Avatar Jasmine IPA - Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Todd on 12-21-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avatar Jasmine IPA Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -66.7%

Choo Choo... Sweet express is arriving at the station. If you want your tongue coated in sugar and the glorious mediocrity we've come to expect from Elysian, take a swig of this abortion of an idea. Anything you flavor your rice shouldn't flavor your beer. This brewery consistently flies way under my expectation and exulted taste. Don't waste your money on this Seattlite sewer water. Buy something that won't engage your gag reflex so strongly. (447 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -42.7%

Served straight pint glass. Poured a typical golden amber with just under an inch of foamy white head that had no retention or lacing.

The scent of jasmine hides the hop scents from the nose at first, but on second sniff they seem well blended. The same is not true of the flavor. The jasmine is so overpowering that the only way you can tell there hops in this IPA is by the dry finish.

The body is typical for the style. The drinkability is very poor, I struggled to finish my pint. Overall, try this if you're a beerhunter who wants this for his list, everyone else should avoid. (584 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -40.3%

22oz bottle

Pours a clear orange/brown color with a medium sized white head. I initially loved the idea of a truly floral IPA, i couldnt wait to get this thing home and crack it. I was a bit disappointed in its execution. Very floral and perfumey nose, the musty flower aroma overpowers any and all detectable hop presence. Come to think of it, this beer smells like the expensive soaps people keep in their bathrooms. Its got a silky and rather round body with super low carbonation and a bitter, stale hop aftertaste. This beer is just far to perfumey, for my tastes, leafy and powdery at times, i truly cant understand the type of hop character that was attempting to be achieved here. As the beer warms up it develops a gnarly aftertaste of sweet malt and chlorophyll. (773 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint.

Pours a glowing orange with a thick, foamy white head. Looks good, but unfortunately that's about the only kind thing I have to say about this brew. Nose and taste are overwhelmingly jasmine. That's about all I can say, not because I'm lazy or have a crappy palate but because it's so cloying I couldn't get past it. I honestly can't smell or taste anything else. Sounded like it might be a pleasant compliment but the jasmine kind of imparted something that reminded me of peas, or asparagus. I like Elysian but this is a total mess. (575 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance: Best part of the beer. Nice amber pour. Tiny bubbles linger.

Smell: Might be an old bottle but I get a musty, pale ale aroma. Biscuity and wet. There is a hoppiness about it, but not in an IPA sense. Apparently, there's supposed to be jasmine in here?

Taste: Much like the smell...Pale ale-ish. Little to no jasmine is detectable. Possibly in a slight bitterness after the hops hit. The hops are bitter, but muted in flavour. Oddly, I'm also tasting a bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Not bad. Standard for an IPA. Slight prickliness but smooth overall.

Drinkability: Well it's easy enough to drink, but would you want to? When I'm looking for an "American IPA" I look for a dynamic, adventurous beer. This is pedestrian.

Overall: I'd say this is just a touch too subtle in the hops/jasmine department to actually be called a "Jasmine IPA". More of a Jasmine APA, perhaps? I have a feeling this bottle is past its prime as the "drink before" date is only a month away. Probably already pushing 5 months old. However, if the brewery thinks it should fall acceptably within the IPA category at this point, I'd disagree. I'd love to try it fresh... (1,157 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -29.6%

on tap, into a shaker pint

A - looks good - a golden copper, slight haze; nice finger of off white head - fades quickly little lacing;

S - hints of floral/jasmine, and a little sweet malt; the nose is dominated by a husky graininess that is thoroughly unappealing; don't know what to make of it;

T - just like the nose - dominated by astringent grain husk; was the mill set too fine and they just didn't notice?

M - starts off fine, but then gains in astringency

O - this should be a good beer, but something isn't right; I don't like to write reviews of beers that I can't be positive about, but I feel that if I have this beer again in a few months it will be very different beer...we'll see (698 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

taste- bready, malty, sweet hops

color- gold/light-orange

clarity- clear

smell- bready, maly, delicate floral notes

body- light weight

appearance- thin white head, mild carbonation, head retention was minimal although on the second pour i was able to muster an ice cream thick head

overall impression- let down, not as i remembered at the oregon brewer's festival

notes and comments- availability:summer, dried jasmine flowers added in the boil and hopback, alcohol is masked, bottle says good until september '09, not picking up any of the floral notes the other reviewers are talking about...when i saw this beer i was so excited to take it home i bought two bottles. i have good memories drinking it at the brewery and other places but it does not translate in the bottle...maybe this one is off. i don't think this beer does justice to the ipa category...as the label states, it might be best judged as a herb/spice beer. this was a tough review to write because i'm a big cantwell fan. (997 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -28.3%

A: pours orange, with plenty of white head. Lacing can be seen through the hazy brew.

