Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout - Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Elysian Brewing's Dragonstooth Oatmeal Stout pours what a nice stout should pour, that is, a deep, deep black with a thick tan head. Lacing and retention are both top notch.

Dragonstooth has a powerful aroma of sweet, roasted malts with coffee and chocolate. There might be a touch of hops in there, but if there is, it's pretty well-hidden.

The taste starts off nice and creamy, with notes of chocolate up front. This is followed by a nice, roasted, bitter coffee flavor, which stays on the tongue for a while.

Dragonstooth is full-bodied, creamy and chewy, with medium-low carbonation.

This is a great example of a thick and powerful stout.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Pour is black with burnt edges and a coffee colored tight head. Nose is light, charred malt, faint milk chocolate, and a hint of roasted coffee. Taste is a hint brighter, charred malt, light chocolate and coffee. Medium to light body with soft carbonation and a fairly dry finish.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Is this a stout? Yes it is, and boy is it one. I can't think of any other way to put it. Poured it into a pint glass and was rewarded with a rich cola-colored head, a rich dark brown body, and the dark roasted malt characteristics of a stout. By itself, a wonderful drink, and just as well made for a good black-and-tan, if that's your taste.

4.15/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

OK, here we go. Time to drink a bottle “on the road”. Sheryl and I have been chatting about reviewing some additional beers not on the list. We are going to call it them the “off the wall” reviews. Get it?

This bottle is on the list, and I love that they work with a local tattoo artist on the label art. The dragon, bearing large white ferocious teeth, looks like a tattoo… Makes sense! Considering this is an imperial stout, I expected the ABV to be a bit higher. Considering how much we are going to drink today, it’s probably OK it’s below 8%. Let’s pop this bottle and drink!

In the Glass: This beer pours somewhat thick, but I’m sure that is because of how cold it is in the bottle. It is pitch black, offering a thin tin head that reminds me of an Irish stout. I doubt this has the same metallic taste most Irish stouts do. Not much lace, but that’s not always a bad thing.

Aroma: That smells like a good oatmeal stout… BUT way more aggressive. The malts are nearly overpowering as I smell and a second deep huff leaves me thinking of whiskey and a hint, a subtle hint of coffee. I hope that carries over on the palate. Let’s drink!

Flavor: That’s good. I don’t get the same barrel aged flavors that I was expecting… But this beer isn’t barrel aged. I bet 6 months in a barrel would help mellow this out nicely. It is also a tad bit too cold, but I say that a lot. I wish there was a universal beer temperature contraption that allowed me to choose the temperature at which I consume.

Mouthfeel: The front of my palate is bored to tears, but the back half, when a thin layer of bubbles attacks, I am hit with that drying sensation I was hoping for.

I will say, as this beer heats up, it does get a little better and open up nicely.

Aftertaste: As the beer heats up, the aftertaste is becoming more prominent. It sort of sits there, almost soaking my palate, in that frothy goodness. I still think they should age this in something. Maybe try a keg or two on nitro.

Sheryl just said she was impressed with the aftertaste, too. She’s not supposed to talk to me about these beers… BUT I will let it slide. (Note from Sheryl: What?? That was never a rule!) We only have one more beer to review from them, but I plan on ordering a flight when I’m done with that. They have a blood orange pale ale called Superfuzz, a double IPA called DIPROHOPUS, and a red called Men’s Room Red. I want to try them all! I’m only a few bottles in, and I’m impressed!

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%