Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout - Elysian Brewing Company

Dragonstooth Oatmeal StoutDragonstooth Oatmeal Stout

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

The stout poured a nice thick dark dark brown in color with no foam. The smell of roasted malts and chocolate filled my nose. But the taste of all the components in this stout was great. You can taste the roasted malts that had chocolate, with a hint of coffee. Not overly sweet and not overly bitter either. Nice balance of all the components when put together! A very nice surprise and a wonder experience in a great stout!

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz into a snifter. Pours a brownish black w/ a 1-finger mocha head that settles to a thin collar and film.

Aroma is chocolatey, roasty, bitter, and clean.

Taste follows nose. Good blend of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee

Mouthfeel is perfectly smooth with a clean dry finish.

Overall a simple, straightforward, well-built stout.

4.19/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My first Elysian beer so far, here goes.

Pours out a deep black that no light can penetrate. solid head that leaves some lacing and bubbles after 5 min. Looks like a winner to me.

Smell is right away bitter cocoa and coffee. Others are maybe some tobacco and leather, and some raisin.

Taste is very nice with a generous dose of chocolate flavors, along with an astringent roasty quality that sits well with me. Coconut and coffee hints are there, as well as perhaps some caramel and oatmeal. This oatmeal stout is creamy and luscious with just a hint of the oats to keep it a decadent and sessionable roasty stout with just a touch of sweetness.

Feel is medium carbed, with a semi slick feel, and a generous warming from it's high abv single stout status.

This is alot better than samuel smith oatmeal stout, just what I think.

4.19/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Scored this via Let's Pour. Inky black with a densely packed and well-retaining dark tan head. Chocolate, molasses, and coffee all intrigue the nose. Big roasty malt complexity also includes some smoke and burnt toast. Black licorice, smoky, dark toast, and espresso all making their presence known all the palette. Bitterness is medium-high. Hop flavors seem secondary here though perhaps a bit earthy. Medium-full in body, slight creaminess is notable and pleasant. Carbonation seems appropriate for the style and is moderate/moderate-low. Overall this is a rich, roasty beer with deeply hued dark malt bill atop a luxurious lush silky body. Well done.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Coming in a 650ml bomber brown bottle, bottle-conditioned; production date 15/02/2013, served gently chilled in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: pours a black hue, coming with a dark khaki foamy head retreating slowly to a thin cap, while the carbonation level is pretty low.
S: rich, oily and deeply chocolaty, roast/black malts balanced by equally robust and lively hop aroma as of citrus-rich hop varieties. The second layer consists of jammy black dates, oily nuts, and creamy treacle-flavoured fudge. Overall, the aroma is rich but definitely not overwhelming, delivering a really decent and deep impact on the nose.
T: light-bodied on the entry, the foretaste is initially aromatically citric hoppy, bitter-sweet nutty, bitter chocolaty, roasty-malty at the same time, ensued by a burned-walnut (on skins) aroma, a good acidity, a decent level of fruity hoppiness & bitterness and a dry-ish palate lasting towards the chewy, aromatically roast-malt and hoppy finish. Oatmeal? Can’t say if there is or isn’t, but the smooth texture alongside the light-ish body does make me wonder that oatmeal is used in the brew.
M&O: softly carbonated on the mouthfeel, the body remains medium against a rather rich but not heavy flavour profile; this “Imperial Oatmeal Stout”, to me, is a lovely twist of the older concept of rich and oily export stout that benefits from good craftsmanship and skilful manipulation of aromatic American hops. Absolutely lovely…!!

From notes taken on 9/1/08

Appearance- Pours a light black, if such a thing exists. I see just a tiny bit of light working its way into this beer, keeping it from being jet black, but maybe I'm just seeing things. The head is a shade over 2 fingers of dense, shiny bubbles. The cappuccino head sparkles and tempts you to come and play while you wait for the head to slowly recede into a cream and caramel skim on the top. Very good lacing keeps track of my sips.

Smell- BITTER chocolate up the ass, or the nose I guess, and dark caramel with vanilla following along with a faint smell of day old, dark roast coffee. Then there's the hops. Citrus hops pairing very well with the heavy bitter chocolate. I love this in an Imperial Stout. A lot going on in the nose, very nice.

