watery

Drinkability: Very average for a witbier, but very drinkable for a beer period. I could have several. I can really taste the orange and the lemon. I think my grade would be a solid B if I was grading regardless of style, but a bit lower as a witbier.

Thanks to my father for bringing this beer back from a recent trip to Halifax.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is big on the wheat notes, with not too much else coming through. The flavor is more complicated, with some wheat as well as some lemon and spice (coriander?) notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

20oz pint at the Metro. Let's see if Keith's treats the witbier style with more respect and/or sense than they do the IPA.

This beer arrives on the bar, in fine Keith's glassware (tall and slim, don't let too much of that precious aroma get out), adorned with that slice of orange that the kids seem to be into these days, and looks to be a cloudy, pale apricot-orange hue, with a thin cap of soapy off-white head, which soon leaves some sparse streaky lace around the glass. Not bad, no surprises here.

Getting on with it, it smells of faint buttery white bread, sort of corny, sort of malty, with a hint of bland orange juice, all so timid that I can smell my drinking buddy's (different) beer from a few feet away. The taste is somewhat yeasty, with very mild orange and coriander overtones, although the orange could still be coming from the aforementioned slice of fruit that I instantly removed from the beer, but consumed anyway, waste not want not. Beyond that, there is a weak, kind of astringent pale maltiness, betraying its barely-masked macro heritage.

The carbonation is much too high, kind of burning at first, until my throat just gave in, the body has a medium-light weight that you know just wants to be dense and cloying, but fails miserably on both counts, and is as thin as the "Premium" marketing premise around this whole deal. It finishes off-dry, the anemic fruit and grain limping along, joined by a bit of the house skunk for good measure.

The obvious comparison, in weight-class, at least, is to Rickard's White. While Rickard's is a shell of a white beer, it still has a somewhat respectable ancestry in Blue Moon. On the other hand, Keith's White (I'm not going to call it 'Premium') is a meta-shell of a white beer. It seems jumping on the bandwagon necessitates taking even less risk the farther down the road one goes. I don't see how much more dumbing down this style can take around here - the next iteration may cause a singularity that implodes beer-space-time. Shudder.

1.98/5  rDev -29.5%

A poor beer and extremely weak representation of the style. Pours light bodied with lots of carbonation, and a bit of retained head. Cheesy aroma, weak mouthfeel with carbonation a bit agressive. I cannot drink much of this and it became a drain pour. Decidedly he worst of the Alexander Keith series.

3.58/5  rDev +27.4%

12oz bottle into imperial pint glass.

A: A haze lemon, yellow body. A head that settles as a thin white layer. No lace.

S: Clove is the predominate flavor in this aroma profile.

T/M: A bland witbier, but a nice and drinkable taste. The flavors do do justice to the style, so for Alexander Keith's beers on what I have heard the styles have not been spot on. This one does do justice to a witbier, so not the best but mmm tasty on a 90 degree night.

D: Good taste, but not the best. I could drink these in session, so I guess this beer is on the solid drinkable side.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

A few years ago, I went on a beer run and brought a 12 pack of these for a group of girls. Now, I've always had a certain amount of hate for Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale but tried one of these and was very glad I did. Before this, I didn't really care for wheat beers and this completely changed that. I can now say that thanks to Keith's I can enjoy every style of beer... which is kind of surprising.

So, a part from a couple glasses of water this is the first thing in me on this 5th day of the 2010 Montreal heatwave. Just noticed: 200th review. Not the best for the occasion but whatever.

A- Hazy golden. 2 centimeter white head looks like a sligoing onin here.htly creamier version of one you'd find on an aggresively poured macro lager. A lot of carbonation bubbles g

S- Clove and some other citrusy spice I can't put my finger on... probably just orange peel. Something milky in the back. Apple juice. All in all, not the best witbier smell but it is enjoyable. A bit of kiwi I think. A little caramel at room temp.

T- Alcohol from start to finish. The rest is like a diluted witbier without it actually tasting like water. Kind of has that chemical nastiness and bitterness which is so present in the India Pale Ale and many other macros but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much here. Don't really know what to say other than it's bland but that very blandness is what eased me into the styles. Getting some peach now that it's warmer.

M- High carbonation starts off prickly but smooths right out. Full mouthfeel. Dry finish.

D- Very good. Smooth refreshing and not foul enough to turn me off. I'd drink a whole bunch ifI didn't have anything better.

