Loki Lager - Elysian Brewing Company

Loki LagerLoki Lager

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2004)

avaldivia, Mar 30, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

From notes.

Consumed on-tap at the Elk in Spokane for $4.25 (I think).

A slightly dark shade of straw in color, with a bone-white head. Rings of foam were left on the sides of the glass.

Malts and light floral hops were in the nose, along with a slightly lemony scent.

Like in the nose, this is a well-balanced beer of mildly sweet malts and grassy hops. The lemony scent noted above is also present in the background of the flavor, with a very mild hop zap at the swallow. Not a flavor bomb, but it's not supposed to be.

Light bodied, with a slightly effervescent mouthfeel. Just right for the style.

An excellent lager for sessioning, though the abv is perhaps pushing the outside of that particular envelope. If I'd been outside on a hot day, I could see myself having several. I've never seen this bottled aropund here, but if I were to, this could easily become my choice for BBQs and the like.

woemad, Mar 07, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: clear light orange color with yellow highlights. 2" head leaves some thick lacing on the glass. Lots of visible carbonation bubbles.

Smell: some malts and lemon zest.

Taste: nice maltiness, combined with soft grass, lemon, and a mellow bitterness.

Mouthfeel: light-medium bodied. Very crisp at the start through to the clean finish.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable and a good lighter beer for those who are not overly adventurous but want something with a nice flavor.

Gavage, Jul 12, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours out a perfectly clear, somewhat amber-colored beer with a medium stream of bubbles rising.

Lime peel, slight acid and chemical in the nose - A bit beefier than most macro style lagers, I'm surprised to find it categorized as one. Nothing on the website says that this is brewed with anything other than that allowed by the R-gebot.

The taste, however, is rather good. It's full, creamy, just a little snappy, mostly malt and just the slightest bittering of hops - they're hardly noticeable, but it's certainly not overly malty, so they're doing their job.

Smooth, creamy, soft in the mouth, with a neutral finish.

Overall, I'd recommend it - I think this beer would be better than Sam Adams Boston Lager if enjoyed from the bottle during a party. That should be it's natural setting for consumption. As an enjoying lager, it's okay, but not great.

Tupperwolf, Apr 20, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer is named for one of my favorite characters from the Norse pantheon, a mischievous shape-shifter and prankster to the gods. Perhaps it is fitting then that Loki shifts away from the common parameters of the lager style. It is full yellow-gold with enthused carbonation, a snappy white head, and jazzy lace. The taste probably has more yeast elements than it wants to and the word “clean” just isn’t coming to mind. I taste wind swept grains capped by a masculine bitter finish.

I was puzzled by yeast sediments in the bottle and the lack of clarity in the body. This, together with its gruff, edgy flavor, makes me wonder if Loki could have stood some more time in the lagering tanks. It just doesn’t seem to have cleaned up properly and the smell is somewhat compromised.

Still, I happen to enjoy the rawness of this beer. You might say it has chutzpah. It’s almost an angry brew – good to have along if you’re in the mood for it.

RedDiamond, Dec 04, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -8%

Light hop aroma, some malt. Mostly neutral and clean.

Golden and clear. Big think head, lots of rising carb and lace around the glass.

Nice bitter flavor. Some malt washes away th hops. Nice light and refreshing flavor.

Medium bodied, pleasant as a session beer. Just hoppy enough to not be boring.

czechsaaz, Sep 29, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance – This one poured a clear but heavy orange in color with a big white head that showed retention for days. It laced the heck out of my Great Lakes glass.

Smell – This is light, slightly fruity grain with a heavy does of PacNW hops. This is a big ‘un.

Taste – Man, is this a big lager. The hop flavors come out huge at the taste, and even the grain is ‘roided out.

Mouthfeel – This is on the big side of medium-bodied with some big bitter hoppy dryness throughout.

Drinkability – Well, it sure as heck doesn’t taste like any lager that I’ve ever had before. It is actually pretty good all things considered, but truth be told it is definitely off-style. The BJCP actually states that “strong flavor is a fault”. I enjoyed it well enough but can’t in good conscience give it a high rating as it is so off-style.

RoyalT, Sep 21, 2005

I can't believe I am the first person to review this beer...huh? It was on at redbones last night, as part of their NW beerfest. Nobody drinks this in WA? Ok...cloudy, hazy tangerine in my pint glass, topped with a frothy white head. It leaves many rings in my glass as I enjoy. Solid medium body, with effective carbonation. Interesting tastewise: Intitial sip revealed malt with some citrusy hops in the finish. Subsequent sips revealed the same, with some bubblegum in the aftertaste. I had a pint, then later, another half. I found it thirstquenching and easy to drink.

PatandDavid, Nov 19, 2004
Loki Lager from Elysian Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.