Taste- Following the smells lead, you are beaten over the head with roasted and burnt malts, and bitter chocolate that goes on for days. What's impressive about this stout is all the shit that is going on underneath the onslaught of bitter malts and chocolate. The citrus hops take a back seat, but only by a small margin and speak up plenty along the ride. The vanilla and dark caramel stay low key but you are aware of their presence. Then there are hints of molasses and toffee, along with other complexities that make this beer a thinker. Very complex, and very tasty.

Mouthfeel- Rich and full-bodied. There is enough carbonation to keep it from being too thick, but it is low enough to remind me of fruity-chocolate syrup. This beer will coat your mouth and stay awhile.

Drinkability- I'm between scores on the drinkability because of the complexity. This beer is a prime example (much like Samuel Smith's IS) that an Imperial Stout doesn't have to be loaded with alcohol to be great. I took my sweet time enjoying this beer trying to pick out every flavor and let it coat the mouth. However, after I was done with the bomber, I was ready to move on to something on the lighter side. Give it a try!

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to SuzyGreenberg for this extra.

This bottle is better than I had remembered dragonstooth. Pours jet black with a nice one finger tan/brown head. The head dissipates quickly with a bit of lace. The nose has some alcohol tones but is mostly of bitter chocolate. The first taste is much richer and more chocolaty than i had expected. Great dark chocolate and mocha type flavors. The finish has some alcohol with a little hoppy bite. This is an interesting brew, and more complex than i had expected. At 7.4 it is slightly on the weak side for an imperial, but is thick and chewy like one, with the finish and smoothness of an oatmeal stout. I like it. I think it is an interesting beer. Unusually refreshing and drinkable for a stout of its kind. A solid beer, nothing incredibly extraordinary, but a solid brew.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Picked up a bomber to try...

- Really dark viscous stout... rich solid black/brown, mild finger of head, rich mocha colored... down to some minor spotting... looks delicious.

- Nice sweet chocolate... slight bitterness... and a touch of rubbing alcohol booziness.. some grains, oatmeal.. etc,.

- Smooth and creamy chocolate goodness.. superior balance, and perfect touch of sweetness. Thank god the taste doesn't mimic the scent too much. Nice light bittering hop, grains, oats..

- Medium to heavy bodied... rather thick and viscous, but not too cloying and rich to boot. rather smooth sailing... a fantastic and unique feel.

- Overall this is a fantastic stout, and and quite pleased with it.. one I would certainly purchase again. Smooth, not too sweet, and tasty!

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Aroma: Faint floral and earthy hops. Sweet and deeply roasted malts. Very faint sour notes. Licorice.

Appearance: Blackish-brown body with a compressed, relatively, tan head.

Flavor: Bitter-sweet roasted notes. Coffee. Smooth malt hop balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy body. Seems clean and light on the mouth. Gently lingers after each sip.

Overall: Complex well balanced and easily drinkable. Nice roast malt and bitter hop balance.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a rich, chocolatey scent with a dry, coffee-like earthiness as well. The taste is good. It has a smooth black and chocolate malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry with an earthy feel. It's only slightly warming in the finish. The chocolate malts really make the flavor with this one. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a trendous beer. It's rich with malt complexity and has a lovely mouthfeel.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Purchased bomber in PDX, tasted in Cali.

A - Pours black with a 2 fingered chocolate head. Dissipates slow and leaves nice lacing. Good head retention.

S - Chocolate, leather, light roast coffee, and bittering hops.

T - Hearty roast coffee, light leather, light biittering hops, and lightly smoky. Very roasty and bitter.

M - Full bodied, and well-balanced, maybe slightly hoppier than malty. Finishes very dry, but surprisingly smooth leaving you thirsty for more. I can't stop drinking it. What is wrong with me?

D - Good drinkability. Leaves you thirsty for more. I can't explain it, and my beer is just sitting here waiting to be drank.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Chilled bomber into a glass, courtesy of ramnuts / end 0))). Thank you!

A: Pours a completely opaque black with slight light penetration at the edges, giving some shades of ruby and orange. Has a generous 1.5" mocha head that recedes in a couple of minutes into a mottled film on top of the brew. Leaves some nice lacing down the glass.

S: Heavy on the chocolate and roasted malt, with lighter coffee elements. I detect some barley and smoke as well.

T: Sweet throughout. The entire taste is an alternation between chocolate and roasted malt, with only lighter elements of coffee underneath. The aftertaste is all coffee bitters and dark chocolate. I am not a big fan of coffee flavors, so I appreciate the profile here.

M: Medium-to-full bodied, and it's offset a little bit by slightly-too-high carbonation. Doesn't really serve the style well; I prefer it a little flatter and creamier. But the ABV is well-masked and the taste isn't too sticky.

