Alexander Keith's Premium White - Alexander Keith's

Nova Scotia, Canada

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shadman on 03-25-2009

4.7/5  rDev +67.3%

This is the best beer I have had in a long time. I like a sure bet. The taste of this beer is well researched. It is fancy with its seville orange flavour, yet it does not have a bitter aftertaste. It has a full aroma and taste without being heavy and filling. I haven't bought anything else since I first tried it a month ago. I find there is something mysterious about it.
Tank you Keith, I like the way you think!

3.7/5  rDev +31.7%

A few years ago, I went on a beer run and brought a 12 pack of these for a group of girls. Now, I've always had a certain amount of hate for Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale but tried one of these and was very glad I did. Before this, I didn't really care for wheat beers and this completely changed that. I can now say that thanks to Keith's I can enjoy every style of beer... which is kind of surprising.

So, a part from a couple glasses of water this is the first thing in me on this 5th day of the 2010 Montreal heatwave. Just noticed: 200th review. Not the best for the occasion but whatever.

A- Hazy golden. 2 centimeter white head looks like a sligoing onin here.htly creamier version of one you'd find on an aggresively poured macro lager. A lot of carbonation bubbles g

S- Clove and some other citrusy spice I can't put my finger on... probably just orange peel. Something milky in the back. Apple juice. All in all, not the best witbier smell but it is enjoyable. A bit of kiwi I think. A little caramel at room temp.

T- Alcohol from start to finish. The rest is like a diluted witbier without it actually tasting like water. Kind of has that chemical nastiness and bitterness which is so present in the India Pale Ale and many other macros but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much here. Don't really know what to say other than it's bland but that very blandness is what eased me into the styles. Getting some peach now that it's warmer.

M- High carbonation starts off prickly but smooths right out. Full mouthfeel. Dry finish.

D- Very good. Smooth refreshing and not foul enough to turn me off. I'd drink a whole bunch ifI didn't have anything better.

I think... not sure I'd have to compare side by side, but I think I like this better than Hoegaarden. So I consider this a good cheap witbier fix. I'm surpised myself by this statement.

3.57/5  rDev +27%

12oz bottle into imperial pint glass.

A: A haze lemon, yellow body. A head that settles as a thin white layer. No lace.

S: Clove is the predominate flavor in this aroma profile.

T/M: A bland witbier, but a nice and drinkable taste. The flavors do do justice to the style, so for Alexander Keith's beers on what I have heard the styles have not been spot on. This one does do justice to a witbier, so not the best but mmm tasty on a 90 degree night.

D: Good taste, but not the best. I could drink these in session, so I guess this beer is on the solid drinkable side.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Fairly cloudy once the last bits in the can get out - it seems to have settled some. Head is a fizzy white with some decent heft actually. Soft nose, some orange, banana and cloves, some faint butter and caramel as well. Dry and lightly bitter. Some citrus and spice flavour and a quickly dissipating aftertaste. Little bit of yeastiness. Impressively substantial body for a... much maligned brewery, but still too fizzy. Overall, I think this one has hit the main points but this isn't close to my favorite wit. Still, it'll do in a pinch.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Im sure this was brewed to Alexander Keith's very own Hoegaarden clone recipe from 1821. Contains 'citrus' rather than orange peel. Strange.

It pours a cloudy staw gold color with a foamy, shortlived head than manages to muster up a good amount of lace. The aroma is light with a sweet coriander, bubblegum and malt dough. The taste is robustly malty with a pleasant phenolic yeast character and some coriander. Where it falls flat is in the sweet citrus department. Most Witbiers attain a certain aromatic dryness from the addition of bitter orange peel, in this, citrus is lost in the mix. The mouthfeel fullish with a nice, full carbonation. The finish is sweet and phenolic.

I was very skeptical of this offering when I saw it at the LCBO, just a low quality mass market brewery capitalizing on a 'specialty' beer trend. After trying it, I can say it surpassed my expectations. It's not as good as Hoegaarden, but its still quite quaffable.

