Avatar Jasmine IPA - Elysian Brewing Company

good

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-21-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avatar Jasmine IPA Alström Bros
axeman9182

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

22oz bomber from Amanti Vino as part of their September beer club package. This one was poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Avatar Jasmine IPA pours orange, with tons of clementine highlights coming through under direct lighting, and just a little bit of cloudiness to it. The head/head retention/lacing from the first pour was a bit underwhelming, but the second pour led to three fingers of white foam, and well above average head retention and a good amount of lacing left behind. I'll split the difference for the appearance score. The nose is pretty interesting, headlined by a perfume-y jasmine aroma. There's also a solid bit of peach fruitiness, and just a hint of candy sugar sweetness. The flavor starts out fine, a little bit of sweet and then the jasmine and stone fruits creep in. Once the bitterness kicks in though it all goes wrong. The bitter bite and jasmine just clash horribly and don't go well together at all. As a result, the back end of just about every sip is a miss. The body's just a little bit too slick, and the carbonation not quite active enough, and so the mouthfeel can be called a little too syrupy to be great. The beer is just off on both counts though, so it's not as though the mouthfeel is bad. Avatar is certainly a unique take on an IPA, and I could see jasmine working well in a beer, but probably better off in a Belgian of some kind.

09-27-2011 04:54:01 | More by axeman9182
quirkzoo

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Beautiful golden pour with a nice amount of fine thick head that lasts and last. The aroma is almost purely Jasmine. For an IPA I was really looking for more balance between the Jasmine and hop aromas but all I got was pure jasmine. I tried to let it open up for a while but I still couldn't smell any hops. The taste is much more balanced than the nose. Still a strong jasmine presence but balanced with good hop bitterness and a touch of malt. Not a whole lot of complexity but a good balance between those elements. The mouthfeel was a touch thin but didn't detract from the experience. Overall it was an interesting brew. I think I would classify it more as a pale ale than an IPA, it just didn't have enough hop aroma for me to see it as an IPA. I also had it with an Asian stir fry and found it to be a good beer for such a situation, it is like a cross between Jasmine tea and beer, win/win.

09-21-2011 03:23:34 | More by quirkzoo
rfgetz

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a lightly hazed amber color with decent cap of white froth, minimal lacing. Scent is floral hops and bready malts with some notes of citrus, pine and very light caramel sweetness. Taste leads with a minimal bitter floral and faintly piney and citrus hop profile as well as floral and fragrant jasmine. Bready malts provide the backbone. Medium bodied, dry and slightly bubbly. Would have appreciated a little more aggressiveness from the wonderful scent and taste notes the jasmine provides.

09-19-2011 14:42:27 | More by rfgetz
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Elysian Fields in Seattle.

A: 1/8" white head over cloudy amber liquid.

S: Jasmine flowers and citrus hops.

T: Jasmine tea up front with citrus hops and a bitter finish.

M: Medium to thin viscosity and a medium to low level of fine carbonation.

O: An interesting beer, but not my cup of tea.

09-06-2011 06:23:01 | More by DaftCaskBC
alli4051

2.17/5  rDev -41.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint.

Pours a glowing orange with a thick, foamy white head. Looks good, but unfortunately that's about the only kind thing I have to say about this brew. Nose and taste are overwhelmingly jasmine. That's about all I can say, not because I'm lazy or have a crappy palate but because it's so cloying I couldn't get past it. I honestly can't smell or taste anything else. Sounded like it might be a pleasant compliment but the jasmine kind of imparted something that reminded me of peas, or asparagus. I like Elysian but this is a total mess.

09-05-2011 02:55:14 | More by alli4051
scottbrew4u

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pours Light amber in color with slight haze and a fine white head. The head leaves some lacing but a bit lacking.

S: Lightly roasted malts met with a nutty and floral combination that is very unique. It is like peanut butter and jasmine flowers together on bread. Some citric notes in there as well from the hops.

T: Bitter at first with a big dose of Jasmine and citric hops. Some toasted mellow malt gives some introduction. The malt is overtaken by the bitterness and the jasmine is unlike any flavor I have experienced in a beer. Not a bad thing just unique.

M: Medium body with small prickly carbonation.

