Avatar Jasmine IPA - Elysian Brewing Company

good

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-21-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avatar Jasmine IPA Alström Bros

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a couple fingers of bright-white head. This retains with roughly a finger of rich froth, coating the sides of the glass with sticky foamy lace. The jasmine gives the aroma a pleasant floral scent, which works well with the fruitiness of the hops. This is undercut by a fresh earthy bitterness. Sweet malts soften the edges of this up a bit but flowery textures here mostly control the nose.

The jasmine flavor also translates well to the taste, once again working in tandem with that soft fruitiness form the hops and the sweet graininess of the malts. This still however has a solidly fresh and leafy bitterness to it that cuts through the profile, leaving a dry pithiness in the finish that lingers some extra flowery accents. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a lively crispness that fills the mouth, yet this is still fairly smooth and slick feeling underneath. This has a very easy feel to it with no alcohol being detected, helping add to the overall drinkability of this.

I liked this. The jasmine definitely added something to this and worked well with the floral and fruit character that was already present from the hops. A well hid ABV and smooth body only added to the approachability here. A unique and tasty offering from Elysian.

Kegatron, Jun 27, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

I had never had a beer seasoned with jasmine before. It made for the perfect type for a warm evening.

On the pour I had a lot of foam. I saw about three and a half fingers of nice, white head. It comes down with a little bit of patience. The remaining head makes for some nice lacing.

I tried to get the jasmine from smelling the head, but I couldn't pick it up at first. On the second pour I started to get some of the jasmine out of the bouquet. Both times I had some light, floral hoppiness.

The jasmine didn't come across in the taste of the first glass. It seemed like a stock IPA. I let the beer warm to really get out the flavor. For the warming I had some bitterness, but then the jasmine really comes out. I like this new taste, but I wish I didn't have to work for it.

Overall it is a pretty good beer, and there is something new to it. Just know that the jasmine doesn't come over the top until it warms.

ummswimmin, May 31, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

This was my review of the bottled version:

I bought this beer because I had never had it but fully expected it to be too herby. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Jasmine was definitely noticable without being too overwhelming. Mostly like an IPA in color aroma and flavor with a slight herbal sense. Almost like a Rye Beer.

___

Overall, my impression of the draft version is much more like a standard IPA. Good, not great. A little on the cloudy side. Good and refreshing.

david18, May 16, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

I received this beer as a gift from a friend. I poured it into a pint glass at 44 degrees.

Appearance: A frothy one finger head that is ivory in color and has fair retention. The head on the beer did not leave any lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is orange copper with reddish hues. The clarity of the beer is clear with some slight haziness. There is carbonation and some yeast in the beer.

Nose: A perfume jasmine followed by floral bouquet, grapefruit, and some pine notes. The malt is has some caramel, biscuit and toasty notes. Other aromas in the beer are phenols and yeast.

Taste: The flavor of the beer is hoppy follow by perfume. The hops are floral esters, grapefruit and a touch of pine. The malt is has biscuit, caramel, and toasty notes. Other flavor is jasmine, phenols, and yeast.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is astringent, coating, and carbonated. The body of the beer is medium light and the finish is medium full. This is an interesting beer and a bit hard for me to drink. It is not my cup of tea; nonetheless, it is a good IPA and the jasmine just throws it off for me.

colts9016, May 15, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

First had: bottle at Eulogy, Philly, PA

It was good, but it sounded like it would be better. Poured a clear amber with a moderate head that mostly dissipated. Floral and herbal aroma. Taste was of floral hops, and--sorry--stale malts, with jasmine and light spice peeking through. Medium mouthfeel, and somewhat drinkable, but a taste that just wasn't pleasant enough for me to desire more.

Rifugium, May 04, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz. bottle, picked up this week at New Seasons. Poured to a pint glass. Enjoyed a number of times before, but this is the first one of the spring...

Label: 'A new incarnation of India Pale Ale with a refreshing blend of hops and malts and dried jasmine flowers added in the boil and hopback.'

A: Golden with a light-handed haziness. A scattering of carbonation, but nothing overly impressive. Head builds to just under a finger, a dense white that drops quickly but glues to the sides in lovely velvet curtains of lace.

