Alexander Keith's Premium White - Alexander Keith's

poor

Alexander Keith's visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Shadman on 03-25-2009)
Bythepint

4.75/5  rDev +69%

This is the best beer I have had in a long time. I like a sure bet. The taste of this beer is well researched. It is fancy with its seville orange flavour, yet it does not have a bitter aftertaste. It has a full aroma and taste without being heavy and filling. I haven't bought anything else since I first tried it a month ago. I find there is something mysterious about it.
Tank you Keith, I like the way you think!

05-22-2012 20:32:58 | More by Bythepint

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

09-22-2012 07:36:41 | More by PanchoVentura
Yoonisaykul

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

A few years ago, I went on a beer run and brought a 12 pack of these for a group of girls. Now, I've always had a certain amount of hate for Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale but tried one of these and was very glad I did. Before this, I didn't really care for wheat beers and this completely changed that. I can now say that thanks to Keith's I can enjoy every style of beer... which is kind of surprising.

So, a part from a couple glasses of water this is the first thing in me on this 5th day of the 2010 Montreal heatwave. Just noticed: 200th review. Not the best for the occasion but whatever.

A- Hazy golden. 2 centimeter white head looks like a sligoing onin here.htly creamier version of one you'd find on an aggresively poured macro lager. A lot of carbonation bubbles g

S- Clove and some other citrusy spice I can't put my finger on... probably just orange peel. Something milky in the back. Apple juice. All in all, not the best witbier smell but it is enjoyable. A bit of kiwi I think. A little caramel at room temp.

T- Alcohol from start to finish. The rest is like a diluted witbier without it actually tasting like water. Kind of has that chemical nastiness and bitterness which is so present in the India Pale Ale and many other macros but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much here. Don't really know what to say other than it's bland but that very blandness is what eased me into the styles. Getting some peach now that it's warmer.

M- High carbonation starts off prickly but smooths right out. Full mouthfeel. Dry finish.

D- Very good. Smooth refreshing and not foul enough to turn me off. I'd drink a whole bunch ifI didn't have anything better.

I think... not sure I'd have to compare side by side, but I think I like this better than Hoegaarden. So I consider this a good cheap witbier fix. I'm surpised myself by this statement.

07-09-2010 16:54:39 | More by Yoonisaykul
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev +27.4%

12oz bottle into imperial pint glass.

A: A haze lemon, yellow body. A head that settles as a thin white layer. No lace.

S: Clove is the predominate flavor in this aroma profile.

T/M: A bland witbier, but a nice and drinkable taste. The flavors do do justice to the style, so for Alexander Keith's beers on what I have heard the styles have not been spot on. This one does do justice to a witbier, so not the best but mmm tasty on a 90 degree night.

D: Good taste, but not the best. I could drink these in session, so I guess this beer is on the solid drinkable side.

07-15-2010 02:15:16 | More by GDBEERMAN

RyGlas

12-25-2012 17:19:10 | More by RyGlas
allergictomacros

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Fairly cloudy once the last bits in the can get out - it seems to have settled some. Head is a fizzy white with some decent heft actually. Soft nose, some orange, banana and cloves, some faint butter and caramel as well. Dry and lightly bitter. Some citrus and spice flavour and a quickly dissipating aftertaste. Little bit of yeastiness. Impressively substantial body for a... much maligned brewery, but still too fizzy. Overall, I think this one has hit the main points but this isn't close to my favorite wit. Still, it'll do in a pinch.

02-28-2010 21:07:14 | More by allergictomacros
CAMRAhardliner

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Im sure this was brewed to Alexander Keith's very own Hoegaarden clone recipe from 1821. Contains 'citrus' rather than orange peel. Strange.

It pours a cloudy staw gold color with a foamy, shortlived head than manages to muster up a good amount of lace. The aroma is light with a sweet coriander, bubblegum and malt dough. The taste is robustly malty with a pleasant phenolic yeast character and some coriander. Where it falls flat is in the sweet citrus department. Most Witbiers attain a certain aromatic dryness from the addition of bitter orange peel, in this, citrus is lost in the mix. The mouthfeel fullish with a nice, full carbonation. The finish is sweet and phenolic.

I was very skeptical of this offering when I saw it at the LCBO, just a low quality mass market brewery capitalizing on a 'specialty' beer trend. After trying it, I can say it surpassed my expectations. It's not as good as Hoegaarden, but its still quite quaffable.

04-22-2009 02:44:39 | More by CAMRAhardliner
ZorPrime

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Ok, bought this one as a deal. 2 cans for 4$.

The beer is yellow color and hazy. There is some orange notes in the color too. Nice looking beer. The head is cloudy looking but disappear quickly. Aroma is fruity but low notes of spices. Average aroma, it would gain at being more smelly :). On the taste, the beer is more intense. Fruity (citrus). No bitterness. Refreshing. This is good for summer day. Cheap refreshing beer. Not at all of sipping. Drinkability is high.

03-12-2011 02:27:14 | More by ZorPrime
eth916

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

Purchased sampler pack while on a hockey trip in Canada.

Appearance - Golden in color and slightly cloudy

Smell - Spice and subtle hint of citrus

Taste - Spice and citrus flavors are faint. Wheat is most prominent. Flavors not as robust as other Witbiers.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and somewhat watery

Drinkability - Not a bad beer. Would not hesitate to choose this beer again if another favorite was not available.

Serving Type: Bottle

12-28-2009 23:53:57 | More by eth916
scott451

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

Swirl poured into a glass beaker. A hazy apricot with a two finger white head diminishes to a ring. Strong fine lacing. Smells of cloves up front. Faint citrus notes. Taste is subdued. Tangy bread flavours. Slightly sour malty aftertaste. A mildly bitter tang at the end. Mouthfeel is medium body, nicely carbonated. Drinkabiity is good except the sour notes might get old after a while. Not a bad Wit from a major.