S: jasmine dominates, with hints of lemon and lime.

T: the ale is quite sweet, and overpowered with jasmine. There are no hop flavors, just jasmine.

M: medium body with a touch of carbonation, as well as astringency.

D: this beer is just too sweet to be an IPA. I would have like a little more subtlety with the jasmine. It is as though they went light on the hops in order to let the jasmine shine, leaving the beer terribly unbalanced and syrupy. Not one of my favorites. (563 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from bomber with a clear orange/amber/copper color. Very nice head.

Aroma is strong jasmine and slight sweetness and hops.

Flavor starts out with a very strong sweet jasmine flavor which lingers a long while. A bit of bitter and citrus hops but mostly sweet jasmine flavors throughout. My initial reaction was as though it was candy, though not in an all together positive manner.

Overall I am glad I tried this beer as I have never had anything like it. Though it is too sweet for me and a little much in terms of Jasmine. I give them credit for originality, perhaps this just isn't my thing.

Reviewed on: 01-11-2011 02:07:54 (796 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -24.3%

Look: Great golden hue; exactly what I look for in an IPA. Looks like a restraint on sweeter crystal malts and hopefully will present a nice dry finish.

Smell: Jasmine; huge flower scent very reminiscent of having your nose in a jasmine laced green tea. I wasn't expecting that much jasmine. Can't find any hops in there.

Taste: Exactly what I sniffed. Huge jasmine flavor followed by a dusty, slight biscuit malt character. The hops provide balance but this beer has no business putting IPA on its label. Where's the hop character? It has a refreshing dryness that definitely aids this beer and makes it very drinkable. If it was sweet, the jasmine would have been unwelcome.

It is a decent beer but I wish the jasmine was complimented by hops instead of (maybe, if they are there) overpowering them completely. For a person who doesn't like a lot of spiced or herbed beers, this is one I can drink and enjoy. I wouldn't seek it out again but am glad I got to try it. (971 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

I'd give it a higher rating if it cost me less. So I may seem a bit harsh but for the price it wasn't nearly as cracked up to be. The label is very pretty so very good for them there, perhaps I got more drawn in that way, not sure. The hops is a bit overdrawn and one dimensional. That's my main complaint but for an IPA is a pretty good size one. (347 characters)

Loads of thanks go out to n8dietz!~

Clear copper color with good head and strong, thick foam for all 22 ounces. Slight lacing after each sip and mediocre bubbling.

Very floral and earthy hop aroma. Just a faint whiff of toasted bread crust malts.

Lots interetsing floral hop and Jasmine flower flavors. But they don't come together well with teh toasted bread crust and water cracker malts. The finish is a musty bitterness and old bread flavor.

Palate is a little dry and resiny. This is an IPA if you like very earthy flavors with strong floral notes, and a malt bill that won't socialize with the hops. (610 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

The Jasmine Ipa poured an amber color with a single finger foam head and circular sea foam lacing. Head retention was minimal.

The aroma was a sweet flowery smell. The sweetness continued on with flavor category and was dominated by the sweet malt but not backed by much in the way of hop bitterness. I felt the bitterness was severely lacking. In the mouth it was thin and light. Overall I wasn't too impressed with the offering. (431 characters)

Draft into a mug @ Wegman's, Malvern.
Pours a hazy yellow/orange with a one-finger white head which dissapates to a coating. Some lacing, nothing special. Nose does have some jasmine but mostly sweet malt, flowery hops and lemon. Taste is not much like the IPA's I have had. No real hop profile and pretty sweet, with lemon, jasmine and some other herbs at the front. Not left with much that lingered from the last sip and no real bitterness at any point. Mouthfeel is nondescript light to medium with some carbonation. This wasn't an awful beer, just nothing I would go out of my way to get again. (598 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -19.5%

A - Poured 2/3rd of a bomber in to a New Belgium tulip with one finger of white head. A translucent orange, copper color that looks very appealing.