D: It's too bad ramnuts is just gifting me these and I can't evaluate value here. Thanks again buddy. Anyway, I really like the flavor of this one, but all things considered, I'd probably pick something else as my go-to stout, unless this has an attractive price (below $5 or so).

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to my wife for repeatedly asking me if I was going to buy this! :)

I really like this; though, in my opinion, it sort of comes off as a standard stout with some definite attributes of an American double stout. Not heavy or rich enough to be an Russian Imperial Stout. At 7.4%, the ABV is low for an RIS, and bordering on the low side for an American double.

Nice, black body with rich, khaki head. Impeneratble darkness...held up to the light, there are only the faintest hints of ruby.

Rich, burnt malt taste with a strong hop profile. Dark roast coffee, and rich, dark chocolate come across in the flavour profile. Slightly bitter, dry and full flavour. Much more complex and full than any standard stout could offer.

Good mouthfeel for the style. Carbonation there, but not overly done. Its noticeable, but doesn't demand attention. Nice and easy to drink, but I think it may benefit from being served colder (chilled in a mini fridge for just under 3 hours, so it wasn't completely cold).

Very good...I'd like to get some more.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Freaky label gets style points. Poured into a crystal mug, drank with a straw.

Thick, gooey pour of black oil, a small foamy head of tan head will pop up if you pour aggressively. A big whack of chocolate malts hits the nose, then a solid quaff of the big three: coffee, burnt toast and chocolate. Excellent.

Starts thick, thins by mid-bomber, but still a very quaffable brew. If you dig stouts, be sure to sample one or two bottles of this goodie.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

OK, here we go. Time to drink a bottle “on the road”. Sheryl and I have been chatting about reviewing some additional beers not on the list. We are going to call it them the “off the wall” reviews. Get it?

This bottle is on the list, and I love that they work with a local tattoo artist on the label art. The dragon, bearing large white ferocious teeth, looks like a tattoo… Makes sense! Considering this is an imperial stout, I expected the ABV to be a bit higher. Considering how much we are going to drink today, it’s probably OK it’s below 8%. Let’s pop this bottle and drink!

In the Glass: This beer pours somewhat thick, but I’m sure that is because of how cold it is in the bottle. It is pitch black, offering a thin tin head that reminds me of an Irish stout. I doubt this has the same metallic taste most Irish stouts do. Not much lace, but that’s not always a bad thing.

Aroma: That smells like a good oatmeal stout… BUT way more aggressive. The malts are nearly overpowering as I smell and a second deep huff leaves me thinking of whiskey and a hint, a subtle hint of coffee. I hope that carries over on the palate. Let’s drink!

Flavor: That’s good. I don’t get the same barrel aged flavors that I was expecting… But this beer isn’t barrel aged. I bet 6 months in a barrel would help mellow this out nicely. It is also a tad bit too cold, but I say that a lot. I wish there was a universal beer temperature contraption that allowed me to choose the temperature at which I consume.

Mouthfeel: The front of my palate is bored to tears, but the back half, when a thin layer of bubbles attacks, I am hit with that drying sensation I was hoping for.

I will say, as this beer heats up, it does get a little better and open up nicely.

Aftertaste: As the beer heats up, the aftertaste is becoming more prominent. It sort of sits there, almost soaking my palate, in that frothy goodness. I still think they should age this in something. Maybe try a keg or two on nitro.

Sheryl just said she was impressed with the aftertaste, too. She’s not supposed to talk to me about these beers… BUT I will let it slide. (Note from Sheryl: What?? That was never a rule!) We only have one more beer to review from them, but I plan on ordering a flight when I’m done with that. They have a blood orange pale ale called Superfuzz, a double IPA called DIPROHOPUS, and a red called Men’s Room Red. I want to try them all! I’m only a few bottles in, and I’m impressed!

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

I bought a bomber of Dragonstooth stout at a grocery store. Poured in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a coal black color, opaque, with a one-finger mocha colored head. The head is rich, with a two tone appearance, with darker brown swirls against the lighter brown foam.

The smell is a powerful rich, dark chocolate aroma, with a roasted smoke presence.

The taste is similar to the smell, a bitter coffee and unsweetened chocolate flavor. There is a hint of alcohol heat on the finish, with a lingering bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is smooth, rich and full bodied. Very little carbonation, with a thick silky feel.