D: Not as balanced as I would like for an IPA but I approve of the creative effort. It is still a very drinkable beer.

09-01-2011 00:51:56 | More by scottbrew4u
nezelrac

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

on tap, into a shaker pint

A - looks good - a golden copper, slight haze; nice finger of off white head - fades quickly little lacing;

S - hints of floral/jasmine, and a little sweet malt; the nose is dominated by a husky graininess that is thoroughly unappealing; don't know what to make of it;

T - just like the nose - dominated by astringent grain husk; was the mill set too fine and they just didn't notice?

M - starts off fine, but then gains in astringency

O - this should be a good beer, but something isn't right; I don't like to write reviews of beers that I can't be positive about, but I feel that if I have this beer again in a few months it will be very different beer...we'll see

08-27-2011 16:56:23 | More by nezelrac
drabmuh

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Beer is yellow with a mild hazy, lazy thin white head of small bubbles, some lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is nice and citrusy but overall weak, when you bill something as being "dry hopped with amarillo" it should smell like it.

Beer is sweet and really floral, finishing with a minimal bitterness, a nice not dry finish on a decent IPA. The flowers in this beer really adds to it. I think this is quite a good little beer and I would have it again.

08-22-2011 03:47:39 | More by drabmuh
tobelerone

Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Vigorous pour yields a nice foamy white head, which quickly dissipates leaving a thin filmy lace that clings to the glass..Nice cloudy amber color...aroma mildly redolent of jasmine flowers, continuing in the tasting. Hops are muted. Mouthfeel is creamy and pleasant, somewhat full for the style; good carbonation.

An unusual beer that's not very IPA-like but enjoyable nonetheless...not sure I would seek this one out again but glad I tried it.

07-30-2011 00:24:35 | More by tobelerone
Kegatron

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a couple fingers of bright-white head. This retains with roughly a finger of rich froth, coating the sides of the glass with sticky foamy lace. The jasmine gives the aroma a pleasant floral scent, which works well with the fruitiness of the hops. This is undercut by a fresh earthy bitterness. Sweet malts soften the edges of this up a bit but flowery textures here mostly control the nose.

The jasmine flavor also translates well to the taste, once again working in tandem with that soft fruitiness form the hops and the sweet graininess of the malts. This still however has a solidly fresh and leafy bitterness to it that cuts through the profile, leaving a dry pithiness in the finish that lingers some extra flowery accents. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a lively crispness that fills the mouth, yet this is still fairly smooth and slick feeling underneath. This has a very easy feel to it with no alcohol being detected, helping add to the overall drinkability of this.

I liked this. The jasmine definitely added something to this and worked well with the floral and fruit character that was already present from the hops. A well hid ABV and smooth body only added to the approachability here. A unique and tasty offering from Elysian.

06-27-2011 17:07:24 | More by Kegatron
ummswimmin

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

I had never had a beer seasoned with jasmine before. It made for the perfect type for a warm evening.

On the pour I had a lot of foam. I saw about three and a half fingers of nice, white head. It comes down with a little bit of patience. The remaining head makes for some nice lacing.

I tried to get the jasmine from smelling the head, but I couldn't pick it up at first. On the second pour I started to get some of the jasmine out of the bouquet. Both times I had some light, floral hoppiness.

The jasmine didn't come across in the taste of the first glass. It seemed like a stock IPA. I let the beer warm to really get out the flavor. For the warming I had some bitterness, but then the jasmine really comes out. I like this new taste, but I wish I didn't have to work for it.

Overall it is a pretty good beer, and there is something new to it. Just know that the jasmine doesn't come over the top until it warms.

05-31-2011 23:46:01 | More by ummswimmin
david18

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

This was my review of the bottled version:

I bought this beer because I had never had it but fully expected it to be too herby. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Jasmine was definitely noticable without being too overwhelming. Mostly like an IPA in color aroma and flavor with a slight herbal sense. Almost like a Rye Beer.

___

Overall, my impression of the draft version is much more like a standard IPA. Good, not great. A little on the cloudy side. Good and refreshing.

05-16-2011 19:28:11 | More by david18
colts9016

Idaho

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

I received this beer as a gift from a friend. I poured it into a pint glass at 44 degrees.