3.36/5  rDev +19.6%

Ok, bought this one as a deal. 2 cans for 4$.

The beer is yellow color and hazy. There is some orange notes in the color too. Nice looking beer. The head is cloudy looking but disappear quickly. Aroma is fruity but low notes of spices. Average aroma, it would gain at being more smelly :). On the taste, the beer is more intense. Fruity (citrus). No bitterness. Refreshing. This is good for summer day. Cheap refreshing beer. Not at all of sipping. Drinkability is high.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Purchased sampler pack while on a hockey trip in Canada.

Appearance - Golden in color and slightly cloudy

Smell - Spice and subtle hint of citrus

Taste - Spice and citrus flavors are faint. Wheat is most prominent. Flavors not as robust as other Witbiers.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and somewhat watery

Drinkability - Not a bad beer. Would not hesitate to choose this beer again if another favorite was not available.

Serving Type: Bottle

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Swirl poured into a glass beaker. A hazy apricot with a two finger white head diminishes to a ring. Strong fine lacing. Smells of cloves up front. Faint citrus notes. Taste is subdued. Tangy bread flavours. Slightly sour malty aftertaste. A mildly bitter tang at the end. Mouthfeel is medium body, nicely carbonated. Drinkabiity is good except the sour notes might get old after a while. Not a bad Wit from a major.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

A - poured a two finger fluffy white head with decent retention, patchy lacing, cloudy wheat orange colour.

Smell is wheat and citrus - orange peel

Taste follows the nose with some lemon zest, pepper and coriander - a little bit artificial tasting.

Mouth is light to medium bodied, pretty smooth, little bitterness.

Overall,this is a drinkable wheat that is cheap and readily available. Again, this would be a B if it wasn't a macro. Definitely worth grabbing at the patio of a bar only serving macro brews.

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: dark-brownish gold, medium head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: orange, lemon, cardamom

Taste: orange, lemon, cardamom, cream, and wheat

Mouthfeel: creamy, sweet, medium carbonation, medium body, very smooth-borderline watery

Drinkability: Very average for a witbier, but very drinkable for a beer period. I could have several. I can really taste the orange and the lemon. I think my grade would be a solid B if I was grading regardless of style, but a bit lower as a witbier.

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

Had this on tap the other night at Barny's patio in London, and to me it was remarkably better than it was from the can I tried a few months ago.

The texture of the beer really improved on tap, and as the beer warmed the flavours became less subtle. The soapy cilantro/coriander taste that to me was all too strong from the can seemed mellowed and the beer was much more drinkable because of the relative improvements in mouthfeel and taste.

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

473ml can poured into pint glass.

A - Somewhat cloudy golden yellow color but the white head disappeared rather quickly.

S - Citrus fruits, some spice, faint aroma of grains.

T - Noticeable tangy taste from the citrus flavors. Spices are not as prominent as other witbiers I've had. And a little hop bitterness at the end.The balance seems just a bit too fruity and just not enough spice.

M - Average carbonation. Texture has some creaminess to it due to being unfiltered.

D - Certainly quite drinkable as is goes down pretty easy yet this beer has just enough flavor to satisfy my palate without overpowering it.

Keith's interpretation of a witbier is pretty decent. It's one of my go to brews for something refreshing but there are better ones out there.

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

341 ml bottle.

A- Cloudy pale gold. Big bubbles rising to a small (0.5 inch) head that decreases rapidly.

S- Macro beer with a touch of wheat sourness when sniffed in the bottle. Touch of yeast and citrus noticeable in the glass.

T- A little bland. Watered down wit. Yeast and wheat is present btu faint on the citrus. Bitter finish. A little vegetable flavour as it warms.

MF- Crisp and refreshing.

D- Easy drinker. Not a great witbier, but better than anything else from Keith's.

Alexander Keith's Premium White from Alexander Keith's