S - Floral smells of jasmine with a trace of hops.

T - An initial taste of slight bitterness of hops followed with a smooth transition to jasmine. The jasmine hangs around like a family member on a holiday weekend (tis the season!), not in a bad way but it keeps things interesting.

M - A smooth, medium body IPA.

D - I just described this beer to a friend as a beer that you stumble upon and order; you like it, it's interesting, you're glad you ordered it but unless you love your morning jasmine green tea, I'm not sure I'm ordering it again. (699 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

If your're looking for traditional IPA grab their Immortal IPA, this is the hybrid herbal flower Jasmine infused IPA where the floral aspects overshadow the hops, I did get some mild citrus and herbal bitterness from hops but the Jasmine smacked me around, a semi clouded golden copper orange hue with an off white khaki tinted head forming thick. Carbonation levels were dead on nothing cloying in the actual texture more the unrelenting bitterness from the Jasmine additions. Flavor wise a nice base beer as jaded by the Jasmine, I just didn't care for this combination or the fact that they have to get so creative with an already stellar style of beer, the IPA. Overall I think I said it, drink the Immortal and try a thimble full of this and move on. (755 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

First, thanks to [the friend who doesn't want her name posted in the internet] for bringing this beer back from her Seattle vacation for me. This may the first beer from the Pacific Northwest I've had a chance to sample, and I'm certainly grateful for the opportunity.

The bottle states that a bit of jasmine has been added to this otherwise traditional IPA. This is certainly intriguing, as lots of brewers are attempting to distinguish their IPAs from others. (Quite frankly, I'm not sure if I can even discern the taste of jasmine, so I may not be the best person to report on the finer points of this beer's flavor.)

It pours a hazy dark yellow into my Brooklyn pint glass. A thin near-white head appears, but not for long; it soon dissipates into a thin foam that nearly covers the entire surface. The aroma is heavy with citrus and floral scents. I don't detect any jasmine-y elements here, unless that's the floral aspect I'm describing. Anticipating the different flavors I may experience, I take a nice big swig. The front is dominated by sweet citrus and floral flavors, while the finish is almost entirely hops. In fact, this may the longest-lasting hop bitterness finish I've ever experienced in a beer; it really seems to go on and on! I believe the jasmine can be tasted up front, and it's more of the "essence" of jasmine. I was impressed by the creamy mouthfeel of this beer, especially for an IPA. The finish seemed almost biscuit-like.

All in all, it's certainly a nice IPA although I don't think it really stands out in the ever-growing field. I found it to be an enjoyable beer that I could certainly have again, but I may not choose it over some of my favorites. (1,692 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%

22oz bomber picked up on a road trip to the rocky mountain states.
A) Clear body. Copper in color. Pours with a finger thick head, creamy with a tight sticky lacing. Visible upward carbonation.
S) Sugary. Candy sweet aroma. Noticeable Jasmine.
T) Jasmine up front. Leafy. Quite overpowering. Astringent bite in the finish. Any sweetness from malt is shrouded by the in you face Jasmine.
M) Light to medium body. Dry. Strong tannin like feel in the aftertaste.
D) The Jasmine is a bit too much, but paired with some fruity food the edge is taken off. Straight up is a bit too much. (580 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -18.1%

My brother brought some Avatar Jasmine IPA on a camping trip, so I tried some, and made a few notes for the review. I poured this beer in to a pint glass.

Pours a dark gold color and is slightly hazy. A foamy white head forms and is only slightly resilient. The head produces some lacing.

The smell is very sweet and floral. Jasmine.

The taste is fruity, citrus, and a floral jasmine flavor. I’ve never eaten a jasmine flower before, but this might be what they taste like.

The mouth feel is light, crisp and refreshing.

This is a drinkable beer, and an interesting variation on the style. I think the jasmine thing is over done. I could pass on this one in the future. (690 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

More Elysian IPAs from the recent arrival to PA.

Avatar Jasmine from a bomber.

Whoops!!! I did NOT decant this sucker, and I've got shit specks and clumps running all around my glass. The brew amidst the gunk is a honeyed amber with an itty bitty white head that's a little thicker than one layer of bubbles.