S: Good aroma, a drifting perfume of sweet malts and sweeter flora. I might not pick out 'jasmine' necessarily, but it's certainly a soft 'blossom' fragrance, candy and a little anonymous fruit.

T: Light and, yes, 'flowery'... a soft and rather sweet IPA in a sea of PacNW hopbombs. I, for one, approve. A biscuity maltiness, caramel that's a bit buttery, fruit like sharp pears and apples and a crisp, biting hop spiciness. Seems to fall more in the realm of 'English IPA' or 'Pale Ale' for its grainy sugariness.

M: Remarkably soft and creamy-smooth. A little sticky and drier in the finish. Light-medium body that is *very* refreshing, juicy.

O: On my palate, a ridiculously easy to drink IPA - very little of the blatant bitterness I sometimes battle. I really enjoy the balance and the notable addition of dried flowers adds an interesting touch. Just don't know that I can grade this, overall, in the upper echelons when I compare it to all the awesome uber-flavorful IPAs out there. I appreciate this one for its subtleties and always keep it in mind when browsing the available (seasonal) IPAs, though I don't buy it as often as I probably should.

msubulldog25, Apr 29, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a medium, foamy, off-white head that leaves traces down the glass.

Definite herbal smell in the nose, from both the hops and the jasmine. Hints of fruit, and sweet malts.

Immediate notes of hops and malts in the taste, with hints of citrus and herbs. Smooth and slightly carbonated mouthfeel.

Definitely an interesting take on the style. Unique, and quite tasty. I would be happy to pick up another one down the road.

Airyk12, Mar 29, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -21%

I'd give it a higher rating if it cost me less. So I may seem a bit harsh but for the price it wasn't nearly as cracked up to be. The label is very pretty so very good for them there, perhaps I got more drawn in that way, not sure. The hops is a bit overdrawn and one dimensional. That's my main complaint but for an IPA is a pretty good size one.

claytong, Mar 25, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Semi cloudy deep straw yellow color. Creamy wet head.
Jasmine aroma dominates, there is some slight caramel sweetness underneath.
A mild, caramelly IPA at its base. The IPA style is very well balanced against the jasmine. Perfectly balanced, even. Flavor is a harmony of the two flavors as opposed to two flavors complementing, they form one. Like how Phil Spector would combine 2 instruments for one unique sound.
Very smooth wet creamy mouthfeel. Very well rounded and juicy for an IPA.
I could drink this all day. In fact...

BabySnakes, Mar 15, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Had this on draught in my favorite beer tasting glass: St. Bernardus Watou.

Nose was the most incredible uniqueness - it's green tea, the good kind, not the fishy lipton kind.

Very light and drinkable considering this is an IPA, you may even miss the IBU's at start and think it is something lighter but hops do show through in a second. Finish is mouth drying with high tanin but overall much more drinkable than most IPA's, very interesting overall.

I'm a new student of beer trying to put my first impressions down so disregard if you like. Thanks

Patricksirishpub, Feb 24, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Clear amber in color. Forms a good inch or so of spectacularly white head. Reduces down to a stable 1/4" of bubbly foam. Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet floral scent - actually beyond floral to the point of being perfumed. I guess it does smell like jasmine, but I would have never made the connection on my own.

T: Sweet, light, pale malt with a strong floral character bordering on being vinous, similar to a Austrian Riesling. Moderate bitterness on the finish.

M: Thin with appropriate carbonation. Sweet, but not cloying.

D: A decent beer, but too sweet for my tastes. However it seems to complement food very well.

Florida9, Feb 12, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Clear orange/amber color. Poured a 2 finger fluffy off-white head that dissipated to an even skim. Decanted lightly throughout. Laced in thick patches.

S: Hello jasmine. Crackery malt and floral hops also readily apparent.

T: Just like the nose; more is not always better, so very nice balance with jasmine. A little resiny in the middle with some hop and malt character lingering in the finish

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Smooth, coating and mild.

D: Easily drinkable and worth a try as it is pretty unique. Nice balance and combination of hop and spices. Seems to work pretty good.