Hard to improve on the drinkability of this one. It is very drinkable for a 7+ ABV brew. The alcohol is masked nicely, the bitterness is not overpowering. A very drinkable stout indeed.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

A: This pours heavy, dense, and dark. The head is a foaming burnt walnut and caramel brown coloring. The lacing is impressive and leaves the same tinted frosted burgundy and mocha hue all draped up and down the glass.

S: Roasted smoked coffee and toasted dark chocolate hit the nose immediately. Just the slightest dark grape hop tinge that is perfectly wrestled down by the coffee and hefty malt aromas. Hints of cemented vanilla aroma blasted with brown sugar.

T: Great chocolate malt taste with a subtle coffee and minimal cinnamon undertones at the outset. Overall the taste is very layered and thick. A fire roasted quality that makes this warm and filling like oats and custard. Much like the nose there is a very minimal hop presence that does nothing but help couple with the sturdy and massive malts. Slightly dry and bitter but the dark chocolate taste is the highlight here.

M: Despite it having some velvety and rich qualities it is still just a tad thin.

D: This exceeded my initial expectations. I would have liked to see it increased a couple percentage points on the ABV but regardless this drinks like a nice dessert. I can see myself picking this up quite regularly through the fall and winter.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

22oz bottle from a trip to Seattle. This is almost a year old. This beer is one of the best in that city, and I enjoyed it at two Elysian locations. I feel like I took a little piece of the city back home with me.

Poured into an open mouthed glass. Black with tan head. Looks great, nothing exceptional, but a solid stout.

Smell is OK. Roasted malt leaves coffee and chocolate impressions. But the smell is muted, not very expressive, even under agitation. Mild traces of molasses and some alcohol too.

Taste is exceptional. All the elements missing from the nose are there in the mouth! Roasted bitterness, chocolate, coffee, some pretty noticeable bitter hop and some mild bracing alcohol combine to make one hugely enjoyable beer. This is great stuff.

Mouthfeel is another strong point. Heavy and smooth with creamy carb. Really nice!

Drinkability is also good. I enjoyed reminiscing of my trip with this souvenir. Great job Elysian!

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours super black especially considering this is a "regular" stout. A massive 2 fingers of coffee colored head. Good lacing. BA says it is an imperial though.

S: Really nice nose. Big roasted blast right up front. Over roasted coffee after that.Only the faintest hint of chocolate but it is there.

T: Initial blast of chocolate mixed with roasted coffee. Much more of a hop bite than I thought this would have. I even cellared this for about 3 months. Tons of malt as well. Finishes with that nice heavy and lingering malt.

M: Prickly carbonation. With the big taste I want this to be a little thicker. I feel I always say that about stouts though.

D: A nice sipper. Well balanced with all the elements you want in a stout. The lack of body makes it easier drinking. Would love to try this on tap.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured black in color with a frothy tan head covering the top of it. The head faded but left some very nice lacing as it did.

The aroma shows a good amount of hoppiness to it with some citrus notes playing a big role in it. The oats also really come through and give it a creamy, smooth quality. Some bitter-sweet chocolate and roasty flavors round out the flavors in the nose. nice, smooth and flavorful aroma overall.

The taste has a very nice mix of flavors to it. As the nose suggested I get a good dose of citrusy hops to it. I get some chocolate to it up front as well. The oats start to come out more towards the finish with some bitter-sweet, roasty and coffee like flavors.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being moderate for the style. Overall it was a very good beer. I usually don't a lot of hoppiness in my stouts, but this one managed to really integrate the flavors nicely. The juicy citrus really meshed with the smooth oats for me. The bitter-sweet chocolate and roasty, bitter, coffee flavors were an added bonus. Delicious beer overall.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Sample at the Pike Street location. Pours black with a medium dark beige head that dissipates steadily. Patchy lacing on the glass. The aroma contains chocolate, malt, anise and coffee. Rich and smooth body with flavors of chocolate and roasted coffee, plus some hops and spices. The finish is roasty with a chocolate and espresso flavor that lingers awhile. Very enjoyable from start to finish.

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pitch black with a one-finger mocha colored head
S: Chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, oatmeal, toasted nuts
T: Matches the nose, very complex. Adds a bit of charred meat on the midpalate and hops on the finish
M: Medium-bodied, a nice dried roasted grain feel, balanced
O: Complex, tastes very toasted. I like that the oatmeal comes distinctly through which it doesn't often for the style

Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout from Elysian Brewing Company