Follow our progress ...

3.3

Alexander Keith's Hallertauer Hop AleAlexander Keith's Hallertauer Hop Ale

Alexander Keith's
Nova Scotia, Canada | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by wordemupg on 03-29-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 110
3.56/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

341ml bottle, procured from the singles bin of the local chain liquor store. 'Bout right, I suppose.

This beer pours a clear, bright copper amber colour, with two fingers of puffy, thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves a few random splatters of sudsy lace around the glass as it duly recedes.

It smells of grainy, almost biscuity malt, a bit of over-steeped green tea, and mildly spicy, herbal hops. That's right, I said it - hops! On the nose! Moving on, the taste is more cereal-like grainy pale malt, a very mild, indistinct citrus juiciness, incongruously strong herbal tea, and a weak, lagging earthy spiciness.

The carbonation is fairly laid-back, the body medium-light in weight, and mostly smooth, but for - wait for it - slightly zingy noble hops. It finishes off-dry, the malt sinking into its breadiness, and the hops holding their newborn ground.

Well colour me a little impressed - an ale from this so-called storied brewer that actually tastes like one, and somewhat hoppy to boot! My only quibble is in its classification - this has much more to liken it to an understated English pale ale, than to the upfront, assertive American version. Which is no big deal - I'd drink this again, when I wanted something simple, but not too simple, y'know?

2.77/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Orange colour, no head, clear.

S: Some alcohol, corn, hint of grass, vegital.

T: Where did the flavour go. Hop flavours are low, malt is low. Bitterness is very low. Again, Keiths makes an ale that resembles more like a lager.

M: Good carbonation, thin body, low bitterness.

O: Fail!

3.54/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 28/3/13

A clear light copper with decent carbonation but just a short lived film for head and no lace

S much to my surprise there's some hop character with a little orange peel, bready malt, dry cereal and herbal tea bag, not great but way better then expected

T what I smell but more citric rind, a little hay I didn't smell, not a whole lot going on but I'm just amazed that its a respectable brew from Keith's

M lighter side of medium bodied, not quite creamy but not foam or flat either, a little lemon rind on the finish and just a little grit left behind

O its a basic beer but from a macro producer I'm quite impressed, almost baffled really. There's some hops and I can actually taste and smell them, not what I expect from Keith's

I'm not saying that this brews going to change your life by any means but it might change your opinion of macros. I was expecting a drain pour but its a respectable brew at the end of the day, that being said I'd never buy it but I happily drank this bottle.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last