Haybeerman, Feb 07, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to 5000 for sending this bottle my way.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the flower and perfume. You can definitely tell there are flowers used in the brewing process. I also get some biscuit malt.

The flavor is very similar. The flowers are a little overpowering, but still go fairly well with the malt. Low bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 05, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Purchased a 22oz completely on a whim. I'm typically a little leery of 'gimmick' IPAs, but for whatever reason, Jasmine IPA caught my eye.

This beer poured a nice light amber, moderate~low carbonation, head quickly retreated to a thin film. Nice lacing, and the minimal head that remained did stay through the last swallow.

The jasmine is readily apparent in the nose. Not sure if that's good or bad, but certainly different!

Moderately hopped, although a bit thin. I actually took a couple sips while plugging my nose, just to get a better sense of the jasmine's presence in the taste. It's definitely there, not over-powering, but a completely different angle for a beer.

I wouldn't have thought to pair a (fairly fragrant) flower w/ any beer, let alone an IPA, but this combo seems to work fairly well. Glad I experienced it.

robbrandes, Feb 03, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

From notes. Very clear, amber, moderately active, minimal head dissipates promptly. No lacing.

Grainy, floral hops, vaguely fruity and some booze.

Malty sweet mainly, with light floral hops and mild bitterness. Smooth and enjoyable, but not what I think of as an IPA. Maybe this is an old bottle?

Low carbonation, rich medium body, clean finish.

Again, maybe this is an old sample? But the hop character is weak, and does not meet expectations. Easy drinking, but hop heads may be disappointed.

sprucetip, Feb 01, 2011

A light beige head sits over somewhat cloudy amber. Aromas are fruity and sweet, indicating this might be a well balanced IPA. Flavors deliver just a light hoppy snap that is sweet on the back end. Only hints of breadiness, but they're pretty minor. The carbonation and mouthfeel are all good for an IPA. I love hoppy IPAs, but having one that is balanced brings me down from my West Coast hop love and obsession. I'd for sure have this one again.

washburnkid, Jan 29, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a murky orange-brown. There's a nice foamy layer of white head.

I absolutely love the smell on this, but will admit that it may not be for most. It's heavy on the floral/perfume aspect. There's also a resemblance to white grape juice.

Taste is heavy on the jasmine, as if in tea. Floral hops, some tangerine, and sweet honey are in there, too.

Mouthfeel is thin and prickley. Definitely bitter.

A fun beer to drink, but the jasmine can be a bit much after a while. I'm glad to have tried this.

Vonerichs, Jan 22, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks again to the Bier Stein for stocking this beer.

A: Very copper brown

S: Floral aroma, light hops, very citrusy, and of course Jasmine

T: Nice hop flavor, tastes like edible flowers. A decent malt backbone that really goes down nice.

M: Goes down pretty. Not very smooth, but can definitely feel the carbonation in my mouth.

D: I would probably not drink this one again. Elysian makes some very good beers, this one is not one of them.

bradleyp, Jan 15, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

HAD to pick this one up when I saw it at Whole Foods...

Poured out of the 22, the body is hazy orange with lots of sedimentation. It looks more like a hefeweizen or a trippel than an IPA in that regard. It has a nice medium-thick white foam head and a good amount of lacing. I think this is unusually light and orange-colored for an IPA, but it is a nice, appetizing looking beer. Looks potent.

The smell is extremely fragrant jasmine--perfumy, in fact. There is some faint hop aroma, but the smell is mostly jasmine. If you don't like the smell of jasmine for its association with soap, girly stuff, or whatever, then you had best not even bother with this beer cuz we're talkin some serious JASMINE aroma here.

The taste when cold is jasmine, and not much else. From 50 degrees to room temperature, the taste is jasmine, light hops, and malty sweetness, followed by very bitter hops with the requisite tart, dryness of an IPA. The taste of jasmine is present all the way through the transitions from sweet to bitter and does not fade. Jasmine is even stronger in the lingering aftertaste than the hops is!

The feel is very frothy and nice. Good stuff.

This is very drinkable due to the masterful balance of sweet and bitter from the jasmine and malt. I had the first half with dinner and the second half for dessert so it was nice to experience this beer from multiple angles. I'm not a big IPA fan so I'd say this is better with food than solo, but it's still impressively approachable for an IPA. I'd also add that it's BEST COLD than cellar temp, unlike most IPA's I've tried.