Appearance: A frothy one finger head that is ivory in color and has fair retention. The head on the beer did not leave any lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is orange copper with reddish hues. The clarity of the beer is clear with some slight haziness. There is carbonation and some yeast in the beer.

Nose: A perfume jasmine followed by floral bouquet, grapefruit, and some pine notes. The malt is has some caramel, biscuit and toasty notes. Other aromas in the beer are phenols and yeast.

Taste: The flavor of the beer is hoppy follow by perfume. The hops are floral esters, grapefruit and a touch of pine. The malt is has biscuit, caramel, and toasty notes. Other flavor is jasmine, phenols, and yeast.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is astringent, coating, and carbonated. The body of the beer is medium light and the finish is medium full. This is an interesting beer and a bit hard for me to drink. It is not my cup of tea; nonetheless, it is a good IPA and the jasmine just throws it off for me.

05-15-2011 22:58:03 | More by colts9016
Rifugium

3.18/5  rDev -14.5%

First had: bottle at Eulogy, Philly, PA

It was good, but it sounded like it would be better. Poured a clear amber with a moderate head that mostly dissipated. Floral and herbal aroma. Taste was of floral hops, and--sorry--stale malts, with jasmine and light spice peeking through. Medium mouthfeel, and somewhat drinkable, but a taste that just wasn't pleasant enough for me to desire more.

05-04-2011 13:54:45 | More by Rifugium
msubulldog25

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

22 oz. bottle, picked up this week at New Seasons. Poured to a pint glass. Enjoyed a number of times before, but this is the first one of the spring...

Label: 'A new incarnation of India Pale Ale with a refreshing blend of hops and malts and dried jasmine flowers added in the boil and hopback.'

A: Golden with a light-handed haziness. A scattering of carbonation, but nothing overly impressive. Head builds to just under a finger, a dense white that drops quickly but glues to the sides in lovely velvet curtains of lace.

S: Good aroma, a drifting perfume of sweet malts and sweeter flora. I might not pick out 'jasmine' necessarily, but it's certainly a soft 'blossom' fragrance, candy and a little anonymous fruit.

T: Light and, yes, 'flowery'... a soft and rather sweet IPA in a sea of PacNW hopbombs. I, for one, approve. A biscuity maltiness, caramel that's a bit buttery, fruit like sharp pears and apples and a crisp, biting hop spiciness. Seems to fall more in the realm of 'English IPA' or 'Pale Ale' for its grainy sugariness.

M: Remarkably soft and creamy-smooth. A little sticky and drier in the finish. Light-medium body that is *very* refreshing, juicy.

O: On my palate, a ridiculously easy to drink IPA - very little of the blatant bitterness I sometimes battle. I really enjoy the balance and the notable addition of dried flowers adds an interesting touch. Just don't know that I can grade this, overall, in the upper echelons when I compare it to all the awesome uber-flavorful IPAs out there. I appreciate this one for its subtleties and always keep it in mind when browsing the available (seasonal) IPAs, though I don't buy it as often as I probably should.

04-29-2011 22:51:28 | More by msubulldog25
Airyk12

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a medium, foamy, off-white head that leaves traces down the glass.

Definite herbal smell in the nose, from both the hops and the jasmine. Hints of fruit, and sweet malts.

Immediate notes of hops and malts in the taste, with hints of citrus and herbs. Smooth and slightly carbonated mouthfeel.

Definitely an interesting take on the style. Unique, and quite tasty. I would be happy to pick up another one down the road.

03-29-2011 04:21:06 | More by Airyk12
claytong

Vermont

2.93/5  rDev -21.2%

I'd give it a higher rating if it cost me less. So I may seem a bit harsh but for the price it wasn't nearly as cracked up to be. The label is very pretty so very good for them there, perhaps I got more drawn in that way, not sure. The hops is a bit overdrawn and one dimensional. That's my main complaint but for an IPA is a pretty good size one.

03-25-2011 00:54:05 | More by claytong
BabySnakes

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Semi cloudy deep straw yellow color. Creamy wet head.
Jasmine aroma dominates, there is some slight caramel sweetness underneath.
A mild, caramelly IPA at its base. The IPA style is very well balanced against the jasmine. Perfectly balanced, even. Flavor is a harmony of the two flavors as opposed to two flavors complementing, they form one. Like how Phil Spector would combine 2 instruments for one unique sound.
Very smooth wet creamy mouthfeel. Very well rounded and juicy for an IPA.
I could drink this all day. In fact...