06-23-2010 17:17:20 | More by scott451

Arizona

06-04-2013 23:54:49 | More by Camjmorton
tigg924

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: dark-brownish gold, medium head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: orange, lemon, cardamom

Taste: orange, lemon, cardamom, cream, and wheat

Mouthfeel: creamy, sweet, medium carbonation, medium body, very smooth-borderline watery

Drinkability: Very average for a witbier, but very drinkable for a beer period. I could have several. I can really taste the orange and the lemon. I think my grade would be a solid B if I was grading regardless of style, but a bit lower as a witbier.

07-28-2009 15:56:10 | More by tigg924
Stocean1

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

A - poured a two finger fluffy white head with decent retention, patchy lacing, cloudy wheat orange colour.

Smell is wheat and citrus - orange peel

Taste follows the nose with some lemon zest, pepper and coriander - a little bit artificial tasting.

Mouth is light to medium bodied, pretty smooth, little bitterness.

Overall,this is a drinkable wheat that is cheap and readily available. Again, this would be a B if it wasn't a macro. Definitely worth grabbing at the patio of a bar only serving macro brews.

11-04-2011 03:12:44 | More by Stocean1
EatsTacos

Yukon (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

Had this on tap the other night at Barny's patio in London, and to me it was remarkably better than it was from the can I tried a few months ago.

The texture of the beer really improved on tap, and as the beer warmed the flavours became less subtle. The soapy cilantro/coriander taste that to me was all too strong from the can seemed mellowed and the beer was much more drinkable because of the relative improvements in mouthfeel and taste.

06-30-2009 03:36:23 | More by EatsTacos
decimator

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

473ml can poured into pint glass.

A - Somewhat cloudy golden yellow color but the white head disappeared rather quickly.

S - Citrus fruits, some spice, faint aroma of grains.

T - Noticeable tangy taste from the citrus flavors. Spices are not as prominent as other witbiers I've had. And a little hop bitterness at the end.The balance seems just a bit too fruity and just not enough spice.

M - Average carbonation. Texture has some creaminess to it due to being unfiltered.

D - Certainly quite drinkable as is goes down pretty easy yet this beer has just enough flavor to satisfy my palate without overpowering it.

Keith's interpretation of a witbier is pretty decent. It's one of my go to brews for something refreshing but there are better ones out there.

08-16-2009 01:58:54 | More by decimator
JOaikido

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

341 ml bottle.

A- Cloudy pale gold. Big bubbles rising to a small (0.5 inch) head that decreases rapidly.

S- Macro beer with a touch of wheat sourness when sniffed in the bottle. Touch of yeast and citrus noticeable in the glass.

T- A little bland. Watered down wit. Yeast and wheat is present btu faint on the citrus. Bitter finish. A little vegetable flavour as it warms.

MF- Crisp and refreshing.

D- Easy drinker. Not a great witbier, but better than anything else from Keith's.

05-25-2009 16:33:19 | More by JOaikido
TheHammer

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Had this at the Brassie in Ancaster, as the place was plastered with ads for it. The beer came in an Alexander Keith's pint glass, as should be expected. The beer came with a good finger of head that retained exceptionally well but didn't lace that much. The carbonation also looks to be quite good as well. However, the beer itself isn't as cloudy as you'd expect from a witbier, and comes off as orange with gold highlights. You can see through the glass, albeit with difficulty, which leads me to believe this beer may be a bit watered down.

Smell: The smell has a nice citrus scent to it, with both orange and lemon being present. Coriander and cloves make an appearance as well with a slight touch of cinnamon. However, it isn't especially strong and took quite a bit of warming to come out.

Taste: I mentioned in the appearance section that this beer might be watered down. Well upon tasting it, there is no question that it is. This upsets me because it tastes good and has an excellent balance of flavors but comes off muted. Starts with a nice citrus taste with a hint of coriander, then turns slightly spicy as the cinnamon and cloves kick in and then finishes with more citrus with a touch of wheat. It would be good if not for it's muted character.

Mouthfeel: The aftertaste of the beer is quite pleasant, for what you get out of it. The carbonation for this beer is good, and it finishes very smoothly. The beer transitions well but as stated earlier, it leaves you a bit too refreshed and too moist as you are drinking it. That and there is a severe lack of impact with the spices for a witbier.

Drinkability: I'm a bit conflicted on this one, as on one side the beer is incredibly refreshing, goes down like water and it is very light on the stomach. I could drink this all night, with ease. However, on the other hand, the beer goes down like water and tastes like I'm drinking an citrus cooler with wheat and spice added to it, not a beer. This leaves me not wanting to drink it all night. I suppose the merits outweigh the flaws though.

Final Thoughts: Honestly, it feels like the people who made this stuff knew how to make a good witbier and did so, and then watered it down and removed a lot of the spice to cut costs. I'm almost completely sure that is what happened here, given InBev (owner of Keith's) also brews probably the most well know witbier around in Hoegaarden. I'm also pretty sure this beer only exists to try to cash in on recent success Rickard's White, but I can't blame them for that, as money makes the world go round.

Now that I'm done talking about the politics of this beer, let me finish on note regarding the beer itself. This beer isn't bad, but it isn't that good either. It's watered down, which ruins what it could be, and I honestly feel if you concentrated it a bit more it would be great. This doesn't change the fact that this beer tastes watered down and lacking in flavor. It's a run of the mill macro beer, that is meant to be guzzled down for a cheap price. This beer would be incredibly great after a long sweaty day of work, but not much else. It would serve as a good, tame introduction to the style but I would advise anyone trying this that there are many better, more flavorful witbier's out there.

04-12-2009 04:57:56 | More by TheHammer