1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

The Wise ESB - Elysian Brewing Company

The Wise ESBThe Wise ESB

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Wise ESB Alström Bros

DbbC, Sep 08, 2014

KAF, Jul 05, 2014

wrightst, Jun 28, 2014

BrewtalHonesty, Jun 26, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

I had this on tap at Mcgivney's in Juneau.
It was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy burnt orange to slightly ruddy brown color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. There was some light lacing sticking and then sliding down the glass.
The smell had some nutty malts with a subdued bready toffee and caramel malts.
The taste was mainly the same.
The mouthfeel was somewhat heavier than I expected but nothing wrong or overbearing. It left a dry smooth maltiness in the aftertaste and finish.
Overall, pretty good ESB that I would have again.

SitkaSteve, Jun 04, 2014

Rand_ale_Thor, Jul 11, 2013

redleg411, Jun 28, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

OK, so we are in Seattle and figured that since we were here, we would hit up some breweries. We started with Redhook, a staple to the state of Washington. I didn’t realize they were owned by Anheuser-Busch, but that isn’t obvious when walking around the brewery. Sheryl had actually been here before, and wanted me to take the tour. It’s only $1, but you get to try several of their beers. Basically two pints of beer, plus the tour that lasted well over an hour. Needless to say, it was worth the buck.

After the tour we headed down to the bar and tried a few new ciders they had on tap. We left there and headed to Black Raven Brewing Company. This is a small operation in Redmond, and I was VERY impressed with their beers. They had a wide selection and even had two beers aged in wine barrels from local wineries. Chateau St. Michelle is actually not far from there. As a matter of fact, the winery is right across the street from Redhook. Anyway, my favorite was their barrel aged scotch ale. Not quite as good as Kilt Lifter, but still a delicious experience.

Today we decided to see Elysian, a brewery that has a few beers on our list. There are actually 3 beers from them on the list including The Wise ESB, the Avatar Jasmine IPA, and the Dragonstooth Stout. When we got to the brewery, located in a hipster part of town, we parked out back and walked in. I saw all three beers on tap, and a fridge full of bottles beside the bar. We sat down, met the bartender and the manager, and started talking about the beers. So… they still brew the ESB, as it is one of their most popular beers. However, they no longer bottle it and haven’t for over a year. So what did we decide? To review it anyway! We are here, won’t be able to get the beer in a bottle, and decided to just review it anyway. This is the FIRST beer we have reviewed like this, and might just open a door to new possibilities for our blog. Lets drink! First up is The Wise ESB.

In the Glass: People know Redhook for their ESB, a recipe that changes with the season. Not sure this one changes, but the Black Raven ESB was amazing. This beer looks like a traditional ESB but is producing quite a bit of lace. The lace is the most noticeable thing for me thus far.

Aroma: It smells like an ESB, but with a hint more spice than I expected. I hope that carries over into the flavor on this one. I am sick of looking at this beer. Let’s drink!

Flavor: (I will have to sip on this as we are splitting a single sample… But there is enough left in the glass to satisfy.) Just like the aroma, I get some of those subtle spices on the palate. This is, by far, the most bitter ESB I have ever tried. Not saying that’s a bad thing… I like bitter beers. I AM a hop head, after all. This is definitely the best, most flavorful ESB I’ve ever had.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin, but I’m drinking this a bit warmer than I wanted. For the Dragonstooth, that’s OK. However, comparing it to the Redhook ESB, this is a much better experience. I had enough for a second sip, and swished this one around my mouth a little. Those spices just opened up even more doing that.

Aftertaste: I didn’t expect all the buttress from the flavor, and I sure didn’t think the finish would last as long as it does. The finish is a drying hoppy flavor that just sits and settles and dries as I swallow. A good 5 minute finish.

I’m not sure if this beer tastes better because we are reviewing it from the brewery, but I like it. I also like that the manager introduced herself to us and keeps telling us stories about their beers. She’s fun. This brewery is fun. This beer… Is fun! I hope the next two are as good as this one. Cheers!

rickyleepotts, Jun 13, 2013