03-15-2011 00:44:55 | More by BabySnakes
Patricksirishpub

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Had this on draught in my favorite beer tasting glass: St. Bernardus Watou.

Nose was the most incredible uniqueness - it's green tea, the good kind, not the fishy lipton kind.

Very light and drinkable considering this is an IPA, you may even miss the IBU's at start and think it is something lighter but hops do show through in a second. Finish is mouth drying with high tanin but overall much more drinkable than most IPA's, very interesting overall.

I'm a new student of beer trying to put my first impressions down so disregard if you like. Thanks

02-24-2011 21:13:11 | More by Patricksirishpub
Florida9

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Clear amber in color. Forms a good inch or so of spectacularly white head. Reduces down to a stable 1/4" of bubbly foam. Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet floral scent - actually beyond floral to the point of being perfumed. I guess it does smell like jasmine, but I would have never made the connection on my own.

T: Sweet, light, pale malt with a strong floral character bordering on being vinous, similar to a Austrian Riesling. Moderate bitterness on the finish.

M: Thin with appropriate carbonation. Sweet, but not cloying.

D: A decent beer, but too sweet for my tastes. However it seems to complement food very well.

02-12-2011 20:37:44 | More by Florida9
Haybeerman

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Clear orange/amber color. Poured a 2 finger fluffy off-white head that dissipated to an even skim. Decanted lightly throughout. Laced in thick patches.

S: Hello jasmine. Crackery malt and floral hops also readily apparent.

T: Just like the nose; more is not always better, so very nice balance with jasmine. A little resiny in the middle with some hop and malt character lingering in the finish

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Smooth, coating and mild.

D: Easily drinkable and worth a try as it is pretty unique. Nice balance and combination of hop and spices. Seems to work pretty good.

02-07-2011 20:28:54 | More by Haybeerman
Mora2000

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to 5000 for sending this bottle my way.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the flower and perfume. You can definitely tell there are flowers used in the brewing process. I also get some biscuit malt.

The flavor is very similar. The flowers are a little overpowering, but still go fairly well with the malt. Low bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

02-05-2011 03:06:58 | More by Mora2000
robbrandes

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Purchased a 22oz completely on a whim. I'm typically a little leery of 'gimmick' IPAs, but for whatever reason, Jasmine IPA caught my eye.

This beer poured a nice light amber, moderate~low carbonation, head quickly retreated to a thin film. Nice lacing, and the minimal head that remained did stay through the last swallow.

The jasmine is readily apparent in the nose. Not sure if that's good or bad, but certainly different!

Moderately hopped, although a bit thin. I actually took a couple sips while plugging my nose, just to get a better sense of the jasmine's presence in the taste. It's definitely there, not over-powering, but a completely different angle for a beer.

I wouldn't have thought to pair a (fairly fragrant) flower w/ any beer, let alone an IPA, but this combo seems to work fairly well. Glad I experienced it.

02-03-2011 05:19:37 | More by robbrandes
sprucetip

Alaska

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

From notes. Very clear, amber, moderately active, minimal head dissipates promptly. No lacing.

Grainy, floral hops, vaguely fruity and some booze.

Malty sweet mainly, with light floral hops and mild bitterness. Smooth and enjoyable, but not what I think of as an IPA. Maybe this is an old bottle?

Low carbonation, rich medium body, clean finish.

Again, maybe this is an old sample? But the hop character is weak, and does not meet expectations. Easy drinking, but hop heads may be disappointed.

02-01-2011 15:46:10 | More by sprucetip
washburnkid

A light beige head sits over somewhat cloudy amber. Aromas are fruity and sweet, indicating this might be a well balanced IPA. Flavors deliver just a light hoppy snap that is sweet on the back end. Only hints of breadiness, but they're pretty minor. The carbonation and mouthfeel are all good for an IPA. I love hoppy IPAs, but having one that is balanced brings me down from my West Coast hop love and obsession. I'd for sure have this one again.

01-29-2011 23:01:24 | More by washburnkid