This is my first sampling from Elysian and I am pleased. Avatar is an incredibly creative variation on an accepted style that actually ENHANCES the flavor of the beer rather than just shock you with weirdness and render itself almost like an inside joke that only the brewers and their beer-geek friends understand. Well done, Elysian, and thank you.

MadeInOregon, Jan 13, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

I picked this up at Monument Wines and Spirits the other day.

Appearance- coppery color, thin head

Smell- hops, jasmine

Taste- jasmine, hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was really good. The jasmine flavor was really good. Will have it again

jeffjeff1, Jan 11, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy orange body with a white head.

The aroma is enticing. My wife and I kept a huge jasmine bush on our porch this past summer. The aroma enveloped our entire yard. When we opened our kitchen window, in came that glorious smell. Our Summer was a wash with the scent of Jasmine. This beer smells like my summer. Fresh, natural jasmine, dank chronic, and a hint of citrus.

The flavor is equally saturated with jasmine. Caramel malt and a more traditional floral hop character emerge. The finish is citric with a mild to moderate bitterness.

Carbonation and body seem just right.

Avatar is not an IPA with a touch of jasmine, it is a Jasmine IPA. If you can handle the jasmine, if you can embrace it, then you will love this beer. I know I do. Jasmine is an incredible flavor that pairs so well with traditional IPA flavors. It may not be balanced, but it is a remarkably fresh take on the style. I'm all for more risk taking beers like this.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 06, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

All of my appearances are defaulted to 5.0 as i do not feel this is something to consider when evaluating a beer.

This was a very nicely balanced beer. Not a hop bomb like some people seem to expect. the jasmine note came out more as the beer warmed up and it worked very well with the hops. Definitely a good buy.

kbraniga, Jan 03, 2011

A - Poured 2/3rd of a bomber in to a New Belgium tulip with one finger of white head. A translucent orange, copper color that looks very appealing.

S - Floral smells of jasmine with a trace of hops.

T - An initial taste of slight bitterness of hops followed with a smooth transition to jasmine. The jasmine hangs around like a family member on a holiday weekend (tis the season!), not in a bad way but it keeps things interesting.

M - A smooth, medium body IPA.

D - I just described this beer to a friend as a beer that you stumble upon and order; you like it, it's interesting, you're glad you ordered it but unless you love your morning jasmine green tea, I'm not sure I'm ordering it again.

kiddwhiz, Dec 31, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Appearance: Best part of the beer. Nice amber pour. Tiny bubbles linger.

Smell: Might be an old bottle but I get a musty, pale ale aroma. Biscuity and wet. There is a hoppiness about it, but not in an IPA sense. Apparently, there's supposed to be jasmine in here?

Taste: Much like the smell...Pale ale-ish. Little to no jasmine is detectable. Possibly in a slight bitterness after the hops hit. The hops are bitter, but muted in flavour. Oddly, I'm also tasting a bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Not bad. Standard for an IPA. Slight prickliness but smooth overall.

Drinkability: Well it's easy enough to drink, but would you want to? When I'm looking for an "American IPA" I look for a dynamic, adventurous beer. This is pedestrian.

Overall: I'd say this is just a touch too subtle in the hops/jasmine department to actually be called a "Jasmine IPA". More of a Jasmine APA, perhaps? I have a feeling this bottle is past its prime as the "drink before" date is only a month away. Probably already pushing 5 months old. However, if the brewery thinks it should fall acceptably within the IPA category at this point, I'd disagree. I'd love to try it fresh...

Hornet2003, Dec 22, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

I have not been reviewing beers lately, but this one made me do so. It is just the most unique aroma I've ever smelled in a beer. As far as IPAs go, there is very little bitterness (good or bad). I've tasted pale ales with much more hoppiness than this one had.

That being said, very enjoyable, easy to drink and very nice.

Whether you want another or not after having it, you should absolutely buy it once and drink it. And I don't mean that in a goofy peanut butter and jelly beer or reuben beer kind of way...just something that people should taste.

a74gent, Dec 05, 2010