I think... not sure I'd have to compare side by side, but I think I like this better than Hoegaarden. So I consider this a good cheap witbier fix. I'm surpised myself by this statement.

1.65/5  rDev -41.3%

This was by far one of the worst Witbier I have ever had. The fact they deem this a Witbier is appalling. It had almost no citrus or spice flavour. I'm sure glad I bought a 12 pack of this.

Appearance - pours a brown-orange color with a yellowish-brown head.

Smell - very faint smell of some kind of citrus, old orange peel smell?

Taste - tastes nothing like a Witbier should. Tastes like a cross between a white beer and a honey brown.

Mouthfeel - decent.

Drinkability - if you're looking for a wit beer, look elsewhere.

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

A - poured a two finger fluffy white head with decent retention, patchy lacing, cloudy wheat orange colour.

Smell is wheat and citrus - orange peel

Taste follows the nose with some lemon zest, pepper and coriander - a little bit artificial tasting.

Mouth is light to medium bodied, pretty smooth, little bitterness.

Overall,this is a drinkable wheat that is cheap and readily available. Again, this would be a B if it wasn't a macro. Definitely worth grabbing at the patio of a bar only serving macro brews.

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a golden color ale with a small bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of light spices with some weird adjunct crap and no real notes of wheat. Taste is also dominated by some crap adjunct with some very faint wheat and subtle spices at the end. Body is a bit thin with some average carbonation. This is a real shame that they have dumbed down a easily accessible style.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

I am reviewing the last times I had this beer, which was on tap at a bar in Toronto.

The beer poured with very little head and the color was not very rich.It had that aspect to it, in which you could see through just a little bit too much. The color however, was fairly decent you take into account that this is a Macro-Brewed beer, so I had the mindset where it's not really fair to compare it to something very high end.

The mouth feel as well was good for a macro brewed beer. If it was not a beer which you paid four bucks for, and you were paying more for a premium beer, I would be a lot more harsh on it. However, for what it is, it is good.

In total it is drinkable, and is decent for a MacroBeer. However, Beer snobs should feel free to pass on this one.

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Ok, bought this one as a deal. 2 cans for 4$.

The beer is yellow color and hazy. There is some orange notes in the color too. Nice looking beer. The head is cloudy looking but disappear quickly. Aroma is fruity but low notes of spices. Average aroma, it would gain at being more smelly :). On the taste, the beer is more intense. Fruity (citrus). No bitterness. Refreshing. This is good for summer day. Cheap refreshing beer. Not at all of sipping. Drinkability is high.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

This smells like hoegaarden but tastes awful. There is a bad after taste and it isn't really cloudy. This is labatt product so we can't ask much from it but at least try. It has a yellow color but this beer looks filtrated. It ia way too expensive for what you get though. But this is the style of keith's, we can't trust the kind of beer we buy from them just by looking at their suppose "ipa".

2.95/5  rDev +5%

My buddy took a trip to Canada a few weeks ago and brought some beer back with him.

A: Doesn't look too special, until I looked this beer up, I had no idea it was supposed to be a wheat beer, I thought it was just a pale lager. Slightly hazy golden color with fluffy head, no lacing.

S: Smells like a lager with the slightest hints at citrus and spices.

T: The wheat beer flavor is almost coming through upon many swishes. Extremely subdued orange flavors followed by adjunct lager-esque malt. Regardless, it's still enjoyable and refreshing. Just not really living up to the style.

M: Highly carbonated, crisp, refreshing, finishes the littlest bit dry.

O: Glad I got to try it, but wouldn't seek this out at a store. I'm sure Canada has much better beers to offer.

2.53/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

341ml Bottle

Appearance - Hazy gold colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. I can't make out much carbonation due to the haziness and there is a fair amount of lacing. The head lasted for 5 minutes.

Smell – Breads/grains, faint oranges/bananas/all spice, a skunkiness

Taste & Mouth - The beer comes across as slightly thin and watery and there is an average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains and corn. There are also light notes of oranges/bananas/all spice - but not a whole lot. It finishes with a grainy aftertaste with some hints of oranges and spice.

Overall – It tasted like a basic adjunct beer with some spices thrown in. There are so many other beers that I would rather be drinking.. I wouldn't buy this again.

Alexander Keith's Premium White from Alexander Keith's