Well, it smells like jasmine. Some other floral hops in there, too. There's also a Sweet Tart candy vibe going on that's a little strange. Semi-funky sweet pale malt contributing, also.

Big jasmine layer, not unlike sweetened jasmine tea. Spritzy floral hop gives it bitterness and some rosewater esters. The malt isn't intrusive like it was in the nose. A crisp cracker malt sturdies the brew and keeps back from the hop and herbal garden show. Nothing particularly exceptional going on here, but this combo makes for a potentially great combo to build a beer from. I dig the jasmine. The hops are still a little too subdued, which is a stinker because they're pretty valuable to the essence of this beer being a success. Wish there was more explosiveness.

I'm seriously trying to forget about the yeast dregs I must have stuck in my teeth at this particular moment and concentrate on body, carbonation, and drinkability. Medium-light body with some persistent carbonation. Decent to drink. Not overly bitter, which helps the feel but not the taste for this style.

I'm not going to 'dump' on this beer. There was nothing outstanding to speak of; just a nice herbal addition without the necessary clout of hops to hold it up. Didn't like the malt profile of this one, and I could have CERTAINLY done without the heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy bottle conditioning! But, who's to knock... a clean pour on-tap I would order and finish with some enjoyment. Sorry, but this one's barely above-average. (1,807 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a decent head that retains and laces reasonably well

Smell: Jasmine tea aroma wafts above with an underlying caramel malt beneath

Taste: Starts with a biscuity flavor that is joined, mid-palate, by the jasmine elements; after the swallow, the mentholated jasmine battles with the grainy hops and produces an unappealing combination

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A nice experiment, but the menthol element renders it unpalatable to me

Thanks, TheBungyo, for the experience; I was curious to try it and now I have done so (611 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance was nice golden with a nice fluffy white head

Smell not Much to the hops and very little trace of the jasmine, clean though.

Taste brings out much more flavor than the smell. Notes of mango with jasmine and a very light malt notes.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp

Overall I wasn't impressed nor was I disappointed. Solid beer . (344 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours out with a nice white head that was about 1cm thick. Color is golden-orange and clear. I took a nice whiff to get some aroma, but was surprised not to really smell much of anything. This didn't really bode well for the taste, which was equally kind of bland. I didn't taste anything to do with jasmine and only a mild hops flavor. I was actually kind of surprised that it was an IPA, because it tasted more like a pale ale. There was nothing bad about it, just not really a lot of hops or complexity and a bland taste. (524 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -15.5%

Looked interesting so I thought I'd try it, especially considering Jasmine Tea is my favorite tea. Pours a clear honey gold with a nice foamy off-white head and tons of little carbonation bubbles. Nose is wonderful- flowery hops, honey sweetness, and delicate jasmine. It's like a sweet fragrant dessert with hops. Where the nose succeeds, the taste falls short. It's way too flowery, like perfume. There's a long jasmine aftertaste. Some hops in the middle, but the flower finish kinda ruins it. Mouthfeel is pretty watery. Drinkability is ok- once your tastebuds adjust to the jasmine punch, you stop tasting as much perfume and the hops and malts come through. Not sure I would buy this again; I wish the taste could echo the wonderfully balanced nose. (755 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

22oz bottle into a FFF English pint glass. 29jan10 date on bottle. Looks like bbd is before it, best before date??

Pale golden yellow that's clear on first pour, cloudy on second. Small head with some pretty decent lacing and minor surface foam and a nice white collar.

Smells perfumy and estery with some minor hop bitterness in there too. Kinda spicy and a bit rustic too.

Taste is not very hoppy. It's kinda sweet and estery like a Belgian pale or strong golden ale. I didn't know what jasmine flowers smelled/tasted like but I do now. Definitely a perfumy quality to the beer. It's nice but not at all what I was expecting. I was thinking hoppy American IPA.

A bit syrupy on the mouthfeel and carbonation is a bit low. Perhaps drowned out because of the syrupy feel.

Drinkability is decent. Again I was expecting something different that I would take down a bit quicker. As it was I kinda nursed it after dinner. Glad I got to try but nothing I'd seek out. (969 characters)

Avatar Jasmine IPA from Elysian Brewing Company